• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimi no Iru Machi 10

Hmmm they're combining chapters from when Rin first visited Hiroshima along with the 2nd time she visits. The best thing about the episode is seeing the Hiroshima crew and hearing their voices. Whenever they flashback, it's a reminder of how this series should've started from when Yuzuki was in Hiroshima as opposed to Tokyo. Also, I wonder why they went with such dark colors for this show. Two episodes left.

Shin Sekai Yori 1-25

I watched this series because the premise sounded intriguing and it was recommended for those who want something similar to Attack on Titan where humanity is fighting against overwhelming odds trying to survive. I can safely say that you can't really recommend this to someone looking for a show similar to Attack on Titan. I thought the show was an ok watch but was disappointed because it spend so much time on the monster rats. The mysteries proposed at the beginning were intriguing but answered quickly enough. The best parts of the show were the latter episodes when they were on the run from the ogre. Not sure what I expected from the show but it certainly wasn't a ton of monster rats. My favorite thing about the show is how they would incorporate the opening instrumental into each episode instead of having a standard opening -- and how the episode title doesn't necessarily appear at the beginning.

Strike Witches S1
Overall, it was an okay show. The battle scenes were decent. The final battle was pretty cool, but the story was predictable and the fanservice is still weird. That last cliffhanger was interesting though. I still think Lynne is the best followed by Shirley and then Lucchini.

Now I think I'll work on finishing Nichijou before I finish this series

Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods

You know what's cool about this movie? Seeing Vegeta bow down like a bitch....

That and I had trouble telling who Videl was for a while until she got shot. Never forget a god's pudding, or he'll kill everything!

SSG looks dumb, and I wonder if animation will get to the point that I won't feel dizzy from the camera. Fun watch.

YOU HAVE NO HEART
She can't compete when the remaining ones are just so much better.
animeepisodetitle.jpg
Do you have those slices of pictures/infos for those kind of situation all neat in a folder ? You're always surprise me with how fast you react to some sily things at times.

Lurky

Love Lab 7

Not much to say about this episode. It's just an episode about them hanging out at Riko's place. The brother gets a little extra screen time and that's about it. Oh and Suzu was extra cute.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 6

Best part was when Masaru was all "Yeah, she's pretty ugly", and Kimura was all "No way, she's totally not ugly", and Masaru was all "What are you talking about? You're the one who told her that". That dagger, right in the gut. Truth bomb by Masaru. Anyway, Kimura needs to grow a pair and learn to tell SOS to eat a giant bag of dicks. Until then, Marina shouldn't bother with his pussy ass.

Onpu was kinda right, though. They can't just go around solving everything with magic, because sometimes you can't, and sometimes the problem just doesn't concern you and you need to just let people solve their own problems themselves.

I'm currently watching: Dangan Ronpa and Gatchaman Crowds

Dangan Ronpa has a low budget. Apparently it sucks if you compare it to the game, but I actually like the show.

Gatchaman Crowds has/had an insufferable main character but the plot itself seems interesting. A very optimistic view of the power of social media. I think... for now

I also watched the movie: The Garden of Words.

So should I just say screw it and watch Danganronpa or continue to hold out for the English release of the game
or mod my PSP and import the Japanese version with the English patch

So should I just say screw it and watch Danganronpa or continue to hold out for the English release of the game

Hold out or play the patched version. DO NOT watch the anime under any circumstances unless you really want to AFTER you finish the game.

If you watch the anime before playing the game it pretty much ruins all of the cases since you would know the culprit, plus it's a pretty lazy adaptation overall and I'm personally only keeping at it because Miyukichi's in it.

Ojamajo Doremi # 6

Best part was when Masaru was all "Yeah, she's pretty ugly", and Kimura was all "No way, she's totally not ugly", and Masaru was all "What are you talking about? You're the one who told her that". That dagger, right in the gut. Truth bomb by Masaru. Anyway, Kimura needs to grow a pair and learn to tell SOS to eat a giant bag of dicks. Until then, Marina shouldn't bother with his pussy ass.

Onpu was kinda right, though. They can't just go around solving everything with magic, because sometimes you can't, and sometimes the problem just doesn't concern you and you need to just let people solve their own problems themselves.

Onpu knows how the franchise works. Props for that.

If you watch the anime before playing the game it pretty much ruins all of the cases since you would know the culprit, plus it's a pretty lazy adaptation overall and I'm personally only keeping at it because Miyukichi's in it.

Well... fuck :(

I am the kind of person who enjoys replaying the Phoenix Wright games. Will I be ok if I play Dangan Ronpa after watching the anime?

Hold out or play the patched version. DO NOT watch the anime under any circumstances unless you really want to AFTER you finish the game.

That's what I was planning on but I've heard a lot of positive hype recently for the anime so I wanted to check back now that it's close to being over.

You should buy NISA's release and support the localization of niche adventure games.

I don't currently own a Vita though if I do plan to get one sometime in the future. Whenever I get one I'll get Danganronpa

Lurky

Love Lab 8

Holy crap this episode was terrific! Girly Riko is super cute and super annoying at the same time. Everybody except for Eno got a chance to shine. But who cares since Eno is hot? I sorta saw that coming at the end but didn't expect it to happen so easily.

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 01-06

Holy shit. I was expecting cuteness and post-modern comedy at the expense of magical girl anime, but not the best goddamn 2D sakuga I've seen all season, if not all year.

The rest of you fuckers who haven't seen this yet had better marathon this before Fall starts.

dropbox folder + search
Oh same as me then.

I'm currently watching: Dangan Ronpa and Gatchaman Crowds

Dangan Ronpa has a low budget. Apparently it sucks if you compare it to the game, but I actually like the show.
Low budget would be praise for the anime... VERY LOW budget is more accurate.. Couldn't believe it when they ripped psp assets for the anime.

DO NOT WATCH the anime.. the whole appeal of the game is his plot and characters and the anime ruins that because it will reveal the main plot. If you plan to watch the anime wait after you've played the game.... seriously

That's what I was planning on but I've heard a lot of positive hype recently for the anime so I wanted to check back now that it's close to being over.

Episode being less a mess than usual isn't a praise.There is also another reason why it's better but it would be a spoiler....anyway .."barely average" shouldn't be praised ...

Narag

Aura Battler Dunbine 9

Man, I've missed this show. I think Sho is over his malaise and it's still a good balance of mecha and fantasy stuff! Escaping the Tempest had some sweet ass effects animation on top of it all.

Where are you hearing positive hype? The best I've seen is cnet just saying it's not as awful as it was, though it's still a terrible, lazy adaptation.

Where are you hearing positive hype? The best I've seen is cnet just saying it's not as awful as it was, though it's still a terrible, lazy adaptation.

As R_Thanatos said above, I was taking comments that said it was "getting better" to mean "it's good" instead of "it's not complete shit" :X

Phi Brain 6

I'm glad we introduced a subplot that lasted a whopping one episode -.- it wasn't even used that well, just an excuse for the first puzzle to be a trap for Galileo to fall into so Kaito would have to solve the second one without him.

What makes it a terrible lazy adaption exactly? Besides ripping PSP assets. Like I heard it was really faithful with the plot.

They kept most of the main plot points intact but they did cut corners in some places regarding the clues, the mysteries and stuff . As i said before , things happens and the clash of characters ( in their character develloppement ) is also what made the game so good.Before i dropped this anime with the power of a thousands suns none of it was respected.

Sure the acting and some characters are really good and stand on their own but that can't make me forget how shallow the whole thing became when they started to ignore plenty of details to simplify things and as a result they dropped one of the appeal of the game: the diverse casting of character and how they interract with each other.
Solving those parts by the main character acting as a narrator and just saying "it happenned" and Hop they skipped lots of things..they really kept only the bare minimum.

if you can't care about the characters ( or only so much ) why would you care about what will happen to them ? Game to anime adaptation failure.

What makes it a terrible lazy adaption exactly? Besides ripping PSP assets. Like I heard it was really faithful with the plot.

The thing is the overarching plot isn't the only thing that's so appealing about it. Just like in Phoenix Wright, there are plenty of red herrings, minor clues, and other stuff to add tension and make the mystery more compelling. A ton of that is completely cut out, leading to some conclusions making no sense at all because we're given no context.

It's really just so much more compelling to play through the mysteries on your own, and not just because of stuff that got cut out, but also because the game mechanics are legitimately good and add a ton of tension to each revelation. Machinegun Talk Battles alone are worth playing the game before watching the anime.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 7

They really do need to avoid using magic when taking care of Hana-chan, don't they? Cause she'll just make things a whole lot worse. What was Aiko thinking during the sleeping test? "Go to sleep, Hana! Go to sleep!" Yelling at her to fall asleep, seriously, what were you thinking? How could that possibly work?

Oh hey it's those phones from the middle interlude thingy. I was wondering about those.

Narag

Dog Days 7

UfAie1zl.png

Biscotti showed Cinque her "secret place" this episode. welp

3UaN0qll.jpg

FsMFARbl.jpg

lBPT67Ol.jpg

Forgot about the weird awesome art shifts that pop up in this.
Here's how she normally looks for comparison:
HdhFww7l.jpg

Another show I want to get back to. As usual, it's remarkably pleasant. Looks like more war games coming up and it's hilarious the great bet for each others revered weapons is only for 60 days.

Dog Days 7

Another show I want to get back to. As usual, it's remarkably pleasant. Looks like more war games coming up and it's hilarious the great bet for each others revered weapons is only for 60 days.

I need that S3 so I can get more Yukikaze tail all up in me.

The thing is the overarching plot isn't the only thing that's so appealing about it. Just like in Phoenix Wright, there are plenty of red herrings, minor clues, and other stuff to add tension and make the mystery more compelling. A ton of that is completely cut out, leading to some conclusions making no sense at all because we're given no context.

It's really just so much more compelling to play through the mysteries on your own, and not just because of stuff that got cut out, but also because the game mechanics are legitimately good and add a ton of tension to each revelation. Machinegun Talk Battles alone are worth playing the game before watching the anime.

I haven't yet seen a conclusion that made no sense at all. But that sucks if they had to cut out a ton of character development. Still I find the main plot interesting enough.

Anyway I can't reverse time so I watched the anime before playing the game. If I am the kind of person who can replay the Phoenix Wright games yearly and still find them enjoyable, will I enjoy Dangan Ronpa The Game even after watching the anime?

I haven't yet seen a conclusion that made no sense at all. But that sucks if they had to cut out a ton of character development. Still I find the main plot interesting enough.

Anyway I can't reverse time so I watched the anime before playing the game. If I am the kind of person who can replay the Phoenix Wright games yearly and still find them enjoyable, will I enjoy Dangan Ronpa The Game even after watching the anime?
Probably then.
Some things have way much impact in the game because you've spent more time with them , because you talked with them.

hxh 96

weird... spiders now? cool fights... but i don't want this...
It's just a nice story on the side about awesome characters doing awesome stuff.

I need that S3 so I can get more Yukikaze tail all up in me.
You got it !
Brofist.gif

illya 10

wut wut? some mcguffin ultimate tag team finisher bullshit there....

will watch another season i guess.

Actually i don't think that this was bullsh*t for 2 reasons:
-The 2 wands are meant to work together.
-They made a reality marble with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who hasn't played the game or anything, I don't necessarily hate the show.

Then again, after Persona 4 and DeSu2, as long as your show isn't total shit as an adaptation, I'm not likely to get offended.

As someone who hasn't played the game or anything, I don't necessarily hate the show.

Then again, after Persona 4 and DeSu2, as long as your show isn't total shit as an adaptation, I'm not likely to get offended.

It is shit as an adaptation. It's just got a fantastic source material, which is why people can still enjoy it when they know nothing of the game.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 8

That lullaby gets me every time.

Again though, this series is suffering from a similar problem as the original: not enough Pop.

One thing I like is how the transformation sequences aren't done entirely against a generic background; when they start up, the background is just wherever they are. I think that's a nice touch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is shit as an adaptation. It's just got a fantastic source material, which is why people can still enjoy it when they know nothing of the game.
Persona 4 had twice the episode length and also fairly good source material and it's barely watchable. I just can't imagine it's worse than Danganronpa.

Persona 4 had twice the episode length and also fairly good source material and it's barely watchable. I just can't imagine it's worse than Danganronpa.

The P4 anime was actually an interesting take on the source material, with certain concepts expanded on and stuff.

Danganronpa is essentially a straight adaptation with assets lifted straight from the game and stuff cut out. It's the laziest anime adaptation I can think of.

Well i disagree

Persona 4 had plenty of problem but at his core was alright ... It was a rpg to adapt after all so you can't please everyone , even then they tried to fit all the little touches as much as possible in the anime. As an adaptation it wasn't perfect but it was at worse "ok".

Danganronpa ? They aren't even at this level. i honnestly couldn't think of them trying to match the game in anyway..The pacing is all over the place and you feel like they are rushing to reach the end.
They were plenty of way to adapt the non stop debates, heck the solutions should have been handled better.IMO they totally missed the change of material from game to anime and thought that they could rely on gameplay strenghts without knowing what those strenghts are.

For me it's the lowest of the low.This isn't even the case of a missed opportunity or ( in DESU 2 case , a bad merging a boring route ) ..it's just lazy

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The P4 anime was actually an interesting take on the source material, with certain concepts expanded on and stuff.

Danganronpa is essentially a straight adaptation with assets lifted straight from the game and stuff cut out. It's the laziest anime adaptation I can think of.
The only thing really original that came out of the P4 anime is that the non-party characters actually interacted with the rest of the cast and the one Nanako episode. Otherwise, it was a jokey adaptation that somehow both purposefully and inadvertently shat on the source material.

I suppose it's not fair because P4 is probably one of my favourite games of all time and whatever, but what can ya do. :p

Branduil

Rozen Maiden 11

Really good episode.
Kirakishou was a pitiable creature at the end. And of course Suigintou can't help but be cruel to her sisters.
Not sure what they'll do with the remaining two episodes, but I hope at least
we get to see the end of the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom