• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super House of Dead Ninjas |OT|

Haunted

Fast-paced Spelunky, with Ninjas.

boom.

What, you need more info before you buy? Fuck you.

nkH3oKO.jpg

Steam blurb:
Descend a seemingly-endless tower, wielding an arsenal of deadly ninja weapons and attacks, as the fearsome Crimson Ninja. This 2D action-platformer uses ninja magic to generate every tower randomly, so no two adventures are the same! Based on the hit Flash game from developers Megadev and Adult Swim Games.

The controls are tight, animations are slick, lots of powerups and randomly generated levels for tons of replayability. It's a fast, tough game, the timer keeps you moving forward constantly, there are Mega-Man styled bosses every 100 floors (you start on floor 350) and you only you get two continues per run. The kind of game that rewards you for getting better and improving your skills and punishes you for carelessness and disregarding its rules.

GB Quicklook

Totalbiscuit WTF is...

Nothernlion Let's Look At
Original Flash Game

4 bucks on Steam. Achievements, native controller support, tutorial comic and OST included.

Out now.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
while the game might be incredible i'm kinda drained on ninja/zombie/pirate/extreme/super/nazi theme combinations. Too many indie games these days try to come with 'radical' themes.

anywhoo, ill check it out, thanks.

Haunted

Bought it day one. Why isn't there controller support in game though?
It got an update and has proper controller support now. I bought it today and Steam automatically downloaded the current version, 360 controller works flawlessly. Clearly a game that wants to be played with a controller, you need to pull off some tight jumps and moves in this one.

Stitch

Gold Member
With Indie games I'm never sure if I should buy them or if I should just wait for the next Indie bundle...

It does look cool though.

Deband

It got an update and has proper controller support now. I bought it today and Steam automatically downloaded the current version, 360 controller works flawlessly. Clearly a game that wants to be played with a controller, you need to pull off some tight jumps and moves in this one.

Ahh cool. I did notice you said native controller support and wondered if it was in the patch from the other day. I'll get back on if later and try it out.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This game is intense. Managed to get down to floor 50, died to the boss there. The rhino boss seems really intense, you have to double jump just right or you're screwed.

One little trick I've found is that if you crouch walk, the whip weapon has an insanely fast attack animation.

Started playing it more now that controller support is implemented, using the up arrow on a keyboard to jump was insanity. Haven't gotten farther than two boss fights in a run yet, but it's been fun so far.

Haunted

This game is intense. Managed to get down to floor 50, died to the boss there. The rhino boss seems really intense, you have to double jump just right or you're screwed.

One little trick I've found is that if you crouch walk, the whip weapon has an insanely fast attack animation.
Oh, that's useful, I love the whip. Don't forget your super jump as well.

I think the GB guys were a bit confused about what the upgrades and "other" items do - upgrades are passives and immediately applied to your character when they unlock. "Other" items are the powerups you unlock and can find on your next playthrough. Genius way to keep the game fresh while playing, similar to how Isaac does it.

while the game might be incredible i'm kinda drained on ninja/zombie/pirate/extreme/super/nazi theme combinations. Too many indie games these days try to come with 'radical' themes.

Those super games are the worst!

Quick Look looked fun. I'll buy it now that I know it has controller support.

deejay

Just started playing this today, now that it has proper controller support. Wow, unexpected surprise for me personally. Great game !

ArjanN

Nice, this game deserves an OT.

Oh, and READ THE COMIC, it explains the controls like the super-jump. (hold down until you glow then up)

Deband

anyone get this to work with the d-pad instead of the analog stick using an xbox 360 pad?

Devs are working on this. From Steam post by them:

Ursprünglich geschrieben von Megadev:
Hey everyone, the 360's d-pad isn't currently working as we're waiting on an update to the extension that we're using, but that should be coming soon.

Played for the first time today since the controller support was added and its like a different game, so good.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that there was an update; I saw that there was a option for controller support last night, but I just assumed that I missed it last night. That's great.

This game is great. The controls are great - everything's so smooth and responsive that I'm basically playing for play's sake. Everything else is just gravy. Gushing fountains of delicious gravy.

Oh, and READ THE COMIC, it explains the controls like the super-jump. (hold down until you glow then up)

And you get a powerup for finishing it, too.

Stitch

Gold Member
heh, bought it too :p

do I have to unlock this? because holding down doesn't do anything. well, my character crouches.

do I have to unlock this? because holding down doesn't do anything. well, my character crouches.
I think it might be context sensitive because I ran into it not doing anything either, but doing it underneath an area you could jump to with extra height will allow it.

Sushigod7

No idea this was out there looks like fun anyone know how long it is? Or do you just play and try to get as low as possible then die and restart?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks, I didn't realize it was patched with controller support, I hadn't fired it up since trying to play with the keyboard.

It's pretty pretty good.

Stitch

Gold Member
I think it might be context sensitive because I ran into it not doing anything either, but doing it underneath an area you could jump to with extra height will allow it.

Super Jump only works when you have the space to do it, yes.

Nope, singleplayer only.

Yes, just found out that it does not work everywhere. It works on that stupid boss that i couldn't beat. Let's see if I can beat him now... :D

edit: aaww yiss!! that was.. easy lol

Volcynika

Really having fun with it, got it after watching the Giant Bomb quick look. Though for some reason my mind is blanking on how to dodge Torment. Beat the last boss though, but haven't done hard mode yet.

Zeth

Nice OP! Glad there is one. Just bought it this morning, playing it tonight. It looks amazing from what I've seen from TotalBiscuit and GB.

Haunted

Nice OP! Glad there is one. Just bought it this morning, playing it tonight. It looks amazing from what I've seen from TotalBiscuit and GB.
I heard MANvsGame talk about it and bought it immediately after playing the flash version. Was surprised to see no OT, and hardly any mention of it outside of the Steam announcement thread. It's such a cool game.

No idea this was out there looks like fun anyone know how long it is? Or do you just play and try to get as low as possible then die and restart?
Well, you start out at floor 350 and there's a final boss at the bottom of the tower (I assume, haven't made it that far). Once you reach one of the bosses you can start out from lower floors, though.

I'd say a regular run will take you anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes depending on how far you get and how quickly you progress. There's unlockables, achievements a score system and a hard mode to make you play the game more than just a couple times.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Wow, where did the last hour and a half go? Got to the last boss and had no idea what I was doing.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
<3 You guys. I can't tell you how happy the reception has been for this game. :) I was totally expecting people to tear us apart over it, but the amount of good praise has been incredibly uplifting!

Thank you very much. I'm glad you all enjoy it!

Great game, and thanks for making it SovanJedi! I've always enjoyed the games [adult swim] puts their name on. Do you work for them or are they more so a publisher?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
They're just the publisher for our games. Definitely the best publishers we have worked with so far, though. Lots of creative freedom, and they seem to understand what we wanted to do with the game so well (and bounce ideas off of us accordingly).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Does this game have online features? Like Demon's Souls, sometimes there's ghosts that says someone has died at that spot at some particular time

But ya, game is rad SovanJedi, no way is it bad at all

Stitch

Gold Member
Does this game have online features? Like Demon's Souls, sometimes there's ghosts that says someone has died at that spot at some particular time
Yeah, what's up with that? There are also sometimes regular enemies with weird names.

Top Bottom