• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Jman014

I had deluded myself into thinking the medication would do it all for me, then I was smacked with worse depression than I had before and I didn't understand. It's fucking awful and this thread has definitely helped me through that. I don't in any way want you to feel like you're being attacked here, at this point I'm more wanting to help you through a single step of overcoming this horrible thing you're going through, because I'm going through it too. If you don't want to watch anime for any reason other than that you're depressed, I'll drop it right now. But if it's the depression stopping you then I want to try to help you in anyway I can, and if by just giving you a little push out of that comfort zone helps at all, I want to at least do that for you.

I love you guys, you're all awesome and have helped me with my depression. I hate getting into this area of trying to give life advice, because mine's a mess and I'm terrible at it, I just really want to give back to this community in anyway I can and I hate to see other people going through the same things I am. Everything I'm saying is in the interest of helping you, the fact that it's anime is entirely secondary at this point.
Dealing with it on a daily basis just SUCKS the life out of me but yeah, thanks man. I mean I guess if there ever were a Fire Emblem Awakening anime I'd have to give it a chance since I liked the game.
Well, I've gotta be somewhere at 10 tomorrow morning, so I'mma go to bed.

Ganbatte Aaron. Ganbatte.

Gnite man

360pages

I don't think you guys are shitting on it. I mean yeah it's not great but I still really like it. It's the only show I've actually cared about and paid attention to, with the last show being ATLA

Yeah I know. The psychiatrist keeps trying to push group classes for me.

Meh not interested at all I guess. No will is like owning almost 250 games on Steam and not even being able to playing fucking Dota 2 that I enjoy and is installed but just can't

Revengeance is sick!

Thanks man. I'll figure something out I guess. And yeah all the people I know are online so yeah.

The show probably just has a special place for you then. Though how can you know something won't replace that/ enhance that without trying some new thing. Talking to you guys, reading Manga and watching some other stuff really improves my mood a lot. Even if I'm pretty much the no gimmick guy of the group.

Googling all these body pillows right now
550.gif

There're so many good ones. I want to get a different one since I don't even like Mirai that much. I wanna get a nice Platinum The Trinity one, since she's the greatest fighting game character of all time.

Dealing with it on a daily basis just SUCKS the life out of me but yeah, thanks man. I mean I guess if there ever were a Fire Emblem Awakening anime I'd have to give it a chance since I liked the game.

It's fucking awful. I barely have the motivation to do or watch the things I already love, getting out of that zone is impossible. I know. If you ever wanna talk, just send me a PM and we can dish about boys and stuff.

Gnite man
Theres a fire emblem anime, not awakening but still fire emblem.

Jman014

The show probably just has a special place for you then. Though how can you know something won't replace that/ enhance that without trying some new thing. Talking to you guys, reading Manga and watching some other stuff really improves my mood a lot. Even if I'm pretty much the no gimmick guy of the group.

Maybe that alleged new series from the co-creators of the show will do it for me. Yeah my night meds help with agitation and mood stabilization so I better take those...though I guess it's kinda fucking too late now...so my bad. The morning meds are for depression.

Meh not interested at all I guess. No will is like owning almost 250 games on Steam and not even being able to playing fucking Dota 2 that I enjoy and is installed but just can't

Thanks man. I'll figure something out I guess. And yeah all the people I know are online so yeah.
I know that so well. For a long while SBF playthroughs were all I could muster up energy for, and I actually am beyond grateful for the guys for doing that.

It's really hard for me to try and give advice here too. The way I solved my situation was kinda different, but I will say finding something you love is one of the few ways I got some real joy during those times. Specifically finding Gurren as my first anime, but I'm definitely not saying you should just do the same, just that you should find something.

Meeting people in person would be nice too, but I realize it's difficult.

Alfebit

Banned
...I just realized Croton will kill us for shitting on Legend of Korra so much. (I don't think it's the worst thing ever, but it's just super average...so much I kind of wished it was super terrible.)
No, he'll find corpses because I would have already killed you. Stop hatin' on my American made waifu.

You're the writer guy. That's like, the strongest gimmick of this group.
Plus you're that guy I talk about SMT4 and EO with :p
No, he'll find corpses because I would have already killed you. Stop hatin' on my American made waifu.
Hometown from our Hometown.
God bless America.

Jman014

There're so many good ones. I want to get a different one since I don't even like Mirai that much. I wanna get a nice Platinum The Trinity one, since she's the greatest fighting game character of all time.

It's fucking awful. I barely have the motivation to do or watch the things I already love, getting out of that zone is impossible. I know. If you ever wanna talk, just send me a PM and we can dish about boys and stuff.
Well I know I need to exercise more and I know that it helps, so I need to use the bike more.
Thanks man
Theres a fire emblem anime, not awakening but still fire emblem.
Eh I'll wait until I get to see Robin, Chrom and Lucina
I know that so well. For a long while SBF playthroughs were all I could muster up energy for, and I actually am beyond grateful for the guys for doing that.

It's really hard for me to try and give advice here too. The way I solved my situation was kinda different, but I will say finding something you love is one of the few ways I got some real joy during those times. Specifically finding Gurren as my first anime, but I'm definitely not saying you should just do the same, just that you should find something.

Meeting people in person would be nice too, but I realize it's difficult.

Yeah man I have the LPs running 24/7 on my laptop.

Yeah I have to work on making some friends in person...but that will happen eventually

ultimax

Like god damn it, i cant choose! These things aren't cheap either, so theres no screwing around here!

360pages

You're the writer guy. That's like, the strongest gimmick of this group.

Maybe, but I want to get better at it, and it's super frustrating when you realize that you aren't as good as you thought or hoped. Even though I write a lot and people read it, it's also that suspicion that if I take the story in a certain way people will hate it. So I get locked up, not really being able to write what I want.

Maybe, but I want to get better at it, and it's super frustrating when you realize that you aren't as good as you thought or hoped. Even though I write a lot and people read it, it's also that suspicion that if I take the story in a certain way people will hate it. So I get locked up, not really being able to write what I want.

Write for you man. If people hate it, that just means you were doing something right that people were able to feel that strong of an emotion. Write the story you want to read and hopefully others will want to read it too, that's about the best you can do for that.

Jman014

For me it's games but for awhile now the spark is just gone for the games that I love and enjoyed/still have installed.

360pages

Write for you man. If people hate it, that just means you were doing something right that people were able to feel that strong of an emotion. Write the story you want to read and hopefully others will want to read it too, that's about the best you can do for that.

You say that...then I remember things like Naruto and how that went to shit in part 2, or how everybody thinks that Dragon Ball is better than Z. (Which I agree)

You say that...then I remember things like Naruto and how that went to shit in part 2, or how everybody thinks that Dragon Ball is better than Z. (Which I agree)

Those are exact examples of why what I said it right. Both had an original concept that the creator was passionate about, then they needed to rely on screaming matches and huge power scale to get ratings. The soul was lost for ratings and the writers pulled a ton of bullshit to justify whatever new direction they randomly felt like going down for the ratings.

I GOOGLED IT AND GOT THAT AND WAS THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED
For me it's games but for awhile now the spark is just gone for the games that I love and enjoyed/still have installed.
I was in that slump forever man. It's not fun and it drove me crazy while I felt dead inside, but the worst part is knowing the only way out is if you attempt to get out from the slump. I took forever to even try new games, but eventually I would get some stuff that clicked and I enjoyed, which just lessens the stress, but often I'd just fall right back into the slump.

There's no easy cure all that I know of. Just an annoying amount of effort, but take my word that you can pull out of it.

360pages

It's my own paranoia. Also, sometimes the author legit goes crazy, less due to ratings and more "it seemed like a good idea at the time" also. It's so much harder to write, because it's like driving in a way. You might make a left turn that you regret wasn't a right one. Once it's down, outside a full rewrite it's there forever.

It's my own paranoia. Also, sometimes the author legit goes crazy, less due to ratings and more "it seemed like a good idea at the time" also. It's so much harder to write, because it's like driving in a way. You might make a left turn that you regret wasn't a right one. Once it's down, outside a full rewrite it's there forever.
Planning things out ahead of time lessens that generally. Most more formal writing has lots of revision too.
Only thing I know and need to know about EO is the Dancer.
No need to actually play it.
I actually really like the character designs, especially non creep ones.

I never really worry about that. When I'm writing my lesbian wrestling stories it's hardly ever a concern. If something is terrible and I regret it I usually make it a way bigger plot point just to spite myself because that's funny.

I accidentally made a character I didn't like, so instead of going back and taking her out, I made her the champion.

360pages

Planning things out ahead of time lessens that generally. Most more formal writing has lots of revision too.
I actually really like the character designs, especially non creep ones.

Funny thing about that, I usually only have a basic outline of events and I fill in the details...too bad, I rarely actually keep with those events and they constantly moving and changing.

360pages

I never really worry about that. When I'm writing my lesbian wrestling stories it's hardly ever a concern. If something is terrible and I regret it I usually make it a way bigger plot point just to spite myself because that's funny.

I accidentally made a character I didn't like, so instead of going back and taking her out, I made her the champion.

What happens is I usually do X...then I wonder, now what? Especially when you want to make a big change /move in the story. (Like moving location of the main characters and changing the goal for the next story arc, maybe even adding a love interest for the main character?) Then you realize how daunting that would be,

Funny thing about that, I usually only have a basic outline of events and I fill in the details...too bad, I rarely actually keep with those events and they constantly moving and changing.

I always have A B C D. Basic rough outline.

Once I have the basic outline I usually break it down into 10 steps. Then 20 chapters from there. Taking into account how long each chapter's minimum should be then catering the trickle of events out to keep the pacing up through all 20 or however many chapters there are.

If I can't get the story out in 20 chapters, then I'm probably trying to do too much and I know I'm not a good enough writer to execute on that yet, so it needs reworking.

All the dialog and inbetween events are almost completely bullshitted on the spot. Like the chapter where the wrestlers have a beyblade tournament to the death.

What happens is I usually do X...then I wonder, now what? Especially when you want to make a big change /move in the story. (Like moving location of the main characters and changing the goal for the next story arc, maybe even adding a love interest for the main character?) Then you realize how daunting that would be,

You're coming at this from the episodic standpoint, as where I'm writing full novels, which makes it difficult to compare, since anytime I want to add a new character or setting I plan the whole thing out from the get go. I also have the entirety of the continuing story planned out as basic outline, but book stories are different from weekly/monthly/whatever chapters with no predetermined end.

*goodwil intensifies*

Mmmmmm.

360pages

I always have A B C D. Basic rough outline.

Once I have the basic outline I usually break it down into 10 steps. Then 20 chapters from there. Taking into account how long each chapter's minimum should be then catering the trickle of events out to keep the pacing up through all 20 or however many chapters there are.

If I can't get the story out in 20 chapters, then I'm probably trying to do too much and I know I'm not a good enough writer to execute on that yet, so it needs reworking.

All the dialog and inbetween events are almost completely bullshitted on the spot. Like the chapter where the wrestlers have a beyblade tournament to the death.

I either write one shots or 60 Chapter stories. Since most of my stories I intestinally don't have a clear ending in sight. They can go on as long as I have ideas for them. That being said. I usually try to close out a story Arc in 13-20 Chapters.

I either write one shots or 60 Chapter stories. Since most of my stories I intestinally don't have a clear ending in sight. They can go on as long as I have ideas for them. That being said. I usually try to close out a story Arc in 13-20 Chapters.

Maybe you just need to change your format. Instead of releasing a chapter here and there, just release full arcs and work then rework it until you're done. That way the issue of going back and changing things you're not happy with is super easy.

360pages

Maybe you just need to change your format. Instead of releasing a chapter here and there, just release full arcs and work then rework it until you're done. That way the issue of going back and changing things you're not happy with is super easy.

The problem is, what defines an arc/even a book. There are usually two arcs in each book. The first Arc stopped with a whimper. (I say the first Arc is pretty much over since I'm going to be moving the story to France for the second half/Arc) I write a chapter once a month usually, and go from there. Mostly for feed back, like a web comic in a way.

The problem is, what defines an arc/even a book. There are usually two arcs in each book. The first Arc stopped with a whimper. (I say the first Arc is pretty much over since I'm going to be moving the story to France for the second half/Arc)

Could go by length or just natural stopping or turning points in the story. Maybe make shorter and more concise arcs that you release at once or at least write all at once then trickle out, then alter what happens next based on reaction if you feel like it, instead of just going with whatever comes to mind.

"Clean", yeesh. I'm not sure if my Shameless level is high enough for this. Have to gain some Shameless XP with some Shame farming.

Not even I'm shameless enough to have a fully nude dakimakura in my room. I do have to be a normal person at least a couple times a day and I have a family for god's sake.

Top Bottom