• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

In terms of scope, it's not as amazing as Wonderful 101 or Bayo 1's finale
plus the fact that a fusion of Sheba and Jubileus is summoned and you steer the final boss to its death is kind of a rehash (though it's still awesome regardless).

However, the actual fight itself feels closer to something like an Armstrong. It's an intense, personal fight compared to a giant, which I will always prefer. Had a lot of fun regardless, even with me dying constantly.
Don-san loves his one-on-one humanoid combat encounters. :) He also doesn't like enemies that read the inputs of the players.

http://platinumgames.com/2009/10/16/on-creating-enemies/

360pages

Code Lyoko was fun, but looking back on it, it was kind of dumb, not only dumb but also really badly animated even for the time. I guess the characters were cool, and it did get dark at times.

JoJo94

Code Lyoko was fun, but looking back on it, it was kind of dumb, not only dumb but also really badly animated even for the time. I guess the characters were cool, and it did get dark at times.

OH it was really dumb when you remembered they had they power to reset time!!!

I noticed multiple scenes where the audio was cut in the wrong spot so it was really low quality at parts. It did get pretty dark though since some characters I think got really close to actually dying

Mathaou

legacy of cane
just looking at CG for that show made me wanna throw up. im being serious.

I watched it when I was really little, like 8 or 9. That was before I paid any mind to animation quality and story. All I remember is that it was really cool and there was one episode with virtual romance and smoke tentacles. And the characters almost died every episode. Like almost being killed by asphyxiation or stabbed and stuff,

JoJo94

Speaking of dark, Freaky Fred from Courage the Cowardly Dog (quality of the show aside) killed part of me and I didn't even understand why. Like, King Ramses might scare you and not allow you to go to sleep that night, but Freaky Fred just shits in your soul.

Naughtyyyyyyy

No lie Courage creeped me the fuck out as a kid but was probably my second favorite show first being Ed Edd n Eddy.

360pages

Speaking of dark, Freaky Fred from Courage the Cowardly Dog (quality of the show aside) killed part of me and I didn't even understand why. Like, King Ramses might scare you and not allow you to go to sleep that night, but Freaky Fred just shits in your soul and leaves lasting damage.

You're saying that as if Courage wasn't the greatest thing ever. Actually I think most of old Cartoon network shows are amazing.

JoJo94

You're saying that as if Courage wasn't the greatest thing ever. Actually I think most of old Cartoon network shows are amazing.

Oh that's why I have nostalgic days where I just look up old theme songs. Just cause I actually miss some of the shows.

Remember the episode that was about prostitution

In terms of scope, it's not as amazing as Wonderful 101 or Bayo 1's finale
plus the fact that a fusion of Sheba and Jubileus is summoned and you steer the final boss to its death is kind of a rehash (though it's still awesome regardless).

However, the actual fight itself feels closer to something like an Armstrong. It's an intense, personal fight compared to a giant, which I will always prefer. Had a lot of fun regardless, even with me dying constantly.
I love that it's one on one, but to nitpick,
it felt like he had a few too many gimmicks and wasn't aggressive enough, like Vergil is in DMC3 for example.

This is as nitpicky as I can be though, the game as a whole is basically a perfect sequel.

Speaking of dark, Freaky Fred from Courage the Cowardly Dog (quality of the show aside) killed part of me and I didn't even understand why. Like, King Ramses might scare you and not allow you to go to sleep that night, but Freaky Fred just shits in your soul and leaves lasting damage.

Nauughty.

Pink haired girl was there too. I remember lots of shower scenes.

The one I'm remembering is at night in her room. She got a call cause shit was going down or something.

Man Courage got too fucking real sometimes. Remember the episode about his parents?

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Naughtyyyyyyy

No lie Courage creeped me the fuck out as a kid but was probably my second favorite show first being Ed Edd n Eddy.

Both those shows kicked ass, but I remember one episode of the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy where Billy's face gets grated off to the bone. And also that one episode of Spongebob where Squidward's face gets hyperrealistic.

Billys face gets ground off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1cJ8o6cGA

Squidward.jpg

JoJo94

Both those shows kicked ass, but I remember one episode of the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy where Billy's face gets grated off to the bone. And also that one episode of Spongebob where Squidward's face gets hyperrealistic.

Billys face gets ground off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1cJ8o6cGA

Squidward.jpg

That moment actually scared me as a kid

It's funny. I believe it's the episode where Courage is in the least possible danger of physical harm and/or death, but it's also one of the most horrific episodes in the entire show. All that happens as a kid is that some uncle shaves Courage against his will. You don't see the underlying implications and themes of that episode at the age of ten, but it manages to leave some kind of lasting, horrific impression in the mind and I never managed to forget that episode and that child-voiced tune out of my mind and only later realized why I found that episode to be so unbelievably disturbing.

A lot of episodes of Courage were like that. Were we see oh this is happening, and when we got a little older and thought about it, it became an oh shit moment because it's way creepier than it should have been. The theme song is what really disturbs me too. The episode I remember the most really is the episode that is pretty much about forced prostitution when you completely look at it.

ultimax

oh god i thought it would be interesting to see what lurks in the OT community section and i saw THIS and now i wanna go die in a hole. the "other" side of GAF sure is a scary place.

360pages

Courage was pretty much horror for minors, which I say it was a lot more effective than say Goosebumps and alone in the dark, despite it leaning more towards comedy.

I still think Ed, Edd and Eddy is easily one of the best comedy Cartoons for awhile, simply due to how everything set up, even when they started new episodes it still had the charm to it despite the overall different setting.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Courage was pretty much horror for minors, which I say it was a lot more effective than say Goosebumps and alone in the dark, despite it leaning more towards comedy.

I still think Ed, Edd and Eddy is easily one of the best comedy Cartoons for awhile, simply due to how everything set up, even when they started new episodes it still had the charm to it despite the overall different setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGMGLODmjs
This is my favorite moment of that show, and I still remember it years later.

JoJo94

interesting thing is i have the same name as the main character from Code Lyoko
im not a blond though
or wear glasses

and you are not obsessed with a girl stuck in a computer

Yeah Ed Edd N Eddy to me is probably one of CN's best shows because of it's setup and it's humor.

Hey guys It's Doc Gerbil's World

360pages

Honestly I think the movie was the best thing in the series, it's pretty rare that something can make me laugh and get the feels at the same time. And the underlying theme of the whole series really came full circle when everyone
accepted them.

Woof, that's a lot to choose from.

Dexter's Mom 'cause I ain't afraid of no booty like Liam is.
Sedusa (Powerpuff Girls) for reasons.
Velma because she was the only one with any sense in her head on that show.
Princess Ilana (Sym-Bionic Titan).
Starfire, the superior Titan waifu.
Jynx for her counterpart.
Flame Princess, with Breakfast Princess as a close runner up if she was older.
Garnet.

To name a few.

Those three are pretty great

JoJo94

Which episode was that prostitution one you guys were talking about? I'm going to pretend I didn't go into that K-On thread

It's The Mask. Where the cat hates dogs because they have her friend Bunny from basically her pimp a big dog. Not the best at describing episodes.

You know who else was great? The blue haired canker sister from Ed Edd and Eddy.

Also, I like how you guys are creeped out by K-ON GAF then immediately go back to talking about which cartoon characters you wanna fuck.

It's The Mask. Where the cat hates dogs because they have her friend Bunny from basically her pimp a big dog. Not the best at describing episodes.

That was a fucked up episode. I thought however that she was just in an abusive relationship. I did not pick up on the big dog being her pimp.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

JoJo94

Also, from that same episode. The part where Ed turns into a motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKbanCFFqU#t=430

Died at that part too.

You're totally right, though even the forced prostitution episode (which was similarly horrific to the freaky fred episode and one of the best episodes in the show) had some form of outsider or danger element to it, whereas Fred was a family member and Courage was not in any deadly danger. It's not just the fact that you don't understand everything as a kid, it's also the fact that the entire episode is non-violent and the way it's set up made it the most psychologically horrific episode for me. Not to say that many other episodes didn't come close, but they never topped that one episode.

Fuck, man, I do =(.

Yeah, I was never horrified by that episode personally found it disturbing still. But you are right since they made this person who was actually pretty safe seem so threatening it added an extra level of horror to it, and the set up of Courage not being able to escape helped it even more. Plus the tone of his voice, and the fact it was all in rhyme leaves a lasting impression.

That was a fucked up episode. I thought however that she was just in an abusive relationship. I did not pick up on the big dog being her pimp.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

I think there were a few parts that hinted at that. But at the very least domestic violence was a huge part of that episode.

croten

You know who else was great? The blue haired canker sister from Ed Edd and Eddy.

Also, I like how you guys are creeped out by K-ON GAF then immediately go back to talking about which cartoon characters you wanna fuck.

Frankie Foster is totally legal... probably

Mathaou

legacy of cane

Let's not get into that anymore than we have. Be thankful its only cartoons, and not Anime, video games, and comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom