• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Damn, I work through almost all of it. Ah, well, thank goodness for VODs.

Here's hoping for another awesome turnout!

What are some must sees this year?

Hard to say. There's no clear indication of whether or not a game is a good speedgame to watch.

If it's an amazing game, speedruns of it could be boring. If it's dreck a speedrun of it could be amazing.

And with so many games over an entire week there are so many that could be great.

Tomorrow alone has Demon's Souls, Bastion, DK: Tropical Freeze, Metroid Prime and Catherine.

And the ones I didn't mention could STILL be fun runs.

In here for Tropical Freeze.
3AQmK.gif

tci

What are some must sees this year?
Someone on Reddit did a good summary of some of it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4qyx5d/sgdq_the_speedrunning_marathon_for_doctors/

• Half-Coordinated was an excellent runner at AGDQ in January. He has hemiparisis (weakness in half of his body, sort of like a stroke victim) and he speedruns games with one hand. He did Transformers Devastation at AGDQ and it was a blast. He's an inspirational runner and very entertaining to boot. I don't know what game he is playing this year, but he's very much interesting to watch regardless.
  • Bounceyboy is really good at Super Mario Sunshine, and SMS is one of the best Speedrunning games because it is an excellent mix of AI cycle-manipulations, physics and hitbox glitches, and sheer mastery of the game's incredible movement system. I always make time for SMS every year because its that amazing to watch.
  • SpikeVegeta & friends playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. He's entertaining and one of the main-liners every GDQ. If its a race, a relay, or just a bunch of people on the couch, its likely to be fun to watch.
  • Wobs23 is playing CloudBuilt, which is an excellent parkour game. Its on Steam Sale for cheap, pick it up. That said, its going to have a lot of abused movement and some very spectacular performance.
  • Tetris: Grand Master Series. I don't play tetris, I don't like tetris, but I love watching Grandmaster Tetris. Its insane to watch these guys destroy a nigh-unbeatable game. They don't always win each year, but that's what makes it special. Its usually a race, but regardless its going to be cool.
  • TASBlock. Always watch it. Bunch of games being exploited to the furthest, which is always entertaining. Last GDQ they rewrote code on the fly to manipulate Megaman 1. No clue what they're doing this year, but suffice to say its interesting if not exciting.
  • Always always always watch Super Metroid on Saturday. Hype is real and we must kill the Animals.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah i'm pretty much watching only those

Loved HalfCoordinated's Vanquish run at AGDQ

Also, SGDQ 2015 gifted us of that one Crash 2 run, so yeah, always in for some awkwardness!
I don't remember the game, but I just hope that commentator doesn't come back who was constantly interrupting and talking over the runner (who had actual insightful comments).

Mugen08

The GDQ:s are great fun to watch. Will be there and donate, perhaps not during the remaining Euro Cup semi/finals though.

Cindro

Fantastic, the two GDQs are always bright spots for me every year.

Doctors Without Borders is a rad charity too. Can't wait.

Bl@de

Checking in for another SGDQ. Opening day with Demon's Souls? Hype already at critical levels!!!

Lucumo

A shame there aren't more races. Not sure whether I will watch this year (probably when I'm bored), I've already seen most games several times.

konjak

I don't remember the game, but I just hope that commentator doesn't come back who was constantly interrupting and talking over the runner (who had actual insightful comments).

This happens a lot, in varying degrees, to me. There are commentators that will uninvitedly "continue" the runner's (or other commentators') bit of info they just started. I don't know why they feel they need to take over the same fact mid-sentence. I like puwexil runs, but he's one who's pretty bad with that.

Is it still possible to break records for retro games?

They find new glitches or strategies even in a lot of older games, so never count it out.

SGDQ is more for the games that don't get big runs at AGDQ and more experimental "well, let's try this one" and exposure for other runners.

Please don't be that person who's like "Siglemic and Narcissa aren't there? Oh man there's nothing to watch"

Just because you haven't heard of a runner or seen a game run doesn't mean it's not worth it. Live a little, try watching something new.

Crazy awesome schedule this year, almost no filler, but enough to keep things interesting. Esp looking forward to the megaman block

Top Bottom