• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2017 | July 2 - July 9 | Shout outs to...

MaxiLive

Will they still read out completely depressing stories during a run while shouting out "save the animals"? It's a weird juxtaposition that they've never seemed to get past.

That is the same with most entertainment based donation events. Think of red nose day, here is a depressing 3 minute video of some starving children. Now to throwing pie's at millionaire celebrities!!

Doesn't help that most runners won't be the most socially skilled so tend not to react to donations like that.

I'm guessing it is for doctors with out borders again this year which has less depressing donation comments as they aren't about cancer prevention.

Bouniter

Damn this came round really quick can't wait to see you all in chat again I hope we have a good one, the list sure looks great.

depths20XX

That is the same with most entertainment based donation events. Think of red nose day, here is a depressing 3 minute video of some starving children. Now to throwing pie's at millionaire celebrities!!

Doesn't help that most runners won't be the most socially skilled so tend not to react to donations like that.

I'm guessing it is for doctors with out borders again this year which has less depressing donation comments as they aren't about cancer prevention.

I just don't enjoy it anymore. You have a speedrunner explaining their run and then in comes some donation about how someones family member has died. As someone who has experienced losing people it just comes off in a strange way and I'd rather not hear about it. It's depressing and I don't see why donation messages need to be read out at all other than to satisfy the donators ego.

MaxiLive

I just don't enjoy it anymore. You have a speedrunner explaining their run and then in comes some donation about how someones family member has died. As someone who has experienced losing people it just comes off in a strange way and I'd rather not hear about it. It's depressing and I don't see why donation messages need to be read out at all other than to satisfy the donators ego.

It's core to Twitch and live streaming, every streamer reads out donations. It's ever more common in donation events. I agree it doesn't gel well with the setting but it comes with the territory of streaming/entertainment and hell if it promotes more people to donate then there is nothing wrong with it!

It also helps out a lot of runners during the slow parts of games or where they are fumbling on a trick, it also helps during the 1-5am runs which are usually drawn out and rather quiet.

The stories about peoples' experiences with cancer are tied to the charity that AGDQ benefits, not the one SGDQ benefits. They still happen occasionally but not so often.

Any particular reason for the switch? Just easier to use?
Copy/pasting my answer from the discord cause lazy:

Private Twitch Chats aren't officially supported by Twitch right now. Due to this, they're a tad fiddly and don't work on mobile. This serves as a more supported alternative that works on mobile and won't suddenly disappear if Twitch cuts support. Nothing's permanent, though. If you really prefer twitch chat, let us know.

Copy/pasting my answer from the discord cause lazy:

Private Twitch Chats aren't officially supported by Twitch right now. Due to this, they're a tad fiddly and don't work on mobile. This serves as a more supported alternative that works on mobile and won't suddenly disappear if Twitch cuts support. Nothing's permanent, though. If you really prefer twitch chat, let us know.

Well, two very good reasons. Shame there will be less Kappa, but mobile use and reliable uptime are always a plus.

Well, two very good reasons. Shame there will be less Kappa, but mobile use and reliable uptime are always a plus.
we've added kappa as an emoji, and if you download better discord it will automatically convert twitch text emotes to the emotes themselves. so "Kappa" becomes
Kappa.png
automatically

Vlaphor

I'm really looking forward to this, but for some reason, the schedule is detecting the wrong time zone for me. It's saying UTC -5 instead of -6, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

Edit - Maybe I'm missing it, but is there no Awful Games Done Quick segment this year?

KarmaCow

I thought I might have been able to finish Hollow Knight before the run on Tuesday but the game seems way bigger than I thought.

I haven't gotten a chance to play NieR: Automata yet, so I'm going to have to sit out for the first two hours - which sucks, because I really enjoy watching Halfcoordinated's runs.

ckohler

I've been looking forward to this for months. I don't speedrun but I love to watch games get destroyed by these entertaining experts.

Here's hoping they can keep any politics and potential infighting out of the event and just focus on having a fun time and raise a lot of money for charity.

Samemind

Huh, this is weird. The img links send me to imgur on mobile, i had to get the desktop version for the links to work. Could the op add plain text links as well?

Durante

Halfcoordinated running Nier:A is probably the best ever start to any GDQ event to my tastes.

And the rest of the lineup is pretty cool too. Really looking forward to Ys Origin.

Gonna have to skip out on the opening run as I haven't gotten around to playing Nier: Automata yet and I've somehow avoided all spoilers thus far. Looking forward to some Castlevania and Guacamelee later today, though.

Durante

By the way, for those that care: streamlink is an up-to-date replacement for livestreamer.
(Using it with VLC is generally a much nicer 60 FPS streaming epxerience than any web-based streaming for me)

Mixed2k

By the way, for those that care: streamlink is an up-to-date replacement for livestreamer.
(Using it with VLC is generally a much nicer 60 FPS streaming epxerience than any web-based streaming for me)

AW THANK YOU !
I can finally watch 60 fps streams again on my garbage laptop, god i miss livestreamer.
This thing is a must for anyone with potato pcs.

I am ready for this. In addition to watching SGDQ all week, I'm going to also be completing a dissertation chapter I'm writing about speedrunning. I'm totally going to do this.

Top Bottom