• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, we kept Sword Art Online out of the top 10 last year and I'm pretty sure that was a popular internet anime outside of the gaffu bubble.

This is key, the vast majority of the people on GAF who watched SAO all the way though realized it was complete garbage. If AotY voting was a poll that any lurker could vote in SAO probably would have been a lot higher.

Silver Spoon Episode 10

bYcOMfI.jpg
RIP Prokbowl ;________;

Had to pause this episode a few times to compose myself. Really well done

Branduil

It's not about animegaf's votes shrinking, it's about OT-gaf's growing. I think if JoJo can get to 3rd partially thanks to a thread with over 3500 posts, then AoT can surely get to 1st partially thanks to a thread that will ultimately have more than 7000-8000 posts.

Yeah, but not everybody in that thread thinks it's the best thing since sliced swords.

I dunno, we kept Sword Art Online out of the top 10 last year and I'm pretty sure that was a popular internet anime outside of the gaffu bubble.

SAO was the show I watched last year. That shit was garbage. It seemed so promising after the first episode, too, which is why it was the one I picked. Wish I had made a different choice since I really only have time for like 1 anime a year.

Defuser

This is key, the vast majority of the people on GAF who watched SAO all the way though realized it was complete garbage. If AotY voting was a poll that any lurker could vote in SAO probably would have been a lot higher.
More like people already read the source beforehand and incite damage control.

Tenumi

Banned
I have trouble remembering what stuff I've watched is 2013 anime and which is not. Especially with stuff like blu-ray releases.

cajunator

Banned
Before I forget, I want to say some impressions of the anime I started watching in my school's anime club
Mawaru Penguindrum 1-5
This show is hilarious. The penguins are adorable and funny. The animated warnings in the train scenes are funny. And the "SEIZON SENRYAKU" is the best. I also think I figured out what the penguindrum is currently. I assume there is some sort of secret power behind it that is going to be revealed later.
Tonight my anime club is watching Baccano

Now these are fitting shows :D

our club watched Yakitate japan and Ranma 1/2 amongst othdr great things.

zeroshiki

I'd have probably enjoyed Attack on Titan more if the characters actually moved.

I'm not sure what episode it was, but there was a scene of Mikasa and someone else talking while seated at a table and they flash tweened it or something and it looked cheap as hell. I only have a limited time out of my day to watch anime and I sure as fuck wasn't gonna waste it on that.

Syrinx

Monogatari S2 4

I'm getting a little tired of this show driving home the point that Hanekawa simply looks the other way and accepts her problems instead of trying to deal with them. I feel like they've made that quite clear. Still though, it was kinda cool to see Araragi's mom

I can't say I remember this Episode guy. But that Gaen girl he was talking to was an interesting contrast to Hanekawa. Stating point that yes, she knows everything (and seemingly does) compared to Hanekawa's modesty (self-depreciation, more like). And apparently she's related to Kanbaru? I don't know, I can't really see where they'll go with that. On the other hand, if it gets Kanbaru more involved, then I guess it's all right.

Senjougahara discovers the tiger's pattern, and for the first time, Hanekawa has a problem she can't ignore, because he will damage the lives of people close to her if she does. Her putting on Araragi's clothes at the end (assuming that's what she was doing) was pretty telling about just how she feels about him. Don't quite get the note she was leaving Black Hanekawa. Maybe it's cause she thinks doing this will relieve her stress, so this will be the last time she'll come outt.

Defuser

AoT= This year's CoD where the mass casuals focus on that while ignoring the rest of the offering.
I'd have probably enjoyed Attack on Titan more if the characters actually moved.

I'm not sure what episode it was, but there was a scene of Mikasa and someone else talking while seated at a table and they flash tweened it or something and it looked cheap as hell. I only have a limited time out of my day to watch anime and I sure as fuck wasn't gonna waste it on that.
Can't be that bad as Magi's flash tweening lol.

SAO was the show I watched last year. That shit was garbage. It seemed so promising after the first episode, too, which is why it was the one I picked. Wish I had made a different choice since I really only have time for like 1 anime a year.

If you only have time for one anime show per year, you should wait until that year finishes and then pick your show so as not to waste your time with a dud.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Like it or not the average anime viewer on GAF probably only watches 2-3 shows a year at best. _otY competitions are generally popularity contest not test of actual quality. If you truly wanted an anime of the year discussion/vote to reflect what is truly the "best" anime of the year everyone voting would had to have watched every single anime that aired this year and that simply isn't viable
gaf's goty and aoty threads don't have much in common. most posts in the gaming thread are pretty uninformed, and there is rarely even enough time for people to play many titles before voting occurs.

Fantasista doll - 09

That's it !

I wanted answers , i wanted the plot to move , i wanted to see a fight

And all of the above happenned.

But first , cajun had his interest picked so i'll just throw in a large view of teh current characters :

Fantasista%20Doll%20-%2009.jpg

18 characters! we're missing 4 but that should be sufficient (3 humans & 15 dolls in the picture )

I'll just note that yes the blue girl on the right is indeed swiming on the floor ...because...

Now the episode:
The nice friendship that was growing nicely between kagami & uzume is menaced by the "Dream group" since kagami is forced to make a choice between an easy way to reach her current goal and the sacrifice of her current friendship ..

This lead to the much awaited fight that wasn't bad ... you can tell this is a kid show ... we got so much pink explosions and sometimes purple explosions too ! We got a clash of team attacks and a superb friendship speech from the heroine that acted like a proper heroine ( kinda what Mama form dokidoki precure does on a daily basis , except that uzume is a normal character so she can only do it when the mood is right ..)

Overall this episode is a positive in my book , we got the motivation for kagami, something that should have been told or hinted since ep 1 ( they did ..but not enough )
We got the president of the dream group appearing ..it's good that the main antagonist is active ... she gave a good " i'm the final boss" vibe with her overpowering doll ...i like that ...Things are moving in term of plot ... they took their sweet time but never say never i guess ?

The animation was alright ... i dare to say that it's their best attempt yet .. they did cut corners on several places but things happenned fast enough so that you can't really notice unless you pay close attention to some detail. I could have done without the pink and purple explosions ... it's like i'm watching gundam again.

"leader" was baking cookies ..i don't mind since she indeed predicted the battle outcome properly ... i'm sure nobody could have predicted the end game.. not that her being "on the scene " would have made any difference in the end.

I hope .... i hope this will mark the start of a more focused arc since ..thing are happenning , we even have a kidnapped on our hands( that scene wouldn't have worked if the previous episodes build-up wasn't there ) i guess.I know this is possible since i had exactly the same hopes for mushibugyo earlier in the year and they kicked off once the introductions arcs were finished.

Yep i'm satisfied.

Fantasista doll - 09

That's it !

I wanted answers , i wanted the plot to move , i wanted to see a fight

And all of the above happenned.

But first , cajun had his interest picked so i'll just throw in a large view of teh current characters :

I'll just note that yes the blue girl on the right is indeed swiming on the floor ...because...

Now the episode:
The nice friendship that was growing nicely between kagami & uzume is menaced by the "Dream group" since kagami is forced to make a choice between an easy way to reach her current goal and the sacrifice of her current friendship ..

This lead to the much awaited fight that wasn't bad ... you can tell this is a bid show ... we got so much pink explosions and sometimes purple explosions too ! We got a clash of team attacks and a superb friendship speech from the heroine that acted like a proper heroine ( kinda what Mama form dokidoi precure does on a daily basis , except that uzume is a normal character so she can only do it when the mood is right ..)

Overall this episode is a positive in my book , we got the motivation for kagami, something that should have been told or hinted since ep 1 ( they did ..but not enough )
We got the president of the dream group appearing ..it's good that the main antagonist is active ... she gave a good " i'm the final boss" vibe with her overpowering doll ...i like that ...Things are moving in term of plot ... they took their sweet time but never say never i guess ?

The animation was alright ... i dare to say that it's their best attempt yet .. they did cut corners on several places but things happenned fast enough so that you can't really notice unless you pay close attention to some detail. I could have done without the pink and purple explosion ... it's like i'm watching gundam again.

"leader" was baking cookies ..i don't mind since she indeed predicted the battle outcome properly ... i'm sure nobody could have predicted the end game.. not that her being "on the scene " would have made any difference in the end.

I hope .... i hope this will mark the start of a more focused arc since ..thing are happenning , we even have a kidnapped on our hands( that scene wouldn't have worked if the previous episodes build-up wasn't there ) i guess.

Yep i'm satisfied.

Glad to see you enjoyed episode 9 as much as I did. The whole series I kept saying "whe the fuck am I going to get 5 on 5 magical girl card game action that lives up to that expectation" and this episode finally delivered. If the last 3 episodes each contain fights like this I'll be satisfied.

Cwarrior

I don't see what's wrong with liking attack on titan, I've only seen the first 4 episode or so and enjoyed myself more then I expected, but that just me I already really liked the manga before the anime existed.

There must be a reason why it's caught on with non-avid anime watchers so much instead of them watching any other anime from that season, if it was all bad I don't think it would received such a following from poster that rarely ever bother watching anime.

Let's be clear it's not like the case with videogames where poster only have x amount of money to only play the games they must have, the way most poster watch anime when it release, they have the choice to watch any other anime of there choosing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i'm trying to watch akagi but the nuances of play are pretty impossible to perceive without knowing how to play mahjong, and with no grasp on the terminology the flow of the game is kind of just nebulous at all points.

i think i need a break on its polar opposite. love live y/n?

wonzo

Banned
i'm trying to watch akagi but the nuances of play are pretty impossible to perceive without knowing how to play mahjong, and with no grasp on the terminology the flow of the game is kind of just nebulous at all points.

i think i need a break on its polar opposite. love live y/n?
y but be wary of the bits of awkward cg and dumb melodrama

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BroCon 11

http://i.imgur.com/XD0SQDul.jpg

So shoujo.

I guess about time there's a confrontation between the brothers about their love with their not blood related sister.

And I honestly can't even remember that Iori is one of the brothers.
The best part of this show is the 30 second teaser at the beginning. lol

y but be wary of the bits of awkward cg and dumb melodrama
Oh yes, that random ending that both serves the plot of the first season but lets them make a second season (and pimp 3 Vita games).

Branduil

I think the reason Attack on Titan is so popular is because it has a really great hook and world concept that appeals to lots of people. It certainly doesn't consistently deliver on that premise, but the point is, if you get people invested in your story early, it's pretty easy to keep them strung along, regardless of the overall quality of your storytelling.

The reason Flowers of Evil can never be popular like that is because its hook isn't intriguing to the average potential anime watcher in the same way. "A repressed pervert middle-schooler who likes Baudelaire gets involved with a sadistic girl" isn't interesting to most people in the same way that "There are giants who eat people and humanity lives inside giant walls and fights them with spiderman gear" is. The average person also doesn't care about the director of a show or how good he is at maintaining atmosphere. There might be a lot of people who would like FoE if they gave it a chance; the problem is that most won't ever give it a chance because the show lost them long before then.

It also helps that AoT has a ton more media exposure than something like FoE ever would. Of course, it should be noted that AoT didn't start out as a huge property; it was initially rejected by Shounen Jump after all.

jbug617

Banned
Silver Spoon 10

Amazing episode. I had the right idea on what Hachiken was going to do with money but
I thought Pork Bowl would be alive.

zeroshiki

I think the reason Attack on Titan is so popular is because it has a really great hook and world concept that appeals to lots of people. It certainly doesn't consistently deliver on that premise, but the point is, if you get people invested in your story early, it's pretty easy to keep them strung along, regardless of the overall quality of your storytelling.

The reason Flowers of Evil can never be popular like that is because its hook isn't intriguing to the average potential anime watcher in the same way. "A repressed pervert middle-schooler who likes Baudelaire gets involved with a sadistic girl" isn't interesting to most people in the same way that "There are giants who eat people and humanity lives inside giant walls and fights them with spiderman gear" is. The average person also doesn't care about the director of a show or how good he is at maintaining atmosphere. There might be a lot of people who would like FoE if they gave it a chance; the problem is that most won't ever give it a chance because the show lost them long before then.

It also helps that AoT has a ton more media exposure than something like FoE ever would. Of course, it should be noted that AoT didn't start out as a huge property; it was initially rejected by Shounen Jump after all.

Aku no Hana also has really ugly designs and derp looking characters. That might be what it was going for (I don't know) but you can't deny that the look turns alot of people off.

Dresden

They didn't think it was a good fit for the magazine, but once it started getting pubbed elsewhere, the hype train left the station fast for Titan.

And yeah, that great hook and concept does wonders, wonky art or not. Its success is remarkable.

I don't see what's wrong with liking attack on titan, I've only seen the first 4 episode or so and enjoyed myself more then I expected, but that just me I already really liked the manga before the anime existed.

Well, a lot of people enjoyed the first 4 or 5 episodes. It's only after that the pacing goes to shit and the production values hit rock bottom.

Hattori

Banned
Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge

Well in typical Hunter x Hunter fashion that was pretty dark and twisted.
, Retz' backstory reminded me of Nina Tucker from FMA ;_;
Overall, it's a very enjoyable movie.

Branduil

The main characters didn't look like the Titans. People like AoT for Elen or Rival and not for the Titans.

I think that fanbase came later(especially since Levi isn't an important character in the first several volumes). It gained popularity because of its action/horror trappings, the fujoshi just latched onto the next big thing.

Branduil

Aku no Hana also has really ugly designs and derp looking characters. That might be what it was going for (I don't know) but you can't deny that the look turns alot of people off.

The rotoscoping certainly turned off a ton of people(including me, which is why I haven't finished it).

Uchouten Kazoku 3

There was nude Benten on a whale. Clearly the highlight of the episode.

Seems to be family fueds everywhere, guess our lead just needs to really be like his dad who apparently is the greetest.

Maybe the style of backgrounds are fitting with these characters of legends roaming about?

Narag

Strike Witches 1

IyogWIO.jpg
IyogWIO.jpg
IyogWIO.jpg

Ass shot. Crotch shot. Ass shot. Intentions laid bare from the outset.

IyogWIO.jpg

It's like it's an alternate timeline where pants were never invented.

This is going to be one of those things where I like the concept far more than the execution. Tails/ears using magic is heavenly though. Hadn't realized it was a period piece and effectively a magical girl show either as I figured they were all robots or some shit. I'm still inclined to believe so given dat Gonzo CG magic

Did like that scene with Sakamoto attempting to sell Yoshika on the joy of flight though.

Hunter X Hunter (2011) - Episodes 49-56

I don't have much to say except that the Phantom people are really powerful. I still can't believe that they just
take down people like their nothing. I think even one scene had them kill over 2,000 people, and the other with Uvo killing an army's worth.

Also about Nobunaga, at first I felt sorry for him but now
I hope he gets killed soon. He killed that dog guy and I got emotional when i saw that happen (which that's actually a good feat considering the last time I got emotional was during Angel Beats a long time ago).

How come nobody warned me that Hunter X Hunter would give me the feels ;_;

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
tStella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu/Stella Women's Academy Episode 11: Well, we have reached the penultimate episode and I am bit torn on how I feel about this one, one the one hand this was a rather resonant showcase of how shockingly good the characters and the chracter relationships and interactions have gotten and indeed nice to see them reach the predicted state in a fairly naturalistic fashion, it was still a might tedious to watch because so few people were proactive about the situation.
Also, as expected the reality marble returns in quite frankly the dullest way possible, I mean, really, did she need a samurai ghost tell her she needed to find validation in the self? Then again, I still wonder how extensive these powers are, I mean we are told she has the power to reshape the universe, though thankfully no cheap ass Mai-Hime Deus Ex Machina reset buttons were pushed. I do wonder if Yura was actually that cat, I think she was. Also, nice to see Rin actually acting like a human being for once, though for fuck's sake, very obvious their Sonora developed some romantic feelings for Yura and I wonder if feelings will be confessed, coded or otherwise. It has been a strange banner year for anime lesbians, or at least it seems to be that way. All and all, I am looking forward to seeing how this series ends itself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Strike Witches 1

This is going to be one of those things where I like the concept far more than the execution. Tails/ears using magic is heavenly though. Hadn't realized it was a period piece and effectively a magical girl show either as I figured they were all robots or some shit. I'm still inclined to believe so given dat Gonzo CG magic

Did like that scene with Sakamoto attempting to sell Yoshika on the joy of flight though.

What destruction has duckroll wrought on us poor anime watchers?!

Cwarrior

The main characters didn't look like the Titans. People like AoT for Elen or Rival and not for the Titans.

If you look at the main attraction most fan art,cosplay and most of all the show advertisement feature the titans not eren,rival,mikasa or armin.

Attack on titan was huge manga hit long before the anime, the main attraction is humanity dreaded fight for survival against those freaky looking titans not the characters, it's all with in the premise and it manages to hook people with it's opening early chapters/episodes, despite where it goes after it's already captured viewers time and attention.

Strike Witches 1

Stick it to google man

Hattori

Banned
Hunter X Hunter (2011) - Episodes 49-56

I don't have much to say except that the Phantom people are really powerful. I still can't believe that they just
take down people like their nothing. I think even one scene had them kill over 2,000 people, and the other with Uvo killing an army's worth.

Also about Nobunaga, at first I felt sorry for him but now
I hope he gets killed soon. He killed that dog guy and I got emotional when i saw that happen (which that's actually a good feat considering the last time I got emotional was during Angel Beats a long time ago).

How come nobody warned me that Hunter X Hunter would give me the feels ;_;

Hunter x Hunter is pretty damn ruthless, I'm now wary about getting attached to any of the characters for this reason x(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom