• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 5: There's a Skeleton Inside Each of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I started back up my Kamen Rider Black watch. Battle Hopper is the best.

So, are you guys played Rayman Legends yet, it has a huge amount of content for a platformer and it's one of the few games I didn't mind 100% outside of a lot of Kirby games.
I liked Rayman Origins' content better, it's last set of levels that you unlock isn't just the same levels with a shitty filter over them. :p

Alright, so I'm working on a couple ideas for Writing Month and I want to run a couple of my ideas by you guys to get notes/see if these have already been done a thousand times.

Idea 1: Struggling painter finds out he has the power to bring to life anything he paints. He tries to paint a perfect life for himself but shit keeps getting more and more fucked. Kind of a careful what you wish for type of deal.

Idea 2: Family heist team gets hired to help with corporate espionage. Family drama mixed with light-hearted Ocean's 11 styled heists.

Idea 3: Guy decides to challenge god to a fist fight in reality, and everyone tries to talk him out of it. Hard drama about mental illness and delusion, with the guy running from his terrible life and circumstance. At the very end god shows up and he wins the fist fight, becoming the new god as a big dumb twist.

Those are what I came up with after five minutes of spitballing, so just say if you'd be interested in reading any of those.

croten

Alright, so I'm working on a couple ideas for Writing Month and I want to run a couple of my ideas by you guys to get notes/see if these have already been done a thousand times.

Idea 1: Struggling painter finds out he has the power to bring to life anything he paints. He tries to paint a perfect life for himself but shit keeps getting more and more fucked. Kind of a careful what you wish for type of deal.

Idea 2: Family heist team gets hired to help with corporate espionage. Family drama mixed with light-hearted Ocean's 11 styled heists.

Idea 3: Guy decides to challenge god to a fist fight in reality, and everyone tries to talk him out of it. Hard drama about mental illness and delusion, with the guy running from his terrible life and circumstance. At the very end god shows up and he wins the fist fight, becoming the new god as a big dumb twist.

Those are what I came up with after five minutes of spitballing, so just say if you'd be interested in reading any of those.

Those all sound great but I really like the sound of number 2. Oceans 11 style anything is good to me

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

You can the make the first one like a Stephen King story.

I think it's one of the best XBLA games. I like The Behemoth, Alien Hominid and Battle block theater are great. In fact I like battle block just as a Stamper soundboard, apparently he's going to be in their next game too which is sweet

Battle Block is great. I need to get back to finishing that one day.

Wait, just remembered my xbox isn't working. Oh well :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

360pages

I started back up my Kamen Rider Black watch. Battle Hopper is the best.

I liked Rayman Origins' content better, it's last set of levels that you unlock isn't just the same levels with a shitty filter over them. :p

I don't know, having 1/2 of Origins' playable was pretty good to me. And I found the main levels better outside the last few. Origins last set of levels are amazing, while Legends ends kind of randomly, but I would recommend Legends over Origins in many ways.

360pages

Oh shit. You're going to do it?

Either idea 1 or 3 sounds the most interesting, though I would tone down the third somewhat. But I really like the first.

all of them sound interesting. #1 or the one wherein God gets Blacked out are the ones I would lean towards

Oh shit. You're going to do it?
Either idea 1 or 3 sounds the most interesting, though I would tone down the third somewhat. But I really like the first.

I'm gonna try and do something, we'll see if I can get an idea I like enough going.

And I don't at all want to tone down the third one, it needs to be fucking dumb and stupid at the end. I would want people to put that book down as mad as possible.

Thanks for the notes, guys, I'll work on ideas and possible plots for those and see if I like them.

360pages

I'm gonna try and do something, we'll see if I can get an idea I like enough going.

And I don't at all want to tone down the third one, it needs to be fucking dumb and stupid at the end. I would want people to put that book down as mad as possible.

Thanks for the notes, guys, I'll work on ideas and possible plots for those and see if I like them.

Well, then go for it. If you make the 50,000 word mark you get two free paperback copies!

Zocano

Pat's incessant whining about anything calling back to Dark Souls 1 is really starting to irk me. Some thing in 2 are understandable (namely Ornstein) but, christ, the bitching about the majestic greatsword, when the weapon isn't even that offensive at pushing the prequel is bothersome.

It's a shame that Pat is, seemingly, making all of Woolie's first impressions of everything "this isn't as good as Dark Souls 1" or "this is bad because it tries to use Dark Souls 1's lore". It's also a shame that he's probably going to extremely color Woolie's opinion of the Ivory Crown DLC because of that. The whole crux of the DLC is something about Dark Souls 1 and one of the cooler implementations (and reveals) of it. But Pat's already stated how much he hates it in a recent podcast which is probably just going to affect Woolie's opinion on it.

The game's a sequel. Let it borrow from the previous game. I don't see how a lot of those things are an issue. It's using a lot of previous lore to establish its own environments and story.

croten

Pat's incessant whining about anything calling back to Dark Souls 1 is really starting to irk me. Some thing in 2 are understandable (namely Ornstein) but, christ, the bitching about the majestic greatsword, when the weapon isn't even that offensive at pushing the prequel is bothersome.

It's a shame that Pat is, seemingly, making all of Woolie's first impressions of everything "this isn't as good as Dark Souls 1" or "this is bad because it tries to use Dark Souls 1's lore". It's also a shame that he's probably going to extremely color Woolie's opinion of the Ivory Crown DLC because of that. The whole crux of the DLC is something about Dark Souls 1 and one of the cooler implementations (and reveals) of it. But Pat's already stated how much he hates it in a recent podcast which is probably just going to affect Woolie's opinion on it.

The game's a sequel. Let it borrow from the previous game. I don't see how a lot of those things are an issue. It's using a lot of previous lore to establish its own environments and story.

Woolie doesn't really seem to hate DS2 at all. His impressions have been mostly positive, in fact he just seems to be excited to play DS1

Oberon

Banned

Yeah, Pat might aswell say "Hey remember this thing in DS1 that you don't know anything about? Is was better there! And here it's worse because I say so. You should probably be angry about it!
Sure, life gems in DS 2 are too much and break the game! But humanity in DS 1 ( which is easily farmable) and herbs in DS are totaly OK.

Woolie doesn't really seem to hate DS2 at all. His impressions have been mostly positive, in fact he just seems to be excited to play DS1

It's not about hating DS 2, because we know that neither of them hate the game. It's about Pat and Liam influencing Woolies oppinion on the game without really justification.
I have heard them say "Yeah it's the weakest of the three, the other two are better" multiple times.
Maybe I am biased, because I really didn't like Demon's souls. I don't see how any of the bosses could be better in that game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nothing feels better than succesfully puting something together yourself.
Now wait for it to fall apart and collapse when you're not looking.

I wouldnt put it pass me cause it was missing a shorter screw, and then 2 spots didnt look like I could screw in at all even tho it told me to screw in those spots, checked and it was pretty tight so I said im done.

im sure its fine.

360pages

Honestly it's a double edged sword when creating distant sequels. You rarely have anyone from the first cast to make a cameo, and there comes a problem where how much you pull back from the first and how much of it is original stuff.

I always make a comparison to Chrono cross, because that game didn't know what it wanted to be. A sequel to Chrono trigger, or its own thing? Thus it failed on both sides and not really doing the right thing.

I'm not sure where Dark Souls 2 falls in though.

Yeah, Pat might aswell say "Hey remember this thing in DS1 that you don't know anything about? Is was better there! And here it's worse because I say so. You should probably be angry about it!
Sure, life gems in DS 2 are too much and break the game! But humanity in DS 1 ( which is easily farmable) and herbs in DS are totaly OK.

In fact, Herbs break DeS more than Lifegems break DSII.

There are so legitimate issues (Sunlight Altar) but a lot of the gripes just feels bitter. Some of the callbacks are actually pretty cool, and the third DLC handles a literal callback better than a lot of sequels.

360pages

Even if humanity were easily farmable in DS1 they also have a secondary use and most people are more hesitant to use them for healing. Soul gems very existence is for healing. And often times if you are smart with them, you're probably not going to have to use your estus a lot.

Squishy3

I wouldnt put it pass me cause it was missing a shorter screw, and then 2 spots didnt look like I could screw in at all even tho it told me to screw in those spots, checked and it was pretty tight so I said im done.

im sure its fine.
your chair is going to fall apart and you are going to die, nice knowing you

Oberon

Banned

Even if humanity were easily farmable in DS1 they also have a secondary use and most people are more hesitant to use them for healing. Soul gems very existence is for healing. And often times if you are smart with them, you're probably not going to have to use your estus a lot.

But estus got nerfed too, or healing in general. Nothing is instand anymore, in DS 1 you could survive a hit the moment you drink estus ( if you had enough poise to not flinch)

360pages

But estus got nerfed too, or healing in general. Nothing is instand anymore, in DS 1 you could survive a hit the moment you drink estus ( if you had enough poise to not flinch)

I just think they just gave you too many options, if the vanilla life gems were the only one in the game and they limited to you to say 20. With no other healing items and removed humanity ability to heal i'd say it would be more balanced.

You would still have around 32 heals with a maxed out estus with that cap.

croten

In Dark Souls every area was built around the premise that you have 5 estus but in DS2 you start off with 1 which completely fucks up the balance of the game

Xiraiya

I don't really think Dark Souls should ever have had any healing consumables except Estus Flasks honestly, it defeats the point of even having that being a thing when you also have other healing items.

DSII should have just bought back 20 Flask cap instead of Life gems and start you at 5 flasks.
When I found out you couldn't heal in DS1 as an invader I thought "That makes sense to me" but that was COMPLETELY irrelevant with the fact they could consume humanity, which was more convenient than Estus for healing if you spend some time farming them.

Moemon downloading.

Aaron, consider your shit challenged.

giphy.gif

Its a bad game and it deserves all the shit he's giving it. If you don't wanna hear Pat bitch about a game then either tell the developers to git gud or stop watching the LP.

Its a bad game and it deserves all the shit he's giving it. If you don't wanna hear Pat bitch about a game then either tell the developers to git gud or stop watching the LP.

Dark Souls 2 is by no means a bad game, if anything it's just kinda mediocre, but like everyone has said, only in comparison to the previous games.

I'd say repitition of the point is getting a bit dry from an entertainment standpoint, but it is deserving all of it's criticism.

I can't believe they brought back consumable health.

Oberon

Banned
In Dark Souls every area was built around the premise that you have 5 estus but in DS2 you start off with 1 which completely fucks up the balance of the game

It's more like 10 if you you know how to do it, but I see what you mean that.
And I agree that there should gave been way less life gems, or at least don't make them purchasable.

Moemon downloading.

Aaron, consider your shit challenged.

Ahh Moemon. I downloaded it the day that Jontron video went up. I usualy play it during breaks at School. Or when I am on the train.

Xiraiya

Dark Souls 2 is by no means a bad game, if anything it's just kinda mediocre, but like everyone has said, only in comparison to the previous games.

Dark Souls 2 is the Skyrim of the Souls Series, pretty good by it's self, but not really an improvement over a previous entry.

croten

It's an inferior sequel in almost every way but it's not bad game. Just an... unnecessary one

Dark Souls 2 is the Skyrim of the Souls Series, pretty good by it's self, but not really an improvement over a previous entry.

The moment I knew Skyrim wouldn't be as good as Oblivion was the moment I couldn't have vibrant pink hair glow my way through the world.

Never played the older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom