• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

Crayolan

Tetris Block was great, a shame they're not coming back for a while. "No new game" is a pretty poor excuse IMO, sounds like GDQ just doesn't want to deal with the difficult setup.

Recall

Tetris Block was great, a shame they're not coming back for a while. "No new game" is a pretty poor excuse IMO, sounds like GDQ just doesn't want to deal with the difficult setup.

I love how people can spin things.

Kevin is done with Tetris. He has had enough and they are giving it a break.

It has zero, totally zero with set up time.

I can imagine it's just as big a hassle for the board owners to fly their $3k worth of equipment to/from the venue twice a year. Taking a break to breathe while the new gen of TGM players cultivate their skills seems appropriate.

Crayolan

I love how people can spin things.

Kevin is done with Tetris. He has had enough and they are giving it a break.

It has zero, totally zero with set up time.

I know there are very few people who can play it at such a high skill level, but is the game really so centralized around a single player that if he chooses not to go there's no point in continuing?

I can imagine it's just as big a hassle for the board owners to fly their $3k worth of equipment to/from the venue twice a year. Taking a break to breathe while the new gen of TGM players cultivate their skills seems appropriate.

This makes more sense. Fair enough.

Brashnir

I enjoyed Trials in previous years but custom maps don't really suit the speed run setting.

yeah. This is super lame.

edit - and there's still an hour of it left? what were they thinking?

edit edit - If this was a blind race/relay race or something like Mario Maker at AGDQ it might have been cool. Or if it was like 15 minutes long.

neshcom

Banned
Trials seems like a game that would be impossible to speedrun because of how random and physics-y it is. While these custom maps are impressive, the whole of this block is underwhelming...

Patryn

Trials seems like a game that would be impossible to speedrun because of how random and physics-y it is. While these custom maps are impressive, the whole of this block is underwhelming...

Pick a set of courses and make it a race between multiple people. That's an easy way to make it entertaining and work in a GDQ.

TheBlazeJP can give good commentary and in a previous GDQ he was doing some insanely difficult tracks in great times. Because these are just custom levels it doesn't seem like there's much to say. Maybe when they get to some of the hard tracks and do invisible bike it will pick up hopefully.

Recall

Pick a set of courses and make it a race between multiple people. That's an easy way to make it entertaining and work in a GDQ.

Yep same 5-8 tracks and done.

15 minutes and you've had your fill. Instead we have 90 minutes of something with no goal.

Kumubou

The physics are actually 100% consistent and a large part of the game is learning all of the nuances in regards to manipulating the bike to navigate the environment as quickly as possible.

The series' base levels have been run in the past at previous GDQs with no issues -- it sounds like this run is just more of an issue of bad presentation, more than anything else. This being planned for 90 minutes is almost certainly too goddamn long, though.

Delstius

Would have been interesting as a race and with a decent commentary.

Just showing lots of custom levels without much context about it or the game, coupled with the akward silence is boring at best.

What is this pam meme?

Polygon has a series of videos created by the McElroy brothers called "Monster Factory" where they mess around with games involving create-a-characters. They did a series of episodes in Fallout 4 with a character named "The Final Pam", and it looks like people have been donating for it to be the filename during the Fallout 4 run. Made me chuckle.

neshcom

Banned
Nope. Replays in the game specifically show inputs, it's as consistent as whatever you actually define as consistent.

The physics are actually 100% consistent and a large part of the game is learning all of the nuances in regards to manipulating the bike to navigate the environment as quickly as possible.

The series' base levels have been run in the past at previous GDQs with no issues -- it sounds like this run is just more of an issue of bad presentation, more than anything else. This being planned for 90 minutes is almost certainly too goddamn long, though.
"Random" is definitely the wrong word. My intent was that the range of inputs/positioning is so high that it would be tough to get workable, repeatable windows.

Top Bottom