• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I forget, I want to say some impressions of the anime I started watching in my school's anime club
Mawaru Penguindrum 1-5
This show is hilarious. The penguins are adorable and funny. The animated warnings in the train scenes are funny. And the "SEIZON SENRYAKU" is the best. I also think I figured out what the penguindrum is currently. I assume there is some sort of secret power behind it that is going to be revealed later.
Tonight my anime club is watching Baccano

Phi Brain

Phi-Brain-0093-325x183.jpg

That's a boy? D:

Please don't tell me Nonoha is secretly a boy as well or I'll rage quit this series so hard

The episode itself was actually heart warming, I really enjoyed Ana's character... I felt the show could use an overly quirky female character... the last thing we needed was another quirky male running around
Yes it's a boy ...schooooking i know ..but that won't stop you from liking him after a while . You'll get more "true" female characters later.
A morning show in Japan posed a question "What do foreigners think are the best anime in a post-Miyazaki world?"

The results are hilarious.

11. Naruto
10. Evangelion
9. Stein's;Gate
8. Code Geass
7. Kuroko no Basketball
6. Pokemon
5. Death Note
4. 5 cm/s
3. Gundam
2. One Piece
1. Attack on Titan

Oh my sides hurt.

Are you sure that's the right question ? Don't you think they asked " what anime do you think is popular right now ? " instead ?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kitakubu 9

Pretty funny episode this week. Lots of great references.
Pokemon, DQV, and especially Watamote
. Also things got pretty meta there at the end.

zeroshiki

The Japanese have a really low opinion of us.

Kuroko is the only choice that baffles me though. Is there really any substantial overseas fanbase for that show?

I'm confused, is this question asked to foreigners, or is it what Japanese think foreigners think?

Sorry I wasn't clear. It was a question posed to foreigners as to what they thought was the next big thing in anime after Miyazaki.

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 10

This is just like my Japanese anime

ibyO6KeV0QtG3T.jpg

Never trust any chick who says this.

ibyVSivh2yiIVK.jpg

Kanaria is a lot more awesome than in the previous anime, perhaps.

It's nice to see that the storyboarding in this series is still consistently awesome. Also, the middle section of this episode sure was
CONGRATULATIONS SHINJI
. I can't imagine the similarities are all unintentional.

I do have a feeling things are going to keep getting more and more convoluted, but we'll see how it goes. At least the direction isn't suffering.

A morning show in Japan posed a question "What do foreigners think are the best anime in a post-Miyazaki world?"

11. Naruto
10. Evangelion
9. Stein's;Gate
8. Code Geass
7. Kuroko no Basketball
6. Pokemon
5. Death Note
4. 5 cm/s
3. Gundam
2. One Piece
1. Attack on Titan

Oh my sides hurt.

Probably not the best to assess this as I dont think Ive seen anything good of miyazaki, but I take issue that Titan and One Piece are so high up while Naruto and Kuroko are so down there

Syrinx

A morning show in Japan posed a question "What do foreigners think are the best anime in a post-Miyazaki world?" ***They asked foreigners***

11. Naruto
10. Evangelion
9. Stein's;Gate
8. Code Geass
7. Kuroko no Basketball
6. Pokemon
5. Death Note
4. 5 cm/s
3. Gundam
2. One Piece
1. Attack on Titan

Oh my sides hurt.

I don't even understand the question. Some of these, like Steins;Gate, have already ended a while ago. And it's not like the man's work has gone away either. Sounds like the question is basically just "What's the best non-Miyazaki anime?"

Phi Brain 5

I'd like to see the 4kids version of this "a puzzle took my parents away!" lol

Seriously though it was good to learn more about Kaito's back story and why he has such love/hate with puzzles. Good thing Kaito is dumb or else he'd be able to connect the dot and put together the obvious conclusion of who the main villain is. The more Galileo chills out the more I enjoy his character even if he's still annoying. His jealousy of Nonoha's feelings for Kaito is pretty entertaining.

Also who wants a Nonoha cookie?

Dresden

Post the question to random OT-goers and I'd bet that the answers wouldn't be all that different. The AoT thread is like 6k posts already.

They found the people with the worst tastes and asked them that, apparently.

And posts like these are why madp doesn't post here anymore (or something).

And yeah, I'm thinking AoT is getting AoTY this year just based on how prevalent it is among non-animegaffers. The thread is almost twice as long as JoJo's and that made it to 3rd.

Yeah there is no denying that AoT is popular everywhere. I don't know what the Post-miyazaki world part is supposed to mean though. Its basically a "what are the most well known anime properties" list.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
And yeah, I'm thinking AoT is getting AoTY this year just based on how prevalent it is among non-animegaffers. The thread is almost twice as long as JoJo's and that made it to 3rd.
i think aot will undoubtedly make the list, but i would be surprised if it was #1.

Fantasista doll - 08

I'm not sure why i got my hopes up ... 2 ennemies , 2 antagonists ? in one episode ..but unfortunatly those were all good people so there wasn't any real threat

Fantasista%20Doll%20-%2008.jpg

NO it's because of your stupid mask !!!

All the sub plots weren't intresting ... you can feel the friendship but they must overcome a trial and that might be for next episode.

Other than that there wasn't anything to note in a school festival episode i'm somewhat disapointed.

BroCon 11

XD0SQDul.jpg

So shoujo.

I guess about time there's a confrontation between the brothers about their love with their not blood related sister.

And I honestly can't even remember that Iori is one of the brothers.

Post the question to random OT-goers and I'd bet that the answers wouldn't be all that different. The AoT thread is like 6k posts already.

I'm a random OT-goer (don't watch that much anime) and AoT seems extremely popular this year. I watch it every week and I almost never do that.

I also really like Eva and Death Note, from that list.

zeroshiki

Jojo didn't come close to winning last year. You guys are putting too much faith into random OT-goers who might not even bother to enter the voting thread.

Defuser

Well there's going to be a bunch of posters that vote for that and nothing else. Unless the rules are changed, that could put really high.

Thats why the rules should be changed. It's not fair if non-anime watchers make a drive by post of voting only AoT because its the only anime show they watch in a year while thinking other anime shows are non existent or terrible.

Fantasista doll - 08

I'm not sure why i got my hopes up ... 2 ennemies , 2 antagonists ? in one episode ..but unfortunatly those were all good people so there wasn't any real threat

All the sub plots weren't intresting ... you can feel the friendship but they must overcome a trial and that might be for next episode.

Other than that there wasn't anything to note in a school festival episode i'm somewhat disapointed.

I know how you feel, your thoughts have been mine more or less though the whole season. Want to see what you think of episode 9

Well even if it was a regular scene , 4kids would butcher it anyway.

I do not have suicidal urges .

LOL I still can't believe they rolled with "that tank took my brother away" in the YGO dub

dimb

Thats why the rules should be changed. It's not fair if non-anime watchers make a drive by post of voting only AoT because its the only anime show they watch in a year while thinking other anime shows are non existent or terrible.
in what way is it not fair?

zeroshiki

Doesn't mean they should be insulted either. When people are reluctant to post out of fear of being criticized for their tastes, I think that's a bit of an issue.

I don't know where you're going with this but I have a feeling you're projecting onto madp and these people whatever your hangups with AnimeGaf in general are but unfortunately I'm not going to play.

Code Geass > Attack on Titan

Just make it a rule that everyone has to vote for at least 3 titles.
And if you've posted in an AnimeGaf thread, you have to vote for 10 titles.

Soma

And posts like these are why madp doesn't post here anymore (or something).

This thread will become the biggest salt mine ever if Attack on Titan makes it really high on the AOTY list.

Dresden

Do we really need more rules for that damn thread? I might take control of it this year and if I do, it'll just be one title per person, lists or ranks be damned.

I think, if the thread is put up in OT, people are just going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone watches anime like the folks here, and that there's a good chance they might only watch one or two shows that year. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it's a popularity contest, not some measure of quality.

dimb

I don't think I could make a list of ten good shows from this year so far.

Defuser

Jojo didn't come close to winning last year. You guys are putting too much faith into random OT-goers who might not even bother to enter the voting thread.
If cosmic didn't make the thread in the ot do you really think jojo would have been 3rd place? Anybody who see a official topic getting high number of post would get interested and check out.

zeroshiki

What if I made a drive by post only voting for Aku no Hana while thinking other anime shows may as well not exist and/or are terrible?

You'd be worse than Pol Pot Heimmler and in league with these war criminals.

To be serious though, AOTY is an event we do as a community for fun. No one seriously thinks its the views of the community as a whole especially since we're self selected and have our own prevailing community culture.

I'm sure there are plenty of frequenters here who haven't completed 10 2013 anime/don't think that many deserve it.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

If cosmic didn't make the thread in the ot do you really think jojo would have been 3rd place? Anybody who see a official topic getting high number of post would get interested and check out.
Someone else would have made a JoJo thread if cosmic hadn't.

Like it or not the average anime viewer on GAF probably only watches 2-3 shows a year at best. _otY competitions are generally popularity contest not test of actual quality. If you truly wanted an anime of the year discussion/vote to reflect what is truly the "best" anime of the year everyone voting would had to have watched every single anime that aired this year and that simply isn't viable

AoT will likely make the list but I doubt it will win unless AnimeGAF's votes really do shrink a lot from last year.

It's not about animegaf's votes shrinking, it's about OT-gaf's growing. I think if JoJo can get to 3rd partially thanks to a thread with over 3500 posts, then AoT can surely get to 1st partially thanks to a thread that will ultimately have more than 7000-8000 posts.

Do we really need more rules for that damn thread? I might take control of it this year and if I do, it'll just be one title per person, lists or ranks be damned.

I think, if the thread is put up in OT, people are just going to have to deal with the fact that not everyone watches anime like the folks here, and that there's a good chance they might only watch one or two shows that year. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it's a popularity contest, not some measure of quality.

Yeah, I think the rules are fine as is.

Now imagine if it weren't rotoscoped!

Or imagine if Wolf Children was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom