• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 7: FRIENDER65

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

SH Homecoming maybe. Otherwise it's a really watered down version.

YEAH
It's like Resident Evil mixed with a little bit of Silent Hill and Saw.

The story is real fucking neato in Evil Within, but they've missed a fair amount of save rooms that provide some context because there's missing posters and newspapers in them. I hope they don't miss them later because some important shit is in there.

When I was younger, I thought Canadian Boxing Day was were people in Canada just pack things into boxes all day and I was so happy to be an American.

Still am

Archgan

When I was younger, I thought Canadian Boxing Day was were people in Canada just pack things into boxes all day and I was so happy to be an American.

Still am

I'm was actually born on Australian Boxing Day and whenever I saw it on the calendar, I thought it was about kangaroos boxing.

I always assumed Boxing day was about boxing, like the Football Grand Final or something.

box-ing-spongebob-o.gif

360pages

EO games are really awesome, mostly because they are some of the purest RPGs while still having deep mechanics.

I'd say if you want to try the series EO4 is probably the closest to a regular RPG there is. There is a world map that is lacking in the other games, and there is a progression and a decent story. (EO3 has the best story) I'd recommend EO4 over SMTIV

So after watching the latest parts in the Best Friends and Max's Evil Within LPs, I decided to give those first four chapters another shot. You know, I think I realized that most of my problems with that game were kind of on me, especially after playing original Resident Evil as a reference for pre-RE4 survival horror.

In short, before I kept trying to play the game just like RE4 and wasn't making much use of the game's other options like stealth. I tried luring enemies into traps, but that failed more often than not. I kept trying to kill everything with just the pistol and shotgun, but all my shots kept missing due to either overshooting my aim or an enemy shifting it's position slightly. By the time I got to Chapter 6, that style was doing me no good as I didn't bother learning any of the other tricks this game has due to rushing through everything. Now, I realized along with Matt & Pat that the crossbow is kind of a problem solver for a lot of situations assuming you have the right bolts, and as RE1 showed, melee is not reliable in the least and hitting specific regions don't always bring the guaranteed effects you'd want.

I still hate the aiming mode because of how disappointing it is coming off of stuff like Vanquish and RE4. The super zoomed in view is what fucks it up, primarily, but actually moving the crosshair just doesn't feel right. That along with other minor annoyances with character movement in control. You know, character control is the best way to summarize the things I think this game does not do as well, that's it.

But yeah, I think I'm pulling myself out of my hate phase I found myself when I left that game. But I guess we'll see once I finish Chapter 5 and 6. Even without new game plus, just replaying those old chapters proved to be a better experience than the first time.

And hey, new podcast is up early, that's a welcome bonus.

Man the magic of Gaim was things were the unexpected. They spoiled a little bit but that Podcast spoiler:
completely noncanon canon thing was awesome damn it liam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom