• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

shun.jpg

Unless you are ONLY talking about Rock Lee.

Hey, some of the characters are really cool, but seriously I really don't think a lot of you actually even seen Naruto. (Which is fine, I don't expect people to actually read a 700 Chapter manga) but it's not as bad as people say, and there are far, far worse things out there.

To be fair, it's one thing to act like a teenage girl. It's another thing to.
Say fuck you to your father figure and actual father. Freak out because your boyfriend won't help you do illegal stuff and be as unlikable and snappy as possible.

I will always say this, just because it's realistic doesn't mean they are likable or enjoyable on screen, and when the best episodes are ones without your main character in them it gets really bad.

It's like when people purposely make annoying characters not realizing purposely annoying is still annoying.

Like I said, don't understand teenage girls. They really are that bad.

And I also agree with that point of realism, but she's a much better character than she was a book ago, so its not like they were aware of how annoying she was and didn't do anything about it. I can take the bad with the good, which is why I can say fuck that logic.

I'd hate to bring Persona back up again, but Junpei is a perfect example of being aware that you're writing your character into being a douche, but its a part of their development, and he's a much better character because of it.

If Simon from Gurren Lagann can get a pass for being like how he was in the beginning, but then becoming a much better character, I can't see why Korra shouldn't either.

I didn't think it was that stupid. It made sense in context as
an extension of Raava's power being piloted by Korra's will/spirit.
But yeah that fight tho
I just thought it was weird how suddenly that happened, like it was just "AND NOW I CAN DO THE THING". This is just a personal complaint tbh
I didn't get that at all, she didn't seem much more mature from S1 to S2, compared to S2 to S3. She was the same character by the end except for the fact that
she could bend all the elements
She had started listening to other people more and not just blatantly disregarding and being a bitch to them though. Maybe the entirety of B2 was her shark week though, who knows.

360pages

I found Sacred Stones to be much easier than FE:A on normal. It could be because Awakening was my first FE game and Sacred Stones was my 4th, but the game is way easier. I do agree that FE:A on normal is too easy though, but I think if its your first SRPG, its a good starting point.

I didn't get that at all, she didn't seem much more mature from S1 to S2, compared to S2 to S3. She was the same character by the end except for the fact that
she could bend all the elements

To be fair, that might be a problem with the fact that no one learned anything from S1. They all stayed the same and very little was gained outside of Lin getting of Tenzin dumping her. None of the characters really grow, which can be okay if the character is likable to begin with, but super annoying if they are like Korra.

360pages

Like I said, don't understand teenage girls. They really are that bad.

And I also agree with that point of realism, but she's a much better character than she was a book ago, so its not like they were aware of how annoying she was and didn't do anything about it. I can take the bad with the good, which is why I can say fuck that logic.

I'd hate to bring Persona back up again, but Junpei is a perfect example of being aware that you're writing your character into being a douche, but its a part of their development, and he's a much better character because of it.

If Simon from Gurren Lagann can get a pass for being like how he was in the beginning, but then becoming a much better character, I can't see why Korra shouldn't either.

My problem with Korra is that most of the time the show tries to justify why she is acting like that. And at a certain degree, fine I get it. But season 2 took it way too far, I don't think it makes her a better character either. I wouldn't like her more in season 3 because she acted like that in season 2. But there is a chance that I will like her less in season 3 because of it.

There is a balance and Season 2 completely missed that balance.

Don't forget Might Guy.

Never ever forget Might Guy. Or the youth.

Hey, some of the characters are really cool, but seriously I really don't think a lot of you actually even seen Naruto. (Which is fine, I don't expect people to actually read a 700 Chapter manga) but it's not as bad as people say, and there are far, far worse things out there.

I've seen everything until the guy who fights with his bones dies. Hinata is fine, I like Shikamaru a lot, Ino's hot and so is Neji, and everybody else is like a big bland soup of nothing with a dog in it I guess.

My problem with Korra is that most of the time the show tries to justify why she is acting like that. And at a certain degree, fine I get it. But season 2 took it way too far, I don't think it makes her a better character either. I wouldn't like her more in season 3 because she acted like that in season 2. But there is a chance that I will like her less in season 3 because of it.

I think they could have taken it way farther than they did. She was annoying, but she was far from bad. I also think Korra is a way better character than Aang, who's the worst part of the original avatar show. So you can take my opinions on Korra any way you want.

ultimax

because this-
Kamina > Simon
Asami > Korra
git gud
Because the wii shop is literally on a emulated wii, everything of the Wiiu is shut off when you go into wii mode.

yeah i know, but i wish nintendo would of merged the points/dollars thing so i can use all my e-shop money to buy what ever i want. or at least have a conversion system. now i have to buy ANOTHER card so i can buy Majora's Mask :(

360pages

Never ever forget Might Guy. Or the youth.

I've seen everything until the guy who fights with his bones dies. Hinata is fine, I like Shikamaru a lot, Ino's hot and so is Neji, and everybody else is like a big bland soup of nothing with a dog in it I guess.

Well, you were pretty much at the end of the first half of the series. Which is a shame, because you were coming up to easily one of the best fights in the series and probably one of the top ten fights in shonens at the time at least..

With that said, if you only thought the first part was okay, then the second part wouldn't do it for you unless you like more flash than substance and the characters were at their best in part 1.

Well, you were pretty much at the end of the first half of the series. Which is a shame, because you were coming up to easily one of the best fights in the series and probably one of the top ten fights in shonens at the time at least..

With that said, if you only thought the first part was okay, then the second part wouldn't do it for you unless you like more flash than substance and the characters were at their best in part 1.

Now let me say in defense of Naruto that everything up through the end of the Chunin exams was some damn fun anime action.

360pages

I think they could have taken it way farther than they did. She was annoying, but she was far from bad. I also think Korra is a way better character than Aang, who's the worst part of the original avatar show. So you can take my opinions on Korra any way you want.

I found Aang more Likable than Korra, hell I find Naruto more likable than Korra in the first two seasons. Even the creators said they went a little far and started to hate Korra themselves.

Of course I just think Legend of Korra as a whole is just okay, and I think the original series is far better than it.

I found Aang more Likable than Korra, hell I find Naruto more likable than Korra in the first two seasons. Even the creators said they went a little far and started to hate Korra themselves.

Of course I just think Legend of Korra as a whole is just okay, and I think the original series is far better than it.

Then we'll forever disagree on it. Aang was the worst.

360pages

Now let me say in defense of Naruto that everything up through the end of the Chunin exams was some damn fun anime action.

Yeah, I think the first two arcs are the best. The Tsunande retrieval arc was super slow and only one fight in it. (It was a big fight, but still) The Sasuke retrieval arc was actually cool for me since we got to see characters that were usually on the sidelines fight for once.

Jman014

Yo I like Korra and all but she has problems getting mad over a lot of things.

360pages

Why was he the worst? Sure he was preachy and annoying at times, but he had flaws, he got scared and his personal reasons usually got in the way of solving the problem the best way possible.

He wasn't perfect, but I could still like him and understand him somewhat, but I couldn't understand Korra a lot of time during the second season. She became far to alien for me and as a result I became disconnected to the character.

Yeah, I think the first two arcs are the best. The Tsunande retrieval arc was super slow and only one fight in it. (It was a big fight, but still) The Sasuke retrieval arc was actually cool for me since we got to see characters that were usually on the sidelines fight for once.

Yeah, actually that fight in the forest between Neji and the spider chick was sick

I dont' remember. It's been ages. All I remember is that the everything up to chuunin was fine. Oh and the lee vs bone guy fight was good too.
The chunin exams were very early. The second arc in the whole series and the longest in part 1 I think the only arc thats longer is the ninja world war.
the chunin exam was the best arc.
Also the sasuke retrieval introduced these god forsaken sections
funny_naruto_and_kiba_gif__press_on_image____by_animeandmangaforever-d50c2zm.png

so many trees...

Why was he the worst? Sure he was preachy and annoying at times, but he had flaws, he got scared and his personal reasons usually got in the way of solving the problem the best way possible.

He wasn't perfect, but I could still like him and understand him somewhat, but I couldn't understand Korra a lot of time during the second season. She became far to alien for me and as a result I became disconnected to the character.

His on again, off again thing with Katara, his extremely pissy attitude towards Toph when
she lost Appa, even though SHE'S BLIND AND THEY WERE IN THE SAND AND SHE SAVED HIS LIFE.
And just the overall fact that every single damn character on team Avatar, and even the villains (except for General Zhao) were just so much more interesting/better developed than Aang. I could go on for days about why Aang is so boring and just the worst. The only thing I sympathize with him on is that he had to save the world, which isn't the easiest of things, but again, I really don't care. Like you said yourself, realism doesn't make it any less annoying.

And the whole jealous/relationship thing with Katara
went on for 60 fucking episodes. At least Korra has the decency to cut that shit after the first half of book 2.

kewlmyc

It's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. Most people agree that early Naruto was okay. It's everything after that's just bleh.

Yeah, I would go as far as to say everything up to Sasuke leaving ranged from good to decent. The arc where they introduced Sai is where everything went to shit.

ultimax

Yo I like Korra and all but she has problems getting mad over a lot of things.

Aang was actually the reason i never finished avatar after book 1. i found him kinda annoying and eventually just said "fuck it" i dont care what happens. i might try it again one day. I like Korra alot even tho she gets mad and shit. she only means good.
but thats why asami is forever best girl

360pages

His on again, off again thing with Katara, his extremely pissy attitude towards Toph when
she lost Appa, even though SHE'S BLIND AND THEY WERE IN THE SAND AND SHE SAVED HIS LIFE.
And just the overall fact that every single damn character on team Avatar, and even the villains (except for General Zhao) were just so much more interesting/better developed than Aang. I could go on for days about why Aang is so boring and just the worst. The only thing I sympathize with him on is that he had to save the world, which isn't the easiest of things, but again, I really don't care. Like you said yourself, realism doesn't make it any less annoying.

Fair enough, I can't argue with some of those points. Though a lot of those points can also be brought against Korra in some way, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Aang's one of those child characters that actually acts like a child at first, until he gets some character development and grows up a little bit midway-ish through S1. If you don't like him, that's fine, but he was hardly underdeveloped. He went through at least three character arcs during the show. Also, I think Legend of Korra deserves way more praise. I think a ton of people dropped off during S2, just when it was getting really good, and S3 was, in my opinion, on par with ATLA.

360pages

Yeah, I would go as far as to say everything up to Sasuke leaving ranged from good to decent. The arc where they introduced Sai is where everything went to shit.

This is the perfect point, because Sai sucks, (Even though he has a really cool power) Sasuke started to suck, Sakura went from being really cool in the first arc of part 2, to garbo tier and stayed that way.

I think the spider person was a guy. And Shikmaru fought the flute chick, but yeah the fights was easily the best fights in the entire series. Neji's and Chojis being awesome and the bone dude was really good too.
In my opinion Garaa vs Naruto will always be the best fight in the whole series
cb58318d6f55.gif

th_kyuubi.jpg

naruto having the chief toad transform into the kyubii made my 13 year old dick turn rock hard! It was the hypest moment in Naruto!

Aang's one of those child characters that actually acts like a child at first, until he gets some character development and grows up a little bit midway-ish through S1. If you don't like him, that's fine, but he was hardly underdeveloped. He went through at least three character arcs during the show.

Compared to Sokka? Or Zuko? Or Azula? Or Iroh? Very underdeveloped and/or boring in comparison.

Zuko was the true protagonist of Avatar.

I sometimes have to tell myself that just to remind myself that
season 3 was actually good. The second half of Book 3 with Zuko made up for a very mediocre first half (not including Black Sun), before they dropped the ball again with the finale.

360pages

Compared to Sokka? Or Zuko? Or Azula? Or Iroh? Very underdeveloped and/or boring in comparison.

People sometimes think a character needs to go through development, but sometimes a character can stay the same and still be fun and entertaining. Seeing how this character overcome hardships and how they react is usually better than a massive personality shift.

I think you're confusing subtle chaange for no chaange.

He still wasn't remotely as good as any of them. If you're the main character and you can't even be one of the best characters in your own show, then just fuck off screen and make room for better characters. The smartest thing that show did was to give Zuko, Sokka, Iroh and Azula more screen time in S3.

360pages

In my opinion Garaa vs Naruto will always be the best fight in the whole series
cb58318d6f55.gif

th_kyuubi.jpg

naruto having the chief toad transform into the kyubii made my 13 year old dick turn rock hard! It was the hypest moment in Naruto!

Second best fight in the series. I love how he used every single thing he learned up to that point, the same things we seen him learn up to that point during the fight. It was actually impressive the amount of callbacks it had.

Second best fight in the series. I love how he used every single thing he learned up to that point, the same things we seen him learn up to that point during the fight. It was actually impressive the amount of callbacks it had.

And then we see everything in Shippuden is complete bullshit

People sometimes think a character needs to go through development, but sometimes a character can stay the same and still be fun and entertaining. Seeing how this character overcome hardships and how they react is usually better than a massive personality shift.

He was never that interesting in the first place and he didn't improve much throughout the show. He's not a horrible character, but clearly there were much better characters that were also better written.

Ah, yes, before fights became DBZ powerfests.

360pages

And then we see everything in Shippuden is complete bullshit

Can't disagree with you there. Part 2 started out pretty nice. Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi doing non Sasuke related things, meeting new people and getting into the fight with one of the members of the big bads group. Even Sakura managed to have a really good fight for once (Her first and last)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom