• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you feel that way, and I certainly don't, I still that even compared to other Summer's it's been pretty good. There's a fairly wide breadth and depth of programs to enjoy and a number of good, if not great, titles. We've had far, far worse Summers.

Good thing is I watch the least anime during Summer so maybe theres a reason.

And by worst you mean best.

Ridiculously Good Tier
Monogatari SS
Uchouten Kazoku
Gatchaman Crowds
Servant x Service
(Hunter x Hunter)

Great Tier
Love Lab
Silver Spoon
Stella C3-bu
Kami no Inai Nichiyoubi

Good Tier
Watamote
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Symphogear G

Not Half Bad Tier
Free!
Inu to Hasami
Blood Lad
Shingeki no Kyojin

All Right Tier
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Fantasista Doll
Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou

Shit Tier
Danganronpa

Even if you only look at the very top tier, I think those four alone make this season better than most in recent memory. I can't think of many seasons with four shows I can unequivocally call absolute top-tier stuff. (Five if you count Hunter x Hunter, which is always excellent but is getting into some particularly good material lately.)

But even outside of those four top shows, I think the overall level of quality this season has been remarkably high. I can't think of one show on that list that hasn't kept me well entertained in one way or another, and there are an awful lot of shows on that list. Even Danganronpa has been entertaining on a hatewatch level (and hatewatching isn't something I usually go in for). There have been a lot of pleasant surprises (I don't think anyone was expecting Love Lab to turn out as well as it did, Symphogear has been a real improvement over the first series, and I went into the season with hardly any expectations for Servant x Service or Kaminai yet both turned out really nicely), and even the disappointments have had their silver linings (Futari wa Milky Holmes inexplicably threw out almost everything that made the series great, but still managed to be pretty entertaining for what it was, and the aforementioned Danganronpa hatewatch was a surprising bonus when that show failed utterly to meet expectations - plus hey, at least it solved the problem of whether to recommend the game or the anime to newcomers!).

The only real negative of this season is that not enough people seem to have been watching Kaminai. Which is a shame, because I feel like that series would been one of the more conducive to interesting discussion if there were more people actually discussing it.

(Also, though it's not on my list, I get the impression the new Rozen Maiden is supposed to be quite good. Can't speak for that myself since I'm not one to jump into a franchise midway, recap or no recap.)

Monogatari and Gatchaman in ridiculously good tier
XEVte.jpeg

cnet128

Banned
Inu to Hasami 12 END

Well, that was certainly a...unique way to handle a final episode (or indeed any episode for that matter), but at the same time I can't think of any more fitting way to end such a zany anime.
Drunk super-dere-mode Natsuno was crazy adorable.

I can't honestly say this series left a huge impression on me or that I'll miss it particularly when it's gone, but it was certainly a hectic and lulsworthy ride while it lasted. In the unlikely event that it gets another season at some point, I'll gladly watch more, since I can see there's plenty of entertainment potential left in there (there were some characters who it seemed were waiting the whole season to get focus, but their turn never actually arrived...)

In conclusion: Yayoi is best girl. And that's a conclusion because I say it is.

I'm up to episode seven of Flowers of Evil and HOLY SHIT. What is even going on!

I think I've just seen one of the most memorable scenes in an anime I have seen, and this animation and quality....man....

---

Look at this while listening to epic music, like Circle of Life.

So good.

cajunator

Banned
If it's anything like the DVD grab bag I got from RightStuf a while back, it's probably gonna be a lot of Vol. 2 and 3's of nondescript, mid-2000's anime.

Yeah usually its a bunch of the kind of stuff you'd find at FYE now.

Aria the Animation (Rewatch) Ep. 1 - 3

Oh God, this show.....it's so....so pure. Can't look directly at it.

ig5wULgohy2W4.png

Why can't I hold all these defibrillators?

Aria is one of the ultimate feel-good animes. So relaxing. well most of the time.

Akari's "pahee!" is almost as heart attack inducing as a Sakura "UEEEEEEEEEE" or other tic.

Hmmm...actually its pretty adorable so Im going to agree.

Am I the only one who don't care about GTA? Everyone and their dog is going bonkers

If ain't Anime...

I dont care about GTA at all.

Jex

I'm up to episode seven of Flowers of Evil and HOLY SHIT. What is even going on!

I think I've just seen one of the most memorable scenes in an anime I have seen, and this animation and quality....man.....

*nods sagely* Aku no Hana is certainly one of the most important anime works in the last few years.

Metrotab

Banned

I think I've just seen one of the most memorable scenes in an anime I have seen, and this animation and quality....man....

A fantastic scene, through and through. It's where I fell in love with the series.

Love Lab - 10

This show can pretty much get away with everything for me. The cast nails the dynamic so hard.

cnet128

Banned
Hells yeah Aku no Hana Episode 7.

Shingeki no Kyojin 23

Yeah, I think they handled this pretty nicely. As everyone has already said, the laugh was the one questionable decision, but I didn't think it seemed too out of place. Probably wouldn't have bothered me at all if I hadn't known in advance that it was the adaptation taking liberties. And the added scene in the first half of the episode did a really nice job of fleshing things out.

A good episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diabolik Lovers Episode 1: Yea, I think I can call this True Blood: Brother's Conflict edition, though not quite as shit as either on this first outing. Still pretty fucking awful though, with bland characters and an annoying protagonist , I will credit the series for having the vampires act like vampires, even if they are still huge douchenozzles. I may give this another go around simply because other shit be ending and excluding Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero: Battle Spirits, the fall slate is still a few weeks away.

cajunator

Banned
Binbougami Ga! - 01

Flat-chested God > Big-chested brat anyday. Also, wasn't Sakura's hair a different colour in the manga?

Yes. and I dont know, but isnt most manga black and white? was this one colored?

Revolutionary Girl Utena: 09

...Well, that was a deep episode. Backstory, character development, the works. This show is so... intriguing.

And you havent even seen the half of it. Literally and figuratively!

I'd say this season is a good one for me just based on Servant x Service and Genshiken Nidaime. Still getting caught up on Majestic Prince which is turning out better than I expected.

It was a fun season so far surely. Ive worked a loooooot so I havent been able to enjoy it properly :(

Every season so far has had it's share of great/decent and super awful shows, but Spring is definitely my favorite because of Henneko, Thighura, Gargantia, Date A Live and the last GuP episodes.

Yes that last season was a really really good one!

santeesioux

Diabolik Lovers Episode 1: Yea, I think I can call this True Blood: Brother's Conflict edition, though not quite as shit as either on this first outing. Still pretty fucking awful though, with bland characters and an annoying protagonist , I will credit the series for having the vampires act like vampires, even if they are still huge douchenozzles. I may give this another go around simply because other shit be ending and excluding Saikyou Ginga Ultimate Zero: Battle Spirits, the fall slate is still a few weeks away.

I made it about 7 minutes before turning it off.

cajunator

Banned
Rikka is the swallow. This was made quite explicit in episode 2.

yS5021ll.jpg

One thing that bothers me about Dokidoki is how sometimes their eyes seem WAY too big. Inconsistently sized eyes are the worst.

You are dedicated to your love. I admire that.

---

Look at this while listening to epic music, like Circle of Life.

So good.

rotoscoping is such a crazy (and expensive) form of animation. It looks amazing though.
That show gave off some of the weirdest vibes ever but I liked it for that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Lab is the only one I have liked so far, although Hunter x Hunter have been amazing but it was a continuation.
Uh...I find it hard to believe this could be the only show that someone likes this season. Unless you just didn't try stuff.

Dog & Scissors
Well, its over. I enjoyed the ride though. I can't think of a better way to end the show than they did.

The World Only God Knows: S1-S3
So I marathoned the entire series over the weekend, catching up to the current episode yesterday. I got this show from a recomendation off of Hummingbird and I have to say they picked an amazing show for me. I absolutely love the series and I'm glad I was able to catch up to current episode. Even though there is only one episode left, I absolutely can't wait for it! Hopefully it gets picked up for another season because I would love to continue watching the adventures of the cast.

<3 Haqua & Elsie

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 96

Ah yes, a little break from the main action to observe the Spiders bullying feeble insects.

You almost feel sorry for the poor bugs. But not quite.

Diabolik Lovers Episode 1
tumblr_mt8qgrEoCU1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mt8qgrEoCU1qbxqfpo2_500.png

They should have made Flowers of Evil episodes 14 minutes instead of making Diabolik Lovers ones 14 minutes, I was sad. Anyway, Ayato is so far one of the best characters in otome adaptations. He easily has the best lines and personality so far (sorry Toma (Amnesa), and Liberta (okay tied for one still)) and needs even more screentime. I like how he has his outfit on too and is just having a plain old good time. Yuki Kaji being there too as Kanato was pleasing though design wise one of the least good on the cast. Probably second would be Shu but kind of old and then the other one that calls her a less than pleasing name.

Kind of mixed on Pancakes status so far, though at least she tries
though why would anyone want to get out of there, especially from Ayato? I wouldnt

Phi Brain 7

Well I figured Nonoha would get a title, just didn't expect it to be so early in the show. So will we ever get to some puzzles that will require all 5 title holders or will we continue to mostly have Kaito, Gammon, and Nonoha triangle of awkward love doing all the work?

Metrotab

Banned
AIR - 10

I have no idea what just happened.
The bird is a reincarnation into the previous timeline, parallel with the first Yukito?

Some scenes in this episode pained my heart.

Diabolik Lovers - 1

You know, I actually don't mind the concept of shows like these, as long as they come with basic story telling essentials, or don't take themselves the least bit seriously. This show has neither of these, as it's basically just a vapid method for Tomokos to get their vapid yandere fix. The worst thing about the show isn't that the show looks like something made 10 years ago, or even the 2-D protagonist. It's the 1-D harem.

As someone who just recently got back into fujoshi culture, it's saddening that almost all the products geared towards them are terrible, it's even more saddening that they are eating it all up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Diabolik Lovers - 1

You know, I actually don't mind the concept of shows like these, as long as they come with basic story telling essentials, or don't take themselves the least bit seriously. This show has neither of these, as it's basically just a vapid method for Tomokos to get their vapid yandere fix. The worst thing about the show isn't that the show looks like something made 10 years ago, or even the 2-D protagonist. It's the 1-D harem.

As someone who just recently got back into fujoshi culture, it's saddening that almost all the products geared towards them are terrible, it's even more saddening that they are eating all up.

Hey, we'll always have UtaPri. lol

Syrinx

Love Lab 5

Maki looked dashing in that boys' uniform. Damn. Still, embezzling council funds to buy a boys' uniform for your love pillow? It'd be less scandalous to use them on hookers and blow.

Phi Brain 8

This was a weird episode, it was really well written and had a great finale with the prize being the nature that the grandson was destroying for his amusement park. As Kaito himself said the puzzle was no longer a philosopher's puzzle, which is fine as it works for the story this episode was telling. But all the random POG officers following Kaito and intentionally sabotaging the bridge just to kill him doesn't fit with their MO. In the end it just served as an excuse for Ana and Nonoha to show up and save him in a scene that's never mentioned again.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Episode 24
tumblr_mt8iul4kjm1sawx0po2_250.gif
tumblr_mt8iul4kjm1sawx0po1_250.gif

Still makes it the canon ship with Genpachi. Hes been told about Shino so many times now and even saw him older forme.

Well with all but one gathered it did give me good times with them. If the anime could have been extended a few more episodes with everyone living longer together and such then I think it would be well on its way to being one of the most fun fantasy type series. Still sells me on the manga but we'll seemingly be over seven volumes behind :(
Id want to at least look up the secret Finnegan and Satomi are hiding from Shino and keep erasing/toying with his memory. What is in the past that they are protecting him from?

I prefer Ao but still that whole scene with Sosuke falling over and losing the mark was intense. How can it be resolved in the little time. Then again Ao likes to tease Shino so he'll most likely barge in for some reason.

Yeah, the pace is bloody atrocious and the one who planned this out should be fired immediately, but I do think its deliberate. They are trying to prolong their successful show as much as they can, because why not, the same amount of people will still watch it regardless of the Episode count, therefore it would be cheaper and more profitable if the pace was set at a snail pace

The last few Episode of that arc is amazing though and almost excuses for the whole thing. I'll just say Zoro is fucking immense.

It's not even a matter of prolonging the show. If they went faster, they'd be in serious risk of getting caught up with the manga, and there's not really any place they could put a filler arc in. They don't really have a whole lot of options in terms of how to proceed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dog Scissors fin
JxK5Hdwl.jpg

I don't even know what to say here. lol

8cvFQy6l.jpg

And hey, it's the money shot we've all be waiting for!

I'm not really sure what to think about this series... as a silly romcom story about a hapless guy and a tsundere girl, it's functional, but the supporting cast really makes it work. Of course, there really isn't any reason why he had to turn into a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom