• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Ended up watching an episode of Steins;Gate's anime, mainly out of curiosity - I recently finished a complete playthrough of the VN - and it was about as poor as I remembered it. It feels disjointed all throughout, the individual scenes badly connected with very little to hold them together save for the format of the episode itself. Poor, erratic direction and the blurry washed lighting that soaks everything makes it a chore to watch.

I'll probably check out the movie when it's out on BD, just out of my fondness for the property, but the temptation to actually check out the show is gone. Feels bad that such interesting material is brought down by incompetence.

---

Also started Grisaia no Kajitsu lately, which is vaguely anime-related since there's an adaptation coming out for it next year. Too early to get a good grip on it outside of unspecific commentary about the nice UI and presentation. And the waifus, I guess:

Senjou expy's design bothers me because the back half of her head is too small. Makina is annoying. The tall girl seems okay. Will wait and see on Michiru. Sachi has the most tolerable voice. Principal is clearly the winner here.

cajunator

Banned
Ended up watching an episode of Steins;Gate's anime, mainly out of curiosity - I recently finished a complete playthrough of the VN - and it was about as poor as I remembered it. It feels disjointed all throughout, the individual scenes poorly connected with very little to hold them together save for the format of the episode itself. Poor, erratic direction and the blurry washed lighting that soaks everything makes it a chore to watch.

I'll probably check out the movie when it's out on BD, just out of my fondness for the property, but the temptation to actually check out the show is gone. Feels bad that such interesting material is brought down by incompetence.

---

Also started Grisaia no Kajitsu lately, which is vaguely anime-related since there's an adaptation coming out for it next year. Too early to get a good grip on it outside of unspecific commentary about the nice UI and presentation. And the waifus, I guess:

Senjou expy's design bothers me because the back half of her head is too small. Makina is annoying. The tall girl seems okay. Will wait and see on Michiru. Sachi has the most tolerable voice. Principal is clearly the winner here.

I definitely didnt feel this way watching Steins;Gate. It all came together and made perfect sense to me. a lot more sense than many anime actually. Thats why I was able to marathon it so easily.
I guess the VNs are very different.

Rozen Maiden 2013 5

Jun continues to have a good day, and somehow I anticipate the manager to be the same jackass from back in his old days because he's hitting it off with Saitou.

Hmm, so Suigintou joins us. And apparently gave us some back story that was rather... creepy to say the least.
I mean shit, her "partner" wanted to die, and wanted her ring for that purpose. Suigintou's attitude being high and mighty was practically shot when she met Megu.

In any case, they made a mess of the room.

Sunday Without God 10

Why aren't more of you watching this show :(

Talk about the double bomb shell at the end, I'm not sure what surprised me more the fact Alis has
brought 35,000 people to this time locked world
or that his enemy is
his best friend Dee who apparently is dead in the real world and only alive in this imaginary world 3-4 wished for

Considering how the last few arcs have gone I don't even want to imagine what other crazy twist they have planned for this final arc.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 3

Hold it, hold it, hold it! Did I just see what I thought I just saw?!

Cure Mint...used an offensive attack.

Everything I thought I knew is a lie.

Also we now have a mascot with a pet mascot. Yo dawg I heard you like mascots etc. etc.

mhs004

Sunday Without God 10

Talk about the double bomb shell at the end, I'm not sure what surprised me more the fact Alis has
or that his enemy is
his best friend Dee who apparently is dead in the real world and only alive in this imaginary world 3-4 wished for

Considering how the last few arcs have gone I don't even want to imagine what other crazy twist they have planned for this final arc.

Dude that beginning blew my mind. It was the most confused I've been in a while I had no clue what was happening.

Quasar

Magical Index - Miracle at Endymion - fan servicey but enjoyable. Some interesting new elements. Animation is really nice, I guess the extra time and money is the reason.

Tamayura 2.10 - kind of surprised to get a Kanae focused episode this late. But the subject matter was pretty perfect for such an episode. Of course identifying with Kanae and her feelings quite a lot helped there with my enjoyment. Still no squealing of 'kou-tan'. I miss that.

cnet128

Banned
Sunday Without God 10

or that his enemy is

Oh c'mon that second "surprise" wasn't much of one by the time they actually revealed it. The moment Alis said
"I have an enemy here"
I was like
"Well yeah it's Dee."

The whole setting and its premise did come straight out of left field, though. In the best way.

wonzo

Banned
Ended up watching an episode of Steins;Gate's anime, mainly out of curiosity - I recently finished a complete playthrough of the VN - and it was about as poor as I remembered it. It feels disjointed all throughout, the individual scenes badly connected with very little to hold them together save for the format of the episode itself. Poor, erratic direction and the blurry washed lighting that soaks everything makes it a chore to watch.

The direction's poor for most of the shows run but the single worst thing about it is how shitty the overall backgrounds are when compared to the VN. Saying that it was fairly entertaining when shit finally started going down but still smh white fox

yami4ct

---

Which episode? The early Steins;Gate stuff can be pretty bad. Once it gets going, though, I didn't feel like the direction, editing and writing were near as bad. They certainly weren't incompetent later on. Show was my main exposure to the material and I adored it, so to each their own I guess.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 3

Hold it, hold it, hold it! Did I just see what I thought I just saw?!

Cure Mint...used an offensive attack.

Everything I thought I knew is a lie.

Also we now have a mascot with a pet mascot. Yo dawg I heard you like mascots etc. etc.

While not exactly related to the episode at hand, I decided to go back to your episode 45 commentary for YPC5. Particularly;

Anyway, once the Cures have chased him off, Nozomi and Coco share a special little moment to themselves underneath a giant Christmas tree in the snow. It's probably the closest thing this show will get to a confession scene - Nozomi even gets to finish it off with a "daisuki da yo." (Strictly speaking she's not saying she loves him, she's saying she loves "the time they spend together", but it certainly felt like that part of the line was halfheartedly shoehorned in for the sake of preventing Excessively Romantic Content.) I'm just going to pretend they kissed after the show cut to the ED.

Back in episode 2, Nozomi did in fact share rather explicitly how she wants her dream kiss to happen. This scene in particular.

lDKreTp.jpg

So the exact conditions for her kiss where set up at the end of 45, on top of that, with enough attention, you'd notice their their faces is slowly inching towards each other. So yeah, it is in fact, implied that they kissed.

Oh c'mon that second "surprise" wasn't much of one by the time they actually revealed it. The moment Alis said
"I have an enemy here"
I was like
"Well yeah it's Dee."

The whole setting and its premise did come straight out of left field, though. In the best way.

Okay yes it was obvious that was going to be the answer, that doesn't mean it wasn't a bomb shell though. I expected that a confrontation between
Alis and Dee
was coming based upon the past few episodes, I just wasn't expect it to be upfront.

Okay, I'm with Narag now. I'm gonna need a write up about this show because I am intrigued. I don't know anything about it.

I can do a write up once the season is finished. It'll be hard to give people a good feel without all the spoilers. Again the best option is just to watch it.

cnet128

Banned
Back in episode 2, Nozomi did in fact share rather explicitly how she wants her dream kiss to happen. This scene in particular.

lDKreTp.jpg

So the exact conditions for her kiss where set up at the end of 45, on top of that, with enough attention, you'd notice their their faces is slowly inching towards each other. So yeah, it is in fact, implied that they kissed.

Oh, that is sneaky! Well played, Toei. Well played.

Mr.Jeff

I was thinking about something like this the other day. I can't help what thought processes go through my mind while watching a film or show, and a lot of times I find myself thinking "English class" type things even if I wasn't planning to write anything about it or doing a particularly close reading. I don't think that's good or bad while watching, but I find that a lot of times it might make me wander off and lose a more basic, visceral appeal certain scenes could have if I get more immersed in them.
Yeah, I know where you're coming from.

I lack the image I saved for this but in the first episode of Mushishi, there's a scene where the main characters is explaining to a young boy about the nature of mushi and how it's so vast and elemental and despite being a form of life, so completely alien in it's own way from us.

The framing for this shot was of the two of them standing round a large fire taken from some distance away with the gloom of night around them. So I typed some comments about how the gloom is sort of a metaphor for the oppressive feeling that the sense of these multitude of mushi have around such a small, beacon of light that is normal life and minute it is.

Then I looked back and thought "Fuck, that's a really pretentious way of looking at it. Maybe they just thought that shot looked neat?"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Seeing all of this Kantai Collection stuff is kind of annoying. We don't have a translated game or even an anime for it.

I guess it's possible I wouldn't want to play it though. The aliens the ship girls fight are likely allied troops :S

Where is my moe anthromorphized US Navel Ship girls game?

Theonik

Seeing all of this Kantai Collection stuff is kind of annoying. We don't have a translated game or even an anime for it.

I guess it's possible I wouldn't want to play it though. The aliens the ship girls fight are likely allied troops :S

At least you can buy the Shimakaze Nendoroid soon! Also I would bet the anime would also happen pretty soon.

Okay, I'm with Narag now. I'm gonna need a write up about this show because I am intrigued. I don't know anything about it.

The basic concept is for some reason, God decided to be a douche and left mankind to do their own thing. He took away the ability for humans to die and be born. So those that do die end up being high functioning undead, who are perfectly capable of living normal lives but will eventually go crazy. So the last thing God left people with was the gravekeepers, these strange people that can shovel dirt on the diseased, allowing them to rest.

The main character is Ai, a 12 year old girl that is also a gravekeeper. She's goes on adventures and stuff in the desolate world that god abandoned.

It's a pretty interesting show, but not in a typical sense. I'd actually say most of the plot is kind of eh, what with some confusing (and sometimes seemingly contradictory) developments, odd-acting characters, and just a really weird sense of progression in general.

On the other hand, the atmosphere and soundtrack are absolutely fantastic. Were it not for that, I would have dropped it long ago.

OceanBlue

I've been super curious about the game lately. It just seems to be so popular. It seems to be flooding Pixiv at the moment (at least among the people I follow). I might give it a try despite not really knowing Japanese just to see what the big deal is.

Rozen Maiden 2013 6

Well douchebag manager is activating his douche skills.

There's now an obsession to change the world he's currently in by making a new doll, and yet it feels like a trap.
I mean Kirakishou is kidnapping masters, and him becoming one will just get Jun fucked over in the process. I don't know, it just feels so deliberate.

The basic concept is for some reason, God decided to be a douche and left mankind to do their own thing. He took away the ability for humans to die and be born. So those that do die end up being high functioning undead, who are perfectly capable of living normal lives but will eventually go crazy. So the last thing God left people with was the gravekeepers, these strange people that can shovel dirt on the diseased, allowing them to rest.

The main character is Ai, a 12 year old girl that is also a gravekeeper. She's goes on adventures and stuff in the desolate world that god abandoned.

It's a pretty interesting show, but not in a typical sense. I'd actually say most of the plot is kind of eh, what with some confusing (and sometimes seemingly contradictory) developments, odd-acting characters, and just a really weird sense of progression in general.

On the other hand, the atmosphere and soundtrack are absolutely fantastic. Were it not for that, I would have dropped it long ago.

I vaguely remember reading about the gravekeepers part somewhere. It was that premise coupled with the designs that made the show not stand out to me initially when the season started. If anything, the spoiler bit I quoted from BassForever makes it sound like a completely different show than what you described. But maybe it's the undead that are part of these scenarios that sound interesting to me and I just didn't know at first.

I think I'll wait to see how things pan out after it ends before I consider starting it. I've already got quite a few shows that I'm behind on myself. Thanks for explaining it.

I think there is more to it then just that, honestly my theory is that
God didn't abandon the world, in fact he's simply decided to grant all the wishes that people have. Scar becoming human in episode 9 along with the constant birth of new grave keepers supports this.

There are also a lot of interesting themes that have been reoccurring in the show, the biggest one being people's desire to create
Heaven on Earth, Ai's mother, Orvis, and now class 3-4's worlds are all in a sense places where time has stopped and people live happy lives in a perpetual state
along with those who
wish to shatter these false worlds and "save" the world like Ai's father, the Gravekeepers, and Alis
raising the question
in a world where the dead keep on living and everyone's wishes are granted what does it truly mean to live and be happy?

I have more speculations and thoughts on the series and the direction it might go but I'll save those for later.

I vaguely remember reading about the gravekeepers part somewhere. It was that premise coupled with the designs that made the show not stand out to me initially when the season started. If anything, the spoiler bit I quoted from BassForever makes it sound like a completely different show than what you described. But maybe it's the undead that are part of these scenarios that sound interesting to me and I just didn't know at first.

There is more to the show then just that, the novels this anime is based upon is still ongoing and their is clearly a lot of story left to tell when this season ends in 2 episodes.

Grisaia's great when it comes to humor, but I found it fairly disappointing outside of that, It's disjointed, lacks cohesion (in part due to having several different writers) and has some real pacing and stuctural problems. And the whole thing is essentially an extended prologue for the sequels. I think the common route was the best part of the VN.

zeroshiki

Tonari no Totoro/My Neighbour Totoro

EsoWBkK.jpg

Lovely animation, art, setting and ost.

Content wise it wasn't what I was really expecting. Always got the impression it was a 'feels'/:firehawk type movie. Instead it was light/creepy horror with scenes that must have been imagined by someone off their face on hallucinogenics.

It was enjoyable, but far from my favourite Ghibli work.

/deadtome

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I know where you're coming from.

I lack the image I saved for this but in the first episode of Mushishi, there's a scene where the main characters is explaining to a young boy about the nature of mushi and how it's so vast and elemental and despite being a form of life, so completely alien in it's own way from us.

The framing for this shot was of the two of them standing round a large fire taken from some distance away with the gloom of night around them. So I typed some comments about how the gloom is sort of a metaphor for the oppressive feeling that the sense of these multitude of mushi have around such a small, beacon of light that is normal life and minute it is.

Then I looked back and thought "Fuck, that's a really pretentious way of looking at it. Maybe they just thought that shot looked neat?"

Yeah I kind of wonder if a lot of this symbolism and setting mood stuff might just be pretentious interpretation that wasnt really intended. I bet a lot of shows highly regarded for these reasons were simply framed in certain ways because it simply looked fitting.

Syrinx

Monogatari S2 2

...I approve. That scene was even more amazing than I expected. Wow, Shaft.

But seriously, Senjougahara at the end got to an issue there with Hanekawa that I've kind of had with her for a while. She basically just accepts everything that life gives her while never really trying to make it better. Her home life with her "family" is shit, but she fully accepts it and doesn't try to find another place to go, not because she doesn't have other places where she could stay, but because she's so willing to accept her undesirable situation. I don't know what that tiger is, but in a way, assuming it's the one that burned down her house, he may have just done her the biggest favor anybody's ever done for her.

I was gonna post this earlier today but I guess I had more work than I thought!

CD Sales from Sept 02 to Sept 08
CD Single
*6, 22,479 *22,479 Gin no Saji OP "Faraway / Kiss you"
*7, 18,698 *18,698 Free! : Character Song Vol.3 Matsuoka Rin (Miyano Mamoru) "Break our balance"
*8, 15,021 *15,021 Free! : Character Song Vol.5 Ryuugazaki Rei (Hirakawa Daisuke) "Dive & Fly"
10, 14,283 *14,283 Free! : Character Song Vol.4 Hazuki Nagisa (Yonaga Tsubasa) "Fun!"
13, 11,787 *11,787 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G : Character Song 6 Chris "Bye-Bye Lullaby"
17, *7,000 **7,000 Dangan Ronpa the Animation ED "Zetsubousei: Hero Chiryouyaku"
19, *5,238 **5,238 DokiDoki! Precure ED "Love Link / Kono Sora no Musou ~Dokidoki! Precure to Issho~"
23, *4,061 **4,061 Futari wa Milky Holmes OP/ED "Glory Glowin☆Days"
25, *3,568 *18,692 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. Movie theme song "Circle Game"
27, *3,384 209,497 Shingeki no Kyojin OP "Jiyuu e no Shingeki"
30, *3,141 **3,141 Diabolik Lovers Character Song Vol.4 Sakamaki Subaru "Zero"
31, *3,044 *10,245 Prince of Tennis character song "TeniPri Fever"
33, *2,928 *81,472 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 TV OP "Fight For Liberty / Wizard CLUB"
37, *2,357 *13,550 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G : Character Song 5 Shirabe "Oukyo Shul-shagana"
38, *2,349 *49,837 Free! ED "Splash Free"
39, *2,336 **2,336 Mushibugyou OP "Denshin∞Unchained"
40, *2,113 *28,144 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S OP "eternal reality"
42, *2,043 *21,719 Shingeki no Kyojin ED "great escape"
45, *1,989 **6,563 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai. ED "secret base ~Kimi ga Kureta Mono~ 12 years after special package"
48, *1,818 *25,305 Free! : Character Song Vol.2 Tachibana Makoto (Suzuki Tatsuhisa) "Mirai e no Stroke"
49, *1,760 *22,131 Free! : Character Song Vol.1 Nanase Haruka (Shimazaki Nobunaga) "Ao no Kanata'
59, *1,306 *20,033 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G : Character Song 4 Tsubasa "Gekkou no Tsurugi"
60, *1,294 **1,294 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai : CharaCD.000 Elsie & Haqua starring Itoh Kanae & Hayami Saori "Romantic☆2Night / With...you..."
64, *1,182 **6,183 Watashi ga Motenai nowa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! OP "Watashi ga Motenai nowa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui"
68, *1,109 **7,756 Gatchaman Crowds OP "Crowds"
72, *1,034 *20,742 Love Live! : Printemps ~Honoka, Kotori, Hanayo from μ's~ "Pure girls project"
(cut-off 1,000)

CD Album
18, 4,952 *4,952 Ro-Kyu-Bu! "Dear friends"
20, 4,198 21,814 Free! Drama CD "Iwatobi Koukou Suieibu - Katsudou Nisshi 1"
35, 2,938 12,136 Free! Radio CD "Iwatobi Channel" Vol.1
42, 2,536 *2,536 Precure Vocal Best Box
61, 1,706 51,342 Shingeki no Kyojin Original Soundtrack
70, 1,474 *7,439 Toaru Majutsu no Index best "Toaru Majutsu no TV Songs"
78, 1,332 16,740 Kaze Tachinu Soundtrack
(cut-off 1,022)

Source

Yesssssss at those sales of Danganronpa ED. Can't wait to get my single!

If anything, the spoiler bit I quoted from BassForever makes it sound like a completely different show than what you described. But maybe it's the undead that are part of these scenarios that sound interesting to me and I just didn't know at first.

Remember, this takes place in the real, modern world. That's definitely a place where
school shootings
can happen.

Mr.Jeff

Grisaia's great when it comes to humor, but I found it fairly disappointing outside of that, It's disjointed, lacks cohesion (in part due to having several different writers) and has some real pacing and structural problems. And the whole thing is essentially an extended prologue for the sequels. I think the common route was the best part of the VN.
After finishing one route so far (holy fuck why was it about 15 hours long) that sounds mostly on the money. The initial stuff with the classmates banter back and forth is great but the tonal shift into the serious stuff is pretty weird and a lot of what happens is a bit nonsensical.

zeroshiki

Here's your daily yaraon pickup from me:

Apparently Gou's room in Free! looks suspiciously like a room you would find if you searched "fashionable room" in NAVER.

BT5RTpaIMAAtQMA.png

Clearly a coincidence!

=====================================

In other Free! news, Volume 1 dominates the daily ranking by coming in no.2 for BD all genres and no.3 for DVD all genres. The only ones above it are AKB related.

Code:
BD
*2 Free
13 Index Movie
18 Hataraku Maou sama 3
20 Attack on Titan 2

DVD
*3 Free
11 Usavich
18 My Neighbor Totoro

After finishing one route so far (holy fuck why was it about 15 hours long) that sounds mostly on the money. The initial stuff with the classmates banter back and forth is great but the tonal shift into the serious stuff is pretty weird and a lot of what happens is a bit nonsensical.

I hear the sequels get into some Metal Gear territory, so I wonder how crazy it gets later on.

Rozen Maiden 2013 7

So I was right after all
I mean it's not like Shinku didn't warn him to not open the book, but the emails themselves kinda gave me a different tone as well. Wound Jun still isn't able to contact unwound Jun.

Thinking back, I think what is most interesting is that he hasn't been able to contact unwound Jun since his cell phone "broke" in the N-Field in episode 3. I wonder if there's a connection to that.

Anyway, seems like Suigintou wants Jun to be her medium, but not without conditions from him.

Jun's becoming depressed again from all this
and interestingly enough, he's building more dolls around this point of time. Making Shinku sort of made him a bit more... reclusive at first but started opening up for him. Maybe making this new doll is the exact opposite?

OceanBlue

Grisaia's great when it comes to humor, but I found it fairly disappointing outside of that, It's disjointed, lacks cohesion (in part due to having several different writers) and has some real pacing and stuctural problems. And the whole thing is essentially an extended prologue for the sequels. I think the common route was the best part of the VN.

I still need to do more than one route. I completed Sachi's a long time ago, but for some reason I just kinda stopped in the middle of Amane's route. I really enjoyed Sachi's route, but I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories and I like her character archetype. Otherwise, I can see where you're coming from. I can imagine that the structural problems become more evident as you do more routes.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate each route? Maybe Dresden and Mr.Jeff would appreciate it if it were in spoilers, but I don't mind having a bit of expectations going in to each character's route (and I might put Amane's route off for later so I get a decent pace started again).

Kagami

CD Sales from Sept 02 to Sept 08

CD Album
18, 4,952 *4,952 Ro-Kyu-Bu! "Dear friends"
Mine just shipped out from Neowing/CD Japan!
It's SAL shipping though, so I don't know when I'll see it.
5k is lower than their first album pure elements (7k first week), but I guess that's to be expected for sequels.

Yesssssss at those sales of Danganronpa ED. Can't wait to get my single!
Sounds like you're waiting on shipping, too.

cajunator

Banned
Remember, this takes place in the real, modern world. That's definitely a place where
school shootings
can happen.

This show seems a lot more serious than I had imagined.

Here's your daily yaraon pickup from me:

Apparently Gou's room in Free! looks suspiciously like a room you would find if you searched "fashionable room" in NAVER.

=====================================

In other Free! news, Volume 1 dominates the daily ranking by coming in no.2 for BD all genres and no.3 for DVD all genres. The only ones above it are AKB related.

Code:
BD
*2 Free
13 Index Movie
18 Hataraku Maou sama 3
20 Attack on Titan 2

DVD
*3 Free
11 Usavich
18 My Neighbor Totoro

How do people actually discover these correlations?
it is kinda scary.

Mr.Jeff

I hear the sequels get into some Metal Gear territory, so I wonder how crazy it gets later on.
I can fully imagine it doing so after some of the nonsense I've just sat through but I don't get how they can make sequels out of this. Seems fairly self-contained. I'll probably read up on it tomorrow.

Basically I got one part of Makina's route of the way since while she has a pretty fun personality, her style of character in a VN is still really creepy. That said, her epilogue of (big freaking spoiler, don't quote)
of literally becoming a sniper and a baker after resolving the issue with her family in a couple of minutes was frankly ridiculous. Not to mention Kazami being some kind of miracle-soldier.

Uh, to keep this anime related, Michiru is voiced by Mami from Madoka's VA, Kaori Mizuhashi? Albeit under her alternate name she uses for VNs.

Edit: Augh, it's 2AM again.

Edit 2: It's also a symptom of how quiet it is that we can go off an a tangent like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom