• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I was posting a great deal a number of other posters (e.g. Branduil, Lafiel, firehawk12, Genijin etc) also had extremely high post rates (although admittedly not quite as insane as my own in most instances. I mean, when I started I replied to every single post in the thread). I only really slowed down about a year and a half ago and since then the high volume posters have been cajun, kayos, kirbyguy etc. It's their decrease in posting combined with the slowness of a few regulars that's resulted in the latest slump/

I would put it all in a nice graph because the data is freely available but I don't have time. It's all in Nafe's history anyway.

I guess I'm thinking in post count here, but it slowed down by quite a bit in the last thread despite it being at my highest or something.

I was not being entirely serious.

But it is certainly the case that the makeup of posters in AnimeGAF has considerably changed over the time I've been here, and the general tenor of the threads has changed as a result. Which is only natural in any open Internet community. We'll have to wait for the fall season to see if this is just a temporary lull or a new pace that will last for a while.

I certainly think Fall will bring things up to fast pace considering what's being released. I know there are a lot of people anticipating Kill la Kill so that should bring a flux of users even.

The main problem with a very fast posting rate, as I see it, is that thoughtful posts will get buried under loads of flippant ones and many people will become too discouraged to keep up and pick out the posts they want to pay attention to. This decreases the possibility of meaningful discussion occurring.

Probably the other reason why I'm okay with a lower post rate right now. Guess unlike the Spring OT where we failed to close it due to resistance, we might actually transition over to the Fall OT if we don't hit 400 (and we most likely won't).

Jex

Because I stalk his Twitter, I can point to this explanation, if you want to know.

I haven't written anything about this yet because it's a Community matter and I feel like the best place to talk about it would be, theoretically, IRC but that's an un-moderated hole in the internet so not the ideal place to discuss such a matter.

I can't speak about drive by complaints on topic whining because I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to the thread to accurately assess such activities.

I will just say that attempting to maintain a positive and engaged community within the thread, which is surely the ideal that one should strive for, takes a great deal of time and effort as it largely requires leading from the front, as it were, in terms of the content which you produce for discussion and the tone you attempt to set for general discourse. This is with the hope that others will attempt to do the same.

NeoGAF mods aren't here to babysit communities or to make sure everyone inside them is completely polite, positive and pleasant as that would take far too much of their time and they don't regulate morality or general tone. That kind of moderation can only come from a thread whose participants are engaged and willing to self regulate and promote the right kind of discourse to the point where the thread is essentially self-correcting.

Anyway, I hope madp returns at some point because the thread as a whole benefits from different people with different tastes and different perspectives sharing and discussing as wide a variety of content as possible. If people feel they can't discuss a work they enjoy because of thread pressures then that's obviously a bad thing.

Mr.Jeff

I don't think that's quite true. If you're talking about a slow arc in Attack on Titan or some random episode of Gintama there really isn't a lot to say but in strongly episodic works with great direction like Mononoke (not quite episodic), Kaiba, Windy Tales, Mushishi each episode tends to be finely crafted and plum for rich analysis. Of course the same can be true in great episodic works too.
And yet a few people I've seen in here that have started the Mushishi have all said it's hard to comment on the episode without repeating the plot and so don't bother posting anything about it.

Aria the Natural 3
I don't remember this Al nerd at all, nor do I remember Aika's tsundere infatuation with him. I'm starting to think my memory's even worse than I remember and that it hasn't been that long since I watched the first season.
I had a quick scan on the wikipedia summaries for the first season and it doesn't seem to mention Al at all. I was under the hazy impression that they at least introduced him but it appears not. For a reason which I can only imagine was to keep the show as "cute girl doing cute things", a fair amount of the chapters cut from adaptation focus on the three notable male characters in the season, with Al getting a notable cut in his appearances.

It's a bit of a shame really since those chapters were also quite great in their own way and often helped to flesh out a bit more of the world of Aqua.

Taruranto

Should be around 20k, it'll probably be their most successful show since K-ON. Of course, we'll have to wait for actual numbers next week.

Kinda funny because a lot of people on sites like Mal and 4chan were screaming "Flop" as soon the first episodes aired, probably because they wanted it to flop badly-

They stole our games anime!!!

Jex

And yet a few people I've seen in here that have started the Mushishi have all said it's hard to comment on the episode without repeating the plot and so don't bother posting anything about it.

It's not always particularly easy to comment on an episode of Mushishi for a variety of reasons. The tone of the show tends to be powerful enough to submerge you within the story that's taking place but describing how the director put you into that place is tricky and would require some fairly close analysis of individual scenes.

I had a quick scan on the wikipedia summaries for the first season and it doesn't seem to mention Al at all. I was under the hazy impression that they at least introduced him but it appears not. For a reason which I can only imagine was to keep the show as "cute girl doing cute things", a fair amount of the chapters cut from adaptation focus on the three notable male characters in the season, with Al getting a notable cut in his appearances.

It's a bit of a shame really since those chapters were also quite great in their own way and often helped to flesh out a bit more of the world of Aqua.

This is just another one of those reasons why I should be reading more manga but I'm too lazy/easily distracted to do it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ible0FgJRxhIrq.png

mhs004

Fist of the North star 2-6

This anime is perfect in every way. The 80's cheesiness makes it even better, it complements the story and fights perfectly. If it stays like this the whole show then I will be happy.

Mr.Jeff

It's not always particularly easy to comment on an episode of Mushishi for a variety of reasons. The tone of the show tends to be powerful enough to submerge you within the story that's taking place but describing how the director put you into that place is tricky and would require some fairly close analysis of individual scenes.
I can get that. There's a number of episodes where nothing particularly out of the ordinary was done but it still had a rather unique feel to it.

I tried a couple of months back to do a sort of analysis starting from the first episode but if felt like I was trying too hard to notice the way a shot was framed or use of music or such like.
To the point where it was like I was back in English class, analysing the different meanings to an authour's sentence like "The blue curtains billowed morosely" or somesuch.

Perhaps that's also a reason for a lack of analytical impressions; not knowing how far to push it without being pretentious.

This is just another one of those reasons why I should be reading more manga but I'm too lazy/easily distracted to do it.
It's very much in the same vein as the anime in that you can dip in and out. I found it quite interesting to see which chapters were plucked for adaptation and which weren't as well as some variations.

The final episode of The Natural was dragged out to an entire 26 minutes when the corresponding chapter was actually one of the shorter chapters in the series. Not to mention, there's a handful of episodes were the producers made up stories from scratch which while perhaps a tad obvious, end up linking in quite well with the series.

Jex

I can get that. There's a number of episodes where nothing particularly out of the ordinary was done but it still had a rather unique feel to it.

I tried a couple of months back to do a sort of analysis starting from the first episode but if felt like I was trying too hard to notice the way a shot was framed or use of music or such like.
To the point where it was like I was back in English class, analysing the different meanings to an authour's sentence like "The blue curtains billowed morosely" or somesuch.

Perhaps that's also a reason for a lack of analytical impressions; not knowing how far to push it without being pretentious.

It's really a question of how much the work has to you offer (some works are just shallow, especially in anime), your own skills, how comfortable you are discussing something indepth etc etc. For example, Acephalous is one of the best people around when it comes to analysis of visual media (and I mean everything from movies to comic books). See an example of his work on Mad Men here: http://acephalous.typepad.com/acephalous/2010/09/mad-men-picking-up-the-wrong-suitcase.html

Then again, few shows in any medium are like Mad Men. I mean, there's an entire blog purely devoted to discussing the fashion choices of each character in each episode of Mad Men and what they tell you about the characters because the costume designer in the show put a lot of work into that area. Meanwhile in most Anime no-one ever changes their clothes or alternatively the girls have lots of clothes because the animators/designers like drawing cute clothes on cute girls.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh, I didn't realise Bahi JD was working on Space Dandy. Cool. http://bahijd.tumblr.com/

cajunator

Banned
Because his sister munches him. That's the premise.

How lewd!
No actually this kind of premise is fascinating. Like Saikano except the girl doesnt turn into a weapon but a monster.

That's pretty much the case with a lot of what I watch. Yumeria is definitely something else I need to get around to though.

Watamote 10

Well this was...huh. I'm still not even sure whether I liked this episode or not particularly because of how it reminded me of myself back in high school. In a not-so-good way.

Interesting. I haven't paid much attention to that as I still don't haven't a good display solution for their large artboxes.

Speaking of which, their YuruYuri S1 box set is another excellent one. NISA consistently does a great job with their packaging.

It reminded me of myself the way I used to be. Especially the not wanting to sit in a place in the classroom that gains attention. I wanted to be in the back corner.

As for NISA sets, I have almost 20 now, so the labeling effect is pretty pronounced. The YuruYuri set is my most recent one and yes its lovely!

Rozen Maiden 2013 3

I still don't get how emails work, is it like the process of the mind or something, but in the form of a cellphone? Or is it doll magic, who knows.

It was neat seeing into the past, and what caused him to become even more of a shut in, as he was good at making girls clothing, but of course, doing something feminine makes you a queer since other people are assholes like that. Guess with the whole alternate timelines and whatnot, there's still the whole "believe in youself" motive... although technically it's not exactly "you" persay.

Another thing I noticed... it seems the manager at Jun's job looks just like the asshole that made fun of him for making clothing for girls, in fact, he probably is that asshole, and Jun's stuck with him unless he gets fired... Seems like a hanging reminder of how everything went downhill for him, although the only person who approaches him... seems like a way out for him, to not be a shut in (like that'll happen).

Anywho, took about 3 episodes for Shinku to be created (well two since it didn't start till last episode), and the 7th doll seems to be on the prowl. I don't know why, but she didn't look like the main antagonist at first, but I guess with her abilities.... Maybe I was careless.

It's very much in the same vein as the anime in that you can dip in and out. I found it quite interesting to see which chapters were plucked for adaptation and which weren't as well as some variations.

The final episode of The Natural was dragged out to an entire 26 minutes when the corresponding chapter was actually one of the shorter chapters in the series. Not to mention, there's a handful of episodes were the producers made up stories from scratch which while perhaps a tad obvious, end up linking in quite well with the series.

I've recently delved into my Hidamari Sketch volumes and it's pretty much the same way. I'm surprised at how much Shaft/Shinbo/Whoever did to lengthen such incredibly short chapters into an entire first part of a show, and a lot of the times a whole episode.

Also they took out a drunk Yuno in what would have been the first episode of x365, it's a god damn shame.

This anime is perfect in every way. The 80's cheesiness makes it even better, it complements the story and fights perfectly. If it stays like this the whole show then I will be happy.

First season (109 episodes) was damn great. Rei <3. During second season it goes to dragon ball z though and I didn't like it as much.

cajunator

Banned
It's the end of the season, not enough shows with passionate advocates/defenders or with plots worthy of discussion (good or bad), it's summer which is always slow.

Next season will be much more exciting and generate more discussion.

Hopefully so. I could understand wanting it to slow down, but one page in a half a day? hmm.

Hyoka 1

ViohK87.jpg

Think I'll be enjoying this, thanks based kyoani. What a lovely ED.

This show has a couple interesting arcs in particular episodes 1-3 and 4-5 then it gets a bit mundane until the festival arc where its quite good from there on out. But the parts with the meaning of Hyouka and Sekitani Jun were pretty interesting.

Joe Molotov

Fist of the North Star is good stuff, it'll make your balls drop.

cajunator

Banned
I've recently delved into my Hidamari Sketch volumes and it's pretty much the same way. I'm surprised at how much Shaft/Shinbo/Whoever did to lengthen such incredibly short chapters into an entire first part of a show, and a lot of the times a whole episode.

Also they took out a drunk Yuno in what would have been the first episode of x365, it's a god damn shame.

Wait Yuno was drunk and they took that out for the anime?
I need a table to flip. This would have been spectacular :(

Shergal

I was thinking about something like this the other day. I can't help what thought processes go through my mind while watching a film or show, and a lot of times I find myself thinking "English class" type things even if I wasn't planning to write anything about it or doing a particularly close reading. I don't think that's good or bad while watching, but I find that a lot of times it might make me wander off and lose a more basic, visceral appeal certain scenes could have if I get more immersed in them.

That's probably why I always get caught up in trying to be in "the right frame of mind" to watch something.
In any case, if a show gets me to the point I'm inspired to write more than two lines about it I do try to have something at least slightly concrete to say.
And well, writing is good for the mind something something.

cnet128

Banned
Free! 10

Oh Rei why do you keep stealing all the spotlights by being such a total boss.
The scene at the end with him going to confront Rin was great. I look forward to seeing how that one plays out. Hopefully in the form of a super-intense butterfly race (...which Rei will inevitably lose horribly).

cajunator

Banned
I was thinking about something like this the other day. I can't help what thought processes go through my mind while watching a film or show, and a lot of times I find myself thinking "English class" type things even if I wasn't planning to write anything about it or doing a particularly close reading. I don't think that's good or bad while watching, but I find that a lot of times it might make me wander off and lose a more basic, visceral appeal certain scenes could have if I get more immersed in them.

That's probably why I always get caught up in trying to be in "the right frame of mind" to watch something.
In any case, if a show gets me to the point I'm inspired to write more than two lines about it I do try to have something at least slightly concrete to say.

I dunno if my mind is too frenetic to analyze things that way or whatever but I always have immense difficulties doing this. Thats why my responses to shows are very reactionary and shallow. I cant form these kinds of analytical posts.

OceanBlue

I'm kinda jealous. I think being able to keep that presence of mind is a nice thing while watching shows (or doing anything). I feel as if I zone out when I watch media and just accept things that happen. That means it takes a lot to snap me out of it and, admittedly, bad plot is not something that does most of the time. :V

For me, any analysis happens after I finish watching something once. Either I rewatch it or I try and remember the most relevant things. That's why I insert a lot of "I feel" or "it seems". I kinda have a feeling on how something was by the time I finish it, which leads me to go back to confirm why I felt a certain way.

cajunator

Banned
I'm kinda jealous. I think being able to keep that presence of mind is a nice thing while watching shows. I feel as if I zone out when I watch media and just accept things that happen. That means it takes a lot to snap me out of it and, admittedly, bad plot is not something that does most of the time. :V

For me, any analysis happens after I finish watching something once. Either I rewatch it or I try and remember the most relevant things.

For me, I can analyze a show only if it leaves a huge impression on me, like Madoka Magica, Haibane Renmei, Kinos journey, or Steins;Gate for example.
Otherwise, it just kinda passes along as a temporary distraction or is otherwise a show like hidamari or Azumanga daioh that is an extremely enjoyable passing of time but that I wont remember specifically because of a highly episodic nature.

Shergal

I dunno if my mind is too frenetic to analyze things that way or whatever but I always have immense difficulties doing this. Thats why my responses to shows are very reactionary and shallow. I cant form these kinds of analytical posts.

I have difficulties doing it too, I didn't study film theory either. Can't speak for the accuracy of anything I say!
I just think (when consciously doing it) it's a good visual/mental exercise from time to time, and you get better at dissecting something the more you try. It's like training your ear by trying to spot the key in songs while listening.

cajunator

Banned
I have difficulties doing it too, I didn't study film theory either. Can't speak for the accuracy of anything I say!
I just think (when consciously doing it) it's a good visual/mental exercise from time to time, and you get better at dissecting something the more you try. It's like training your ear by trying to spot the key in songs while listening.

Well as I said I only care enough to do it in certain shows. Like I could probably analyze Welcome to the NHK since I love it so much.

OceanBlue

This is definitely true. I still don't do it that often, but I feel as if I'm a lot better at picking apart different elements of shows than I was when I just joined GAF because the environment really encouraged me to give me a try.

Rozen Maiden 2013 4

You know, I think part of the enjoyments of the mundane nature is the music and how fitting it is for the atmosphere, on top of it being rather gray for a while. Hell, even in the second half, where Jun wasn't as mopey and actually enjoyed a day, it seemed the have a higher tone to reflect that. There was also a subtle smile from the crap manager as Jun wasn't as mopey while serving the customers.

Anywho, what's interesting is that it kind of plays out a bit like the first episode, with a few key differences, from avoiding Shinku's slap to
Jun's choice of not winding Shinku in the past caused the Rozen Maidens to not exist in his world, which was not only explained, but also reflected in how there were no google results for Rozen Maiden

Even as he grew, he still can't brew the right tea.
This is however temporary, as this Shinku cannot last for but seven more days. And every chance we get, we have vines progressively creeping up on them. Don't enjoy your mundane life for too long now.

Theonik

Just watch Strike Witches and spend your posts analysing buttocks.
Need more analysts around here.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tonari no Totoro/My Neighbour Totoro

EsoWBkK.jpg

Lovely animation, art, setting and ost.

Content wise it wasn't what I was really expecting. Always got the impression it was a 'feels'/:firehawk type movie. Instead it was light/creepy horror with scenes that must have been imagined by someone off their face on hallucinogenics.

It was enjoyable, but far from my favourite Ghibli work.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 2

Silly Coco, thinking that turning into Precure is a bad thing. Everybody wants to be magical girls.

...Also, I see Nozomi got bored of using divebombing as a finisher and is now using it as her primary means of attack. Without even using a vehicle. Well, it's fair enough, you can never have too much divebombing. PRECURE SHOOTING STAAAAAR!

(Also lol Bunbee is back already and everyone in his new workplace is ignoring him already. Guy can't catch a break.)

Shergal

Tonari no Totoro/My Neighbour Totoro

EsoWBkK.jpg

Lovely animation, art, setting and ost.

Content wise it wasn't what I was really expecting. Always got the impression it was a 'feels'/:firehawk type movie. Instead it was light/creepy horror with scenes that must have been imagined by someone off their face on hallucinogenics.

It was enjoyable, but far from my favourite Ghibli work.

Totoro was horror? I always found it to be rather whimsical and childlike. Also very adorable too.

Oh, and I've read there is a ton of misty-eyed nostalgia with regards to the depiction of Japan's countryside and all that. Can't vouch for that because I'm not Japanese lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

Totoro was horror? I always found it to be rather whimsical and childlike. Also very adorable too.

Oh, and I've read there is a ton of misty-eyed nostalgia with regards to the depiction of Japan's countryside and all that. Can't vouch for that because I'm not Japanese lol.

Ha, I was kinda exaggerating there. Was referring to the beginning of the movie with the creepy dust things and the run down house.

When it comes to anime movies and countryside/forests, my top 3 films in that type of setting would probably be...

-Wolf Children
-Nausicaa
-Princess Mononoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom