• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say repitition of the point is getting a bit dry from an entertainment standpoint, but it is deserving all of it's criticism.

I can't believe they brought back consumable health.

And the repetition of people complaining about Pat's criticisms is even more dry. Pat criticizes games he likes or doesn't like all the time. Why is this starting now?

Dark Souls 2 is by no means a bad game, if anything it's just kinda mediocre, but like everyone has said, only in comparison to the previous games.

It's an inferior sequel in almost every way but it's not bad game. Just an... unnecessary one

I was being hyperbolic but you know what I mean. But I personally think compared to the first two games, DS2 is bad, but the first DLC is pretty good. Haven't played Iron or Ivory yet.

Xiraiya

The moment I knew Skyrim wouldn't be as good as Oblivion was the moment I couldn't have vibrant pink hair glow my way through the world.
Never played the older games.

...I was talking about Morrowind since Oblivion is the one I like to pretend never happened. Except for the attribute system and the Dark Brotherhood, that game had nothing but graphical novelty.

croten

It's more like 10 if you you know how to do it, but I see what you mean that.
And I agree that there should gave been way less life gems, or at least don't make them purchasable.

You can get 10, or even 20 but the game is built around 5. Using a humanity to increase your estus amount is a way of making that area easier if you find it difficult. I think it was a perfect easy of doing that. Then they had to go and fuck it up in DS2

...I was talking about Morrowind since Oblivion is the one I like to pretend never happened. Except for the attribute system and the Dark Brotherhood, that game had nothing but graphical novelty.

From the five minutes I played of Morrowind I hated everything about it.

Oblivion for life.

Oberon

Banned
And the repetition of people complaining about Pat's criticisms is even more dry. Pat criticizes games he likes or doesn't like all the time. Why is this starting now?

I was being hyperbolic but you know what I mean. But I personally think compared to the first two games, DS2 is bad, but the first DLC is pretty good. Haven't played Iron or Ivory yet.

Because some think that that "critic" isn't justified

We already had this discussion, but HOW is demon's souls better? In what way?

And a leveling system that was the most busted shit ever.

Seriously, Oblivion is like the one game that requires installing an overhaul mod like Oscuro's in order for it to be anything fun.

Oblivion for life.
May Cliffracers descend upon you and tear you apart.

croten

It's starting now because everyone is pretentious about Dark Souls and it's lore. It's just the nature of the game.

Zocano

Even if I think Demon's Souls is nearly flawless and far above the other two games, I still think the Estus system is the most solid approach to what they want to do as far as pacing and health management.

edit:

Its a bad game and it deserves all the shit he's giving it. If you don't wanna hear Pat bitch about a game then either tell the developers to git gud or stop watching the LP.

Ha. Yah I was wondering when the silly hyperbolic shitting on Dark Souls 2 was gonna pop up. Won't stop me from liking it more than the first.

joe2187

Banned
A Captain Falcon Brawler/Character Action game by Platinum would be so hype.

I think everybody has had that same idea

falconhand.png

Xiraiya

Oblivion for life.

I can't say I'm surprised if you miss running around Oblivion in bright pink hair...

My top 5 RPGs in no order are pretty much
Dark Souls, Morrowind, Vampire Bloodlines, Arcanum and KOTOR.

360pages

Man, Kid Icarus uprising would have been awesome if I could control it like a normal fucking game as well as not having 15-30 minute levels on a handheld.

It's starting now because everyone is pretentious about Dark Souls and it's lore. It's just the nature of the game.

I meant the criticism towards Pat in general and how he complains about things. I've been hearing it a lot more recently in series and stuff outside of Dark Souls.

Because some think that that "critic" isn't justified

We already had this discussion, but HOW is demon's souls better? In what way?

Level design, boss fights, more interesting characters, better mechanics when it comes to dying (world tendency vs losing tiny bits of health which can easily be gotten back). Basically everything but graphics and the flexibility of the combat system.

And its totally fine if you wanna criticize/complain about Pat, just like how I'm criticizing/complaining about those people.

Xiraiya

I meant the criticism towards Pat in general and how he complains about things. I've been hearing it a lot more recently in series and stuff outside of Dark Souls.

I never really feel like his complaints are too unreasonable, the Artorias thing I disagree a bit but still, I don't see the problem.

I never really feel like his complaints are too unreasonable, the Artorias thing I disagree a bit but still, I don't see the problem.

Even I'm willing to admit the Kenny complaints got a little too much towards the end, but the backlash was beyond unreasonable. I'll never forget the people that actually thought Pat was going to kill a baby in real life just because of a dumb joke he made.

Top 5 JRPGs? Fuck, how do I even choose 5.

Xiraiya

Top RPG lists? Sure!

In no order (except #1):

1. EarthBound
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Resonance of Fate
4. Morrowind
5. Final Fantasy VIII

Jesus dammit, I put in KOTOR because I really enjoyed it, I knew I was forgetting an important game, FF8 is definitely in my top 5, Squall is still the best Final Fantasy protagonist I have seen, only because personal development and growth has never been much of a thing with FF Heroes except for him.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
been curious about the bolded for a while now

Go for it. Just keep in mind that the battle system is a bit confusing at first. Play with a guide if you need to. Especially for the gun customization.

Also the story is structured more like a 12-episode anime series. It's kinda hard to explain, but it's not like your standard JRPG story structure at all.

And my most commonly-given advice for RoF: If Zephyr doesn't have sunglasses on, you're doing it wrong.

And for top 5 RPGs, no particular order.

• Arx Fatalis
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • The Witcher
  • Morrowind
  • Paper Mario
Honorable mention to Alpha Protocol. I like that game in spite of its flaws.

1. Persona 4
2. Tales of Symphonia/Tales of Vesperia
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Earthbound
5. Paper Mario 64

I decided to put Vesperia and Symphonia Together since I love both of them so much

Honorable mention to Atelier Ayesha. So much time. So so so much time spent. Enhanced Vita version coming out in January with dual audio! Get on that shit.

Guess I'll do my 5 then.

1. The World Ends With You

2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

3. Persona 3 Portable

4. Radiant Historia

5. Xenogears

There's so many more I wanna put ;_;

Xiraiya

Unless you have played it recently, I will fight you, there are a lot of things wrong with that game but he is not one of them, people are retarded and rather taking a second to pay attention to what's going on, they spout off the same nonsense they were spouting off about FF8 when they were teenagers, and I'm like "Go back and look at what you are actually talking about."

So, I've had a thought about Berserk. Is Guts cutting things, or is he just breaking them in half? They go on and on about how it's not even sharp or a sword really, but things are cut so cleanly.

Unless you have played it recently, I will fight you, there are a lot of things wrong with that game but he is not one of them, people are retarded and rather taking a second to pay attention to what's going on, they spout off the same nonsense they were spouting off about FF8 when they were teenagers, and I'm like "Go back and look at what you are actually talking about."

I last played FF8 about three years ago and Squall was just as lame as when I was a kid.

360pages

Live a Live is an RPG that takes place in 7 different time periods focusing on connecting plots. You can play any part in any order and everything comes together in one last story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom