• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

Velcro Fly

it isn't about the speedrun

it is about the charity. how much money was raised? and wasn't there a donation incentive?

the runner himself is getting hung up on the run and he feels awful for how it went. but at the end of the day the charity is getting a lot of money as a result and that is all that matters.

we need MORE of this at GDQ and not less. it has become a sterilized no fun zone the past few years instead of the fun and hilarious good times it was in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwEkIOGakZE

more of that please

it isn't about the speedrun

it is about the charity. how much money was raised? and wasn't there a donation incentive?

the runner himself is getting hung up on the run and he feels awful for how it went. but at the end of the day the charity is getting a lot of money as a result and that is all that matters.

we need MORE of this at GDQ and not less. it has become a sterilized no fun zone the past few years instead of the fun and hilarious good times it was in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwEkIOGakZE

more of that please

agree 100% there was a definite shift in i guess you would call it tone when it started getting bigger and bigger then they incorporated GDQ and the organizers were hired as paid staff by (prevent cancer foundation?). It blew up and its absolutley a much more serious thing now.

I think that just came with territory of making in the area of a million dollars a marathon. It seems like while the event at the hotel itself is very community focused still the stream is very much "serious business time"

I say this as someone who vastly prefers the early years of GDQ and I really don't watch now unless its a runner I watch regularly already so Im biased.

man i want to like caveman, but like i feel like he is always right on the edge of saying another thing that will get him in trouble...

man i want to like caveman, but like i feel like he is always right on the edge of saying another thing that will get him in trouble...

Did he actually get in trouble for anything he's said before? Thought he was there every year and in a late spot just for his humor.

I feel like he's really trying to go for a self-depreciating humor style that someone like Witwix did during his runs but he doesn't really have the charisma to pull it off. He would be doing fine but then he nails a difficult trick without out really selling it and then acts like the crowd was supposed to know it's tough. The run won't go down in infamy like his previous run or the guy who did the Crash run but it's kinda uncomfortable. I feel like he would really benefit having a good couch behind him selling the tricks so he didn't have to carry the run himself but it appears he doesn't really know anyone that showed up that can do that.

I feel like he's really trying to go for a self-depreciating humor style that someone like Witwix did during his runs but he doesn't really have the charisma to pull it off. He would be doing fine but then he nails a difficult trick without out really selling it and then acts like the crowd was supposed to know it's tough. The run won't go down in infamy like his previous run or the guy who did the Crash run but it's kinda uncomfortable. I feel like he would really benefit having a good couch behind him selling the tricks so he didn't have to carry the run himself but it appears he doesn't really know anyone that showed up that can do that.

i think this summarizes my thoughts well. Its a shame too cuz he seems nice enough and he plays games that are more on the unique side

I actually laughed out loud when the stream cut from caveman doing jokes to the room full of empty seats. Poor guys always gets late spots.

That was so rough, i mean im not gonna blame him, at this time of night this is what it usually looks like, but still super jarring

I always felt that he's got a kind of anti-humor thing going on that I find very funny. That only works if it's intentional though, but I do think it is.

SZips

What was wrong with it? I went to get a food when they were fumbling with a jump for a while at the start.
Apparently DXTory was running and limiting the framerate. Once disabled it bumped the framerate up to what he needed for the trick to work.

Fasty

Not sure why they do Starfox runs. What's the difference between a fast run and a slow run in an autoscrolling game? Pretty boring to watch

64bitbros

Might be just me as i'm European, but sometimes i have a hard time understanding Mr_Shasta. I really enjoyed the Max Payne 2 playthrough though.

Veldin

Might be just me as i'm European, but sometimes i have a hard time understanding Mr_Shasta. I really enjoyed the Max Payne 2 playthrough though.

I'm thoroughly American and he's hard to understand for me too. He's talking way too fast and slurring words really hard so it's tough to follow.

jett

D-Member
Did they just shove in Illusion of Gaia into the schedule? Suddenly everything's happening two hours later.

Steejee

Every time I watch a Zelda II speedrun, I have the urge to play through it again.

I think if I were to pick a game to speedrun Zelda II would be it.

LordAlu

I learnt the first two palaces of Zelda II, and very much enjoyed it. Can't remember why I stopped.

I should really pick it up again.

Top Bottom