• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just about to start the anime when i saw this thread again...lol i guess no Glasslips then :D

Why are you doing this

giphy.gif
You should at least give it one episode or two. You never know you may like it.

Mailbox

currently watching the Anime Orange....and oh man what a great and touching anime

New-Orange-Anime-Visual-Cast-Promotional-Video-Revealed.jpg

Gaf are there some other high quality romance/school Animes that i missed in these past months?

Ore Monogatari was the last one i checked.

My Top 3 are Kimi Ni Todoke, Sakouraso no Pet Kanojo and Ao Haru Ride

There hasn't been enough in the genre of romance for anime since Ore Monogatari (to my dismay, i love a good romance T_T)

But from a quick look of things that have finished since Ore Monogatari, I'd recommend Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (Season 2 finished in winter). There just aren't enough romance shows that aren't ecchi or action nowadays :(

There's also Working!!! which ended its third and last season last summer (and thus tied up the large amount of romantic plots and subplots very nicely)

Theres also shows that aired alongside Ore Monogatari like Plastic Memories and Yamada-kun and the 7 witches which (while not perfect) are quiet enjoyable.

i was just about to start the anime when i saw this thread again...lol i guess no Glasslips then :D

Why are you doing this

giphy.gif

DTL legit loves that show, and none of us know why...

There hasn't been enough in the genre of romance for anime since Ore Monogatari (to my dismay, i love a good romance T_T)

But from a quick look of things that have finished since Ore Monogatari, I'd recommend Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (Season 2 finished in winter). There just aren't enough romance shows that aren't ecchi or action nowadays :(

There's also Working!!! which ended its third and last season last summer (and thus tied up the large amount of romantic plots and subplots very nicely)

Theres also shows that aired alongside Ore Monogatari like Plastic Memories and Yamada-kun and the 7 witches which (while not perfect) are quiet enjoyable.

yeah thats the problem...they are too rare
im a sucker for good romance anime shows and since i watched most of the good ones by now its depressing

However thanks for the suggestions, i will check them out and maybe start watching some of them

Cornbread78

The thing about White Album 2 is that it ISN'T a "read the source material" kind of ending. It ends just fine, and if you don't go for more stuff you will be fine.

Personally, I was quite satisfied with the ending of White Album 2's anime, you shouldn't worry about that. The thing is, apparently the anime is only the introductory chapter to the VN.

Seriously? That's a damn long "common" route then..

Yamada-kun is good as well. I loced Plastic Memories as well.

White Album 2 gets really good later.

Definately ef-A Tale of Memories. That, or you could give Golden Time a try. Itazura na Kiss as well.

Have you seen Clanned?

already watched Golden TIme and Itazura na Kiss

Clannad...i really want and need to watch it, its just the character design that is turning me off.

Sandfox

I was disappointed with the end of Glasslip and this is coming from someone who really liked it up until the final few episodes.

Cornbread78

Clannad...i really want and need to watch it, its just the character design that is turning me off.

Clannad is soooo worth the watch though and one of the best out there.

Emma a Victorian Romance us a slow burn, but really good as well.

Aishiteruze Baby is pretty good as well.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

If you want something better than clannad watch 5 centimeters a second. I hate it but it looks really really good and apparently everyone else likes it.
They're crazy.
kidding
but really tho

Cornbread78

Can't disagree that it's good, but unlike Usagi Drop you should actually go finish off the story in the manga.

I actually did read a little bit of it and I'm glad they ended the anime where they did. Not that the manga ending was bad, it just wasn't what I thought would happen, lol

Yeah, definately not Usagi Drop garbage..

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

The reason he likes it because its mirrors his own life.
Going nowhere with ambition.

NeonZ

I've finished all of Oshii's run of Urusei Yatsura now! It's been good overall, despite the few problems I've had with the series (which I've talked about in this thread already in my previous posts). They even ended it with a nice two-parter that had some impressively animated action scenes. Still, nothing topped episode 78 for me. Now to start Studio Deen's run...

They actually attempt to mostly keep the show like it was under Oshii - like keeping Megane and the others around, for example, even though they disappear shortly after Mendo's introduction in the manga, also escalating some situations from the manga to stupidly big levels. Obviously with a different staff it's not the same and some of their attempts don't quite work.

There aren't as many original stories as in the 2nd half of Oshii's run, but it still has some. Animation-wise it's actually an improvement too.

Narag

Macross Δ 21

If I have a criticism of the show, it's definitely centered around the infodump episodes. 15 was really bad about this as it tried to give a degree of pathos to what were, by and large, generic villains. 19 gets a pass given the range of franchise events it covered but this one had the same issues with 15 in that brought things to a halt with the first half being the Walkure backstory in a rather ham handed "As you know..." fashion. It didn't really feel like we learned much of anything new either, just reinforcement of topics that were covered already in passing conversation. It would have been nice if all this info had been interwoven into the plot a little more naturally as the show went on.

Still, if these downtime episodes end up leading into stuff as Macross as 10 or 13, I'll be satisfied in the end.

Clov

Maybe they're all wrong and DTL is right.

How many of you have seen Glasslip?

I have. I watched every episode, and I thought it was garbage.

Glasslip: from the director of Ranma 1/2, Windy Tales and The Animal Conference on the Environment

I wasn't aware of this, and now I'm sad. What happened? :(

They actually attempt to mostly keep the show like it was under Oshii - like keeping Megane and the others around, for example, even though they disappear shortly after Mendo's introduction in the manga, also escalating some situations from the manga to stupidly big levels. Obviously with a different staff it's not the same and some of their attempts don't quite work.

There aren't as many original stories as in the 2nd half of Oshii's run, but it still has some. Animation-wise it's actually an improvement too.

The animation actually does look a bit nicer! Too bad that there's not as many original stories, though.

Alderamin episode 8

3. Deus ex Machina in the shape of new technology that only they have, and that is more than revolutionary. It wasn't an increase of for example 50% in effectiveness, but of 400% vs the older models. That's too big of a single leap. In real life even revolutionary technology needs incremental improvements over years, as it's polished up more and more.

Well in this episode they mentioned republic already have same technology, this actually
means something, and you will know that really quick.

Sterok

Glitter Tears Finale

The Shadow Force made the most of their scenes. Evil counterparts are always cool, but their complete lack of screen-time is criminal. The second to last episode was actually better than I remember. But the last episode was as dumb as I remember. Seriously, why was it even a thought choosing between seeing Candy or saving the world? And they spent more time crying than hero work at the end. Still a bad finale to a decent show.

Taken completely on its own Glitter Force is a decent show. It's funny and entertaining, albeit shallow as a puddle, even more so than Smile Precure. As a dub it's pretty mediocre with 8 dropped episodes, changed names, rewritten scenes almost always for the worse, horrible music, bad CG endings, too much talking, and a lack of thought as to what made the original scenes good. Still, these changes did give me a reason to even bother watching this in the first place. I still like it, even if it's a worse version of Smile, which I don't hold in very high regard.

Now where is my Glitter Force Musou Koei? You know we want it.

RE:Cyborg 009 the movie

I got lost and I feel like I'm missing a lot of info. Like who is the girl? Who is the other girl? What is the voice? How is the ending so un-ending? Is the justice movie trilogy coming out soon supposed to be a sequel to this?

Other then that the action was cool, the CG looked good, the characters designs looked nice. Joe was the best one. I'll probably watch those movie coming soon whenever they are released.

Crocodile

A while ago it was announced that NHK would be making a longer version of an Animator Expo short. And the winner is... The Dragon Dentist. The new anime's staff is as follows:

Director: Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL, Diebuster)
Original Work/Scripts: Otaro Maijo (novelist, Jojo: Jorge Joestar)
Scripts: Yoji Enokido (FLCL, Diebuster)
Character Design: Shuichi Iseki (MeMeMe)
Executive Producer/Sound Director: Hideaki Anno (Evangelion)
Animation Production: Khara

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out!

Out of all the shorts, this is not the one I expected to get turned into a full/mini-series. I thought the short was just ok but maybe the "real deal" will be better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Zaregoto said:
The story revolves around Araragi whose name is never mentioned and the mysteries he encounters, but after the second book, the series comes with more and more fighting and action. Araragi tends to try in vain to keep away from the girls, but instead of being the bystander he wants to be, he always gets dragged into the center of the girls. Though it seems Araragi does a lot in the story, he always finds out at the end that whatever he did was meaningless.
I'm in.

duckroll

RE:Cyborg 009 the movie

I got lost and I feel like I'm missing a lot of info. Like who is the girl? Who is the other girl? What is the voice? How is the ending so un-ending? Is the justice movie trilogy coming out soon supposed to be a sequel to this?

Other then that the action was cool, the CG looked good, the characters designs looked nice. Joe was the best one. I'll probably watch those movie coming soon whenever they are released.

This was a film originally written for Oshii to direct. When he dropped out, Kamiyama directed it instead (he wrote the script). It tries to mimic what Oshii would have done with it, but without the special touch. Much of the plot here is thematic exposition about the nature of self, free will, and the author as God. The ending itself is a homage and meta commentary on the Cyborg 009 franchise at large. Without prior knowledge of the references, it would just seem like random wtf.

My interpretation of the story was that the mysterious influence throughout the story was simply the voice of the author, and that the characters were trapped in a scenario which where they had no real free will. They are cartoon characters created to fight and to do exciting stuff, and there's a disconnect between that and their desire to break free of what the setting expects them to be. Even if you don't take this reading, it is clear that the influence of a god-like being is meant to be a comment on how superheroes are what the world makes of them.

Now as for the ending itself, it is a homage to the original ending of the first set of story arcs in the Cyborg 009 manga. It was a bittersweet ending of 002 and 009 crashing through the atmosphere together and dying, creating the look of a shooting star which gives two children seeing it hope for the future. This was how it would have ended and remained super iconic, had the manga not been so popular that fan and publisher pressure forced the author to retcon it to just to continue the franchise. As such, the shock ending where everyone turns out fine and there's no real explanation, is also a homage to how even the will of the author (god) can be overwritten by the joined voices of the fanbase (hope of the common people).

I still thing the movie was pretty meh, and Kamiyama bit off way more than he could chew. He's no Oshii, that's for sure, but I hope that clears some stuff up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom