• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super House of Dead Ninjas |OT|

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, what's up with that? There are also sometimes regular enemies with weird names.

"Named" enemies have a higher chance of dropping an "other" item, as well as bombs/projectiles/cash/one-ups.

I've spotted some of the "I died to X" as well, but there doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it that I've spotted.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Does this game have online features? Like Demon's Souls, sometimes there's ghosts that says someone has died at that spot at some particular time

Yeah, what's up with that? There are also sometimes regular enemies with weird names.

Those other ghosts are actually your own previous runs - there are white ghosts who look a little like you that explain how you lost your last life on your previous run, and the yellow ghosts are your best runs to date. These are independent of the white ghosts with swords through their heads, which just give general tips. No Dark Souls-like multiplayer ghost sightings, else things would get a bit cramped with the number of deaths! I think we did toy with that idea at one point though.

Regular enemies with names are just special names (somebody called them "champion" enemies, and I really like that name!) They are like regular enemies but have certain traits that make them trickier (fat ninjas take three hits to kill, birds move while bouncing, etc.) but always drop a pickup upon defeat.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I really enjoyed it as well.

Please excuse the slightly dated review.

Thanks, that was a really good review! Sorry about the bugs and lack of first-day controller support; we will strive to resolve every issue people send our way.

Valtýr;48769683 said:
Is there some trick in beating the second boss or am I just really bad at double jumping?

You can hold crouch for a second and do a super jump ala Super Mario Bros. 2.

Or get better at double-jumping.

Double-jump, spin-slash, boss dies pitifully.

This game is sooo much fun!! The random elements make it a surprise (different layout, enemies, items, bosses)! Of course, this means that you end up doing a lot better on some runs than others. Supposedly, the airspin attack (or whatever it is called) is extremely powerful, but I will need to practice using it.

Salsa

game is great

beat normal mode and got to that "secret" level after the.. decision, let's call it, in Hard mode

now this is where it gets real

Valtýr;48769683 said:
Is there some trick in beating the second boss or am I just really bad at double jumping?
Are you using a keyboard? The original up for jump controls made that second boss just instant kill me every time, but after plugging in a controller it was ridiculously easy.

Haunted

And even if you don't have a controller, you can still rebind the jump key on the keyboard in the options.

This game is really good. Bought it today for no real reason other than to pass the time and it was money well spent. I beat it on Normal and almost got to the bottom on Hard... almost. ):

The projectile-deflecting nunchucks are a necessity.

-Mikey-

Is there a point in buying the OST on steam since you get it as a reward in game?

Nevermind, I was looking at the new bit trip game and confused the two.

Definitely love this game a lot. I was browsing ASG site last night and came across Westerado as well, they need to full-release that game. It's like 8-bit RDR.

i can't stop playing this. i made it to floor 0 but got annihilated by the second boss. just unlocked the 4th continue and the kusarigama.

Haunted

Final boss is as big a sprite as I hoped it would be. :D

Fucking hard, though, killed me twice already. I think I've got his number now.

Have to say, I am loving this game.
Quick question though. You collect letters to spell out "HEREIAM?"
What does that actually do?

Salsa

weirdly enough I almost did everything there is to do in like 7 hours now

I guess its collecting letters to get tickets to that weird-ass trippy zone for me. Thats the only thing I havent completed.

Haunted

Beat the boss on normal and unlocked a bunch more stuff. Also rage mode'd for a long time, so that's my skilled gaming deed for the day done right there. Felt good.

Have to say, I am loving this game.
Quick question though. You collect letters to spell out "HEREIAM?"
What does that actually do?
They spell out
WHEREAMI?
and very time you complete a set you get a ticket to enter the Transdimensional leakage... but I don't know what that's about exactly, I haven't gone there yet. :D Some sort of a bonus challenge? Endless mode? I don't know.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just finished Mark of the Ninja, and saw the QL for this on Giant Bomb, and being in a ninja mood, was immediately interested. Might pick this up in the next couple day and play through.

dk_

I wish I could use the d-pad on my 360 controller. Just died a couple of times at the final boss (normal), because the stick is way to sensitive.

ArjanN

Beat the boss on normal and unlocked a bunch more stuff. Also rage mode'd for 110 seconds, so that's my skilled gaming deed for the day done right there. Felt good.

They spell out
WHEREAMI?
and very time you complete a set you get a ticket to enter the Transdimensional leakage... but I don't know what that's about exactly, I haven't gone there yet. :D Some sort of a bonus challenge? Endless mode? I don't know.

Transdimensional Leakage is another (much harder) tower with new bosses and EX versions of the normal bosses. It's not endless.

Can anyone tell me how to beat colossal ox? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but he just tears me a new one every time, and I have yet to do a single hit of damage on him. I assume his large glowing ball is the damage point, but I don't know how to reach it.

ArjanN

Can anyone tell me how to beat colossal ox? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but he just tears me a new one every time, and I have yet to do a single hit of damage on him. I assume his large glowing ball is the damage point, but I don't know how to reach it.

Just move to the side so he doesn't land on you. then jump on or over the fire-breathing statues and hit the edges of him, you can hit him anywhere. If that's too hard you can also drop bombs where he is going to land or hit them in his direction after he lands. Or use Magic.

Cranzor

Just watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Wow, this game looks like a game I'd love. I think I'll be getting it soon!

Just move to the side so he doesn't land on you. then jump on or over the fire-breathing statues and hit the edges of him, you can hit him anywhere. If that's too hard you can also drop bombs where he is going to land or hit them in his direction after he lands. Or use Magic.

Boomerang also wrecks him.

I need help with the
one armed ninja

Coconut

Banned
You know I'm fine with the retro aesthetic but please make your game support 16:9, unless the screen shots are misleading.

Draft

BTW, let's all take a moment and praise this game for including native X360 pad support. So many of these indie 2D titles ship without pad support, and that is annoying and frustrating. Just a wonderful game in a neat, polished package. Kudos.

big_z

The last boss on normal is kind of bullshit. He hits you before his hand even gets 1/5 of the way through the animation. How are you supposed to reliably dodge something that gives no indicator.

Btw what factors into which bosses you encounter? I know there's super versions of them but I can't figure out what makes them appear.

Coconut

Banned

Because we live in a world with wide screen TVs and it looks better with out the black bars and if they are going for the experience of a retro game I think the black bars take you out of that and are a reminder that you aren't in the world that this game was made in, some alternative 1980s.

I need help with the
one armed ninja
Boss spoilers

Main thing is to look for a pattern in his jumps. At first it seems kinda random but keep your distance and it'll make sense.

You can only hit him when he's about to attack (glowing). Before he attacks he's going to be facing you, so just jump behind him while doing a downward attack. This does good damage and puts you behind him, so his attack misses entirely. Look out though, he always runs in your direction after the attack.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The last boss on normal is kind of bullshit. He hits you before his hand even gets 1/5 of the way through the animation. How are you supposed to reliably dodge something that gives no indicator.

The best strategy to avoid his hand slams is to just Super Jump, wherever you are in the room. His hand never hits you in the air, only when it collides with the ground. Just don't hit the spiked walls in doing so!

Btw what factors into which bosses you encounter? I know there's super versions of them but I can't figure out what makes them appear.

In the normal tower, Spite and Torment are fought if your life count is 4 or below when you reach the boss room. Alternative bosses Rage and Doom are fought when you have 5 lives or more. It's boss dependent so you must have 5 lives or more at each boss room in order to access the alternate boss.

Bought this after watching the quick look on GB, I was pissed when they didn't have controller support, but I got over it and configured JoytoKey. the controller support they added still doesn't have d-pad support though. I enjoy going random, but that Rino boss was a bitch to beat. Lol ninja with a gun watch out.

ArjanN

If I remember correctly the last boss telegraphs his attack by first looking at where he's going to slam his hand down.

The EX versions of bosses are only in transdimensional leakage.

I think what boss you get is randomly selected from two different ones per 100 floors.

Haunted

In the normal tower, Spite and Torment are fought if your life count is 4 or below when you reach the boss room. Alternative bosses Rage and Doom are fought when you have 5 lives or more. It's boss dependent so you must have 5 lives or more at each boss room in order to access the alternate boss.
Aha! I was wondering about that but didn't make the health-connection. I thought it was based on speed or whether I triggered rage mode a certain number of times before reaching that point (with the name and all :p).

I still haven't unlocked any bomb upgrades, the blurb says to kill 25 fiends with bombs and I've killed a lot more than that. Is it 25 in one run with the default bomb, or are fiends a special enemy type or something?

Thank you for bringing this game to our attention, Haunted. It is great.
All thanks To SovanJedi for making it. It's a cool, slick game and definitely deserves the attention.

No d-pad support is about the only legitimate criticism I've read so far. :p

ArjanN

Aha! I was wondering about that but didn't make the health-connection. I thought it was based on speed or whether I triggered rage mode a certain number of times before reaching that point (with the name and all :p).

I still haven't unlocked any bomb upgrades, the blurb says to kill 25 fiends with bombs and I've killed a lot more than that. Is it 25 in one run with the default bomb, or are fiends a special enemy type or something?

In one run and I'm pretty sure 'fiend' is just any enemy.

Haunted

In one run and I'm pretty sure 'fiend' is just any enemy.
Dang, will try. I want to take it slow to complete some specific challenges, but then I get one of these rage powerups and how can I resist rushing through like 40 floors with that.

Top Bottom