• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 5: Yes, I think this episode more then any other thus far really showcases the layers and depth that this series is capable of. Indeed it is nothing short of magnificent the way it turns a local rebellion headed by a reject from the Roman Empire and turns every move, every step into a game of eleven dimensional hyper chess among at least three or four very powerful factions. Indeed these are the high political machinations that even the likes of Game of Thrones would have a hard time pull off with clarity. and indeed I do see why this is considered to be the secret best anime series ever produced.

Hope you'll stick with the show. I'll never forget it.

Aria the Animation (Rewatch) Ep. 1 - 3

Oh God, this show.....it's so....so pure. Can't look directly at it.

ig5wULgohy2W4.png

Why can't I hold all these defibrillators?

Have mercy on my soul....please

ЯAW;82142661 said:
Decided to give one piece a chance. It was terrible. On side note I did find out about psycho-pass and it seems kinda good. Only three episodes down but I think it has interesting setting and I do like the art style.

One Piece has pretty slow start though but yeah if you hated it that much you probably won't like it. To me by far the best long running shonen.

cnet128

Banned
Don't worry about the rapiness, I'm sure it will be adorable. :/

10/10, would read again.

Am I the only one who don't care about GTA? Everyone and their dog is going bonkers

If ain't Anime...

I couldn't care less about GTA. Then again, I could say the same about a lot of Western games. My tastes have always been skewed fairly heavily towards the Japanese end of the gaming spectrum.

ЯAW;82142661 said:
Decided to give one piece a chance. It was terrible.

This is a bad opinion and you should feel bad. I do wonder how much of a chance (ie. how many episodes) you gave it, and what exactly you thought was terrible about it, though. Much as I like the early arcs, the series does start out a little slow and its style can take some getting used to. (I remember even I wasn't that impressed by it the first time I tried it out.) I think a lot of people don't really get hooked by it until around the Arlong Park arc (episodes 31-45), which is pretty much universally agreed to be the first of the series' big highlights.

There are other legitimate issues with the anime, but generally they don't come up until late in the series and can be solved by just switching over to the manga, which doesn't suffer from the decline in pacing.

ЯAW;82142661 said:
On side note I did find out about psycho-pass and it seems kinda good. Only three episodes down but I think it has interesting setting and I do like the art style.

Also not the greatest of opinions, but just three episodes in I can't really blame you. Psycho-Pass started out really quite promising, but it didn't deliver on that promise as effectively as one might hope. It still has some really nice moments here and there, but the series drags a bit and plays things a little too safe to ever be truly engaging.

The Yes Cures are surprisingly well developed considering how many major characters that show has. They really managed to balance everything quite well in that series.

I like the Mana and Aguri becoming friends part here, and I'm assuming (and hoping) that the next few episodes will be Aguri/cast bonding time. It's always nice to see callbacks to previous episodes as well, like Diamond shouting at Ira.
They still keep failing to bring up the fact that the Swallow dies at the end of The Happy Prince, though.

That's because the Swallow isn't Mana, that's why.

Tenumi

Banned
Revolutionary Girl Utena: 09

...Well, that was a deep episode. Backstory, character development, the works. This show is so... intriguing.

Cwarrior

k I have the gist of what he does :)

what other notable toei animators are there?

Masahiro shimanuki Part 2

Kazuya Hisada

Takeo Ide

Naoki tate

Yoshikazu tomita part 2

Ryo onoshi

Yamamuro Tadayoshi(current animation director for every dbz movie post fusion reborn including battle of the gods, also one of akira toriyama's clones )

There plenty other like Katsumi ishizuka,Eisaku inoue,Yukihiro Urata, Naohiro Shintani,Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru,Megumi Yamashita,Shuuichi Ito,Yuki Hayashi and Hideaki naniwa, that don't have a sakuga mad made of there work yet or was already taken down by toei.

These are notable ones that I can think of right now that are active today working at toei in-house, most studios hire a freelance animators but toei has pool of veterns & up comers they can rely on.

I'll post some gifs of the some of the ones without a youtube animation video, be warned spoilers.

Katsumi ishizuka 2 3

Yukihiro Urata 2

Naohiro Shintani

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru (veteran animator also another one of toriyama clones also works with toriyama on the mangas at bird studio, character designer and creator of super sayian 4 transformation).

faridmon

One piece is not consistent in its story progression and Production value, since there are some amazing arcs such such Alabasta and water 7 and there is some shitty ones such as Skypia and Fisherman Island. If you can get past the shitty ones, then its very enjoyable. I tend to marathon the series ever 2 years or so so I can forward skip the shitty ones, but god, is the Fisherman such a shitty arc.

Chihayafuru 2 alone makes that season better than this.

Love Lab is the only one I have liked so far, although Hunter x Hunter have been amazing but it was a continuation.

Theonik

Strike Witches 06
See, I just can't put Shirley x Barkhorn over Sanya x Eila as my OTP. To do so would be folly.
This was a really lovely episode. Seeing Eila being jealous of Miyafuji was really cute as was Sanya's and Eila's argument. That and Hartman playing the role of the mature role model to Sanya. lol Also after hats this episode features cute coats!
With regards to bad AIC CG this episode sorta delivered in the wrong way though. I should say however that at least they didn't do the horrible CG backgrounds Gonzo tried to pull yet.
A near non-existent amount of [REDACTED] save for some cleansing and relaxation scenes. Some nice legs though.
For butts and more: http://theonik.minus.com/mblCR39SnL9QL1

One piece is not consistent in its story progression and Production value, since there are some amazing arcs such such Alabasta and water 7 and there is some shitty ones such as Skypia and Fisherman Island. If you can get past the shitty ones, then its very enjoyable. I tend to marathon the series ever 2 years or so so I can forward skip the shitty ones, but god, is the Fisherman such a shitty arc.

This Punk Hazard arc has been pretty boring so far too. The anime goes so fucking slooooow. The pace is horrible at the moment. I know that it has been forever one chapter per episode but for some reason it feels even slower nowadays. Oda had too much work with the movie and the chapters are even shorter than before so the anime suffers?

faridmon

Love Lab is my show of the season and tbh thats speaks more about the quality of this season than Love Lab.

I still think Love Lab would compete with many other good shows in the previous seasons. The Humour is spot on and have laughed much more than I did in a long time (Since Daily Life of High School Boys) not to mention its continues and doesn't rely on sket-like programme (bar the last shitty episode)

Strike Witches 06

See, I just can't put Shirley x Barkhorn over Sanya x Eila as my OTP. To do so would be folly.
This was a really lovely episode. Seeing Eila being jealous of Miyafuji was really cute as was Sanya's and Eila's argument. That and Hartman playing the role of the mature role model to Sanya. lol
With regards to bad AIC CG this episode sorta delivered in the wrong way though. I should say however that at least they didn't do the horrible CG backgrounds Gonzo tried to pull yet.
A near non-existent amount of [REDACTED] save for some cleansing and relaxation scenes. Some nice legs though.
For butts and more: http://theonik.minus.com/mblCR39SnL9QL1

While TrudexShirley is super duper, Eila and Sanya are definitely my favorite pairing. So much so that they share the same image folder in my SW collection. Also WATCH 7 IMMEDIATELY.

faridmon

This Punk Hazard arc has been pretty boring so far too. The anime goes so fucking slooooow. The pace is horrible at the moment. I know that it has been forever one chapter per episode but for some reason it feels even slower nowadays. Oda had too much work with the movie and the chapters are even shorter than before so the anime suffers?

Yeah, the pace is bloody atrocious and the one who planned this out should be fired immediately, but I do think its deliberate. They are trying to prolong their successful show as much as they can, because why not, the same amount of people will still watch it regardless of the Episode count, therefore it would be cheaper and more profitable if the pace was set at a snail pace

The last few Episode of that arc is amazing though and almost excuses for the whole thing. I'll just say Zoro is fucking immense.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also winter was when Puchimas was on. Every (week) day was anime day! YAY!*

*This may have sucked for those who hate gifs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shane Bettenhausen, well known inventor and proponent of the phrase "secret best".

Ah yes, I recall that now, and yet I think the term applies well here since Legend of the Galactic Heroes is both very good and also always going to be highly obscure.

I'd say this season is a good one for me just based on Servant x Service and Genshiken Nidaime. Still getting caught up on Majestic Prince which is turning out better than I expected.

cnet128

Banned
Summer has been the worst season for anime this year.

And by worst you mean best.

Ridiculously Good Tier
Monogatari SS
Uchouten Kazoku
Gatchaman Crowds
Servant x Service
(Hunter x Hunter)

Great Tier
Love Lab
Silver Spoon
Stella C3-bu
Kami no Inai Nichiyoubi

Good Tier
Watamote
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Symphogear G

Not Half Bad Tier
Free!
Inu to Hasami
Blood Lad
Shingeki no Kyojin

All Right Tier
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Fantasista Doll
Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou

Shit Tier
Danganronpa

Even if you only look at the very top tier, I think those four alone make this season better than most in recent memory. I can't think of many seasons with four shows I can unequivocally call absolute top-tier stuff. (Five if you count Hunter x Hunter, which is always excellent but is getting into some particularly good material lately.)

But even outside of those four top shows, I think the overall level of quality this season has been remarkably high. I can't think of one show on that list that hasn't kept me well entertained in one way or another, and there are an awful lot of shows on that list. Even Danganronpa has been entertaining on a hatewatch level (and hatewatching isn't something I usually go in for). There have been a lot of pleasant surprises (I don't think anyone was expecting Love Lab to turn out as well as it did, Symphogear has been a real improvement over the first series, and I went into the season with hardly any expectations for Servant x Service or Kaminai yet both turned out really nicely), and even the disappointments have had their silver linings (Futari wa Milky Holmes inexplicably threw out almost everything that made the series great, but still managed to be pretty entertaining for what it was, and the aforementioned Danganronpa hatewatch was a surprising bonus when that show failed utterly to meet expectations - plus hey, at least it solved the problem of whether to recommend the game or the anime to newcomers!).

The only real negative of this season is that not enough people seem to have been watching Kaminai. Which is a shame, because I feel like that series would been one of the more conducive to interesting discussion if there were more people actually discussing it.

(Also, though it's not on my list, I get the impression the new Rozen Maiden is supposed to be quite good. Can't speak for that myself since I'm not one to jump into a franchise midway, recap or no recap.)

In my mind, Diabolik Lovers is going to be an elaborate work of crossover fanfiction between The Vampire Lovers and Danger Diabolik. Please, no one tell me this isn't true.

Based off the synopsis, Diabolik Lovers sounds is basically a vampire version of Brothers Conflict, just probably without all the angst over dating my not blood related sister.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, this Summer season has been alright, there was so much stuff that I could not get around to all of it, which is not usual for a Summer season.

Every season so far has had it's share of great/decent and super awful shows, but Spring is definitely my favorite because of Henneko, Thighura, Gargantia, Date A Live and the last GuP episodes.

I like the Mana and Aguri becoming friends part here, and I'm assuming (and hoping) that the next few episodes will be Aguri/cast bonding time. It's always nice to see callbacks to previous episodes as well, like Diamond shouting at Ira.
They still keep failing to bring up the fact that the Swallow dies at the end of The Happy Prince, though.

Requoting this

The reason why no one brings up that the Swallow dies at the end is because no one has been compared to the swallow. I think they don't bring up the end of that book because it is going to be represented with someone being the equivalent of the Swallow to finish the story off.

I mean ep 32 isn't the first time Mana is compared to the Happy Prince. It clearly holds some amount of significance to how things will unfold.
10 dollars on Regina being the swallow ._.

Fat/Ilya END

That ended all much faster than I expected. Miyu
goes yandere yuri, Ilya goes full brocon.

Season 2 get!

Railgun 20-22

I thought that revelation about the
artificial loli would be more meaningful to Railgun. The sisters arc was all about her guilt towards her clones, I thought this would give her flashbacks of something.

Only in Japan would the first artificial human be a Loli with a lollipop.

Jex

Summer has been the worst season for anime this year.

Even if you feel that way, and I certainly don't, I still that even compared to other Summer's it's been pretty good. There's a fairly wide breadth and depth of programs to enjoy and a number of good, if not great, titles. We've had far, far worse Summers.

Midonin

Dog & Scissors
The Dog Eat Dog World of Publishing

"When it comes to sweets, leave it to Maxi!" - Joke I haven't been able to slot in anywhere and has a very small crossover audience.

I fancy myself a writer. It's not a very large fancy, with only one book to my name, but the idea of libraries, authors and the written word being used as the basis for a story has the potential to be both meta and entertaining. While the red-and-black color scheme of this one left me slightly uncertain what direction it was going to go, by the end of it, this series turned out above my expectations.

Having the hero turn into a dog is something you don't see every day. Kazu's as snarky as anyone else, and him being a dog would preclude him from being at the center of any harem situations... you'd think. But this isn't really a story about love, it's about books. The mysteries were kind of anticlimactic, in that Nyarko-esque way, but the series itself had more of a Kamen no Maid Guy vibe to it. Everyone is exaggerated and as long as the universe plays by its own rules, anything can happen.

Really, the thing turned into a battle series about books so gradually I didn't even notice. It finally slapped me upside the head the moment Madoka pulled out her talking chainsaw blaster. I knew then the series had abandoned any pretense of groundedness and was just going its own way. It was wonderful. That's the kind of thing I associate with anime comedy - seemingly random, but actually with some sort of sense behind it. That sense usually being puns.

The characters were all strongly stuck in their archetypes, but there's enough of a gap that they feel a least a little more rounded. Madoka gets her non-stalker moments, Derehime gets hers, and Hami and Suzuna both have their own machinations behind the scenes. Then there's episodes like the one with Yayoi. The series can get heartwarming and adorable when it wants. Though it usually opted for sadism and violent slapstick - which I'm also fine with.

I really wish Maxi and especially Momiji had gotten more screentime. Momiji never even got a voice actress until late in the series' run, and when she did, Ai Kayano probably had to record about five lines and a character song for the whole series. Plus, Maxi gives me a chance to see Yuu Serizawa playing someone other than An. And I never even knew I wanted to see her do that.

The OP was the very first one I saw for the season, and also one of my favorites. The visuals and music were a little chaotic, but it had a pretty catchy melody. The ED was alright, but there may be other songs on the Maxi Mini Album I like more... if I ever get it. Music's tough to find for this show. (It's Inukko Club. Alternate kanji readings are important.)

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, but I'm aware this series never made much of splash. I'd love to read the spinoff novels included with the BDs, but the odds of those getting translated are even less likely. It was always unpredictable and zany, and sometimes, that's all I'm looking for.

The three authors are really intriguing. I'd want a second season just to know more about Maxi and Momiji. And the singing maid.

Final Thoughts: In spite of a few fleas, one of the underdogs of the season. A nice mixture of mysteries and mental instability, and the love of books in the series feels real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom