• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

The most expensive Japanese animation production ever ($30M), Captain Harlock, with an all star cast and soulless automaton looking characters, bombed horribly last weekend, making only 134 million yen ($1M dollars) and got its shit pushed in by the 8th week of Kaze Tachinu which did 400 million yen.

This is a bright day for traditional animation.

Cwarrior

The most expensive Japanese animation production ever ($30M), Captain Harlock, with an all star cast and soulless automaton looking characters, bombed horribly last weekend, making only 134 million yen ($1M dollars) and got its shit pushed in by the 8th week of Kaze Tachinu which did 400 million yen.

Toei is like disney Japanese and this is there mini tiny scale john carter bomba then (if it doesn't make it's money back, hopefully it doesn't).

That $30 million shows, easily the best anime cg by far, it looks near videogame cg quality

I wonder what that this news means for the CG saint seiya movie they where making.

Fujoshis somehow love the ugly characters.

They arent ugly :(
tumblr_mk5l5aIY2H1rzxv37o1_500.jpg

Fujoshis somehow love the ugly characters.

That didn't answer my question of how they can keep the plot going for so long. I don't even understand if the givers are bad guys or just people who like death games with crazy awesome prizes.

Phi Brain 2

Galileo is annoying, why do I get the feeling he's going to be a main characters :/

Also the solution to this episode's unwinnable puzzle was bull, nothing in the game up to that point indicated you could have the cars bang into each other on the grid.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Natural 1

This first episode was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a long time and the first thing they say to so you is "PUNYU PUNYUUUUUUU". We're already starting out with an episode on par or greater than the best episodes of the first season so I have a feeling I'm going to love the many more episodes to come.

Aria is one of those rare series that really get better and better with each season. Animation was alright, Natural was already great and Origination is damn masterpiece. In my top 5 ever anime list.
Yay, more Aria fans!

Firehawk may kill be but overall I didn't like The Natural as much as the first or third seasons. Perhaps because I watched all of it within the space of a week but while a lot of the episodes had good content, it felt like it was dragging on continuously in the same vein when the other two series had a more clearly defined pace matching the number of episodes.
The thing that makes The Natural episodes different is that it's about the world and the characters living in it rather than the larger arc about how the three leads become Singles. That's not to say that I don't like The Animation or The Origination, but it's nice to see them just *be* without having to worry about their exams and so forth.

That said, The Natural is also when it gets fairly
supernatural with the Cait Sith stuff
, so... there's that. lol

I'm a bit of a newcomer to IRC and I can certainly see why the image spam can be annoying but really, I find it tends to be links slipped into a conversation already in place be it one of duckrolls's "no your mom" rants or even last night when Hosanna, Gennejin and a few others were having a discussion about soundtracks and composers.
Just wait until you experience Izayoi/cuilan time! lol

I'm reminded of this segment of the Variety review of the film:

The odd thing is that, especially for Western audiences used to more expressiveness in animated character design, the faces here seem to have all been injected with cartoon Botox, given how static they are in relation to the rest of teeming visual world Aramaki and Co. have created. One can only presume this is a cultural or aesthetic decision, so that everyone should appear congruent with the limited-movement look of the original series. Indeed, a lot of Japanese animation, especially more laddish fare like this, shows the same disconnect between statue-like characters and hyper-detailed surroundings.

I feel bad for the person for whom Aramaki CG is the quintessential example of Japanese animation.

Syrinx

Love Lab 3

They're all in the SC now? But...but...war were declared...Ah hell, I'll see where it goes. War would've been more fun though. And they kinda seemed to miss the point that people were pretty pissed when they found out they were using the SC office as a love lab instead of doing actual work. I guess Maki got it all done anyway though. But now she's learned to ask others for help. Yay. More time for practicing love. They need an actual lab though, with science shit and whatnot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, the name of the site's p. self explanatory.
I feel like I'm killing the joke by trying to explain it, but is the only anime connection basically comes down to someone used "baka" in a tweet and then the guy asked that person if they were female?

wonzo

Banned
I feel like I'm killing the joke by trying to explain it, but is the only anime connection basically comes down to someone used "baka" in a tweet and then the guy asked that person if they were female?
the dudes an anime nerd saying some stupid ass shit. geez

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the dudes an anime nerd saying some stupid ass shit. geez
This is probably the moment where I say I'm too old for twitter and stick to reading NeoGAF or Reddit posts because the point is still whooshing over my head. lol
(I don't see how it's clear any of them are anime nerds outside of their avatars)

wonzo

Banned
This is probably the moment where I say I'm too old for twitter and stick to reading NeoGAF or Reddit posts because the point is still whooshing over my head. lol
(I don't see how it's clear any of them are anime nerds outside of their avatars)
There's links on the site and the dude's a mad anime & wrestling fan.

also

animesostwittermad.png

e: there's more to this if you scroll through the colony drop twitter feed. it's p. hilarous

Love Lab 3

They're all in the SC now? But...but...war were declared...Ah hell, I'll see where it goes. War would've been more fun though. And they kinda seemed to miss the point that people were pretty pissed when they found out they were using the SC office as a love lab instead of doing actual work. I guess Maki got it all done anyway though. But now she's learned to ask others for help. Yay. More time for practicing love. They need an actual lab though, with science shit and whatnot.

You're looking for this kind of love lab.

Yes! Precure 5 The Movie: Kagami no Kuni no Miracle Daibouken!

Well, that was a pretty fun movie! Certainly a step up from Splash Star's, if nothing else. The antics at the beginning were probably the highlight (everyone dressed up as princesses and having a fine old time, plus a fair amount of Nozomi-Coco shipping because that's always adorable), but there was a lot to like throughout.

The evil doppelganger gimmick with the Dark Precure worked pretty well here, since it fit neatly into the "mirror" theme of the whole movie, and certainly made things more interesting than generic scrub villains or monsters to fight would have been. For the most part all they really served to accomplish in the end was some nice flashy fight scenes (awwww yeahhhhh Cure Aqua lightsaber duel), but
it was touching when Dream managed to win over her own not-so-evil clone. Dark Dream's subsequent self-sacrifice and death-with-a-smile was predictable as fuck, but still managed to bring a slight tear to my eye. Awwwwww, friendship.

There were also a remarkable number of parallels with the finale to the actual series here, what with
the enemies disguising themselves as Coco to take the Dream Collet, right down to Milk almost falling for it and handing it to them, but unlike with Kawarino, Nozomi actually got there first this time.
Not that it mattered, since
the Dream Collet ended up stolen anyway, and so, after a little mirror magic to deal with the Pinky deficit, we got a similar "oh noes" scene to the series finale where the Collet got used by the bad guy. A different resolution here, though, where it turned out it didn't actually work because one last Pinky was still in Urara's Catcher. I found that little twist both amusing and satisfying.

Come to think of it, if we treat this movie as canon...
Since Shadow literally managed to fill up the Collet with every last Pinky but one, shouldn't the Cures' Pinky-collecting task have been complete once they got the Collet back? Or did half (or all?!) of the Pinkies conveniently re-escape when Shadow's wish attempt failed...?

Anyway... This movie marks my first outing with the MIRACLE LIGHT audience-participation gimmick, which fit in well enough I guess. If only I had my own to take part!
buyourmerchandisebuyitall

Oh, and a slight lol at the "Super Precure" transformation at the end. Sure, giving everyone butterfly wings looked kind of neat, but they weren't actually utilised in the slightest. They were just pasted shamelessly on to the existing DIVEBOMB DESTRUCTION stock footage. C'moooooon, guys, you could've tried a liiiiiittle harder than that.

Ah well, at least we got a reworked Ganbarance de Dance at the end with everyone in their princess outfits. That clearly had more effort put into it than the finisher. lol.

Some things to note ...
-This movie is unfortunatly in the top 3 best precure movie .
-The super transformation served his purpose ..more toys , more merchandise.
-Fun fact the reaction to this movie influenced directly the Second season ( in more ways you can't imagine yet )
-You're not gonna stop drawing parrallels to the serie at this rate.
About your spoiler :
Don't worry about it

Phi Brain 1

Not sure what to make of this show, the main character gets a magic mcguffin that allows him to unlock the full power of his brain which seems to enable him to win life or death puzzles. Most of the puzzles flash by so quickly even if you wanted to solve them it's impossible though I'm not sure if that is the point or not. The solution to the unsolvable maze was pretty clever and I hope we see more stuff like that in the future.

Not sure how this premise is going to last for a 25 episodes season... or a second 25 episodes season... and fuck we're getting another 25 episode season next month right :O
It's a nice serie... however don't think too much about the puzzle themselves but more about what is happenning during the puzzles ... it's anime whose goal is not to make you think , but to let you ride a big wave.
Some of the puzzles in the franchises are clearly doable so you can try if you want , ..but i'd advise about making that your goal...
They arent ugly :(
tumblr_mk5l5aIY2H1rzxv37o1_500.jpg

Arf DTL , you could have used another picture for making your point !
That didn't answer my question of how they can keep the plot going for so long. I don't even understand if the givers are bad guys or just people who like death games with crazy awesome prizes.

Phi Brain 2

Galileo is annoying, why do I get the feeling he's going to be a main characters :/

Also the solution to this episode's unwinnable puzzle was bull, nothing in the game up to that point indicated you could have the cars bang into each other on the grid.

Anything that is not prevented by the opening game rules is possible ..that's how it works

Branduil

Obviously means it's time to abandon 3D animation for 4D animation.

Some things to note ...
-This movie is unfortunatly in the top 3 best precure movie .
-The super transformation served his purpose ..more toys , more merchandise.
-Fun fact the reaction to this movie influenced directly the Second season ( in more ways you can't imagine yet )
-You're not gonna stop drawing parrallels to the serie at this rate.
About your spoiler :
Don't worry about it

!

-Might have to agree, not sure what your second best is.
It's not the GoGo movie is it?
-Pretty much
-Inform this to me (Beyond... I guess the possibility of making the sequel) I think I can recall some influences.

Phi Brain 3

Wow are all of the titles annoying -.- first Galileo now Edison

More enjoyable puzzle and villain then the last episode. I felt smart when I guessed it was a magic box puzzle before the series explained it.

My only fear with this series is that some puzzles are going to be lost in translation which is par for the course in series like these when games that rely on Japanese word play.

-Might have to agree, not sure what your second best is.
It's not the GoGo movie is it?
-Pretty much
-Inform this to me (Beyond... I guess the possibility of making the sequel) I think I can recall some influences.

1> i meant that it's ranked 3rd... i put the first Dx movie in first position as well as the heartcatch movie

My top 5 would be :
1) Dx movie 1
2) Heartcatch movie
3) Yes precure movie
4) Max heart movie 2
i have a hard time what to put in 5th place

5)Yes precure gogo
5)Smile movie
It's a tie

About the influences the biggest is a VERY HIGH SPOILER FOR GOGO :
Everyone ultimate transformation at the end of GoGO

1> i meant that it's ranked 3rd... i put the first Dx movie in first position as well as the heartcatch movie

My top 5 would be :
1) Dx movie 1
2) Heartcatch movie
3) Yes precure movie
4) Max heart movie 2
i have a hard time what to put in 5th place

5)Yes precure gogo
5)Smile movie
It's a tie

About the influences the biggest is a VERY HIGH SPOILER FOR GOGO :
Everyone ultimate transformation at the end of GoGO

You know I wasn't even thinking of the All Stars movie at the time, but I do think DX1 is pretty good though.

As for that influence, it's no wonder I don't really know. Never watched it due to how things are incomplete.

Tokyo Mew Mew 5

Well what do you know, stripping a girl against her will and then making her wear a leotard is enough to get her to do Rhythmic Gymnastics. Boring otherwise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anyway, as far as the fall season goes, I have not mapped it out since my approach is to typically watch what comes and continue or drop on that basis. Well, actually, one thing I will say is that anything with a season 2 will probably not be watched because I didn't watch that season and I don't have time to watch that season.

Jarmel

Banned
Wolf's Rain 20

It's interesting how both this and Cowboy Bebop feature mystics who appear to be Native American, living traditional lives in stark contrast to the world around them. I suppose it's a culture Keiko Nobumoto is especially fascinated by. I'd like to ask her about that if no one else has.

Jarmel

Banned
Wolf's Rain 20

It's interesting how both this and Cowboy Bebop feature mystics who appear to be Native American, living traditional lives in stark contrast to the world around them. I suppose it's a culture Keiko Nobumoto is especially fascinated by. I'd like to ask her about that if no one else has.

It's very much an American concept so it's kinda interesting that Nobumoto does it in the first place.

One Piece - 01

Finally starting/restarting this. Interesting how they skipped the first chapter and went straight to Alvida, though it kinda makes sense since it probably wouldn't do well for a first episode of an anime. Luffy comes off as being innocent, stupid, and an ass all at the same time and it's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom