• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

The issue doesn't magically disappear by ignoring it.

That is not even remotely what I'm suggesting.

Ignoring Twitch Chat doesn't mean you aren't aware of it's existence and want it to change. It means you don't need to reconfirm things you already know while still wanting it to change.

Reading Twitch chat doesn't do anything productive, that's the point. You get angry, which you already were or know about it, and it doesn't create some grand impetus where you weren't going to do anything to try and change it and are now going to contact Twitch mods or write an article or anything you weren't already doing before.

You post about how they're shit and literally nothing fucking happens.

So just hate them and want them to change and work towards it without doing the useless thing of reading it to make yourself angry at a situation you already knew about.

Blizzard

Banned
I see The Witness made the incentive thing, but it's no wonder it's in the middle of the night. Aren't they just going to skip
to the ending
? There will be practically no gameplay which is probably why it's predicted 5 minutes long.

For anyone who hasn't played the game, I'd actually recommend not watching those 5 minutes. The game is really carefully designed, and the ending they'll show will ruin a surprise that's rewarding to unlock on your own.

KarmaCow

I see The Witness made the incentive thing, but it's no wonder it's in the middle of the night. Aren't they just going to skip
to the ending
? There will be practically no gameplay which is probably why it's predicted 5 minutes long.

For anyone who hasn't played the game, I'd actually recommend not watching those 5 minutes. The game is really carefully designed, and the ending they'll show will ruin a surprise that's rewarding to unlock on your own.

The estimate is 25min so it's probably not what you're thinking. Still, it's kinda dumb to watch the speedrun if you want to play the game fresh because it's robbing yourself of the entire appeal of the game.

Also unrelated to SGDQ but is GAF taking forever to load today for anyone else? It just seems to be GAF which is weird.

ScribbleD

Mark of the Ninja really is fantastic, and so is this run. Also, I didn't catch the first few minutes. It sounds like he's donating $20 for every time he gets detected?

Blizzard

Banned
The estimate is 25min so it's probably not what you're thinking. Still, it's kinda dumb to watch the speedrun if you want to play the game fresh because it's robbing yourself of the entire appeal of the game.
I could have sworn it said 5:00 a while ago. My bad!

neshcom

Banned
Mark of the Ninja really is fantastic, and so is this run. Also, I didn't catch the first few minutes. It sounds like he's donating $20 for every time he gets detected?

Yeah, he's got a donation amount set up for detections, kills, and anything else that would invalidate his run. Missed how much, but $20 sounds right.

SZips

I mean the dude is free to donate or not as he sees fit, but making a production out of how you were totally going to give all this money to charity but won't because you're protesting Twitch or whatever is :rolleyes worthy.
He's nothing more than an ignorant, pandering, attention seeker.

Back to important matters: Looking forward to this Necrodancer run!

Also unrelated to SGDQ but is GAF taking forever to load today for anyone else? It just seems to be GAF which is weird.
It's been very slow the past few days.

64bitbros

Can someone explain to me what this 'save the animals/kill the animals' is all about? I don't get it. Loved the Mark of the Ninja run, man those skills.

Can someone explain to me what this 'save the animals/kill the animals' is all about?

Towards the end of Super Metroid, in the escape sequence, you have the option of opening a door so that animals can escape or leaving them to perish in the destruction of the planet. It's traditional in GDQs to have Super Metroid be the penultimate run and to have people donate to decide what the runner does.

Can someone explain to me what this 'save the animals/kill the animals' is all about? I don't get it. Loved the Mark of the Ninja run, man those skills.

At the end of Super Metroid you can do a thing that take s a few seconds to save the animals in one room before the place blows up.

If somehow one of the racers is at a WR pace, they could ignore the donation incentive. (Save the animals takes a little bit of time)

SJRB

Gold Member
Markus "Notch" Persson, who always makes huge donations to GDQ events, is refusing to donate during SGDQ 2016 to protest Twitch's new "bits" system. He implies he was planning to donate $30,000. Seems a bit misguided in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/750992494469545985

...the bits system is garbage, but I'm not sure how "punishing" SGDQ will help since they have nothing to do with any of that.

Notch, don't be a jerk.

Wow, save/kill is super close right now. 46478 v 46235

...the bits system is garbage, but I'm not sure how "punishing" SGDQ will help since they have nothing to do with any of that.

Notch, don't be a jerk.

Same as any protest really. If it starts a conversation or gets more people involved in the conversation then it's productive. Although admittedly protests always come at a cost.

PensOwl

Banned
Is Shaddex really well known? It seems like he's running a good amount of games that are all pretty different from each other

Raybunny

Notch, don't be a jerk.

Taking into consideration his past tweets, I would not give him attention ( not that I ever did) anymore.

Got a beef with a company? Lets derail and use a charity to make it relevant.

I will donate unlike him. 30k... of old franc cents ? 46 euros ;)

edit:words

Sorry Danny, the best soundtrack won :D

It's always super close.

Oh, I've never paid attention I guess.

Speaking of paying attention or lack thereof, I just realized Jonathan Blow blocked me on Twitter several months ago. lol (he was lamenting being involved in game development rather than an actually important field like artificial intelligence, so I said "this is why people think you're pretentious"). Kind of sours me on watching the Witness run, but whatever.

Blizzard

Banned
At the end of Super Metroid you can do a thing that take s a few seconds to save the animals in one room before the place blows up.

If somehow one of the racers is at a WR pace, they could ignore the donation incentive. (Save the animals takes a little bit of time)
I don't remember one of the runners ever being at WR paces, but it'd be funny to see one of the runners ignore the donation incentive and save the animals instead -- given that guy earlier already ignored the pacifist donation incentive and killed a bunch of stuff instead.

Speaking of paying attention or lack thereof, I just realized Jonathan Blow blocked me on Twitter several months ago. lol (he was lamenting being involved in game development rather than an actually important field like artificial intelligence, so I said "this is why people think you're pretentious"). Kind of sours me on watching the Witness run, but whatever.
I think The Witness is WELL worth playing for how incredibly thoughtful the design is, even though Blow might come off as obnoxious.

I think The Witness is WELL worth playing for how incredibly detailed the design is, even though Blow might come off as obnoxious.

The Witness is a masterclass in environment design, puzzle design, and teaching gameplay mechanics via logical progression.

If Blow blocked me on Twitter, I'd still play it. But I don't use Twitter because I feel very few messages can be decently expressed in such a limited format.

I think The Witness is WELL worth playing for how incredibly thoughtful the design is, even though Blow might come off as obnoxious.

lol I've finished the game three times already. It's a fantastic game. That's why Blow complaining about being a dev upset me at the time. But whatever. Gotta separate the art from the artist :)

I've never played this game, so I gotta ask:

Where do the solutions to these puzzles come from? Like, if you're playing the game casually, how do you figure out the correct patterns?

Just curious.

It's hard to explain because each area starts with a set of panels that explain the mechanics of that specific area. Of course, things get complicated quickly. It's the type of game that teaches you without telling you anything, you just sort of get it and learn.

I've never played this game, so I gotta ask:

Where do the solutions to these puzzles come from? Like, if you're playing the game casually, how do you figure out the correct patterns?

Just curious.

It varies from puzzle to puzzle. But, situational cues, puzzle logic that gets explained to you by completing some of the earlier puzzles, geographical elements, etc.

You should play it though :D

Blizzard

Banned
The mechanic learning is a big part of the design. You learn the very early mechanics because you encounter the puzzles and they're simple, but each new area adds more symbols that you have to puzzle out.

CassSept

What's the deal with Jak and Daxter run? I don't know whether or not to watch it and I've heard veeery conflicting opinions.

Top Bottom