• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super House of Dead Ninjas |OT|

Just complete hard mode from the first area to get the light saber so it's off to the Transdimensional Leakage next. I'm really enjoying the game, it's probably my favourite of the year so far. It's got a lot in common with Spelunky but I feel the base mechanics and speed make it much more fun to play so if you enjoyed that game this is definitely worth the asking price.

Has anybody run into any fairies yet? You have to save them to get some of the unlocks but I've never ran into any.

Newblade

Just complete hard mode from the first area to get the light saber so it's off to the Transdimensional Leakage next. I'm really enjoying the game, it's probably my favourite of the year so far. It's got a lot in common with Splunky but I feel the base mechanics and speed make it much more fun to play so if you enjoyed that game this is definitely worth the asking price.

Has anybody run into any fairies yet? You have to save them to get some of the unlocks but I've never ran into any.

You have to blow up some lonesome marked blocks. They're really easy to miss, but they spawn every time you play at the same position in the same types of floors, so after you learn the pattern it is just a matter of repetition.

ScOULaris

I bought this game a week or so ago, and I've only had time to play it for about an hour or so. I was really enjoying the speed and fluidity of the core mechanics, even if having to press up to jump made things more awkward than they should have been. The controls and character physics could be tweaked to be a little more precise, IMO, but I'm always down for a fast-paced, procedurally generated action-platformer.

I recommend this to anyone who enjoyed games like Spelunky or TowerClimb, even though it's not quite up to the level of quality that those two games possess. I wouldn't go as far as calling this game a Roguelike-like, though, as the randomization really only applies to the arrangement of the level.

Haunted

I've never seen a fairy either.

You have to blow up some lonesome marked blocks. They're really easy to miss, but they spawn every time you play at the same position in the same types of floors, so after you learn the pattern it is just a matter of repetition.
How are they marked? Just like regular destructible rocks or something unique?

Salsa

jPEtQBZtfahia.jpg

this guy's an asshole

Zeth

This game is awesome. The turtle boss fucks me up every time I get him. Haven't figured out how to defeat him.

ScOULaris

What is everyone's go to weapon? I prefer the upgraded nunchucks.

I'm partial to the nunchucks and the whip thus far, but I have only unlocked about half of the weapons.

Also, this game is much more enjoyable now that I can disable "up to jump" and assign it to the X button on my DualShock 3. I'm loving it.

Whip, Pistol, and dynamite, I'm the Indiana Jones of the Ninja world. I prefer the whip due to it's unmatched speed and range however I switch to the lightsaber in Leakage as there are so many things that are annoying on death. I did just have an easy time against Disgust though as my saber got me it with max hp and magic.

Remy

Hey SovanJedi, any chance this will get a SteamPlay release? (Since it appears to be an Air app, figured it'd be possible.)

That was a nice stream today SovanJedi !! I was Bunny/Mupits ... the one who kept on asking about a 3DS release :p

The weapons I have been using the most are: Ultra Super Mega Kusarigama, Battle Bash Boomerang, Dynamite Death Dealer, and Flame Magic from the Pits.

I still have to beat the game on hard so I can get to the basement. Not to mention trying to unlock everything and get all the achievements :) I can't wait to see what future updates you have planned!

Are there patch notes for this game anywhere? I've seen it update a few times (most recently today), but I have no idea where to look for the changes. The Steam page for Product Updates is always blank, the Community doesn't have a thread for it, and so on. Is it on the Adult Swim site somewhere?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sorry for the late replies!

Hey SovanJedi, any chance this will get a SteamPlay release? (Since it appears to be an Air app, figured it'd be possible.)

There's been a bit of trouble getting this fully implemented, but we're hoping it works out for us soon.

That was a nice stream today SovanJedi !! I was Bunny/Mupits ... the one who kept on asking about a 3DS release :p

The weapons I have been using the most are: Ultra Super Mega Kusarigama, Battle Bash Boomerang, Dynamite Death Dealer, and Flame Magic from the Pits.

I still have to beat the game on hard so I can get to the basement. Not to mention trying to unlock everything and get all the achievements :) I can't wait to see what future updates you have planned!

Oh ho ho, I wondered if any of you lot crossed over with the GAF community! That was a very fun and lively livefeed/podcast type thing there, and we really enjoyed it too. :D Thank you for being so accommodating! Also nice to meet a fellow Kusarigama+ lover, though I tend to prefer the regular Axe and Shrapnel Bombs+ instead of those other weapons.

Are there patch notes for this game anywhere? I've seen it update a few times (most recently today), but I have no idea where to look for the changes. The Steam page for Product Updates is always blank, the Community doesn't have a thread for it, and so on. Is it on the Adult Swim site somewhere?

Our coder has just uploaded patch notes to Steam now - Here you go!

Haunted

Reset Data addition is nice. ^^

My favourite weapon is the whip although I acknowledge that the katana+ is better.

Can't fathom how you'd use the axe, shuriken+ or the gun all the way.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Dare you to go all-black with Chaos Mode on SalsaShark. :p

Reset Data addition is nice. ^^

My favourite weapon is the whip although I acknowledge that the katana+ is better.

Can't fathom how you'd use the axe, shuriken+ or the gun all the way.

It's because it can hit enemies above and below the floor you're on, provided you can land the hit accurately enough. It's invaluable against some of the sections in Abarghus' Domain, particularly against the vomiting monsters. Spam it with the Infinite Ammo pickup and it does a decent job of clearing 3-4 floors below you.

That's my excuse anyhow. :U

Haunted

It's because it can hit enemies above and below the floor you're on, provided you can land the hit accurately enough. It's invaluable against some of the sections in Abarghus' Domain, particularly against the vomiting monsters. Spam it with the Infinite Ammo pickup and it does a decent job of clearing 3-4 floors below you.

That's my excuse anyhow. :U
Well, you see, I'm a scrub so I usually spam the secondary in a last second attempt to not get fucked, so it flying straight ahead is kinda necessary for me. :D

Here's an inside question - which secondary is the best to get the 1000 projectiles in one game unlock with? You just have to get lucky with the infinite ammo pickups or is there one that can be spammed faster than others? Tried a couple times to get it but no dice. :/

ArjanN

Here's an inside question - which secondary is the best to get the 1000 projectiles in one game unlock with? You just have to get lucky with the infinite ammo pickups or is there one that can be spammed faster than others? Tried a couple times to get it but no dice. :/

Pick shuriken and stay at the tutorial area directly against a wall so you'll immediately pick up your shuriken again. Now spam the projectile button for 2-3 minutes. Done. :)

Azar

Getting the lightsaber requires playing from the top of the tower without using a continue, right? Or does the one-armed ninja count as a minion? I played all the way from the top in one go, but didn't realize that using a continue invalidated getting the saber. I'm not good enough yet to do it without using a continue. :(

Haunted

Pick shuriken and stay at the tutorial area directly against a wall so you'll immediately pick up your shuriken again. Now spam the projectile button for 2-3 minutes. Done. :)
Oh, that's cheeky!

Getting the lightsaber requires playing from the top of the tower without using a continue, right? Or does the one-armed ninja count as a minion? I played all the way from the top in one go, but didn't realize that using a continue invalidated getting the saber. I'm not good enough yet to do it without using a continue. :(
Yeah, in one go means within one continue. I'm trying on hard right now, but the last boss keeps fucking me up once or twice because I only get there with really low health.

ArjanN

Yeah, in one go means within one continue. I'm trying on hard right now, but the last boss keeps fucking me up once or twice because I only get there with really low health.

Yeah, you have to do it all on one continue. Which is the same as hard as you don't have continues there to begin with.

It took me a bunch of tries, but eventually you'll keep getting there with more and more life left. It also becomes a bit easier the more stuff you unlock in the store, not just the weapons but the power-ups as well. Remember to use projectiles/bombs/magic a lot, no use saving it up when they're maxed out.

Oh, and the final boss can't hit you if you're in the air while his hand slams down.

epmode

So my friend gave me a code for this from PAX East. GAF, why didn't you tell me that this game is fuckawesome? I didn't even know this thread existed!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So, I have something exciting to announce - Downloadable Content AND free updates!

We've been given the go-ahead to talk about our immediate future plans for Super House of Dead Ninjas, and right now we're looking to roll out our first DLC pack, and a free update that applies to every single person's copy of the game, within the next month.

One of these updates is an all-new difficulty called Ninja Mode, which has the following additions:

- No Continues
- All Health, Projectile, Bomb and Magic perk upgrades are disabled
- 5 lives maximum
- No Rage Mode

Also coming in the free update (due out in the following few weeks) are the following additions:
- Widescreen Mode
- Leaderboards
- 20 new achievements
- New enemies and traps

I'll keep you updated on DLC news when we're ready to share. Hope you like it when it all hits! :D

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So, I have something exciting to announce - Downloadable Content AND free updates!

We've been given the go-ahead to talk about our immediate future plans for Super House of Dead Ninjas, and right now we're looking to roll out our first DLC pack, and a free update that applies to every single person's copy of the game, within the next month.

One of these updates is an all-new difficulty called Ninja Mode, which has the following additions:

- No Continues
- All Health, Projectile, Bomb and Magic perk upgrades are disabled
- 5 lives maximum
- No Rage Mode

Also coming in the free update (due out in the following few weeks) are the following additions:
- Widescreen Mode
- Leaderboards
- 20 new achievements
- New enemies and traps

I'll keep you updated on DLC news when we're ready to share. Hope you like it when it all hits! :D
Everyone who hasn't bought this game should probably buy this game.

I'll post what I posted in the steam thread.

So I posted about this in the official thread for the game, but I thought I'd put it here since we've been given the go-ahead to talk about it publicly - we'll be releasing a combination of free and DLC updates for Super House of Dead Ninjas in the next 2-3 weeks, which will add new monsters and traps, weapons, game modes, rooms, achievements, a new character, widescreen mode, leaderboards, and a brand new extra-tough difficulty mode, and more.

Once we're closer to release date we'll be able to tell everyone a bit more about what exactly will be in the updates. But we hope you enjoy both when they arrive! :D

I'm excited.

But can you please not make the same mistake the binding of issac did and allow us to turn on and off stuff instead of just being stuck with new stuff if we end up not liking it?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Best surprise of the Steam sales for me. Awesome game and definitely worth a few £/$s of your cash :) Really fast, fun and fluid. Having a blast with it.

sixghost

Best surprise of the Steam sales for me. Awesome game and definitely worth a few £/$s of your cash :) Really fast, fun and fluid. Having a blast with it.

Completely agree with this. I wasn't really enjoying it at first, but loved it once I understood more about the game. Nothing is random, even the enemy that seem like they just appear out of nowhere and kill you have a tell if you are being observant. I absolutely love the change of pace in the gameplay at certain times. It's always tense as hell when the timer gets below 10, and triggering rage is never not fun. You get to go from being super careful to fucking burning through the floors killing literally anything in one hit. Those 2 mechanics make the game.

I finally purchased the game today and when i started it up, I couldn't do anything because apparently the game doesn't recognize my wired xbox 360 controller. I've tried Joy2Key and redownloading the game, but I'm not sure what to do next to get my controller working with this game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I finally purchased the game today and when i started it up, I couldn't do anything because apparently the game doesn't recognize my wired xbox 360 controller. I've tried Joy2Key and redownloading the game, but I'm not sure what to do next to get my controller working with this game.

Sorry about that, controller support was temporarily removed due to some players getting serious slowdown from it. It's going back in again very soon though as the problem has been fixed.

Haunted

There was a sick speedrun of this game on the Summer Games Done Quick stream.

Super House of Dead Ninjas

Definitely worth a watch. The game is fast as is, but that guy is just blazing through both the regular game and the Transdimensional Leakage in 10 minutes flat.

edit: also kudos to the devs for providing free updates to this. Good job, SovanJedi!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
No probs! We hope people enjoy the new stuff. :D Expect more in the future (I'm still working on the Steam Trading Cards right now, so that ought to make some people happy.)

And yeah, I saw that speedrun. Really impressive stuff! Somewhat breaks my heart that a game you spend months working on can be utterly destroyed like that in a few minutes, but at the same time it's nice to think people put enough into the game to discover these shortcuts and glitches and are devoted enough to try and get the fastest times possible.

Incidentally, that glitch to instakill Torment blew my fucking mind when I first saw it.

Maki Hirasawa

Neo Member
I sure do love the new stuff..

I cant believe how many hours im playing this game.

Still dont know how ppl manage to do that insane amounts of points o_o I get 500.000 achievement today and I was like "Horray!!!" O wait.... theres one for 2.000.000 points.
Thats insane D:

Happy to know the "lag" with the Xbox360 controller is solved.. I even though it was my PC fault :S (windows or something related)

O.DOGG

I've played a ton and I still suck at this game. Unlocking the light saber seems hopeless. I like the new DLC stuff by the way. Wish the new ninja had more detail though.

Nosgoroth

I LOVE THIS GAME. It feels so good.

Played for two hours, managed to beat the game on normal with one continue -> crapload of unlockables! I'm now rocking lightsaber & boomerang+ & dynamite.

I foresee a lot more playtime.

Top Bottom