• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I think I'll narrow it down to Sword of the Stranger, Ghost in the Shell, and maybe Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (or probably the anime).
Thanks for the input guys!

Crocodile

Yeah but that scene is between two adults, it might be better to show the anime before the movie first though.

You said he was conservative regarding anything sexual but I had no idea "how" conservative. If standard Hollywood fare is ok by him then that should make recommendations easier. If it's just loli/shota/moe or hyper fan-service stuff that might turn him off then I think we all assumed that anyway.

Is there a reason one episode OVAs aren't being considered? Probably would be easier to convince him to watch something shorter and has the same single sitting commitment that a movie would have.

I think you might be better off getting him to watch something that will leave an impression on him or get an interesting reaction rather than tailoring to his current tastes. I doubt even the best action packed anime would dethrone whatever he considers his favorite war/action/western/whatever movie of all time.

If nothing else something like Grave of the Fireflies would definitely erase whatever image of anime he has currently. Also curious about how he'd react to the Time of Eve movie or Tokyo Godfathers but maybe these would stray out of his comfort zone especially since we don't know how comfortable he is with subs. Sword of the Stranger is probably the safest bet though.

Also happy birthday Kurita, because your birthday is the only one I can remember around here.

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Well then, time for things to start moving.

Sheeee's heeeere and is wrecking the play right now! The world where Wound Jun is at seems to be warping, and he's using that in hopes to get into the Unwound world.

Also the DESU doll is back, and she's ruining shit by defending the 7th because of who the body belongs to.

Speaking of which, the body isn't a replica. It's an actual Rozen Maiden body, which was deconstructed and sent into the Unwound world. Talk about fucked up yo.

zeroshiki

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Well then, time for things to start moving.

Sheeee's heeeere and is wrecking the play right now! The world where Wound Jun is at seems to be warping, and he's using that in hopes to get into the Unwound world.

Also the DESU doll is back, and she's ruining shit by defending the 7th because of who the body belongs to.

Speaking of which, the body isn't a replica. It's an actual Rozen Maiden body, which was deconstructed and sent into the Unwound world. Talk about fucked up yo.

As I said in the show thread, vol 5 to sell 10k copies confirmed.

Kazzy

Evangelion is a pretty bad choice as a first anime, no matter how popular it is to recommend it in the west.

I'd be really skeptical about someone finding it instantly gratifying, especially the uninitiated. A lot of its value does come from the inherent fan-wankery that it indulges.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The weird sort of half bestiality in Wolf Children might put off those not already into anime.
Meanwhile James T. Kirk sleeps with every alien woman in the galaxy and people think little of it. Nothing wrong with having relations with a fully sentient animal-person.

Besides, you need to have wolf sex to have wolf children, and the kids will definitely win people over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Meanwhile James T. Kirk sleeps with every alien woman in the galaxy and people think little of it. Nothing wrong with having relations with a fully sentient animal-person.

Besides, you need to have wolf sex to have wolf children, and the kids will definitely win people over.
Wait, since when did "people" have a problem with werewolves?

Since we know nothing about them, we don't have any reason to assume they're just not humans with some supernatural "disease" like normal werewolves.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wait, since when did "people" have a problem with werewolves?

Since we know nothing about them, we don't have any reason to assume they're just not humans with some supernatural "disease" like normal werewolves.
Werewolves aren't usually considered in the same category, given folklore trappings, even if the distinction quickly becomes dubious when you set aside the horror aspect.

dokidoki precure 31

iHiDkaHOXMJBN.gif

Mushibugyo - 22
Disapointing ?
Boring ?
Not entertaining?
Im not sure why i disliked this episode .
Was it because i could see the events unfolding even before the episode started ?
Is it because this episode did not add anything intresting to the plot except for some backstory for a character that is one of the least intresting in the casting ?
Is it a bit of everything above ?

I can honnestly say that the best part of the episode was the preview for the next episode

Mature

The "furry stuff" in Wolf Children is little league. I wouldn't imagine it would actually turn many people off. Only in concept.

Rozen Maiden 2013 10

Suddenly this became a harem anime

Everyone wants new Jun, but he ends up going with Desu's twin by accident, fucking up the 7ths "body" in her own dimension as well. Twin's description of how she was handled by Jun though... well that certainly pissed off Shinku and Suigintou.

Anyway, Jun met Jun at last, and Jun told Jun that his life kinda sucked, but Jun realized WHY THE FUCK AM I CRUSHING JUN'S HOPES, and then Jun realized the truth of the world, and thus Jun is pleased by these affairs.

Kanaria always get thrown under the bus.

Anyway, looks like I've caught up. Time to catch up on Uchouten Kazoku next.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I know werewolves are questionable, but catgirls are still okay, right? As long as they're at like 80-90% anthropomorphization, no harm no foul?
When you're worrying about what percentages are "safe", you've already lost. Just enjoy whatever works for you.

Even that. I dunno. I feel like the setup of her falling in love with him as a human makes the impact of that scene more tender than anything.
Oh, of course, but not everyone is... mature.

cajunator

Banned
Hey AnimeGAF, I was recently discussing anime fandom in general with my dad because he was trying to understand the concept behind anime conventions. Anyway, at the end of the conversation, he said that he'd be willing to watch an anime movie in order to get a first hand experience of what an anime is really like as opposed to what one overhears from third parties.

I'm not sure what to show him though. Any recommendations?

A great one is Millennium Actress

jediyoshi

Kokoro Connect 1

JzGPahk.png

Japanese school clubs
Step 1: Don't actually do anything
Step 2: Drink tea

Should be nice to watch back to back with Hyouka which seems set on pretending that sexual tension isn't the first thing on every student's mind.

Uchouten Kazoku 1

So a human, tanuki, and a tengu walk into a bar.

Oh wait, scratch the tengu. So it's like from what I can grasp, these three are well aware of each other or something? Or at least tengu and tanukis are.

But I get to see this Benten everyone was talking about at least
She needs a sister named Gwen
. The flash back introducing her, and the bar scene was like night and day. You have the elegance of Benten surrounding her, with music sounding rather whimsical, even with the flying around in a whole new world. Then you have the Fridays, where it's a whole new mask... or rather the real face of Benten.

While we did see a younger/older brother, not much happened with them, but I expect them to show up with more time. I mean, it would be dumb not to, right?

cajunator

Banned
I don't know. I can see my parents finding it a little bit weird. I'd imagine that older people who don't spend a lot of time on the internet (like my parents) would find something like that weird just because they're not used to it. I don't think it'd scare them off from the movie though.

How would that be any weirder than the typical anthropomorphic disney or dreamworks movie?

Syrinx

Heaven's Lost Property 12

Poor Nymph. That last shot in the ED killed me. I guess the gammas are there to finish her off since her master has cut her loose. If she gets out of this, which I have to believe she will somehow, maybe she'll be free of that cunt and shred his genitals. That'd be nice.

How'd Tomoki get out of jail so quickly after being arrested for suspected terrorism? And lol at Mikako. Dat bloodlust. Best girl. I don't even know how you'd argue otherwise.

As for Ikaros, if she's that desperate to smile, I recommend the Yin method:

Considering its nearly an AnimeGaf meme, alot?

It's an animegaf meme ? i wasn't on GAF when this started to go around so i wouldn't know .
--------------
Fantasista Dolls - 01
Fantasista%20Doll%20-%2001_01.jpg

Every card player ( magic , yugioh and so on ) did this at least once in their life
So let me get this straight ...

It's Magic the gathering but with a yu-gi oh duel disk but in form of a cellphone but in reality it's not with monsters of course but with dolls in cards , especially with female shaped dolls of all types ( tsundere , kuudere,loli, milf and so on ) that have their own minds and everything comes with Equips that are basicly a garderobe so that they can milk the wallet of everyone intrested in.

Now you throw in a Female easily scared but genious at cards protagonist and a mysterious yet fabulous masked man with a ridiculous surname.

Gotta catch them all i guess ? ( wait wrong anime )
Fantasista%20Doll%20-%2001_02.jpg

You course you won't , i mean you just lost against a complete newbie in a one sided battle ..
I'm intrested ...let me see what they can do with this setting ....

It's an animegaf meme ? i wasn't on GAF when this started to go around so i wouldn't know .
--------------
Fantasista Dolls - 01

So let me get this straight ...

It's Magic the gathering but with a yu-gi oh duel disk but in form of a cellphone but in reality it's not with monsters of course but not with cards , especially with female shaped dolls of all types ( tsundere , kuudere,loli, milf and so on ) that have their own minds and everything comes with Equips that are basicly a garderobe so that they can milk the wallet of everyone intrested in.

Now you throw in a Female easily scared but genious at cards protagonist and a mysterious yet fabulous masked man with a ridiculous surname.

Gotta catch them all i guess ? ( wait wrong anime )

I'm intrested ...let me see what they can do with this setting ....

I like the series, but a lot of the fights really aren't that special especially with the premise at hand. The most recent episode battle was fantastic so if you feel like dropping at least skip and watch that (believe its episode 9)

zeroshiki

It was announced today that Kaze Tachinu, Hayao Miyazaki's final feature film has hit the magical 10 billion yen mark cementing it as the most successful Japanese movie since 2007's Ponyo (counting American movies, its the most successful since 2010 Toy Story 3). A whopping 8 million have seen the movie since release.

FluxWaveZ

I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Started watching Elfen Lied today and I'm up to episode 5. All of the romance/drama crap is turning me off and the violence isn't really doing anything for me, but I might as well continue watching.

Thank goodness it is now though. All dat wolfrun

Now i'm sure you're doing it on purpose ...
How does this feel to put salt on a wound that can't heal fast enough ?

---------
Mushibugyo - 23

For some reason i was 1 week late with this anime... so let me watch the episode i was really waiting for.

-The fights ... quite good.
-Tsukichima : still himself and clueless ...
-The big reveal .. Finally she WILL TELL HIM .... or not ... because you can't do that ...If it's not tsukichima idiocy , it's fate that refuse them to know the truth ..loving how he STILL can't piece 2 & 2 together even with all the facts.

Mugai flashback was too short but still good ...explain a bit on what happened for the events on season 1

IN general all the flashback in this episode were effective ..i'm glad they did it , it add a lot to the characters , especially since they were good characters.
Mushibugyo%20-%2023.jpg

*cries .. Best moment of the episode..
Ooka was .... superb .

Yukimura was like a final boss should be ...even if he is 200% a bad guy and this show hold no punches when they have to , this episode was an enjoyment because yukimura is still even in his actions ..i kinda like it.

Narag

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum..

Texhnolyze easily.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I hope this is the right place to ask for suggestions.

I'm looking for an anime that has a perpetual, perhaps overbearing sense of despair, misery, doom and gloom and all that fun stuff. I want scenes of comic relief or general silliness to either be non existent or kept to an absolute minimum. I'm thinking elements from Paranoia Agent, Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan and, like, the opposite of Space Brothers.

Started watching Elfen Lied today and I'm up to episode 5. All of the romance/drama crap is turning me off and the violence isn't really doing anything for me, but I might as well continue watching.
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Violinist of Hameln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom