• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

It's just getting caught up in the name. The real distinction it's basically making is not using WW which breaks the game wide open.
That's not really true though, since Any% (No Wrong Warp) is it's own separate category, that many focuses on using a different major glitch known as Reverse Bottle Adventure to get through the run that uses a glitch to turn your Bottle into other items you need. Then I believe there's also Any% No WW/RBA, which is using neither of those major glitches but using minor ones like superslides and bomb hovering... OoT speedrunning is weird, basically. :p

urge26

I'm having pepsiman withdrawl.... the lore, the theme song, the cutscenes.... seriously I had no idea this game excited and being able to watch that run in it's entirety was legendary.

jnWake

It's funny that they have to repeat "This is not a glitch" all the time. Should give the category a name that doesn't require them to justify all the tricks they do haha.

Crayolan

It's funny that they have to repeat "This is not a glitch" all the time. Should give the category a name that doesn't require them to justify all the tricks they do haha.

Well some things are just exploits working around the existing game systems rather than breaking the game, despite looking like the latter. There were people in the chat suspicious of even basic stuff like save warping which is clearly intended and not a glitch by any definition.

imBask

Banned
i'm fine with a run including an arbitrary set of accepted glitches, but the "glitchless" title is really rubbing people the wrong way lol

Crayolan

So the developers really intended for you to boost through the air using bombs? Hmmm

It is intended for link to be knocked back (or forward, depending on your momentum) when hit by a bomb in midair, yes. The players are just using this mechanic in a way the devs did not account for.

"it's not a glitch, it's a exploit!!"

?????????????

A glitch is breaking the game in an unintended way, or as the runners said "creating a new mechanic". (someone else can probably give a better definition...)

An exploit is using the existing game mechanics in a way the devs did not expect you to be able to.

Speevy

Banned
I've often wondered if the best players in games like these see lines of code instead of characters and environments, like they're staring at the Matrix.

They say stuff like "Yeah, the game is wanting me to have the so and so item so it can do a cutscene but I trick it by backflipping and equipping a bomb at the same time so that it counts down and when it gets to 0 it can't find the item. It then warps me through the wall to the final boss."

Like, how do you first figure something like that out?

jediyoshi

That's not really true though, since Any% (No Wrong Warp) is it's own separate category, that many focuses on using a different major glitch known as Reverse Bottle Adventure to get through the run that uses a glitch to turn your Bottle into other items you need. Then I believe there's also Any% No WW/RBA, which is using neither of those major glitches but using minor ones like superslides and bomb hovering... OoT speedrunning is weird, basically. :p

Between saying "glitchless" and "any% no ww but some other things to keep it interesting that don't completely break the game the way ww would", there's probably a better middle ground somewhere. The fact that people aren't instead spamming an obvious name it should be instead should highlight the issue to people lol

I've often wondered if the best players in games like these see lines of code instead of characters and environments, like they're staring at the Matrix.

They say stuff like "Yeah, the game is wanting me to have the so and so item so it can do a cutscene but I trick it by backflipping and equipping a bomb at the same time so that it counts down and when it gets to 0 it can't find the item. It then warps me through the wall to the final boss."

Like, how do you first figure something like that out?

Usually when you do glitches and skips in games, you can apply that to other games and then improvise on your methods. The other side of it would be using TAS as well(Tool Assisted Speedrun) which is what we'll see later in the schedule.

Nasbin

Glitchless is so self-evidently stupid that it feels like this run was selected out of spite for the people who demand to see OoT at every GDQ. No WW/MST is infinitely better than this meme category.

Released

I like how any time any% OoT runs have been posted on this forum, people whine about the excessive glitch abuse, but along comes a category that reigns the glitching in and people still whine lol.

Anyways, it should be evident that determining what is and isn't a glitch is actually extremely messy and subjective. Some things are obvious, like wrong warp, but how do you ban crouch stabbing, a move that's in the instruction manual?

XtHZtfz.png

YaiNDHq.png

wfmt89b.png

rw5S4aQ.png

Sweet run, even though it was dull at times but that's because we've seen Zelda one too many times. Other then that, excited for the glitch exhibition!

I'm so pissed. it stormed hard here and knocked out my power right before the Super Mario Maker race. How good was it? At least I can stay up later than I should so I can see Pikmin!

And of course Twitch chat is being... well you know.

Lace

I'm blown away at the rampant sexism in Twitch chat. For such a wonderful cause the chat makes up some of the most disappointing individuals.

Lace

Majority in chat must be 18 under. At least I hope. In that its stupid and cancerous a lot of the time and the kids are venting out.
I don't understand how the chat is allowed to get so poisonous. Some heavy moderation needs to be taken place on the chat.

Top Bottom