• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

BOSS DOGS
-KIll la Kill
-Aikatsu s2

TOP DOGS
-Kyousogiga
-Galilei Donna
-Kyoukai no Kanata

DOGS
-Yozakura Quartet
-Samurai Flamenco
-VVV2
-Gundam BF

PUPPIES
-Gingitsune
-Coppelion
-Pupa
-Non Non Biyori

STILL BIRTH PUPPIES
-Everything else

Cwarrior

Hajime-no-Ippo-The-Fighting-Rising-visual.jpg

This is all I need from this season.

Last 2 season where incredible easily in my top 2 animes.Based on great source material(manga by george morikawa) brought to you by the same studio that's given us the previous thrilling two seasons(Madhouse).

With Hunter x hunter and now Hajime no ippo, Madhouse is certified Godhouse.

I don't expect any of the other animes to be any good, I'll maybe watch space dandy it might be half decent and I'll watch some sakuga mad for Kyousogiga.

You know, I feel like this sort comment has been a constant when anticipating upcoming seasons lately. This Fall feels like it can live up (in spite of Watanabe betraying everyone), but most of the time the "variety" gets reduced to a couple of good works surrounded by disappointments :(

I don't know what you mean?,he better not be betraying me again his already did that with his bad yaoi anime last year.

We posting Fall watchlists now?

Galilei Donna
Kill-la-kill
Kyoukai no Kanata
Valvrave S2

Pretty short list this season, although inevitably there'll be something else that catches on with the thread that I'll have to watch just to maintain cultural literacy.

I like lots of the cute stuff this season.

Watamote - My favorite this season
Attack on Titan - After getting caught up starting to enjoy it now
Dog & Scissors - Fun
Stella women's academy - Fun, cute
KINMOZA! - Cute
Fate/Kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA - Cute
Gatchaman Crowds - Really started to lose my interest the past month or so

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is all I need from this season.

Last 2 season where incredible easily in my top 2 animes.Based on great source material(manga by george morikawa) brought to you by the same studio that's given us the previous thrilling two seasons(Madhouse).

With Hunter x hunter and now Hajime no ippo, Madhouse is certified Godhouse.

I don't expect any of the other animes to be any good, I'll maybe watch space dandy it might be half decent and I'll watch some sakuga mad for Kyousogiga.

I don't know what you mean?,he better not be betraying me again his already did that with his bad yaoi anime last year.

Ippo saves anime confirmed

Shergal

We were all thinking Space Dandy was going to be Fall (I think he even said so in an interview?), but turns out it's Winter. So Fall is less potentially amazing than it could've been.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 41
icqR958pHfOey.png

Found Script (purple) Equip? Y/N
These card predicaments keep happening more and more often now. I'm pretty much convinced by now that
teacher is definitely causing them all and not only that but somehow seems to want to prevent Shaoran x Sakura from happening (at least them kissing) for reasons unknown. I also disagree with the pair mind you but that's only because Sakura x Tomoyo is justice.

Cardcaptor Sakura 42
ibjkIJRcDYvEYN.png

:SDBurton as fuck
The other main highlights this episode were prince Sakura and Meilin as the evil witch really. So good. Ending was pretty friggin' ominous too and this episode added firther fuel to the fire regarding what I said last episode. It's Happening(?)

Soma

Fall List/Expectations

Kill La Kill
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Kyoukai no Kanata
Kyousogiga
Pupa
Valvrave 2nd Season
Samurai Flamenco
Coppelion
Galilei Donna
Infinite Stratos 2nd Season

Lots of potentially good stuff. Kill La Kill seems to be the one everyone is looking at with high expectations which isn't a surprise given the staff and their past works. Kyousogiga should be awesome with a "proper" anime structure (as opposed to the 5-10 minute episode structure before) and I really hope to see it gather a larger audience because the universe and characters are so damn intriguing and imaginative.

Looking forward to Kyoukai no Kanata but I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too high for it. I'm not expecting a Hyouka-tier show (I think that ship sailed a long time ago) but I hope it's a solid series with and good direction. If no one has done so yet, I want dibs on the Kyoukai no Kanata OT (if it ends up warranting one).

No idea what to expect from Valvrave S2 or Pupa but they should be entertaining at the very least. The new Yozakura Quartet looks promising as the Hoshi no Umi miniseries was awesome. As always I'll be keeping an eye out for impressions of other shows in these threads to see what else is worth checking out and what to avoid.

Except for IS 2 which I'll be watching because I'm a masochist :|

We were all thinking Space Dandy was going to be Fall (I think he even said so in an interview?), but turns out it's Winter. So Fall is less potentially amazing than it could've been.

Watanabe said "fall to winter" in that interview, so he ended up still being accurate.

Kyousogiga should be awesome with a "proper" anime structure (as opposed to the 5-10 minute episode structure before) and I really hope to see it gather a larger audience because the universe and characters are so damn intriguing and imaginative.

Kyousogiga TV is actually sticking to the short format - each of the ten episodes consists of 3 7-ish minute short stories, for a total of 30 in all. I think the shorts are the best format for the franchise, especially when I compare the original half-hour 2011 ONA with the 2012 short ONA series. A concise running time allows the stories to stay focused while retaining the opportunity to explore many different aspects of the setting.

Jex

Damn, I had no idea he felt that way.

Madp, if you're reading this, I can empathize. There was a point where I was self-conscious about what I posted and would hold off on making known my likes and dislikes. At some point, I just stopped caring what a bunch of people on the internet think of me. I have enough to feel self-conscious about in real life, and this isn't one of them.
At this point I'd like to mention that I feel like I was pretty unreasonable with my reaction to your tastes when I first entered the thread and so I feel like I should apologize for the tone of some of my posts during that period.

Dresden

I hope for most things I watch to be good (and some to be "special"), but I don't have high hopes for Kyokai no Kanata - impressions from that 90 second PV they released recently is that:

- it looks even dumber than before
- opening song is terrible
- designs are pretty good

Toss in how it's another one of their LN competition entries and it's like, eh . . .

7Th

I hope for most things I watch to be good (and some to be "special"), but I don't have high hopes for Kyokai no Kanata - impressions from that 90 second PV they released recently is that:

Toss in how it's another one of their LN competition entries and it's like, eh . . .

It does look a bit like the dream sequences from Chuu2Koi, except taken seriously.

Soma

Kyousogiga TV is actually sticking to the short format - each of the ten episodes consists of 3 7-ish minute short stories, for a total of 30 in all. I think the shorts are the best format for the franchise, especially when I compare the original half-hour 2011 ONA with the 2012 short ONA series. A concise running time allows the stories to stay focused while retaining the opportunity to explore many different aspects of the setting.
30 total? That's awesome.

I remember reading that there will also two summary episodes as well. Those aren't included in the before mentioned ten episodes right?

Branduil

It does look a bit like the dream sequences from Chuu2Koi, except taken seriously.

Well, Chuu2 would have been better if they had focused on the silly dream sequences instead of using them as a disingenuous PV hook. There were barely any in the actual show.

Andrew J.

Huh. There were ads for a Watamote drama CD during the commercial breaks on Tomodachi wa Mahou tonight. I guess otaku must be watching.

Feels like I'm planning to try half of the shows that are airing in Fall at the very least. There's quite a few shows that could very well be standouts and are also very different from each other. But I'm sure we all know that the cleverly disguised Utena redux, Walkure Romanze (now with CG jousting battles!) will stand above the rest!

Oh and thanks for the birthday wishes!

30 total? That's awesome.

I remember reading that there will also two summary episodes as well. Those aren't included in the before mentioned ten episodes right?

Right. Here's how Kyousogiga is working out:

Episode 0 (recut of original 2011 ONA)
Episodes 1-5
Episode 5.5 (live-action special showing the location scouting the staff did in Kyoto)
Episodes 6-10
Episode 10.5 (recap of episodes 1-10)

That fills up the 13-episode time slot.

Soma

Episodes 1-5
Episode 5.5 (live-action special showing the location scouting the staff did in Kyoto)
Episodes 6-10

Nice, I didn't know about the live-action special either. Sounds great!

Thanks for the information. :)

Episodes 1-5
Episodes 6-10

Live action special sounds amazing.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 The Movie: Kagami no Kuni no Miracle Daibouken!

Well, that was a pretty fun movie! Certainly a step up from Splash Star's, if nothing else. The antics at the beginning were probably the highlight (everyone dressed up as princesses and having a fine old time, plus a fair amount of Nozomi-Coco shipping because that's always adorable), but there was a lot to like throughout.

The evil doppelganger gimmick with the Dark Precure worked pretty well here, since it fit neatly into the "mirror" theme of the whole movie, and certainly made things more interesting than generic scrub villains or monsters to fight would have been. For the most part all they really served to accomplish in the end was some nice flashy fight scenes (awwww yeahhhhh Cure Aqua lightsaber duel), but
it was touching when Dream managed to win over her own not-so-evil clone. Dark Dream's subsequent self-sacrifice and death-with-a-smile was predictable as fuck, but still managed to bring a slight tear to my eye. Awwwwww, friendship.

There were also a remarkable number of parallels with the finale to the actual series here, what with
the enemies disguising themselves as Coco to take the Dream Collet, right down to Milk almost falling for it and handing it to them, but unlike with Kawarino, Nozomi actually got there first this time.
Not that it mattered, since
the Dream Collet ended up stolen anyway, and so, after a little mirror magic to deal with the Pinky deficit, we got a similar "oh noes" scene to the series finale where the Collet got used by the bad guy. A different resolution here, though, where it turned out it didn't actually work because one last Pinky was still in Urara's Catcher. I found that little twist both amusing and satisfying.

Come to think of it, if we treat this movie as canon...
Since Shadow literally managed to fill up the Collet with every last Pinky but one, shouldn't the Cures' Pinky-collecting task have been complete once they got the Collet back? Or did half (or all?!) of the Pinkies conveniently re-escape when Shadow's wish attempt failed...?

Anyway... This movie marks my first outing with the MIRACLE LIGHT audience-participation gimmick, which fit in well enough I guess. If only I had my own to take part!
buyourmerchandisebuyitall

Oh, and a slight lol at the "Super Precure" transformation at the end. Sure, giving everyone butterfly wings looked kind of neat, but they weren't actually utilised in the slightest. They were just pasted shamelessly on to the existing DIVEBOMB DESTRUCTION stock footage. C'moooooon, guys, you could've tried a liiiiiittle harder than that.

Ah well, at least we got a reworked Ganbarance de Dance at the end with everyone in their princess outfits. That clearly had more effort put into it than the finisher. lol.

KyoAni deciding to stick to studio-owned properties has not exactly worked out to the benefit of their shows' quality. At least Kyoukai no Kanata appears to be the best-looking show they've done since Hyouka, for whatever that's worth.

Cwarrior

Kyousougiga TVCM

It's sad to see Yuki Hayashi waste her time with this rubbish, it looks really nice, her imaginative odd creature designs look nice but the story is load of rubbish nonsense, which why I can't get behind this.

yami4ct

Watch list time again? Neat. Guess I'll throw mine back up.

Definitely watching:
VVV Season 2
Kill La Kill
Gundam Build Fighters (Sense of obligation+Actually really liked the Beginning G shorts)

Interested in:
Samurai Flamenco
Coppelion
Pupa

Morbid Curiosity:
Magi 2. (Maybe I'm alone on this, but I really am enjoying these manga story arcs. Really hoping A-1 gets it together for this. Not betting on it, though. )
Last

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Episode 23 – Twin Moons
tumblr_msvu40AZzP1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Great conclusion to the arc, was wholly impressed by it
Shinobu's wings are pretty and all eight gathered. If sousuke loses more of himself though :(

My list for fall is kind of in flux due to a lot of the shows I may want to watch being season 2s of shows I haven't watched the first season for so if I end up watching them will be dependent both upon if I like the first season and if I sit down and watch the full first season in time for the second. I'll put an * next to any of those

Neppu Kairiku Bushi Road
Copperlion
Gaist Crusher
IS2 *
Strike The Blood
Freezing Vibration *
Hajime No Ippo Rising*
Log Horizon
Phi Brain S3
Gundam Build Fighter
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio
BlazBlue After Memories
Samurai Flamenco
Magi S2
Kill La Kill
Valvrave S2

Also throwing here Pokemon Origin and the Assassination Classroom OVAs which I'll check out.

Wow looking at my list I'll be really impressed if I keep up with all of these, lots of things sound interesting this fall.

Mt9Cuw7.jpg

I'm going to end up watch this because of reasons.

So me and Zach will be the only ones squeeing at Yaya? I guess if thats how it must be.

Watching this for the plot!

And mostly because of her and the blond

Feels like I'm planning to try half of the shows that are airing in Fall at the very least. There's quite a few shows that could very well be standouts and are also very different from each other. But I'm sure we all know that the cleverly disguised Utena redux, Walkure Romanze (now with CG jousting battles!) will stand above the rest!

Only if they follow the Celia route.

Syrinx

Love Lab 2

...You know, that girl technically is the student council president and is entitled to that position. So is the treasurer for that matter, but her removal had to do with embezzlement IIRC. Well, Maki is a weirdo who has a daki, so...yeah. Anyway, war were declared.

Show continues to surprise with the characters in the show. Girl who was too scared she ran away twice is now quite enthusiastic about learning about love. And Wild Kid continues to be the sane one in the group. But the treasurer being a sneaky cutthroat bastard is something most could see coming.

At this point I'd like to mention that I feel like I was pretty unreasonable with my reaction to your tastes when I first entered the thread and so I feel like I should apologize for the tone of some of my posts during that period.

You talking to me or madp (or both since I have similar tastes to him)? Either way, don't sweat it. If I got bothered by anything back then, it was my own fault and was probably just a side-effect of where my life was at that point. Besides, it's not like I was the best at responding to criticism or the tastes of others 3 years ago (god, has it really been that long?). Eventually, I just decided to have fun with it and created that monocle/mustache list. That was more productive than getting worked up over opinions on Japanese cartoons.

I also doubt madp has a problem with you. You post some very well-thought out stuff, and I know he respects that regardless of individual tastes, as do I.

cajunator

Banned
Love Lab 2

...You know, that girl technically is the student council president and is entitled to that position. So is the treasurer for that matter, but her removal had to do with embezzlement IIRC. Well, Maki is a weirdo who has a daki, so...yeah. Anyway, war were declared.

Show continues to surprise with the characters in the show. Girl who was too scared she ran away twice is now quite enthusiastic about learning about love. And Wild Kid continues to be the sane one in the group. But the treasurer being a sneaky cutthroat bastard is something most could see coming.

It starts to lose focus a bit as new characters show up but its still fun.

zeroshiki

I'm not falling for Dresden antihype. Kyokai no Kanata will be the best thing ever. KyoAni + Robots. What could possibly go wrong?!

zeroshiki

The most expensive Japanese animation production ever ($30M), Captain Harlock, with an all star cast and soulless automaton looking characters, bombed horribly last weekend, making only 134 million yen ($1M dollars) and got its shit pushed in by the 8th week of Kaze Tachinu which did 400 million yen.

Phi Brain 1

Not sure what to make of this show, the main character gets a magic mcguffin that allows him to unlock the full power of his brain which seems to enable him to win life or death puzzles. Most of the puzzles flash by so quickly even if you wanted to solve them it's impossible though I'm not sure if that is the point or not. The solution to the unsolvable maze was pretty clever and I hope we see more stuff like that in the future.

Not sure how this premise is going to last for a 25 episodes season... or a second 25 episodes season... and fuck we're getting another 25 episode season next month right :O

wonzo

Banned
The most expensive Japanese animation production ever ($30M), Captain Harlock, with an all star cast and soulless automaton looking characters, bombed horribly last weekend, making only 134 million yen ($1M dollars) and got its shit pushed in by the 8th week of Kaze Tachinu which did 400 million yen.
rip cg future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom