• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also they did a really good job with naru's voice. Might be the first anime kid to sound like a kid instead of a high pitched squealing mess.

wonzo

Banned
Good/netural elements include the incestual/pedophilic (both my own words?) hints from Ange's brother to their little sister Sylvia. He strokes her lip, saying that they must keep the bloodline clean.

there is no coli emote dappable enough…

anime fanlets i swear to god

Usagi Drop Ep. 11

... that's it? I think I heard the production committee whisper, "Go read the manga," in my ear. Luckily, I'm well informed and won't go down that path. Even taken on its own, this is kind of a poor ending. The pacing is really wonky and you can feel the creative team struggling to figure out how to give some semblance of thematic closure.

Quasar

Usagi Drop Ep. 11

... that's it? I think I heard the production committee whisper, "Go read the manga" in my ear. Luckily, I'm well informed and won't go down that path. Even taken on its own, this is kind of a poor ending. The pacing is really wonky and you can feel the creative team struggling to figure out how to give some semblance of thematic closure.

I never felt that. I was just frustrated it ended. Of course I wanted some kind of Brady Bunch ending, or at least them dating with the promise of a Brady Bunch future.

12 Years a Female Mecha Pilot
iOB2toJhAuCNE.gif

Usagi Drop Ep. 11

... that's it? I think I heard the production committee whisper, "Go read the manga" in my ear. Luckily, I'm well informed and won't go down that path. Even taken on its own, this is kind of a poor ending. The pacing is really wonky and you can feel the creative team struggling to figure out how to give some semblance of thematic closure.

I have to disagree; I thought it was an excellent ending, summing up the themes of parenthood that the whole series had been dealing with.

Crocodile

Fucking Christ. Someone wrote up the first two episodes of Cross Ange, as they were at the premiere. Shit sounds worse in context.

irisinabottle.kinja.com/cross-ange-...lusive-episode-1-1638457731?rev=1411537491933

I can't

How did nobody put the brakes on this?

A) It actually does sound worse in context. WOW

B) I lost it when the author of the review defended the shitty incest themes and clumsily handled racism. LOL. Speaking of the actual show, why do so many who clearly are unable to write the issue in a convincing try? The issue of racism goes much further and is more insidious than just a bunch of mustache twirling klansmen or those who act/think like them but so few seem to be able to write the issue in a non-embarrassing way. It's kind of stunning honestly.

Thoraxes

they list on the sales now that the discount does not apply to orders already made.
They used to do it for me, but ended up saying that they could only do it up to 1 month after the placement of thee order. Guess that's gone now too though.

Also, do you know if it's easy to change payment methods with them? I get a new card in October, so I need to change payment on my Sailor Moon (with coin} and Nisekoi releases. But I want to preorder all this stuff while the sale is active.
Oh, it looks like Sentai's release slate for January just got announced, including a random new license for Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-official-january-2015-releas

Dog & Scissors (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]
Non Non Biyori (BD/DVD, sub-only)
Qwaser of Stigmata Complete Collection (BD/DVD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Amagami SS+ (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Little Busters Refrain (BD/DVD with dub)
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Collection 1 (BD/DVD with dub)
A-Channel (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Log Horizon Collection 2 (BD/DVD with dub)
Maid-Sama (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]

So, some new stuff, some rereleases now on BD and two new dubs.

All available on Right Stuf to preorder .

Guess i'm in for Log Horizon, Non Non Biyori, and Maid-sama.

Wait a second...

Qwaser of Stigmata Complete Collection (BD/DVD, sub-only)

Oh shit guys.

Fuck yeah.

I thought the exact same thing.

Or maybe it's a rip off of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BludvtlXPQ

Which was inspired by Chrono Trigger

Just A-Channel, which has whatever the same bonus stuff its DVD had; everything else only has the clean OP/ED listed from what I can tell.

Weird. They're not even throwing in the OVA for that one?

No OVA for Non Non Biyori either then? Bah.

Steins;Gate - 1

So is this gonna turn into: "Save States, the anime?" Lol.

Not gonna lie, this is definitely an interesting concept. Characters are okay so far as well.

Not bad for a first episode.

Enjoy!

Please tell me this isn't a thing.

You could always try to watch the live action movie...

More Kanon watching for me upcoming ;o

Yay!

Y u do dis?

Fucking Christ. Someone wrote up the first two episodes of Cross Ange, as they were at the premiere. Shit sounds worse in context.

irisinabottle.kinja.com/cross-ange-...lusive-episode-1-1638457731?rev=1411537491933

I can't

Holy crap.

I have to disagree; I thought it was an excellent ending, summing up the themes of parenthood that the whole series had been dealing with.
All I took away from it was, "Parenthood is a sacrifice but it's worth it." While it's not something you often see as the focus of an anime, I found it trite. The part where Daikichi had to verbalize that he had changed since becoming a parent drove home to me that they didn't have a whole lot to say.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Momo Kyun Sword - END

A pox on that fucking ending. Oni girl still had the best ass and was the best girl.
Look, I know your shipping fantasies were dashed when it turned out
they were sisters
but there are other avenues you can explore like Momoko x Ringo or Onihime x Enki.

Also it's rather nice when an anime ends with a happily ever after. Most just camera pan up to the sky while the credits start to roll over the scenery.

phaze

Berserk - 03

Grifith seems to be mr perfect. Okay episode, I would prefer that the main plot continues soon though

It's not like I wanted to join your gang or anything.. baka

Yeah, don't get your hopes up too high.

As much as I was disappointed with Tokyo Ghoul's manga adaption. The OST is sooooo fuckin good.

http://youtu.be/KXOqKHNDZdk
This one for some reason reminds me of Batman. I don't know why but I love it.

http://youtu.be/qdZIqpRd0AQ
And this one is amazing, goddam.

But yeah at least I was a bit satisfied with the OST.

I hope the release will have that glorious piano theme from last episode. Pure bliss.

Durarara!! 17

So...
The three high school main characters are all leaders of their own gangs/weird supernatural cult?
This anime is bizarre.

Hah yes it's weird, it's farfetched and makes for a weaker final arc. Though I must say I loved the
Anri reveal, took me completely by surprise.

Black Bullet 9-13

Managed to finally finish this.
Given all the dead lolis the show has thrown at me I
was surprised the main cast made it unscathed. Genuinely thought at least Enju would bite the titular bullet.
. Gastrea invasion was supposed this giant invasion force yet Rentaro managed to get into deep into their territory and return with barely a scratch in the space of one episode. The last string of episodes felt like they were struggling to fit into all the necessary story into 13 episodes. Events came one after another, often making little sense and with no room to let the scenes breathe. That Kisara bit at the end came out of nowhere but maybe I'm forgetting the setup for it in previous episodes.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 18

This has to be the worst written episode thus far, and not even in an entertaining way. Did the writer, Jun'ichi Fujisaku, have to shit this out in a single day? Unsurprisingly, I see that this was another episode outsourced to P.A. Works and directed by Masayuki Yoshihara. I really want to know what limitations they were working under for their episodes to turn out so poorly. I surmise that they were given minimal time to work on the episodes and no freedom for the director to do anything but strictly adapt the script given.

I can't

Seriously, what the hell. There've been multiple anime scenes (look at the recent butt-shot-orgies from SAO 2, even if that's tame compared to this) where I just can't help imagining some very uncomfortable animators working on these scenes. Or at least I would like to hope they are. And whoever comes up with this shit...do they watch the finished sequence together and go "yeh this is good"?

Framing (impending) anal rape with torture toys in a way that's supposed to be alluring, just what the ever living fuck.

dan2026

I must be the only one who isn't shocked by anything in anime anymore.

'anal rape with a stick? Bah. You should see whats coming up next week!'

Not that I agree with it mind. Otaku pandering bullshit is usually disgusting.
But its not unexpected. Especially these days.

I guess that's where I'm confused, to what purpose? Are you suggesting that its a commentary by the writer on the idea of Justice? If so, its a bit heavy-handed and full of hyperbole -- even if its just for exaggerated effect as dramas are oft to do as shorthand. I get the reality that concepts such as justice are often twisted and fall prey to perception than what peoples ideological perceptions of it may be but in this show you literally have a situation were every single character on the under the government is suffering from an extreme case of split personality disorder where they commit atrocities in the name of the state and then go back to their 4-koma comedy sketches in the next frame. It's like someone thought they could mix Gai-Rei Zero with a slice-of-life anime but figured as if that wasn't enough of a hook, give the villains the same treatment. The concept is interesting overall but I guess that last bit is the step too far that's more confusing than interesting.

NO it's not what the writter think of justice , it's what the writter think of people spouting justice , especially without thinking..she is clearly the wrost of the lot ( more than esdeath ) because esdeath is quite aware of what she is doing and why she does it. Justice-chan ? not even close. I mean she's got issues and she suffered but she , unlike many never realise that she is an hypocrite. Out of the jeager or night raid , everyone realise the consequences of their actions , heck from the start night raid members mock tatsumi over his sweethoped ideals. i mean the world of night raid is so fucked up that anyone spoutiong justice is obviously a fool.And this is true in the jeager side too
IN her character develloppement , justice-chan was so bloody trusting that she trusted 2 GRADE A assholes ( one of the 2 used her in experiments ) without knowing or ever understanding that their actions were flawed Heck stylish doesn't use her in his assault BECAUSE she wouldn't keep quiet showing that everyone is manipulating her to no end.She is a tool that doesn't realise what she is , what she has become and what she is trully doing.She is not even meant to be taken seriously.

Anyway, The gap between their assassins side and their daily side is done on purpose too, probably to put more impact when one dies ( because who cares when one die if it's assasin #1354687467464684, it's much better if it's a character you know and understand) and that's why we get the jaeger side too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I kind of feel like the anime never settles into a position where it can say anything that's very grounded about parenthood as a whole. Its truncated form only covers a very short span of time, and its all so incredibly romanticized that it's hard to feel like there's much credibility in place. Coming to a place of acceptance that Usagi Drop targets an audience that are not parents is important to understanding the text, and holding the series less accountable for lacking much veracity.

fertygo

If otaku asking that kind of shit that shch like captwin earth and fuun daishogun anime in past season won't bombing so hard.

Jarmel

Banned
I should note that there is some discussion/argument that the scene is someone installing a control system into her lower back. I think though that's somebody's conjecture rather than seeing the actual scene. The storyboarding in any case does seem to imply that some form of assault occurred just due to the number of people coming out of the event who have that impression.

Show sounds fucking terrible either way though. Either it was boring enough that nobody watching gave a shit about any of the details or they went for full shock value.

jgminto

I swear to god if this is gyan kid related

A removal of Gyan Kid and his poor taste in robots would be an improvement but Try will probably still be great. The problem is there's only four or five shows that I actually give a shit about and that's the lowest it has ever been.

Narag

A removal of Gyan Kid and his poor taste in robots would be an improvement but Try will probably still be great. The problem is there's only four or five shows that I actually give a shit about and that's the lowest it has ever been.

Ain't no season like backlog season then

Mr.Jeff

Aria: Arietta OVA

That flashback to when Akari first arrived at Aria Company was weird. Was like Alicia had agreed to take on Akari as her apprentice before she had arrived and probably before they even met. Wish I had a better idea of how that happened if they were going to have something where the two first met in the first place, something I've said all along they didn't need.

Anyway, no more Aria, fuck the world, etc.
Actually...that's something that I don't is ever covered even in the manga. The first chapter of Aqua covers Akari's arrival and introduction to President Aria and Alicia but there's no real sense they'd ever met before.
Presumably she got an apprenticeship through applying for it? Hmmm.

Hunter x Hunter (2011)
*review*

Fantastic write-up. I agree with everything in this. I actually stopped watching the adaptation and got caught-up with the manga when the assault on the castle started. It's really a darned shame, it was a turn-off for many fans of the series who watched this weekly.

But even so, I still love this show. It was great fun to watch. Though I mostly agree with your highlights of the show, if I had to add one, it would be
the Requiem for Uvogin scene. Where the Troupe members go on a murderous rampage through the night whilst a Mozart piece plays that goes over the ED.

Ain't no season like backlog season then

I might have made this a backlog season had it not been for me recently watching Fate/Zero. Now I really want to see Ufotable version of Fate/Stay Night.

Tenumi

Banned
Oh boy. Those Cross Ange impressions from the pre-airing...

Shit is super dark. Looks like we have a winner in the edge category.

That tone whiplash is going to snap my neck.

I can't

Welp, so much for planning on watching that show. *Removes from list* The initial previews looked so promising, too...

Jarmel

Banned
Holy fuck, I'm reading some of recent Shikidouji's tweets from the last day. She at least is definitely not talking about the tabletop.

I think a FMP S4 got greenlit. Oh man...

Holy fuck, I'm reading some of recent Shikidouji's tweets from the last day.

I think a FMP S4 got greenlit. Oh man...

Now now, let's not get too hyped about this until it's actually confirmed. Like, until an official announcement or something.

I'm sure we don't want a repeat of last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom