• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wow, this thread really is dead.
This is actually rather fortunate. The pace was getting fairly overwhelming and not all elements in the thread were positive, and nobody had any obvious solution to either. With things in now in tatters we can rebuild it anew.

This is actually rather fortunate. The pace was getting fairly overwhelming and not all elements in the thread were positive, and nobody had any obvious solution to either. With things in now in tatters we can rebuild it anew.

Slowing down is definitely a good thing, but I think it may have gone too far. At least during the times I'm awake this place this place now doesn't have enough activity.

Wow, this thread really is dead.

I've been catching up to HxH 2011 after someone posted those gifs of the latest episode. I'm also trying to get info on some of the games appearing at TGS and playing Far Cry 3. So I haven't been watching a lot of anime lately except for HxH 2011.

Kurapika are really cool yo, miss him so much ;_______;

Sasuke are shameless copy from Kishi, don't worry.. Kurapika so much better and have character growth that make sense.

I hope he has character growth. The only thing I didn't like about Sasuke was how emotionless he was, and Kurapika is going down this route currently. Too bad, he was pretty interesting during the hunter exam but now I don't know.

cnet128

Banned
I hope he has character growth. The only thing I didn't like about Sasuke was how emotionless he was, and Kurapika is going down this route currently. Too bad, he was pretty interesting during the hunter exam but now I don't know.

Oh, Kurapika has emotions all right. Powerful ones.

He just knows when to keep them below the surface and focus on getting things done.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Slowing down is definitely a good thing, but I think it may have gone too far. At least during the times I'm awake this place this place now doesn't have enough activity.
Haha, activity in forum threads is like the relationship between temperature and maintaining excited hydrogen electron orbits. Too cool and everything is still in ground state, but too hot and electrons just get ejected outright.

Yes, I totally had an epiphany when first studying Boltzmann-Saha.

CorvoSol

Can you guys recommend me some good Mech/Fighting/Action anime? Preferably newer and 20+ episodes would be great, but if it's good i don't care, just give me something to watch.

Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Panic and The Big O are all really great.

Westlo

You're about to watch the best arc of HxH, you'll see da Kurapika is a boss, smh @ that clone Sasuke being mentioned.

Moaradin

Kurapika is a better character than Sasuke could ever hope to be. Dude has every reason in the world to do what he does, yet still always keeps his cool.

Oh, Kurapika has emotions all right. Powerful ones.

He just knows when to keep them below the surface and focus on getting things done.

If he gets back to acting the way he did during the hunter exam then I'll like him again. In the hunter exam he was bearable because I could tell he was angry and wanted revenge, but he kept it behind the scenes so much that it was interesting and cool.

You're about to watch the best arc of HxH, you'll see da Kurapika is a boss, smh @ that clone Sasuke being mentioned.

I compared him to Sasuke mostly because I'm seeing huge similarities. Both want revenge, both have a goal that consumes them, both want power but for some mysterious reason doesn't want to rely on others for it, and the whole acting serious and angry all the time.

If I had to choose who I think is better I couldn't do it. I'm not far enough into the anime to really say if Kurapika changes in some way. I'm guessing something currently appears since I'm on episode 41
and they're going to an auction that's going to be attacked by the one's he hates

Blood Lad got a good poster, Knell. (theyre cosplay?)
tumblr_msyj54cjPO1rsulrqo1_500.jpg

malyce

Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it. It's from 2007, but it has 20+ episodes and its something every mecha fan should see.

I'm sure many people here could recommend better than I on this subject, so I'm just gonna say Giant Robo, Escaflowne, and Rahxephon.

Eureka 7.

It's close enough and should be watched anyway.

Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Full Metal Panic and The Big O are all really great.

Star Driver
Valvrave
Fafner
Guilty Crown

Seen the bolded already, will check out the rest. Thanks guys.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kurapika is a better character than Sasuke could ever hope to be. Dude has every reason in the world to do what he does, yet still always keeps his cool.

sasuke's entire family and clan was killed by his brother, what more of a reason to be an asshole than that? lol

Syrinx

I do wish things would speed up just a tad, just to keep things interesting. It was really ridiculous for a while how fast this thread was going, but now it's kinda slogging more than anything. There is a happy medium. Kill La Kill will save us though.

Narag

I do wish things would speed up just a tad, just to keep things interesting. It was really ridiculous for a while how fast this thread was going, but now it's kinda slogging more than anything. There is a happy medium. Kill La Kill will save us though.

I used to wake up super early on some Saturdays and a page would basically just be me watching whatever!!

BluWacky

It's the end of the season, not enough shows with passionate advocates/defenders or with plots worthy of discussion (good or bad), it's summer which is always slow.

Next season will be much more exciting and generate more discussion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone has realised that I was right all along and writing reviews for every episode is a tedious exercise. Expect a big surge in activity when all the shows come to an end and every writes end of series reviews.

I don't think it'll last, so right now, I'm okay with this current speed actually. Means less time to maintain the thread, more time to do other things without worrying about catching up to other stuff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think it'll last, so right now, I'm okay with this current speed actually. Means less time to maintain the thread, more time to do other things without worrying about catching up to other stuff.
You say that as if you arn't just using that extra time to refresh this thread even more.

Everyone has realised that I was right all along and writing reviews for every episode is a tedious exercise. Expect a big surge in activity when all the shows come to an end and every writes end of series reviews.

Every episode to me is certainly tedious since when I don't have much to say it usually just resorts to episode summary. I also watch a lot of not-so plot heavy shows so there's that too.

Narag

Every episode to me is certainly tedious since when I don't have much to say it usually just resorts to episode summary. I also watch a lot of not-so plot heavy shows so there's that too.

My inclination to watch stuff like Strike Witches vanished when people stopped talking about it via episode impressions and whatnot!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I hate doing episode summaries myself which is why I stopped with my impressions long ago. Only if something worth commenting about happens will I say something i.e. Space Brothers suddenly fixing its pacing issue after so many episodes.

Jex

There was a time when we near or at the top of the OT all day every day for months on end. Then Community was created to save OT from megathreads.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It isn't too bad when it is one episode per week, marathoning that shit is just tedious, which is why I am reviewing selected episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Though I have not actually watched any episodes recently do to other shit.

Jexhius caused the explosion of posting in AnimeGAF threads to begin with, and now that his rate of posting has dramatically decreased the threads are slowly coming to a halt. Truly Jexhius is the heart and soul of AnimeGAF.

Branduil

I'm not sure that's the sole reason. The posting rate remained insane for quite some time after Jexhius reduced his post rate. Only in the last few weeks has it dropped off dramatically.

Jex

Back when I was posting a great deal a number of other posters (e.g. Branduil, Lafiel, firehawk12, Genijin etc) also had extremely high post rates (although admittedly not quite as insane as my own in most instances. I mean, when I started I replied to every single post in the thread). I only really slowed down about a year and a half ago and since then the high volume posters have been cajun, kayos, kirbyguy etc. It's their decrease in posting combined with the slowness of a few regulars that's resulted in the latest slump/

I would put it all in a nice graph because the data is freely available but I don't have time. It's all in Nafe's history anyway.

Dresden

Ideally post rates will drop to a point where this community doesn't need more than one OT a season. Not that it'll happen . . .

I'm not sure that's the sole reason. The posting rate remained insane for quite some time after Jexhius reduced his post rate. Only in the last few weeks has it dropped off dramatically.

I was not being entirely serious.

But it is certainly the case that the makeup of posters in AnimeGAF has considerably changed over the time I've been here, and the general tenor of the threads has changed as a result. Which is only natural in any open Internet community. We'll have to wait for the fall season to see if this is just a temporary lull or a new pace that will last for a while.

Jex

I don't think that's quite true. If you're talking about a slow arc in Attack on Titan or some random episode of Gintama there really isn't a lot to say but in strongly episodic works with great direction like Mononoke (not quite episodic), Kaiba, Windy Tales, Mushishi each episode tends to be finely crafted and plum for rich analysis. Of course the same can be true in great episodic works too.

It will come back at the usual speeds ... we can't be on high post rate every week of the year can we ?

I even think that we'll be fine starting next week

Jex

Ideally post rates will drop to a point where this community doesn't need more than one OT a season. Not that it'll happen . . .

I don't think having a lot of posts is necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. It's the quality of the posts overall that matter although you can make a pretty good argument that if you're producing a high volume of posts the quality of each individual post is going to be lower than if you produced a smaller volume of posts.

I don't think having a lot of posts is necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. It's the quality of the posts overall that matter although you can make a pretty good argument that if you're producing a high volume of posts the quality of each individual post is going to be lower than if you produced a smaller volume of posts.

The main problem with a very fast posting rate, as I see it, is that thoughtful posts will get buried under loads of flippant ones and many people will become too discouraged to keep up and pick out the posts they want to pay attention to. This decreases the possibility of meaningful discussion occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom