• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Probably too late, so I'll just list stuff I'll be checking out the first episodes of:

Pupa
Valvrave 2
Galilei Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Gingitsune
Gundam Build Fighters
Coppelion
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Kyousogiga
Kyoukai no Kanata
Hajime no Ippo: Rising
Kill la Kill

Varying expectations, hopes, etc.

May or may not be my final Fall list:

Infinite Stratos S2
Wrasslin Girls show
Kill La Kill
Galilei Donna
Non Non Biyori
Kikou Shoujo
Valvrave S2
Gingitsune
Golden Time
Kyoukai no Kanata
Coppelion
Yozakura Quartet
Kyousogiga
Pupa
Blazblue

Also, am I the only one looking forward to Kikou Shoujo? Yaya looks like the most adorable girl ever.

I think you convinced me some time ago, those thighs of hers are mighty fine.

Probably too late, so I'll just list stuff I'll be checking out the first episodes of:

Pupa
Valvrave 2
Galilei Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Gingitsune
Gundam Build Fighters
Coppelion
Kyousogiga
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill la Kill

No interest in cycling?

Kurita

Diamond no Ace
Samurai Flamenco

But I know I'll stop watching after 3 episodes (and I already read Diamond no Ace so watching it is a bit pointless).
Waiting for the superior Jdramas to be announced.

Finalow

ibh6CWyattsCYX.gif

I probably missed a trick by not using ponpo's smug face.
I never saw this gif before (really), delicious.

Kurita

I'll probably wait and see what the initial reception is like. Stuff like Non Non Biyori and Log Horizon goes here too.

For what it's worth, I liked the few chapters of Yowamushi Pedal I read, but hey, it's still your classic sports shounen.

cajunator

Banned
May or may not be my final Fall list:

Infinite Stratos S2
Wrasslin Girls show
Kill La Kill
Galilei Donna
Non Non Biyori
Kikou Shoujo
Valvrave S2
Gingitsune
Golden Time
Kyoukai no Kanata
Coppelion
Yozakura Quartet
Kyousogiga
Pupa
Blazblue

I think you convinced me some time ago, those thighs of hers are mighty fine.

NAKAMA :D

Jex

Pupa
Valvrave 2
Galilei Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Gingitsune
Gundam Build Fighters
Coppelion
Kyousogiga
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill la Kill

It sounds like a pretty killer season just in terms of the variety of works that might turn out to be good. I'd also like to take this time to point out that this was probably one of the better Summer's on record in terms of content.

Syrinx

I'll definitely watch Kill La Kill, and will probably watch Samurai Flamenco and Galalei Donna since those also look interesting.

Things I have some interest in watching but doesn't mean I actually will:

Diabolik Lovers
Log Horizon
Daiya no A
Pokemon X/Y
Meganebu
Kuroko no Basket 2
Galilei Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Gingitsune
Strike the Blood
Kyoukai no Kanata
Ore oh god why is this name so long
Yozakura Quarter ~Hana no Uta~
Kyousogiga
Blazblue

Shergal

It sounds like a pretty killer season just in terms of the variety of works that might turn out to be good.

You know, I feel like this sort comment has been a constant when anticipating upcoming seasons lately. This Fall feels like it can live up (in spite of Watanabe betraying everyone), but most of the time the "variety" gets reduced to a couple of good works surrounded by disappointments :(

Jarmel

Banned
Monogatari 10-

This was a much better arc that was tighter but suffered from one major flaw.

THE FUCKING KIZUMONOGATARI MOVIE! WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?

It's apparent that the movie needed to come out before this arc, and probably the prior one as well, for proper context and it's really frustrating as you can see the conflict in Shinobu but it really needs to be fleshed out.

I will say though that the music in this arc was absolutely fantastic.

Still though, this was another fantastic episode. 2/2 on climaxes (and headpats) this season. It's also becoming apparent that the major theme this season is the fallout from dating Senjougahara.

Also disappointed at the lack of Mayoi fanservice.

Jex

You know, I feel like this sort comment has been a constant when anticipating upcoming seasons lately. This Fall feels like it can live up (in spite of Watanabe betraying everyone), but most of the time the "variety" gets reduced to a couple of good works surrounded by disappointments :(

When you have a large number of shows being produced every season it's pretty clear that they can't all be good. How excited you should get about any particular title is really up to you because it's something that you should take on a case by case basis. I tend to consider the quality of the source material, the pedigree of the staff and the quality of the studio into account. Somethings are surer bets than others: Hajime no Ippo, for example, is going to be an adaptation of a manga that's being adapted fairly well before so I have no doubt it will turn out to be okay.

Galilei Donna
Samurai Flamenco
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kill La Kill

Seems to be the only ones that grabbed me with the little research I bothered doing.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 8

What can we say? Girls love shiny poles (KIDS SHOW)

Peridot was pretty cool. Anyway there's some special stones for our humans to get that'll grant them super special awesome, and they're correspondent to who they decided to pair up with. Red of course... gets thrown under the bus again, and Pink is pretty much the real main lead. Decostones also have different powers, one of the types can actually talk (this one possessed Opal though.)

ADVENTURE

cajunator

Banned
I'll probably check out some of the other stuff if others say it's good, but those are the three I really have my eye on. Especially KLK.

KLK and Kikou Shoujo are the only definites for me.
Will have to see how everything else develops. Probably the KyoAni one too.

If there's anything I've learned from my time watching TV anime, it's that it's impossible to predict exactly which shows will end up enjoyable and which won't before they air. Things which have a lot of promise end up being executed poorly and things which seem to have little promise end up being executed very well. That's the nature of the medium. It's better to take things as they come rather than be obsessed over the gap between expectations and reality. I speak from personal experience here.

At any rate, regardless of the quality of any individual show, I think a variety of different kinds of works being produced and a fair number of anime-original IPs is a good sign for the industry at large. Taking risks doesn't always pan out, but if you don't take them great works are unlikely to be made.

Highschool Dxd New - 10

Hum it seems that they have changed a number of things from the book to keep their 13 ep pacing ... First part was well done with DAT AKENO MOMENT..followed by the rias problem ( huge problem that won't be solved anytime soon ) .. as for the meeting ...
It seem that they plan to give more action to the cast and thus bridge the effect for the events of volume 7 that way ...

In short the very likely changes for episode 11 are :

-Koneko trying to save gasper but failing ( fanservice moment ? )
-irina & xenovia forced teamwork ( they are in a cold moment because irina is not supposed to be there ... that will probably help when she will join the cast as a permanent member
-kiba will probably clean the chaos brigade member
REMEMBER : all those characters are supposed to be out of commission for this arc ..

Will we see serafall fighting ? if so ... how ? with sona perhaps ? that semes unlikely given what her opponent is.

For once the next episode is a total unknow ... they are annonced a lot of changes so there is no way it's gonna be like in the books.
I hope they won't mess up too much

Jarmel

Banned
Let me say this, the scene where Shinobu and Arararagi are marching off has the best theme song/OST piece I've heard this summer in an anime.

cajunator

Banned
If there's anything I've learned from my time watching TV anime, it's that it's impossible to predict exactly which shows will end up enjoyable and which won't before they air. Things which have a lot of promise end up being executed poorly and things which seem to have little promise end up being executed very well. That's the nature of the medium. It's better to take things as they come rather than be obsessed over the gap between expectations and reality. I speak from personal experience here.

At any rate, regardless of the quality of any individual show, I think a variety of different kinds of works being produced and a fair number of anime-original IPs is a good sign for the industry at large. Taking risks doesn't always pan out, but if you don't take them great works are unlikely to be made.

Exactly. You have unexpectedly good shows. Nobody really thought Love Lab would be as good as it is for example.

Shergal

That I can certainly agree with.

I get what you and Jexhius are saying, but for certain shows I can't help my expectations. I actually try to mostly have low-average expectations, even if I'm a sucker for the staff involved or the source material, because there's nothing to lose from it; sometimes (most times) it gets kinda hard and that's when they get you!

Jex

Let me say this, the scene where Shinobu and Arararagi are marching off has the best theme song/OST piece I've heard this summer in an anime.

In all the areas that SHAFT under perform they usually do okay with music, surprisingly.

Aria the Natural 1

This first episode was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a long time and the first thing they say to so you is "PUNYU PUNYUUUUUUU". We're already starting out with an episode on par or greater than the best episodes of the first season so I have a feeling I'm going to love the many more episodes to come.

Aria the Natural 1

This first episode was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a long time and the first thing they say to so you is "PUNYU PUNYUUUUUUU". We're already starting out with an episode on par or greater than the best episodes of the first season so I have a feeling I'm going to love the many more episodes to come.

Aria is one of those rare series that really get better and better with each season. Animation was alright, Natural was already great and Origination is damn masterpiece. In my top 5 ever anime list.

Blood Lad 10

Enjoyable shonen seinen, while I loved the pacing I hate the fact it means we may not see a season 2 for 2-3 years if we ever get one. Will check out the manga had a lot of fun with this and this is a horrible cut off point as it doesn't resolve anything, it literally just stops like there should be another episode that won't come for who knows how long.

Blood Lad 10

Enjoyable shonen, while I loved the pacing I hate the fact it means we may not see a season 2 for 2-3 years if we ever get one. Will check out the manga had a lot of fun with this and this is a horrible cut off point as it doesn't resolve anything, it literally just stops like there should be another episode that won't come for who knows how long.

This is exactly (minus that very last scene with the brother) how Volume 6 (Vol.3 in America) ends!

This is probably the best place for the anime to end considering the length of the manga and what probably happens in the upcoming volumes.

This is exactly (minus that very last scene with the brother) how Volume 6 (Vol.3 in America) ends!

This is probably the best place for the anime to end considering the length of the manga and what probably happens in the upcoming volumes.

So they merge two Japanese volumes into 1 American version? Guess I can't complain about that will make it easy to own the whole series.

Jarmel

Banned
In all the areas that SHAFT under perform they usually do okay with music, surprisingly.

I'm really surprised as I didn't think the music in the Hanekawa arc was really that noteworthy. The Mayoi stuff has been great though. All the discussion yesterday really brought up my feelings on composers and something I feel about music in general is that it should emphasize the mood, not overtake it. I will admit that the responsibility doesn't rely only on the composers but also the direction as well.

Mr.Jeff

Happy belated birthday Deputy Dangle!

Kamichu 12 (END)
The concept was a nice change of pace from your typical "girls go to school, girls venture in and around school" ordeal and the cast of characters were also enjoyable (Yurie blush is DA BES). The only real complaints about the show is that the episodes that didn't heavily involve the concept of Yurie being a god were kind of eh, and that sometimes the QUALITY was pretty strong.
That's pretty much my thoughts on the series; there were a lot of dull episodes such as the
aliens
episode and such but they're on the whole out-weighted by other episodes where the focus is more maintained on the group or Yurie. Her blushes are simply a miracle of the universe though.

Aria the Natural 1
We're already starting out with an episode on par or greater than the best episodes of the first season so I have a feeling I'm going to love the many more episodes to come.
Firehawk may kill be but overall I didn't like The Natural as much as the first or third seasons. Perhaps because I watched all of it within the space of a week but while a lot of the episodes had good content, it felt like it was dragging on continuously in the same vein when the other two series had a more clearly defined pace matching the number of episodes.

:( I can see his point at times, esp. about the IRC.
I'm a bit of a newcomer to IRC and I can certainly see why the image spam can be annoying but really, I find it tends to be links slipped into a conversation already in place be it one of duckrolls's "no your mom" rants or even last night when Hosanna, Gennejin and a few others were having a discussion about soundtracks and composers.

This never would have happened if we had Anime Thread A and Anime Thread B.
(LotGH spoiler, don't read this Shard) This never would have happened if
Kircheis
were here...

Who ISNT into megane?
I will go on record for hating 99% of glasses characters. Nagato and Homura are both improved by not having glasses.

Edit: Damn, I missed the original quote I was replying to.
You mean better than.
While the second OP was catchy, I prefer the first one. Plus it doesn't have this ambiguous line

cnet128

Banned
Watamote 10

Best. OP transition. Ever.

Also, anyone who was vainly hoping for a happy ending for Tomoko from this show should just stop this episode at or shortly before the 21 minute mark and pretend the series ended there. That's probably the closest thing you're going to get.

cajunator

Banned
That I can certainly agree with.

I get what you and Jexhius are saying, but for certain shows I can't help my expectations. I actually try to mostly have low-average expectations, even if I'm a sucker for the staff involved or the source material, because there's nothing to lose from it; sometimes (most times) it gets kinda hard and that's when they get you!

I usually look for cute girls or an interesting premise. Hopefully both at once.

That's pretty much my thoughts on the series; there were a lot of dull episodes such as the
aliens
episode and such but they're on the whole out-weighted by other episodes where the focus is more maintained on the group or Yurie. Her blushes are simply a miracle of the universe though.

I think that episode would have been somewhat better if it was in the second half of the show, since I think that was more absurdity than I needed that early in the show. I think I would have been fine without CAT FIGHT CLUB too.

Firehawk may kill me but overall I didn't like The Natural as much as the first or third seasons. Perhaps because I watched all of it within the space of a week but while a lot of the episodes had good content, it felt like it was dragging on continuously in the same vein when the other two series had a more clearly defined pace matching the number of episodes.

I'll have to wait and see since the first Natural episode was pretty much everything I loved about the first season (AFAIK anyway, it's been too damn long since I watched the first season and my memory's awful).

Andrew J.

We posting Fall watchlists now?

Galilei Donna
Kill-la-kill
Kyoukai no Kanata
Valvrave S2

Pretty short list this season, although inevitably there'll be something else that catches on with the thread that I'll have to watch just to maintain cultural literacy.

We posting Fall watchlists now?

Galilei Donna
Kill-la-kill
Kyoukai no Kanata
Valvrave S2

Pretty short list this season, although inevitably there'll be something else that catches on with the thread that I'll have to watch just to maintain cultural literacy.

Oh we are? Is no one not going to watch the first three episodes of every anime?

My list:
Diabolik Lovers
Log Horizon
Nagi no Asukara?
Phi Brain Puzzle of God 3rd Season
Daiya no A
Gundam Build Fighters
Meganebu!
Kill la Kill
Kuroko's Basketball Second Season
Magi Second Season
Valvrave Second Season
Samurai Flamenco
Yowamushi Pedal
Strike The Blood
Little Busters! - Refrain
Bushiroad
BlazBlue
Super Seisyun Brothers
-
Coppellion

--
Probably more depending on whats streamed on the services like Crunchyroll/Hulu/Funi and if I dont get too caught up into Disgaea D2, want max my skulls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom