• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Shinkai's first film to receive a wide release, Kimi no na wa, is on track in its opening weekend to possibly pull in over 1 billion yen, which would be a bigger box office opening than any of Mamoru Hosoda's films. Will Shinkai overtake Hosoda to become the most commercially successful Japanese anime filmmaker of today?

The next Miyazaki, if you will?!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I always felt his characters were stiff, but I didn't expect him to overcome that weakness in this particular manner.

Mobile suit Gundam ZZ up to the END

It only took until a colony to drop but it FINALLY picked up at some point. Those last 15 or so episodes were excellent and a huge step up from those, going from bad to mediocre, episodes of before.

A few things I would like to point.

-The whole main cast redeem themselves at the end and made me enjoy them.
-Haman and Glemy were pretty good villains
-Yazan never reappeared other then in a mini-cameo lol
-Mashymre had a weird ending and I don't know how to feel about him.
-I thought ZZ was saved from dumb girls, whcich realy dragged Zeta down, BUT Emary went full dumb at the end and her death was really pathetic.
-Other then her the female cast in ZZ was excellent.
-Ple death's was really underwhelming. Not much emotions from Juday, almost nothing. It felt really weird.
-The music was always pretty good. Not SEED or 00 good, but pretty good.
-The actions scenes were all sooo good and were the main source of why I liked ZZ
-The ZZ is very cool.
-Thank GOD it had a good ending, Zeta was so anti-climatic I'm still mad at it.
-The blu-ray treatment really brings out how good ZZ is looking. Those colony drop moments were amazing.

All in all, I'm waiting for my CCA blu-rays and I will have finally finished the ohh so praised main UC series. I was a little underwhelmed, but for now it was ok good.

The Cosmic Era timeline is still the best *gundam series*

Next in line After war Gundam X

I didn't want to say it...

I always felt his characters were stiff, but I didn't expect him to overcome that weakness in this particular manner.

Kimi no na wa has a lot of big-name animators on it, actually. Masayoshi Tanaka (Ano Hana, Anthem of the Heart) did the character designs, and Masashi Ando (Princess Mononoke, Sprited Away, When Marnie was There) is animation director. Hiroyuki Okiura, Norio Matsumoto, Takashi Hashimoto, Naoki Kobayashi, and Atsuko Tanaka all did key animation for the film. So Shinkai has finally managed to gather a lot of top-notch animation talent to work for him.

Shinkai's first film to receive a wide release, Kimi no na wa, is on track in its opening weekend to possibly pull in over 1 billion yen, which would be a bigger box office opening than any of Mamoru Hosoda's films. Will Shinkai overtake Hosoda to become the most commercially successful Japanese anime filmmaker of today?

Until the Master Mr. Anno returns.

as someone who has actually seen your name i'll reiterate that it wasn't very good!!!

blurr

Kimi no na wa has a lot of big-name animators on it, actually. Masayoshi Tanaka (Ano Hana, Anthem of the Heart) did the character designs, and Masashi Ando (Princess Mononoke, Sprited Away, When Marnie was There) is animation director. Hiroyuki Okiura, Norio Matsumoto, Takashi Hashimoto, Naoki Kobayashi, and Atsuko Tanaka all did key animation for the film. So Shinkai has finally managed to gather a lot of top-notch animation talent to work for him.

holy cow, I have gotta watch this film

I didn't want to say it...

RIP Naruto finale ;__;

Shinkapocalypse.

Moaradin

I'm sure they will deliver on the Naruto finale. They've been hyping it up too much. They can do some really good work when they actually give a shit. Kakashi vs Obito was great and I'm expecting better than that.

Alderamin on the Sky 08

RIP Kanna
This was good though I feel the group needed to suffer a brutally harsh defeat at some point instead of MC and friends always having victory pretty much guaranteed by virtue of being MC and friends.

duckroll

Will it have legs though? Hosoda films tend to make several times that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No see
CT0xRz.png

Clov

We already have Goro!

As for Shinkai, I'm looking forward to his new film despite not being a huge fan of his. I loved 5cm Per Second, but I'm more lukewarm on some of his other films. A lot of them feel very similar in terms of tone and themes. Children Who Chase Lost Voices was a bit different than his other work, but I wasn't a big fan of that one either. I'll give his new work a shot; at the very least it will look beautiful.

Also, I just realized that I've nearly entirely forgotten The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I guess it just didn't leave a big impression on me.

Will it have legs though? Hosoda films tend to make several times that.

I'm no box office expert. I suppose it depends on how favorable the general audience reception of the film is.

We already have Goro!

As for Shinkai, I'm looking forward to his new film despite not being a huge fan of his. I loved 5cm Per Second, but I'm more lukewarm on some of his other films. A lot of them feel very similar in terms of tone and themes. Children Who Chase Lost Voices was a bit different than his other work, but I wasn't a big fan of that one either. I'll give his new work a shot; at the very least it will look beautiful.

Also, I just realized that I've nearly entirely forgotten The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I guess it just didn't leave a big impression on me.

Shinkai has much too small a wheelhouse to be as prominent a director as he is. But then, he seems to be a savvy businessman as much as he is an artist with how he's managed to keep doing his thing at his own studio for years.

Line_HTX

Pulling over 1 billion Yen on release day or opening weekend sounds like a pretty big deal though.

I guess you're right, the general audience will have the biggest say in the end.

phaze

Xam'd Lost Memories 19
018598rjsvz.jpg
01862630s1d.jpg
018631uisxq.jpg

Greatest bug-human love story ever told.
Where is my enemy?
This is your enemy. That is your enemy.
This one is without a doubt your enemy.
The enemy of the people is your enemy as well.
Ah, but do you not yet see, this is the easy… the clear answer?
You are not yet truly alive. Words from those who look without seeing.
Lazy… Lazy… Lazy… Lazy…

-----
That was one hell of a bizarre amnesia arc.

This is about the first time I feel I have somewhat of a grasp on the major factions of this world. They really could have put out a plain world map and some more exposition about South and especially North government, where the differences Government/Tessek people/ the old hag and their mutual relationships were forever foggy.

Since ED2 seems to getting put the rest, I just wanted note my appreciation for the constantly high level of care that all the OPs&EDs of this show receive. Really nice set of songs, storyboarding and animation/art.

Hajime no Ippo 21

After an episode with probably the best visuals to date, this episode had probably the worst visuals to date. Character art was less polished than usual, and there was a higher concentration of stills and clumsy animation. These things happen, of course, and there were still plenty of smears in the beginning of Ippo's match with Hayami. So I can't complain too much on that score.

What I will complain about is that the humor in this show is excessively juvenile. It's like I'm in a middle school boys locker room. I suppose that's appropriate for the world of young-ish boxers being depicted, and it's certainly appropriate for the shounen manga audience the series is targeting, but it's not something that appeals to me. Especially since it reminds me of some of the behavior of the others in my childhood Boy Scout troop that I hated.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 19

This is how you do infodumps. For those of you that aren't caught up yet and never seen prior Macross titles, yes, even Frontier, this is probably the easiest Cliff's Notes you could ask for in terms of getting up to speed with the universe. I love the shoutouts and callbacks to old Macrosses though. Even though I've only watched Frontier before, it was great to hear Lion again and see the great Sheryl Nome. I probably need to see Do You Remember Love at some point.

I don't like this conniving merchant though. He only says he has strictly business relationships with everyone he deals with, but I don't buy that for a second. Berger Stone and Roid both seem to have ulterior motives of their own. I doubt Stone is doing all this research just to get more info and report back to this "Lady M" or whoever.

That's weird, I thought Mikumo was carted off. Why is she in some recovery tank like you see in early DBZ?

DAYS Episode 9 – We'll Get the Ball Over to Where Your Voice Can Reach Us in No Time
Cq5BouTWEAA7BSU.jpg:small
Cq5CEx-WEAA6GBs.jpg:small

I love the embarrassing moments the most. Tsukamoron's apologizing scene is always amazing due to how fast he is bowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom