• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

360pages

What the fuck kind of school this in Life is Strange, you think considering all the problems between drugs and guns it was a broken down school. Not an arts school, and why the fuck would the principal tell the person who rated them out name?

Zenfalcia

Smh... You gotta git back into the Cod scene. Gotta keep in touch with the gamers.
I find that it's not nearly as bad in like Life Is Strange and usually a bunch of other things.

Rather than feeling like an actual LP going through the game together, it feels more like "Matt and Woolie talk together over some MadWorld Footage", it's weird.
I feel like that's because the hype for Life is strange is a lot more mellow than Mad world. Just different level of excitement really sets the mood and audio levels of a LP.

That's probably what it'll end up being.

Come on son. At this rate you'll never get that gunship or ever get to use heli.

I find it hilarious and also bad. I wish they raised the audio level of the games they play, i want to here the music and voices too..
Sometimes it's about content issues. I had to lower my game music volume off for my Fallout videos to not to be flagged.

360pages

To be fair, swords in general aren't that compared to short swords/ daggers and spears. Swords are pretty much only good against other sword and extremely specific situation.

If you want to talk about the ultimate impractical weapon, it would be he Scythe

Xiraiya

I feel like that's because the hype for Life is strange is a lot more mellow than Mad world. Just different level of excitement really sets the mood and audio levels of a LP.

That's probably what it'll end up being.

I really think it's a Matt thing.

With Pat involved, LPs are a lot more involved and immersive for some reason, which is fantastic.

With Matt involved and no Pat in sight, LPs are more like watching Highlights Reels on a sports channel with a discussion over it by sports commentators, so it's like eh.

It's weird to describe but that's the best I can think of right now.

To be fair, swords in general aren't that compared to short swords/ daggers and spears. Swords are pretty much only good against other sword and extremely specific situation.

If you want to talk about the ultimate impractical weapon, it would be he Scythe

Scythe aren't even weapons. They're farming tools.

They are just made weapons, that are always used wrong, because they look cool.

360pages

Wow they pulled the reason why the new DBZ movie's Villain is Frieza right out their asses.

No, but he was resurrected and has to train for 4 months.

It really depends on how they handle it, but the idea of just 4 months of training to reach Goku's level when he is weaker than Goten/Trunks is kind of pushing it, even by DBZ logic

croten

Scythe isn't a weapon. It would have only be used by farmers.

mike0dude

No, but he was resurrected and has to train for 4 months.

It really depends on how they handle it, but the idea of just 4 months of training to reach Goku's level when he is weaker than Goten/Trunks is kind of pushing it, even by DBZ logic

yeah that's why I said they pulled it out their asses.

Japan has a special way of sucking their own dicks that very few can compare to.
AxWfms0.jpg

Zenfalcia

Sometimes it's about content issues. I had to lower my game music volume off for my Fallout videos to not to be flagged.
Is that so? Hm... You think they are doing the same thing?

With Pat involved, LPs are a lot more involved and immersive for some reason, which is fantastic.

With Matt involved and no Pat in sight, LPs are more like watching Highlights Reels on a sports channel with a discussion over it by sports commentators, so it's like eh.

It makes sense. It's just different personalities sets the mood for each LP. Pat is more about the game and how it feels. Matt is more about what the game is about and his general mood about the game such as a game made by platinum is something he would get hyped about.

360pages

yeah that's why I said they pulled it out their asses.

Honestly, I don't like them going back to Frieza. DBZ was always good at moving forward, and the hoops that have to be jumped for Frieza not only to be revived but get on everyones level would have been simpler to just make a new villain or use one of the other gods Beerus mentioned.

I'm extremely tempted to say you're just letting your personal opinion/favoritism cloud your judgement.

That said, if you think some of the SBF LPs are bad, hoo boy, don't ever check out some other popular channels.
It makes sense. It's just different personalities sets the mood for each LP. Pat is more about the game and how it feels. Matt is more about what the game is about and his general mood about the game such as a game made by platinum is something he would get hyped about.
I can kinda see what you're saying, but I think that's just how their commentary differs, and what games they play.

Xiraiya

Oddly enough, Liam has the same thing of Pat where he brings immersiveness into LPs, Matt/Liam videos are usually not even bad to watch.

My preference goes.

1. Pat/Matt
2. Pat/Woolie
3. Pat/Liam
4. Pat Solo
5. Matt/Liam
6. Woolie/Liam
7. Matt/Woolie
8. Matt Solo

Zenfalcia

I'm extremely tempted to say you're just letting your personal opinion/favoritism cloud your judgement.

That said, if you think some of the SBF LPs are bad, hoo boy, don't ever check out some other popular channels.
I can kinda see what you're saying, but I think that's just how their commentary differs, and what games they play.
That's a possibility.

That's what I think too. Since they too have their own tastes in games, so will treat games differently. Like matt really disliked the anime fighters, and you could tell.

360pages

Matt/Woolie is an odd mix, I like it sometimes, but often I feel like not a lot gets discussed, Which is fine since most of their vids are fighting games and what not, not really needing a large indepth description.

Beloved

Matt LPs that aren't with Pat are pretty hit and miss for me. I've been enjoying Life is Strange though and also the Game of Thrones vids, but I can already tell that I won't be watching MadWorld after seeing the first part.

That's a possibility.

That's what I think too. Since they too have their own tastes in games, so will treat games differently. Like matt really disliked the anime fighters, and you could tell.
I think the content of the commentary can generally be different.
Thinking more on it, Pat usually likes to praise, downtalk, or just generally discuss mechanics and strategies about what he's playing. Even Streetwise it always comes back to "This is so bad" and not dumb tangents while they play. Liam does the same but is generally far more positive.

I think game choice has a lot to do with it though. Mario RPG has a large amount of Pat and Liam tangenting about random stuff far more than they usually do while they go through random battles, but Barkley is exclusively them freaking out over the game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oddly enough, Liam has the same thing of Pat where he brings immersiveness into LPs, Matt/Liam videos are usually not even bad to watch.

My preference goes.

1. Pat/Matt
2. Pat/Woolie
3. Pat/Liam
4. Pat Solo
5. Matt/Liam
6. Woolie/Liam
7. Matt/Woolie
8. Matt Solo

Switch Pat/Woolie with Pat/Liam and that's pretty much my list. That said, the NMH playthrough was great.

grimmiq

IMO Matt and Woolie LPs need Liam..They're too similar and fall into this relaxed groove which is fine..but kinda boring. Liam has a knack for delivering that one well placed joke or comment that bumps them out of that groove for the next 5-10mins and it becomes interesting again.

Zenfalcia

My preference goes.

1. Pat/Matt
2. Pat/Woolie
3. Pat/Liam
4. Pat Solo
5. Matt/Liam
6. Woolie/Liam
7. Matt/Woolie
8. Matt Solo
In my mind, Liam and Pat focus on the technical parts of a game, and while Woolie and Matt are more about the feel of the game and are the hype guys. Matt's solo stuff will improve given enough time and experience since he still has some kinks to work out.

I wish we get some Liam solo and Woolie solo just. I kinda want to see how it'll go.
Matt/Woolie is an odd mix, I like it sometimes, but often I feel like not a lot gets discussed, Which is fine since most of their vids are fighting games and what not, not really needing a large indepth description.
They're more about the game and how to play it with less emphasis on the critism of the game in general. It's also the type of games they've played don't lend to as much discussion due to both of their knowledge about the game.

My preference goes.

1. Pat/Matt
2. Pat/Woolie
3. Pat/Liam
4. Pat Solo
5. Matt/Liam
6. Woolie/Liam
7. Matt/Woolie
8. Matt Solo
My list is very similar. The Matt and Woolie videos can be really good, I quite enjoyed scrublords and DKC but the full LPs tend to be really rough.
It's airsoft. They don't need to put the orange tips on the barrels in Japan

croten

IMO Matt and Woolie LPs need Liam..They're too similar and fall into this relaxed groove which is fine..but kinda boring. Liam has a knack for delivering that one well placed joke or comment that bumps them out of that groove for the next 5-10mins and it becomes interesting again.

I agree, I think Matt and Woolie are the only combo that I don't enjoy. I think every playthrough needs Pat or Liam.

Beloved

Switch Pat/Woolie with Pat/Liam and that's pretty much my list. That said, the NMH playthrough was great.

Pat/Liam and Pat/Woolie are pretty tied but I give a slight edge to Pat/Woolie because they've now had 3 LPs that I've really enjoyed (Dark Souls, Parasite Eve, and I Have No Mouth) whereas for Pat/Liam there's only Barkley (unless I'm forgetting something), because I lost interest in the Mario LP pretty quickly.

I definitely agree. That's totally right and I never really realized it. Hell, Liam could've made DKC even better.

joe2187

Banned
I got to the part that Matt was talking about in Parks and Recreation on the podcast.

The Male-men, and Leslie's reaction was hilarious.

Xiraiya

LPers are usually goddamn annoying shits, I hate listening to them, I hate watching them.

I've seen and tried a bunch bunch and it's just... no.
Super Best Friends were just the first group to not be immediately grating or annoying, so I became a fan.

Even my least favorite SBF videos are preferable to watch than like 90% of Lets Players on youtube.
The only other exception is this one other guy who doesn't really do anything overly impressive or is even that well known but is fairly entertaining to watch in a calming way,

Zenfalcia

Airsoft and japanese animes. Don't question it.
I think the content of the commentary can generally be different.
Thinking more on it, Pat usually likes to praise, downtalk, or just generally discuss mechanics and strategies about what he's playing. Even Streetwise it always comes back to "This is so bad" and not dumb tangents while they play. Liam does the same but is generally far more positive.

I think game choice has a lot to do with it though. Mario RPG has a large amount of Pat and Liam tangenting about random stuff far more than they usually do while they go through random battles, but Barkley is exclusively them freaking out over the game.
Pat is the cynicism and liam is the optimism.

Game choice is really a big make or break part of an LP, since if the game sucks and not even quirky, there's no way commentary can save it for 20 or so parts. They'd just run out of things to talk about.

They are super anal about guns to the point where I don't think they are much of an issue over there.
Here is video of a Japanese airsoft/BB gun store. The guy in the video is grating but look at some of the things they sell
http://youtu.be/Fb0kg_Dy7ss?t=1m25s

That poor dude behind the counter lol. There's a place like that here in LA I think, I forget what it's called though. That's cool that they let you try them out like that though.
I like it
Damn straight
Airsoft and japanese animes. Don't question it.
Yeah okay. That's fine

Top Bottom