• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine just shipped out from Neowing/CD Japan!
It's SAL shipping though, so I don't know when I'll see it.
5k is lower than their first album pure elements (7k first week), but I guess that's to be expected for sequels.

Sounds like you're waiting on shipping, too.

I believe CDJapan already shipped it but I think the transit time is like forever and a day.

Dareka no Manazashi

TJPz0c3l.jpg

A nice short that looks into how a parent and a child grows apart from each other.

The art's pretty nice and I like the setting of the near future world even though it doesn't really do anything to the story. The story wasn't bad. It was simple but sweet as well.

Hey AnimeGAF, I was recently discussing anime fandom in general with my dad because he was trying to understand the concept behind anime conventions. Anyway, at the end of the conversation, he said that he'd be willing to watch an anime movie in order to get a first hand experience of what an anime is really like as opposed to what one overhears from third parties.

I'm not sure what to show him though. Any recommendations?

Rozen Maiden 2013 8

See, even Suigintou figured it out. Then again, Shinku can't fly. lol. Jun, you need to be more honest with yourself man. Even chicks dig you now!

I mean someday, he's gonna open more doors and not become a shut in at this rate.

mhs004

Hey AnimeGAF, I was recently discussing anime fandom in general with my dad because he was trying to understand the concept behind anime conventions. Anyway, at the end of the conversation, he said that he'd be willing to watch an anime movie in order to get a first hand experience of what an anime is really like as opposed to what one overhears from third parties.

The first berserk movie? It's pretty manly and has a lot of killing.

Whatever you do make sure he doesn't watch the third!

OceanBlue

What kind of experience do you want to give him? You could show him Wolf Children or a Ghibli movie.

I still need to do more than one route. I completed Sachi's a long time ago, but for some reason I just kinda stopped in the middle of Amane's route. I really enjoyed Sachi's route, but I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories and I like her character archetype. Otherwise, I can see where you're coming from. I can imagine that the structural problems become more evident as you do more routes.

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate each route? Maybe Dresden and Mr.Jeff would appreciate it if it were in spoilers, but I don't mind having a bit of expectations going in to each character's route (and I might put Amane's route off for later so I get a decent pace started again).
To be honest, I have trouble ranking the routes. Amane is the least interesting part of her route, the other part of it is pretty good, but it's not great as a whole. Makina's has the most action and "plot relevance," but it has strange plot holes and I don't think the story is at its strongest when its serious. Michiru's was pretty funny and wacky, and for some reason the absurdity of it worked for me. I like Yumiko's character, but her route wasn't particularly strong.

In terms of structure and pacing, the flashback sequences thrown in most of the routes are pretty jarring and destroy the flow of the story in many cases.

I can fully imagine it doing so after some of the nonsense I've just sat through but I don't get how they can make sequels out of this. Seems fairly self-contained. I'll probably read up on it tomorrow.

Apparently the sequels are based off of some alternate version of the first VN where all of the girls routes are combined into one bigger one without the romance.

Well what does he like in other mediums?

Dresden

Sword of the Stranger, because the best way to bond with family is to watch things die.

zeroshiki

A Ghibli movie. Maybe Mononoke? Or Laputa?

Wolf Children might be a good idea too.

Depends on what kind of movies he likes and what you want to show him.

Hard to go wrong with Studio Ghibli though.
If he likes Sci-fi I'd say Ghost in the Shell.

yami4ct

A Ghibli movie. Maybe Mononoke? Or Laputa?

Wolf Children might be a good idea too.

The weird sort of half bestiality in Wolf Children might put off those not already into anime.

Safest bet would be almost anything Ghibli. Mononoke or Totoro would probably work best for an adult. Porco Roso could also work. The Girl Who Leapt through Time might also be a good choice.

If I were to give a terrible suggestion, I'd love to see someone react to Grave of the Fireflies as their first anime. I don't particularly like that film, but it'd be super interesting to hear the reaction.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 3

Hold it, hold it, hold it! Did I just see what I thought I just saw?!

Cure Mint...used an offensive attack.

Everything I thought I knew is a lie.

Also we now have a mascot with a pet mascot. Yo dawg I heard you like mascots etc. etc.

Seriously this is like the best upgrade they could have given her...

OceanBlue

The only people who would be put off by that are people who've spent too much time on the internet and/or insecure people. Its really not a big deal.

I don't know. I can see my parents finding it a little bit weird. I'd imagine that older people who don't spend a lot of time on the internet (like my parents) would find something like that weird just because they're not used to it. I don't think it'd scare them off from the movie though.

I want to give him an experience that will make him see that it's a form of entertainment that can be appreciated and it's not what the stereotypes make it out to be. He's mainly into Action or anything that has all the elements that make a good film and won't drag on. I don't really want to show him a Ghibli movie though because I think that it may be too light-hearted for his taste.

Instro

Does it need to be dubbed?

I want to give him an experience that will make him see that it's a form of entertainment that can be appreciated and it's not what the stereotypes make it out to be. He's mainly into Action or anything that has all the elements that make a good film and won't drag on. I don't really want to show him a Ghibli movie though because I think that it may be too light-hearted for his taste.

Sword of the Stranger then. Has a dub if needed.

zeroshiki

I don't know. I can see my parents finding it a little bit weird. I'd imagine that older people who don't spend a lot of time on the internet (like my parents) would find something like that weird just because they're not used to it. I don't think it'd scare them off from the movie though.

Well, for one thing, the title is Wolf Children. While not applicable to this convo, I hope the people who decide to watch it know what they're getting into before starting the movie.

I think being weirded out by furries is overblown and is something insecure people on the internet harp on about. Yes its weird, no I don't think this movie is furry (whatever that means)

yami4ct

How do you know his dad isn't insecure?

But yeah, I can kind of see it being a turnoff for a bunch of people.

To be clear, I think Wolf Children is a fantastic film and none of the potential bestiality elements bothered me one bit. I just think I wouldn't use it as an intro anime. I could easily see people getting hung up on that early on and not enjoying the rest of the film.

Mononoke sure as hell isn't light hearted. Honestly, that sounds like the perfect fit. Other than that, moving into classic stuff like Akira or Ghost in the Shell might be good options.

zeroshiki

How conservative? Sword of the Stranger has blood and guts everywhere. Princess Mononoke is a great choice unless he's the type of conservative who doesn't like watching girls fighting.

Joe Molotov

I make my parents watch Ghibli movies with me. And Summer Wars.

But clearly the correct answer is School Days.

I might say Redline, but it could be a bit too colorful for his tastes, and there are parts where it drags.

Sword of the Stranger is also a possible choice, but some people are turned off by things that are "too Japanese", so perhaps see if he's okay with that.

How conservative? Sword of the Stranger has blood and guts everywhere.

Blood and guts are fine. Maybe I was being a little too broad...Okay, for example I was thinking of showing him Evangelion 1.11, but then there's a scene where Rei's breasts are shown I think? (It's been a while since I've seen it) So I don't think he would like the idea of seeing a animated teenager's breasts lol.

Vecks

Free! 10

Whaaa? Even in elementary school, before he met Sharktooth, Haru was doing his "Ore wa free shika oyoganai!" bit? And here I thought this came about because of something that happened between them. Are we ever gonna get a back story on why he's so adamant on swimming freestyle?

yami4ct

Blood and guts are fine. Maybe I was being a little too broad...Okay, for example I was thinking of showing him Evangelion 1.11, but then there's a scene where Rei's breasts are shown I think? (It's been a while since I've seen it) So I don't think he would like the idea of seeing a animated teenager's breasts lol.

Showing someone Eva 1.11 as their first anime seems terrible for a variety of reasons. It's poorly paced and hard to understand if you haven't seen the show. Also, it's the first part of a series, which may be a turnoff. Something self contained would be way better.

Sounds like Sword of the Stranger would be a safe bet then. Hopefully, he enjoys it!

Showing someone Eva 1.11 as their first anime seems terrible for a variety of reasons. It's poorly paced and hard to understand if you haven't seen the show. Also, it's the first part of a series, which may be a turnoff. Something self contained would be way better.

^ Another reason(s) why I didn't want to show him that actually.

mhs004

Whatever you do don't show him evangelion.

Does he like thrillers or more psychological movies?
Perfect Blue might be a good one then. Although there is that attempted rape scene in it.

yami4ct

Evangelion is a pretty bad choice as a first anime, no matter how popular it is to recommend it in the west.

Eva is something you watch after you've gotten quite a few series under your belt. You need to have some shows under your belt to get it. Also, it'd be best if you had some mecha experience to fully grasp the subversive nature of the show.

It's too bad it's limited to just films. I'd say Cowboy Bebop is always the perfect first anime pick. Always.

I've never seen Sword of the Stranger myself, so I'll definitely look into it. Ghost in the Shell seems to be a good recommendation as well.

Edit: Hmm the Cowboy Bebop Movie perhaps?

Crocodile

I feel like its been forever since I saw the movie but wouldn't Cowboy Bebop: Knock of Heaven's Door be a good recommendation? I can't recall how well you need to be familiar with the characters to enjoy the movie though. I think I recall a bit on an awkward Faye Valentine scene too but nothing in the movie is above or beyond anything you'd see in a Hollywood action flick.

Joe Molotov

It's too bad it's limited to just films. I'd say Cowboy Bebop is always the perfect first anime pick. Always.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie is probably still pretty good even if you haven't seen the show. Also I was just thinking of Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro.

I feel like its been forever but wouldn't Cowboy Bebop: Knock of Heaven's Door be a good recommendation? I can't recall how well you need to be familiar with the characters to enjoy the movie though. I think I recall a bit on an awkward Faye Valentine scene too but nothing in the movie is above or beyond anything you'd see in a Hollywood action flick.

Yeah but that scene is between two adults, it might be better to show the anime before the movie first though.

OceanBlue

To be honest, I have trouble ranking the routes. Amane is the least interesting part of her route, the other part of it is pretty good, but it's not great as a whole. Makina's has the most action and "plot relevance," but it has strange plot holes and I don't think the story is at its strongest when its serious. Michiru's was pretty funny and wacky, and for some reason the absurdity of it worked for me. I like Yumiko's character, but her route wasn't particularly strong.

In terms of structure and pacing, the flashback sequences thrown in most of the routes are pretty jarring and destroy the flow of the story in many cases.
I see what you mean regarding the flashbacks. In Sachi's route, at least, it probably could've been handled a bit better (even if I think the setting provided a good lead into it). Thanks for the response. I'm probably going to go back to Amane's route later and go to Michiru's.

Well, for one thing, the title is Wolf Children. While not applicable to this convo, I hope the people who decide to watch it know what they're getting into before starting the movie.

I think being weirded out by furries is overblown and is something insecure people on the internet harp on about. Yes its weird, no I don't think this movie is furry (whatever that means)

It's not like I'm saying that people will be horribly repulsed by the scene or that a <1 minute scene makes the entire movie "furry". I just think that it's not strange for people, especially older people, to find that one scene outside of their comfort zone. The rest of the movie is good enough that I'd imagine most people will forget about it anyway.

Let's say that he's kind of conservative when it comes to sexuality, something without nudity would be preferred.

You should show him nanoha ;D

yami4ct

Yeah but that scene is between two adults, it might be better to show the anime before the movie first though.

Convince him to give Bebop a try. It's not that long. I literally think it's impossible to dislike that show. I've met so many people who don't typically watch/like anime but adore Bebop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom