• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

I've been drifting in and out of the GDQ streams the past week, only caught the last 20 minutes of the Bonesaw stream but man that was a thing of beauty to watch. Hope they put up the VODs soon, I want to watch the whole run now.

Velcro Fly

I'm betting the next GDQ drama is going to be salty people who didn't get runs in mad that Bonesaw did with whatever went on there.

You guys know what will be just as good? Seeing posts throughout the thread of people watching that run later on.

That'll be me. I'm at work at the moment so can't watch. I've seen most of every GDQ so far but barely watched any AGDQ 2016 and haven't seen any of SGDQ 2016 so far, found myself losing interest. You guys have me convinced to watch this run at least though. Bonesaw's runs have been pretty fun in the past.

I'm betting the next GDQ drama is going to be salty people who didn't get runs in mad that Bonesaw did with whatever went on there.

already happened

yup.jpg

Checking in to say that that was by far the best thing I've ever seen in several years of watching GDQ. Wow. I really hope they aren't too harsh on him, that was truly one for the books.

This stuff never surprises me cause there are so many goof balls in the speedrunning community. Throw them all in a hotel for a week with some coming internationally and these shenanigans are bound to happen.

ZangBa

It was OK, but I don't really see why he should be banned. There's already a lot of boring runs with boring commentary. A little variety is good to keep things interesting and donaters seemed to like it.

Well honestly if you're interested in the speedrunning part of GDQ this was just totally uninteresting.

if one is interested in speed running one knows that none of these runs would compare to the ones the runners do in their own time, and the PBs one may have already watched.

People didn't really complain about the runner who nearly if not did go over the estimate doing Sands of Time in the last AGDQ because he kept having issues with the glitches. That may be because he didn't look like he was having a good time doing it?

Well honestly if you're interested in the speedrunning part of GDQ this was just totally uninteresting.

At this point, between the races, blindfold runs, TAS Block TGM, Stepmania, etc, there's a LOT of things that might disinterest someone looking for pure speedruns (despite those still making up the vast majority of the marathon), so I think there's enough room at this point for a comedy LP or two...

Wilsongt

Commentary can make or break a good speedrun to watch, though. There are some great speedrunners, but who just suck at commentary. Then there are some mediocre speedrunners, who have fantastic commentary and make it enjoyable to watch.

gonna throw in my two cents here, i started watching gdqs in like 2013? and that was one of the better ones for sure. If it was every run yeah that would be awful, but for a 2 hour game at the late hours on the night, it was much appreciated.

Heck he even went out of his way to show us neat tricks and still made it under estimate :)

Commentary can make or break a good speedrun to watch, though. There are some great speedrunners, but who just suck at commentary. Then there are some mediocre speedrunners, who have fantastic commentary and make it enjoyable to watch.

people were calling it a 'lets play' just because it was entertaining

think about that for a second

if a speedrun is entertaining, then it isn't a speedrun anymore, it's a 'lets play'. Literally no fun allowed with some people.

Wilsongt

gonna throw in my two cents here, i started watching gdqs in like 2013? and that was one of the better ones for sure. If it was every run yeah that would be awful, but for a 2 hour game at the late hours on the night, it was much appreciated.

Heck he even went out of his way to show us neat tricks and still made it under estimate :)

Besides, when you're pulling NA graveyard shift/morning EU shift then you need to make sure it's at least somewhat entertaining.

if a speedrun is entertaining, then it isn't a speedrun anymore, it's a 'lets play'. Literally no fun allowed with some people.

I'd like to see those people 100% the game in 2 hours, then. People are odd. It was fun, it was under estimate, and it was a speedrun.

if one is interested in speed running one knows that none of these runs would compare to the ones the runners do in their own time, and the PBs one may have already watched.

People didn't really complain about the runner who nearly if not did go over the estimate doing Sands of Time in the last AGDQ because he kept having issues with the glitches. That may be because he didn't look like he was having a good time doing it?
That Sands of Time run is what this reminded me of. Everyone was having fun so it was entertaining still.

The runner was 20 minutes off his PB and 30 off the World Record. If the run was super technical that required difficult skips and had the potential for massive time losses if you screwed up I could understand but the runner isn't even that knowledgeable about the game (There was apparently a skip that literally everyone besides him was doing for years because he didn't know it existed) and ran it terribly. It was basically a glorified let's play and he didn't really make any attempt to even explain the run. I can understand the appeal to some but it's pretty disrespectful to the people out there that spent countless hours trying to refine their runs for GDQ submissions and got turned down when that was a run they ended up letting in.

The runner was 20 minutes off his PB and 30 off the World Record. If the run was super technical that required difficult skips and had the potential for massive time losses if you screwed up I could understand but the runner isn't even that knowledgeable about the game (There was apparently a skip that literally everyone besides him was doing for years because he didn't know it existed) and ran it terribly. It was basically a glorified let's play and he didn't really make any attempt to even explain the run. I can understand the appeal to some but it's pretty disrespectful to the people out there that spent countless hours trying to refine their runs for GDQ submissions and got turned down when that was a run they ended up letting in.

he probably spent countless hours refining his run. He was also probably just nervous and/or tired.

It was entertaining while also being a speedrun. Just because it wasn't speedran how you wanted it to be doesn't make it any less of a speedrun.

Alrus

Dude it's fine if you liked it. I didn't, I like GDQ for the way games a broken down and how tricks are explained. I understand purely informative runs are also pretty boring but I think there's a way to balance both so everyone can enjoy your run.

I was just saying I understood that some people could be pissed about it, I'm not saying he should never be invited again or anything of the sort.

Ionic

A guy plays through the entirety of Jak and Daxter in slightly over two hours and there are people saying "Oh I thought this stream was about speedrunning!". As if the guy wasn't using any advanced techniques or zany glitches typical of a speedrun...

Dude it's fine if you liked it. I didn't, I like GDQ for the way games a broken down and how tricks are explained. I understand purely informative runs are also pretty boring but I think there's a way to balance both so everyone can enjoy your run.

150ish hours of speedruns I think we can stick a not so serious one in there. Especially in the graveyard shift where its sorley needed.

Xeteh

A guy plays through the entirety of Jak and Daxter in slightly over two hours and there are people saying "Oh I thought this stream was about speedrunning!". As if the guy wasn't using any advanced techniques or zany glitches typical of a speedrun...

He had the GALL to have fun while doing it though.

Yeah, IIRC it usually takes me six to eight hours to 100% Jak. Howlongtobeat.com has it at 10+ hours.

mebizzle

That run was great fun to watch. You could tell they were operating on very little sleep and were nervous as hell but he still ended up under estimate so its not like it was a huge thing. People that are bashing it because it wasnt enough of a speedrun need to stop and think about all of the other non-"pure" speedruns there are all over this event. Hell, during the Doom run they were talking about how that run was completely invalid by that community's standards anyway.

Top Bottom