• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

Git gud at immersion. I don't find it too difficult to ignore that fact and enjoy the game normally.

It doesn't interrupt my immersion at all. I get why people think a randomly mute character is dumb, but I think it's just fine. It's a very simple way to write, but it doesn't bother me.

I just think its more immersive when the MC actually talks and has a name. So you know, no awkward silences and you don't forget that the MC is actually on screen. I can still be immersed in the game, depending on what kind of game it is, but when the MC is the only one just not talking, especially with voice acting. Its just so weird.

It works in Dragon Quest...the only game I feel it falls flat is DQ9 (Ironically since it's the only game that lets you change your appearance) mostly because all of your party is also create a character.

Hell, the EO series, your entire party is create a characters.

Well EO it works because there's barely any dialogue in those games compared to most JRPGs. Never played DQ, so I have no idea how it works.

I don't really play games with an imagination. If I'm getting a heavy amount of dialogue it just seems weird to have a long awkward silence when the MC is just standing there silenty and no one is referring to him by name. It makes them feel like third wheel of the party.

Yeah, the steering wheel.

Jman014

"Whatever"

(I hope Care Bear won't be mad at me later. I have stuff to do like save the world.)

He's the worst kind of silent protag, because we know what he looks like and we have background info on him, but we're supposed to be him and do all of these action movie things?

What are you, the Avatar?

I just think its more immersive when the MC actually talks and has a name. So you know, no awkward silences and you don't forget that the MC is actually on screen. I can still be immersed in the game, depending on what kind of game it is, but when the MC is the only one just not talking, especially with voice acting. Its just so weird.
Yeah, I get your complaint, I just suspend my disbelief, kinda.

He's the worst kind of silent protag, because we know what he looks like and we have background info on him, but we're supposed to be him and do all of these action movie things?
I think of it as it being your role to play. It's like if you were doing a drama play and the director gave you your character setup.

Xiraiya

tumblr_njav5c2GIj1ryc657o2_500.gif

He's going to become the greatest Persona user,
believe it!.

OK HE'S THE EXCEPTION.

Even if I never played FF8. You know what, a majority of FF MC's would've been better off if they just shut their mouths.

They mostly do.

I think of it as it being your role to play. It's like if you were doing a drama play and the director gave you your character setup.

His characterization and his actions(via us) are contradictory. The Haz suit can only do so much. It doesn't teach Gordon Freeman how to shoot better.

I suspend my belief in order to enjoy the experience, but I was actually happier with Blue Shift because that felt more like how someone who was trained in handling weapons and wearing armor would act in that situation.

His characterization and his actions(via us) are contradictory. The Haz suit can only do so much. It doesn't teach Gordon Freeman how to shoot better.

I suspend my belief in order to enjoy the experience, but I was actually happier with Blue Shift because that felt more like how someone who was trained in handling weapons and wearing armor would act in that situation.
If you're bad at shooting Gordon is bad at shooting ;)

I get your point though, you're asked do thing in gameplay that are out of character, but it's believable because it's being asked of you.

Squishy3

Don't worry, he'll get his own dialogue that consists entirely of all his tropes in Persona 5 Arena.

360pages

Looks like they changing things up for P5, which is fine. It seems like it's going to match P2/PQ type of atmosphere. (More abstract settings even in non danger zones)

Top Bottom