• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simulcast times and territories have been revealed for Crunchyroll's triple dose of Aniplex shows.

Kill la Kill
Thursdays at 11:30 am PDT -- North America, South America, and South Africa only
(as was previously noted, Madman will be streaming the series as a same-day simulcast for Australia/NZ viewers)

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Sundays at 2:00 am PDT -- North America, South America, and South Africa only

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2
Thursdays at 10:00am PDT -- US, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland only

Oh nice Magi is simulcast right when I typically awaken. (eastern). Thursday is starting to get packed though.

cajunator

Banned
The show definitely could have used a couple more cameos. With any luck we'll have an anime based around an entirely new cast and it'll be awesome because it might have Waltrud in it. And since you mentioned the autograph picture:

GFzlUkL.jpg

I always enjoy looking at the actual archetypes. Handsome ace turns into beautiful pantsless witch, what a world.

The likeness is remarkable!

LayLa

On a side note, I hadn't realised the Edinburgh SLA tickets had gone up for sale. Skipped a couple of films but still 7 movies over 4 days
Pretty mixed bag really but Patema Inverted and Steins Gate should balance out the suffering of Eva 3.0.

watched the web prologue of Patema the other day so i'm jealous! Garden Of Words has a Q&A with the director as well i think.

i grew up in Glasgow, we never had fancy anime film festivals back then though - the closest i ever got was Akira at the GFT. had to leave early though cos my friend had dropped acid earlier on without telling me and got a bit, er, rowdy. said afterwards "i wanted to see if i could function in normal society while tripping". the daft bastard.

Articalys

The show definitely could have used a couple more cameos. With any luck we'll have an anime based around an entirely new cast and it'll be awesome because it might have Waltrud in it. And since you mentioned the autograph picture:

I always enjoy looking at the actual archetypes. Handsome ace turns into beautiful pantsless witch, what a world.
On an interesting note, Sanya is the only one of the main cast to actually be named after a real-life female fighter pilot ace, Lydia Litvyak.

Metrotab

Banned
Majestic Prince - 23

You know, in mecha shows, whenever the objective was to destroy an immobile key structure with laser shields and whatnot, I always wondered why they didn't just ram an entire mecha into it.

Newton > Planck, after all.

On an interesting note, Sanya is the only one of the main cast to actually be named after a real-life female fighter pilot ace, Lydia Litvyak.

I've always been curious what the actual pilots would have thought about their genderbended selves, though I think the only one still alive is Shirley's archetype Chuck Yeager.

Andrew J.

Majestic Prince 24 Fin

I'd say this is a solid 4/5, I knock it down for it's rather slow opening with some rather painful comedy episodes and not enough actions. The second half of the show when things really begin to pick up redeems it though. Might be time to reevaluate the 3 spring mech shows as MJP has truly but up a compelling argument.

While I agree MJP improved significantly as it went on, it still can't compete with the high quality of Gargantia or the pure bat-fuck insanity of Valvrave.

Aoi Bungaku - Kokoro 1 & 2

Since these were aired back to back, I figured I should discuss them together.

Kokoro was written by Natsume Soseki, and is Japan's best-selling novel of all time. This story was directed by Shigeyuki Miya, whose direction credits include Buzzer Beater, a sports anime I've never heard of (the synopsis says that it follows humans playing against aliens in the near future), this story, the Supernatural anime, and Blood Lad.

I'd take No Longer Human's technically brilliant slog over this tripe.

I found Kokoro to be bland and lacking in any memorable qualities, which is likely because out of all the directors who participated in Aoi Bungaku Shigeyuki Miya has the least personality and creativity, to judge from his other works. I'm no fan of Araki but at least he does something with his direction, even if it isn't conducive to good storytelling. The idea of retelling a story from a different character perspective is an interesting one, and one I'm particularly fond of, but I agree with you that this was not particularly revealing and the character writing became more illogical. It was essentially one of those "deconstructions" of classic stories whose shallow attempts to subvert the original are nothing beyond tripe. I didn't have as strong a reaction to it as you did, though, probably because the first episode didn't give me any investment in the story. If I had read the original, I might have had the same reaction I have to similar "subversive" reinterpretations of Mozart and Shakespeare.

Ah yes, the whole "let me reinterpret this work of classic literature even though I'm just an anime director" shtick. I suppose that's interesting in concept but, as you point, it really leaves a lot to be desired.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that concept; just see Gankutsuou, or indeed Run Melos from this same anthology. Just because you're an anime director (or a film director or whatever) and will never have the same stature as the author of the writing you are adapting doesn't mean you're not allowed to mess with it, it just means you have to be talented and thoughtful enough to be able to give an enlightening perspective on it. What both Gankutsuou and Nakamura's Run Melos do is to recontextualize the original in a way that respects in and makes the audience take a fresh look at it and reconsider what it means. That's what makes them successful as literary adaptations.

Articalys

I've always been curious what the actual pilots would have thought about their genderbended selves, though I think the only one still alive is Shirley's archetype Chuck Yeager.
On a similar note, I wonder how many of the bands and musicians that are referenced in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are aware of the fact.

While I agree MJP improved significantly as it went on, it still can't compete with the high quality of Gargantia or the pure bat-fuck insanity of Valvrave.

Gargantia is hardly a mech show, it's a slice of life that just happens to be about a mech pilot. Valvrave does have that bat-shit insane element to it but MJP's later fights stomp the shit out of any VVV fight. Course it'll all depend on how VVV S2 does

The reason I brought it up was that at the time VVV S1 ended MJP was still just kind of okay but the show hit the after burner once the summer started and never looked back.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 11

Eh, this episode's kinda lacking on the action, though the last few minutes tried to make up for it. Corvo, I'm kinda understanding why you dislike Tamaki. I still she's amusing but I definitely understand the grating-ness of her.

cnet128

Banned
Servant x Service 12

Why does this show have to end next week I want it to go on foreveeeeeeeeeeeer T_T

Lucy was pretty damn cute in that outfit in the end huh. Her normal clothes still suit her better, but something a little more feminine is nice once in a while. Also Hasebe is Ultimate Date Master. Stop that Hasebe you're making the rest of the world look bad.

And yeah
Hasebe's dad being the one who filed Lucy's name
wasn't much of a surprise. But the moment of revelation was priceless nonetheless. (Well, mostly Chihaya's reaction. God bless you Chihaya.)

Speaking of Chihaya, stiiiiiill waiting for her to actually tell Touko she's dating her brother. How many perfect opportunities to broach the subject can she let slip by?!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Servant x Service 12

Why does this show have to end next week I want it to go on foreveeeeeeeeeeeer T_T

Lucy was pretty damn cute in that outfit in the end huh. Her normal clothes still suit her better, but something a little more feminine is nice once in a while. Also Hasebe is Ultimate Date Master. Stop that Hasebe you're making the rest of the world look bad.

And yeah
Hasebe's dad being the one who filed Lucy's name
wasn't much of a surprise. But the moment of revelation was priceless nonetheless. (Well, mostly Chihaya's reaction. God bless you Chihaya.)

Speaking of Chihaya, stiiiiiill waiting for her to actually tell Touko she's dating her brother. How many perfect opportunities to broach the subject can she let slip by?!

I hope SxS gets a second season like Working! did. It deserves it!

EDIT: New Lucy avatar! :D

Brothers Conflict 12 - Romance [end]
tumblr_mt3upqeyfT1r1geyyo1_500.jpg

Probably the least good ending in the otome adaptations anime, even if it did follow and conclude how the first novel did, I still think they could have
done like others and had her take someones route. Sure I dont like these types of romances but still, its certainly not as bad as not decided or doing anything.

Much of the other failings is its just every character and some moments. We see the weaknesses of the other characters who had too little time spent on them (even I dont know their names even), while a few others were just pointless (Subaru). Mainly Subaru seemed like to just enhance and make Natsume (incredibly cool) even cooler.I did get all emotional with Yusuke
not making into the school but then getting the letter and then seeing him all crying joyous, even I had tears of joy. And then his huge declaration of how he always felt inferior and now he doesnt. Go get em

End of the anime, Futo, Yusuke, Natsume were my favorite three. Obligatory twincest wincest with Tsubaki and Azusa, and of course Team Yuki Kaji...with Wataru.

-
Diabolik Lovers is already much better than this, so the future of otome anime is looking bright.

Quasar

Simulcast times and territories have been revealed for Crunchyroll's triple dose of Aniplex shows.

Kill la Kill
Thursdays at 11:30 am PDT -- North America, South America, and South Africa only
(as was previously noted, Madman will be streaming the series as a same-day simulcast for Australia/NZ viewers)

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Sundays at 2:00 am PDT -- North America, South America, and South Africa only

Valvrave the Liberator Season 2
Thursdays at 10:00am PDT -- US, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland only

Those geographics limits are pretty annoying. That just encourages breaking region locks and or torrenting. hope this isnt a sign of what to expect of the season generally or whether its just aniplex.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Majestic Prince 12

That's indeed some nasty engrish. Yawwwwwn, it's kinda humerous, but this isn't the Majestic Prince I signed up for.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 22

Doremi gets had because of her steak love. And now they're fucked. Hopefully the queen and Majo Rin got this under control.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu/Stella's Woman Acadamy Episode 12:

So, wait, how are we not done here, how do we have another episode? Seriously, this seems to be the series finale; certainly felt like it at any rate. Anyway, mixed feelings on this episode, as it was a necessary one, but Stella here is not very interesting when they go K-On! light and airy. Anyway, we get the requisite episode of fun and games and we see how far Yura has come both as a person and a airsoft gunner.
Also, it appears she is god damned Haruhi Suzumiya as the power of the reality marble fully manifests itself once again and this time it engulfs them all, and it is real, she does indeed have the power to reshape the world, and she uses it to change the entire school into the C3 Army. Though it fades for the moment, it is unknown how powerful the reality marble truly is. At any rate, Sonora and Yura have their goodbye but not really goodbye goodbye and I swear it seems like the entire club was waiting for them to kiss, and yet they do not because of reasons. We ned things with Yura doing the full circle thing.
Seriously, how do we have another episode? Well, it seems the series analysis waits until next week. Also, I may be the only one still watching this one at this point.

e_i

Stella Women’s Academy, High School Division Class C3 episode 12

Now, this IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. This the K-ON! meets airsoft of the earlier episodes but x1000 better. The part
where Yura changed reality so they could fight the entire school left me floored.

But damnit why couldn't
Yura and Sono kiss in that scene!

zeroshiki

There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.

The description says that its gonna be about the relationship of the 3 men who form the backbone of Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki.

Hey Anime-GAF, first time posting here, and with good reason since my only experience with anime was watching Dragon Ball Z when I got home from school... which was well over a decade ago. Haven't even played a JRPG since the original Playstation (unless watching Giant Bomb's P4 Endurance Run counts).

Anywho, when Wargamming.net announced they were doing a cross-promotion thing in Japan with "Girls Und Panzer" something piqued my interest (which is weird because I don't even play World of Tanks). So I caught a few clips on YouTube and thought "this was my kind of weird." Just finished it and really enjoyed it, thought it was witty and whimsical and found myself laughing on more than one occasion. Just wanted to see gather some suggestions on anything with a similar light-heartedness, without being really flashy or seizure-inducing. Preferably something that is already out and not on-going so I can take advantage of this 2-week Crunchyroll trial subscription.

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 71
tumblr_mtdpl9g8Vp1srr7czo1_500.gif

I dont understand why we have so many weeks of no episodes etc, often forgot the plot occasionally. Regarless Eden had good moments, certainly more entertaining than whenever Celery was on the screen. Subaru had funny faces though why does he never get good development, hope its fixed.

zeroshiki

Hey Anime-GAF, first time posting here, and with good reason since my only experience with anime was watching Dragon Ball Z when I got home from school... which was well over a decade ago. Haven't even played a JRPG since the original Playstation (unless watching Giant Bomb's P4 Endurance Run counts).

Anywho, when Wargamming.net announced they were doing a cross-promotion thing in Japan with "Girls Und Panzer" something piqued my interest (which is weird because I don't even play World of Tanks). So I caught a few clips on YouTube and thought "this was my kind of weird." Just finished it and really enjoyed it, thought it was witty and whimsical and found myself laughing on more than one occasion. Just wanted to see gather some suggestions on anything with a similar light-heartedness, without being really flashy or seizure-inducing. Preferably something that is already out and not on-going so I can take advantage of this 2-week Crunchyroll trial subscription.

Girls und Panzer came in 6th in 2012 GAF's Anime Of The Year voting. You might want to check that out. For someone just starting out, I guess Fate/Zero is the most accessible.

Not knowing what genres you're looking for, but if you're interested in the bunch of girls having fun genre, then you won't go wrong with the granddaddy of them all, K-On!

If you were more into the sports aspect of Girls und Panzer then ummm... I can't help you there since I don't watch much sports anime. I guess, Slam Dunk?

Shergal

There is apparently another Ghibli movie opening in 2 months that is not Kaguya Hime... its Yume to Kyouki no Oukoku or "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" and it sounds like its a documentary on Ghibli.

The description says that its gonna be about the relationship of the 3 men who form the backbone of Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki.

I had read something about this, but I thought it would focus specifically on the production of the latest two features. Seems like it'll be more general then?

BroCon 12

That was like a bunch of confession scenes you'll see in an otome game all rolled into one episode.

I still say she should have went the harem route

zeroshiki

I had read something about this, but I thought it would focus specifically on the production of the latest two features. Seems like it'll be more general then?

I decided to look it up and the news that came out around July about this was the director is an acclaimed newcomer named Sata Yumi and it details her shooting at Ghibli since last Fall. So I guess you're right that its gonna be from the perspective of the production of the 2 movies but its gonna probably be a "Jiro Love Sushi".-ish take on the studio.

Phi Brain 16

So Gammon had his puzzle of fools so all the title characters minus Nonoha have had one and so far the score card reads

Kaito: Solved the puzzle but was saved from death by Rook the reason he didn't solve the puzzle "fast enough" according to Rook

Cube: Failed the first 4/5 parts of his puzzle, but finished the final true puzzle in time to not die, then got his spirit crushed by the giver

Ana: Wrecked her puzzle without even trying

Gammon: Realized his puzzle was unwinnable, had Kaito bail him out and save his life

So according to the standings Ana > Cube > Kaito > Gammon

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 71
tumblr_mtdpl9g8Vp1srr7czo1_500.gif

I dont understand why we have so many weeks of no episodes etc, often forgot the plot occasionally. Regarless Eden had good moments, certainly more entertaining than whenever Celery was on the screen. Subaru had funny faces though why does he never get good development, hope its fixed.

Subaru is garbage material that's why ..they are trying to give him develloppement , in fact he had plenty of episodes. ( the star , the episode with haruto , plenty of foreshadowing ) it's just that the character is SO crappy that they can't do a thing with it .

Subaru can be summarized as :
-usefullness in battle : None
-usefullness in the plot : None
-appealing armor design : None
-intelligent or sarcastic dialog : None

I can search in mymemories .. he is the most useless character in the whole omega sub-franchise and most likely in the whole sain seya franchise and i'd even argue he is the most useless character in a toei animated serie in the last 10 years.

Subaru is garbage material that's why ..they are trying to give him develloppement , in fact he had plenty of episodes. ( the star , the episode with haruto , plenty of foreshadowing ) it's just that the character is SO crappy that they can't do a thing with it .

Subaru can be summarized as :
-usefullness in battle : None
-usefullness in the plot : None
-appealing armor design : None
-intelligent or sarcastic dialog : None

I can search in mymemories .. he is the most useless character in the whole omega sub-franchise and most likely in the whole sain seya franchise and i'd even argue he is the most useless character in a toei animated serie in the last 10 years.

Truly the male Shiny Luminous of our times.

Phi Brain 17

So the principal and youth x weren't the same they just happened to be bffs though how convenient. Seems like the principal has put a wedge in the plan that could be Rook's undoing. Love man you don't fuck with it

Truly the male Shiny Luminous of our times.

ah ah ah
Shinny luminous is a devellopped character when you compare the 2 ...heck compared to subaru , ikari is a well rounded and charismatic character !

yeah he is "That" bad ...you could remove subaru from the last 20 eps of SSO and there would be NO CHANGES to the story , absolutly None..
( i haven't seen the latest (71ep ))
--------------
Majestic prince - 09

I wasn't expecting "light" drama in my robo anime.

ah ah ah
Shinny luminous is a devellopped character when you compare the 2 ...heck compared to subaru , ikari is a well rounded and charismatic character !

yeah he is "That" bad ...you could remove subaru from the last 20 eps of SSO and there would be NO CHANGES to the story , absolutly None..
( i haven't seen the latest (71ep ))
--------------
Majestic prince - 09

I wasn't expecting "light" drama in my robo anime.

The fact that Hikari is better sows how fucked the anime industry really is.

Oh well once this shit is done, I'll do a special run for Saint Seiya Omega.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi # 23

After fucking up their first attempt to save Hana (way to blow your cover, Aiko, and god fucking dammit Doremi what're ya doing? He fooled you with steak again? And dammit dude, could that have been a more obvious trap? And you disguised yourself and Hana as kangaroos. That was hilarious, but c'mon man), the queen shows up and makes them super ultra powered so they can do it right. They save the day with tickling. Most problems can be fixed like that I think.

Articalys

Today, they announced the winners of Pixiv's Revolutionary Girl Utena Illustration Contest, including a couple among the grand prize winners that would make SDBurton proud. Not that it's a terribly difficult theme to demonstrate with this series.

http://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=1915 (a couple of the thumbnails on the results page may be slightly nsfw)

Phi Brain 18

Really enjoyed the puzzle of fools battle between Kaito and Gammon. Guess he had to go have his Vegeta moment eh. Can't imagine this face -> heel turn lasting more then 5 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom