• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the problem, is it on Japan's end to send the material over?

Yes. If the production of an episode is running especially tight, then the studio is unable to provide materials to Funimation/whoever in time to get a translation done before the scheduled air time.

Read this article for a better understanding of how simulcast streaming works.

Is there anyway to watch that Seven Deadly Sins filler series?

Not legally.

Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-content-via-streaming-home-video-est/.106234

Media distribution site Crunchyroll and North American anime licensor and distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced a partnership on Thursday that will include cross-streaming opportunities, Broadcast Dub production, and home video distribution. The partnership is currently limited to the United States and Canada.

Cross-streaming Opportunities
Starting on Thursday, Crunchyroll viewers can watch subtitled versions of Funimation's summer simulcast titles, including: D.Gray-man Hallow, First Love Monster, and Puzzle & Dragons X. Select Funimation catalog titles such as Cowboy Bebop, Psycho-Pass, and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash are also available now on Crunchyroll.
The two companies also announced that certain Crunchyroll catalog titles such as Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club and The Testament of Sister New Devil will be available on FunimationNow "in the coming weeks."

Broadcast Dub Production
Additionally, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100, and Orange. Funimation and Crunchyroll stated that the Broadcast Dubs will premiere "in the weeks to come," and will announce specific release schedules later.
Gen Fukunaga, CEO and president of Funimation, told ANN that the decision about which of Crunchyroll's titles will get an English dub is "primarily being driven by Funimation," but that the two companies meet every week to talk about titles. Fukunaga also stated that Funimation has already expanded its budget for its dub production operation in order to meet the increased dub workload, and said regarding the future of FunimationNow, "FunimationNow will be the home for the dubs — we're focusing on simuldubs, to get those out much faster, closer to Japanese broadcast."

Funimation and Crunchyroll will not be embedding each others' video players onto their sites, but will instead continue to use their own video players to play the collaborative content. Fukunaga stated that the two companies will be cross-marketing to work together to promote the titles.

The companies will also continue to work together for future seasons for subtitled and Broadcast Dub content.

Home Video Distribution
Funimation will also serve as the distributor for Crunchyroll's home video release titles and EST (electronic sell-through) releases through "a variety of EST outlets." Titles currently planned include: Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and ReLIFE. The home video and EST releases will include subtitles and English dubs.
Crunchyroll had announced at Anime Expo in July that it will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.

The companies will announce more titles for home video in the future.

I quoted most of the stuff in the article.

The good news is since funimation will distribute crunchy's titles, I will be able to afford them! Bless funimation and crunchyroll!

jbug617

Banned
Huge news. Crunchyroll and Funimation are partnering together. CR focus on subtitle and Funi on dubs
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-funimation-partner-to-expand-access-to-anime
Crunchyroll and Funimation, the two leading global providers of anime, have announced a partnership to improve the fan experience and grow the current reach of anime by sharing titles across streaming, home video, and electronic sell-through (EST). Through this agreement, Crunchyroll will continue creating the best subtitled streaming experience for fans, while Funimation will focus on delivering the best in English-language dubbed (“Broadcast Dubs”) streaming. This collaboration will enable fans to enjoy more anime in more ways than ever before.
Starting today, Crunchyroll viewers will have access to subtitled versions of Funimation’s summer simulcast titles, including D.Gray Man HALLOW, FIRST LOVE MONSTER and Puzzle & Dragons X. And in the weeks to come, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of Crunchyroll’s summer titles, including 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100 and Orange, with release schedules to be announced. Both companies will also work together to bring the best in subtitled and Broadcast Dubs titles for future seasons to com
Additionally, a selection of catalog titles, such as Cowboy Bebop, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, and PSYCHO-PASS from FunimationNow will be available on Crunchyroll today, and Free! -Iwatobi Swim Club and The Testament of Sister New Devil from Crunchyroll will be available on FunimationNow, Funimation’s new streaming service, in the coming weeks.
Home Video Releases
And further, Funimation will now distribute Crunchyroll’s titles through home video and a variety of EST outlets, with both dubbed and subtitled versions together. Currently planned titles include Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and ReLIFE, with more to be announced in the future.

Says Kun Gao, Founder and GM of Crunchyroll on this auspicious occasion, “Funimation shares our passion of bringing amazing content to viewers. This partnership will allow Crunchyroll to continue making the best subtitled simulcast experience for all fans. Anime is a lifestyle experience shared by millions, and we look forward to new ways to delight fans together.”

SOLDIER

Huge news. Crunchyroll and Funimation are partnering together. CR focus on subtitle and Funi on dubs
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-funimation-partner-to-expand-access-to-anime

Home Video Releases

So if I'm reading that right, those with a Crunchyroll account get to enjoy more shows that were exclusive to Funimation, and those with Funimation Now exclusively get broadcast dubs of current CR shows, right?

That's pretty awesome, even though I only have a CR account. I've been putting off Funi's because they still haven't released their updated app for Apple TV and consoles. Has there been any word when that's coming out?

Seems more like I could unsub from Crunchy and get more broadcast dubs on funimation. Will keep both for maximum coverage

I wonder how long until Funimation and Crunchyroll merge

Does this mean I can unsub from Funi

Seems to be funimation will be dubbed focus while crunchyrol will be subbed focus.

Taken form their F.A.Q

What new shows are coming to Crunchyroll?
As of today, we’ve got subs for the current season of D.Gray-man HALLOW, Puzzle & Dragons X, and FIRST LOVE MONSTER, as well as PSYCHO-PASS, Cowboy Bebop, and Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash.

We’re excited to add more shows in the weeks and months ahead, so keep checking back!

Are any titles leaving Crunchyroll?
No subtitled shows are leaving, but you’ll find dubbed versions of Free!, and Testament of Sister New Devil over at FunimationNow in the coming weeks, with many more dubs from our Summer 2016 season to follow!

What will happen to titles that Crunchyroll has previously announced it will be making for home video?
They will still be released, and will be distributed through our partner, Funimation. Crunchyroll and Funimation will be working together to produce all future titles.

What if I subscribe to both services now?
In general, you’ll get subbed anime from Crunchyroll and dubbed anime from FunimationNow.

Plus there’s good news! Although both subscriptions are independent, our friends at Funimation have announced a new, reduced price for their dubbed streaming service

Line_HTX

That is big fucking news.

I never subbed to Funi before, but if I read this correctly I guess I don't have to and just keep my Crunchyroll sub.

I kind of need some broadcast dubs to be honest. Most recent one I watched because I was curious was Netoge.

That is big fucking news.

I never subbed to Funi before, but if I read this correctly I guess I don't have to and just keep my Crunchyroll sub.

I kind of need some broadcast dubs to be honest. Most recent one I watched because I was curious was Netoge.

Funimations broadcast dubs have been excellent so far, if Crunchyroll's dubs are of a similar quality the funimation dub plan will be well worth for dub fans.

DiGiKerot

The second boom is coming to an end, surely.

There's an interview on ANN which basically makes it sound like they realised that Netflix and Amazon were going to devour them alive if they didn't take some kind of consolidating action. It jives with comments I've heard at various anime event industry panels, where producers in particular have commented that they're increasingly seeing the major streaming IS companies getting involved in production prior to what would be the normal production committee formation stage. Crunchy and Funi have already started joining production committees in order to secure the rights to stuff, but that's not really much when Amazon can come along and baggsy even Noitamina show in advance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's an interview on ANN which basically makes it sound like they realised that Netflix and Amazon were going to devour them alive if they didn't take some kind of consolidating action. It jives with comments I've heard at various anime event industry panels, where producers in particular have commented that they're increasingly seeing the major streaming IS companies getting involved in production prior to what would be the normal production committee formation stage. Crunchy and Funi have already started joining production committees in order to secure the rights to stuff, but that's not really much when Amazon can come along and baggsy even Noitamina show in advance.
Man, I haven't listened to ANN in so long.

Are Amazon and Netflix interested in getting into the volume game though? The primary advantage that CR/Funi has is that they try to grab as many shows as they can and pump them out, whereas Amazon and Netflix seem to pick one or two shows per season to get a piece of the pie that way.

The way CR and Funi have been trying to outdo each other, Funi by moving to simuldubs and CR by basically rolling everything into a single subscription, it just seemed like they were going to kill each other before Amazon or Netflix would have been in a position to take over the industry.

Man this partnership is such good news, all these Crunchyroll shows having broadcast dubs is wonderful news!

We’ve also announced upcoming Broadcast Dubs for 91 Days, Orange, and Mob Psycho 100.

I know what I will re-watch soon.

Line_HTX

Awww SHIET, I can rewatch 91 Days in its proper audio, Godfather style!

I'm gonna make an offer ya can't refuse.

Netflix was one thing, but I was not at all please about Amazon Prime Video jumping into the fray with Kabaneri. Hope this partnership keeps them at bay.

Aki-at

This partnership is brilliant news. The true megaton this week deserved after the anticlimatic showcase yesterday.

I'd definitely rewatch Mob Psycho in English like I am with One Punch Man.

DiGiKerot

Man, I haven't listened to ANN in so long.

Are Amazon and Netflix interested in getting into the volume game though? The primary advantage that CR/Funi has is that they try to grab as many shows as they can and pump them out, whereas Amazon and Netflix seem to pick one or two shows per season to get a piece of the pie that way.

Even if Amazon and Netflix aren't interested in the bulk, the costs of the marquee titles like My Hero Academia that Crunchy and Funi look to license to drive interest are reputedly getting insane, and buy-in at the production committee level for things like Kiznaiver (particularly when it seems to have grabbed them some merch rights) likely wasn't cheap either.

I mean. volume of content is great for discovery, and keeping people at your site when they are actually there already, but you need to have something big enough to actually bring your site to peoples attention, you know?

(Remember that Netflix are already starting to tie up some pretty big nerd-friendly titles like Little Witch Academia TV as well)

Wanderer5

Despite preferring to watch subs for now, 91 Days dub would be pretty damn sweet especially. I would probably check out Funimation once in a while then, and sounds like they lower the cost for their subscription apparently?

Ugh the backlog is going to increase now.XD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even if Amazon and Netflix aren't interested in the bulk, the costs of the marquee titles like My Hero Academia that Crunchy and Funi look to license to drive interest are reputedly getting insane, and buy-in at the production committee level for things like Kiznaiver (particularly when it seems to have grabbed them some merch rights) likely wasn't cheap either.

I mean. volume of content is great for discovery, and keeping people at your site when they are actually there already, but you need to have something big enough to actually bring your site to peoples attention, you know?

I think I buy the fact that Funi and CR were killing each other by competing with each other (much like the old ADV days in the 2000s) more than them being worried about a big company disrupting the business model.

I don't know what Amazon does, but the fact that Netflix seems to only do one random show a season and then "air" that season months later after it's aired and they have the dub locked, makes me feel like they are different models. Like if Netflix locked up Gundam, Love Live, or One Piece or any of the "big" titles then maybe I can see them being a threat... but is Kiznaiver really this huge thing that anime fans were clamoring for? (I genuinely don't know... but I can't imagine anyone subscribing to Netflix just to watch Knights of Sidonia)

I don't know what Amazon does, but the fact that Netflix seems to only do one random show a season and then "air" that season months later after it's aired and they have the dub locked, makes me feel like they are different models. Like if Netflix locked up Gundam, Love Live, or One Piece or any of the "big" titles then maybe I can see them being a threat... but is Kiznaiver really this huge thing that anime fans were clamoring for? (I genuinely don't know... but I can't imagine anyone subscribing to Netflix just to watch Knights of Sidonia)

Well, didn't Amazon get exclusive rights to all NoitaminA stuff?

Squishy3

(Remember that Netflix are already starting to tie up some pretty big nerd-friendly titles like Little Witch Academia TV as well)
I think Funimation spending so much on MHA is a little bit different than CR being in at the production level on stuff like Kiznaiver, since obviously CR gains more than just simulcast and dub rights from a deal like that, at the very least.

Have you forgotten you are on a video game internet forum?

Good point.

I'm just a state of annoyance at anime fans right now, because I was just exposed to a Reddit thread where people are claiming that animator Chikashi Kubota is either a liar or idiot for stating in an interview that all TV anime have roughly the same budget.

Line_HTX

I'm not even a Japanese voice purist, but I wonder how they would make a Konosuba dub sound as good as the original. That show's voice acting was elevated the comedic bits for me.

Hmm... yeah, comedy series are more difficult. Hell, I'm trying to imagine what Galko-chan would be like.

Good point.

I'm just a state of annoyance at anime fans right now, because I was just exposed to a Reddit thread where people are claiming that animator Chikashi Kubota is either a liar or idiot for stating in an interview that all TV anime have roughly the same budget.

When there's a language barrier, people fall into the trap of making up their own reasons why things are like they are and stick to their guns staunchly. Like how people swear up and down every manga series is ruined because of "editors."

Thoraxes

Well, at least I can relegate all of CR's home video releases to "buy when the S.A.V.E. edition comes out."

Pretty disappointed with that (was really hoping for another player in the market with good encodes), but I guess now that I'm importing more anime I'll save money on domestic releases.

The streaming stuff sure is cool though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, didn't Amazon get exclusive rights to all NoitaminA stuff?
Yeah, but... like, maybe this is just the animegaf bubble, but does the noitamina name mean anything to anyone now?
Maybe they are assuming that Netflix and Amazon will want to start gobbling up licenses, but I guess I haven't seen any indication that they've been planning to do that. Certainly I can't imagine someone paying for Prime or Netflix if the only thing you want to do is watch anime.

DiGiKerot

I think Funimation spending so much on MHA is a little bit different than CR being in at the production level on stuff like Kiznaiver, since obviously CR gains more than just simulcast and dub rights from a deal like that, at the very least.

Even when it does, it's been pretty much consistently stated by those closer to the industry that these moves were necessary both in order to actually to ensure content, but also their expenses. If you want a more appropriate comparison, Funi invested heavily in Dimension W as well, but the basic point is that when it starts to get more attractive to invest in anime at point of production than it does to license it later, it raises questions about the current environment in which things are being produced and license.

But, yeah, it's something that's a little fruitless to talk about from the point of view of a fan, since it's probably moves a couple of years away from fruition that we have no sight of that's driving some of these decisions, and also because I've been trying to start this game of ToCSII for the last 90 minutes and have barely got three text boxes into the first scene.

phaze

Casshern Sins 06
0191243ns07.jpg
019126ubsb1.jpg
0191296tsax.jpg
019136n2saz.jpg

You can tell it's a good show by the fact that characters eyes constantly light up like a christmas tree.

Casshern Sins 07

Between the atmosphere, the woman's story and the bell and tower, this one kinda felt like one of the better Mushishi episodes and that's damn high praise in my book. Probably my favourite as of yet.

Yeah, but... like, maybe this is just the animegaf bubble, but does the noitamina name mean anything to anyone now?
Maybe they are assuming that Netflix and Amazon will want to start gobbling up licenses, but I guess I haven't seen any indication that they've been planning to do that. Certainly I can't imagine someone paying for Prime or Netflix if the only thing you want to do is watch anime.

Maybe they've started feeling some pressure from Netflix and Amazon in the bidding process for shows? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom