• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Just beat S8-crown with both Mario and Luigi and with a gold flag and then beat Bowser again just for good measure. That's it. Done. 100%ed. Just in time for Zelda.

I hope they do something like they did with Galaxy 2 and give us a quick sequel. With Yoshi!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just 4 stared it at 12 hours 12 minutes play time. Trying to decide if its worth it to go for 5 before trading it off to someone else. It'd probably pretty quick to fly through each stage again now that i don't have to worry about the Star Medals.

*crawls out of his one month ban cell*

never have imagined this Mario would be less polarizing than SS

can hardly wait, sigh. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get my copy

I felt the same way as you, and at around the same point in the game too. Now that I've made it through the first eight worlds and am moving through the postgame content, the game is growing on me more and more. The bump up in challenge has helped me out a lot in appreciating what these levels have to offer, I think. I still don't think it's as high as the Galaxy games on my personal Mario hierarchy, but I'm willing to give it more time. Even if I don't wind up as hyped as some of the folks here are, it's still a solid platforming experience through and through and it's got that great "just one more level" quality about it that makes it really hard to get other things done.

Good to hear I am not the only one. I hope the game grows on me in the end.

AniHawk

Just beat S8-crown with both Mario and Luigi and with a gold flag and then beat Bowser again just for good measure. That's it. Done. 100%ed. Just in time for Zelda.

I hope they do something like they did with Galaxy 2 and give us a quick sequel. With Yoshi!

quick sequel? you mean sometime three years from now?

Sinthetic

This is a great game, I don't think I've fully digested how awesome it is because I've been playing it quickly. I'm going to go and do a slow run through when I get the 5 stars.

Ultimately, I think Skyward Sword will be my GOTY, but this is up there with the top few.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I haven't played Skyward Sword yet and I still have a bunch of game to go through with Skrim....

But wow this is fighting with Arkham City and Portal 2 for my GOTY so far. I'm just shocked at how good this is! SML3D is almost like my dream Mario game! A wonderful blend of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario Galaxy. It is crazy to think that I wasn't even a bit hyped for this before the day I picked it up. Never doubt Mario!

god, i frickin' LOOOVE this game. and it's so pretty too, isn't it?

It really is. It was obviously very pretty the whole time through, but the first time it really hit me was
when you reach the area where it is raining before the bowser fight in world 8. The way the torches cast the lighting on the rain slicked walls was really amazing to me, especially coming from my 3DS

That's when I realized HD Mario had already been released to the masses, and it was in my hands.

Wait, to get the shiny stars on my file, I can't die more than five times in a row on a given level right?

Only if you use the invincibility power-up that appear, maybe?

Actually, I don't have any stars on my save file yet, but I do have stars on my World tabs as I have all 3 coins in each of the worlds (up until 7, went back through them all before finishing World 8).

I really hope we get a Mario game this good at Wii U launch. Since Nintendo have recently said they don't want to make the same mistakes again it is possible... I guess it depends how big the new Mario team is if they could have two projects running at the same time. This is a stunning game, so much love.

BalrogTheMaster

Neo Member
I really hope we get a Mario game this good at Wii U launch. Since Nintendo have recently said they don't want to make the same mistakes again it is possible... I guess it depends how big the new Mario team is if they could have two projects running at the same time. This is a stunning game, so much love.

I don't think that'll happen, unfortunately. The SMG dev team is hard at work on it, but they were complaining that making an HD Mario game is hard with the puny budget Nintendo gave them. I just have this bad feeling they're going to make a bunch of half-assed games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only if you use the invincibility power-up that appear, maybe?

Actually, I don't have any stars on my save file yet, but I do have stars on my World tabs as I have all 3 coins in each of the worlds (up until 7, went back through them all before finishing World 8).

Nope. As soon as the box of shame appears you lose the shine.

I don't think that'll happen, unfortunately. The SMG dev team is hard at work on it, but they were complaining that making an HD Mario game is hard with the puny budget Nintendo gave them. I just have this bad feeling they're going to make a bunch of half-assed games.

WAT. Why would Nintendo give them a shit budget? Is that for real?

Anth0ny

Holy shit.

I just realized... this is the game I've always wanted. It's those Mario Sunshine special stages, made into it's own game. This is amazing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Charles Martinet sucks. Like in SMW, every time Mario jumps, you get that amazing WHOOP sound. Now Mario goddamn editorializes on everything. Guy needs to scale it back majorly. It's not cute. It's creepy.

I always thought Galaxy1/2 would stay the peak of great level/game design this gen. But I totally have a new champion. This game is pure magic. Hell, I even played it more than Zelda over the last days...

This game is just fantastic. It's such a great execution on years of Mario themes and gameplay coming together in a great big pot of awesome. It feels like Mario 1, Mario 3, Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy had a sexy love child.

Charles Martinet sucks. Like in SMW, every time Mario jumps, you get that amazing WHOOP sound. Now Mario goddamn editorializes on everything. Guy needs to scale it back majorly. It's not cute. It's creepy.

I disagree, everytime the yellow screen pops up after selecting a level with Mario saying "let's a go" it feels good. He is kinda creepy now that I think about it.

Depends on what you mean. You can start a new game on a new save file and try to keep your shiny stars on that run through.

I'm guessing this counts on the second portion of the game as well? I'm not there yet but I figure it would be pretty tough to get the shiny stars based on what others have been saying.

Sinthetic

There needs to be more love for small Mario, he makes me laugh so much. He runs fast as hell as has funny hat hair. You have to give him some loving. Especially
Cosmic Mario

Does anyone else love the Propeller as much as I do? It's a revelation.

Volodja

First game on 3DS for me and I have to say that the 3D is pleasant (the game looks great in general) but at the same time misplacing the console a little makes all go double and it can be problematic when it happens during a tricky spot.
But it doesn't matter, I'm liking this game a lot, much more than I did Galaxy and on another plane of existence compared to NSMB DS that I greatly disliked.
The platforming is very fun right from the very first levels, both from the physics and the level design point of view even if I have to admit that sometimes I'm annoyed at how Mario's max speed and acceleration are pretty slow and in general I often feel like I am not as free to move as I felt in other titles.

7 and a half hour in and I've completed all the standard levels with all the stars and the golden flags and I'm going around redoing the ones where I died at least once. After that I'll move on to the Special levels which I understand should be a little more challenging, right?

As a side note, the inclusion of a completion timer for every level makes me happy.

I think it's excellent.

I read one review that said it was one of the negatives of the game and once I got it in the game and saw how it worked, I don't understand what's wrong with it.

I guess they didn't like the concept or style of control because the execution is pretty much flawless.

A great new powerup.

Sinthetic

I think it's excellent.

I read one review that said it was one of the negatives of the game and once I got it in the game and saw how it worked, I don't understand what's wrong with it.

I guess they didn't like the concept or style of control because the execution is pretty much flawless.

A great new powerup.

Damn right my friend, I don't get how you could not like it. It's genius. Those sections where you have to land on the enemies to keep going are great and I love stringing up 1-Ups!

I need to say something important, these Draglet enemies are the cutest thing in the entire game, maybe the entire series (every time I see them, I run past them cause I don't want to hurt them ;\). In fact, the enemy variety in this game is outstanding.

560px-New_Dragon_Enemy.jpg

zigg

Okay. I now have 5 stars. I know exactly how you get the last 2, and essentially the first 3.

I had two sparkly stars after clearing W8 with incomplete gold flags but (IIRC) all coins. I'm not sure your #2 is right there.

I've got four now with all gold flags and all coins, and only replays to go to get #5.

Neiteio

I love Draglet too. :) My favorite new enemy, though, is probably the yellow sand-burrowing dragon that telegraphs its movement via shadow. What's his name, and does anyone have official art of him?

EDIT: According to the Mario Wiki, they're called Sandmaargh, making them a subspecies of Magmaargh. Is there official art available of them?

There needs to be more love for small Mario, he makes me laugh so much. He runs fast as hell as has funny hat hair. You have to give him some loving. Especially
Cosmic Mario

I don't enjoy the retcon of Super Mario just being normal Mario, and small Mario being the abnormal entity.

This is an important distinction!

Okay. I now have 5 stars. I know exactly how you get the last 2, and essentially the first 3.

Star 1: Complete 8-Castle -- credits play,
Special World unlocked.

Star 2:
This was unlocked for me after I rescued Luigi and beat all of Special World 1. I'm not sure if that unlocked it, or if it was unlocked because I beat the entire "standard" game without skipping any levels.

Star 3:
Beating Special 8-Castle adds a ! to the standard 8-Castle. I'm not sure if this star is unlocked by beating Special 8-Castle or by beating the "revamped" 8-Castle after doing so.

Star 4: Get all 3 Star Coins in each level,
INCLUDING the entire Special world

Star 5: In addition to having all the star coins (from the previous entry), get a Gold Flag on every level -and- complete every level with both Mario and Luigi.
Once you do so, this will unlock the extra Crown level in Special World 8.

I noticed that once you get 5 stars, the stars get shinier on the file select screen.

Not sure what the criteria was for me, but I have two stars after
finishing the first run through the game with Mario. I have Worlds 1-4 with all Gold flags and three coins each, but the rest are a mixture. I finished the game and now I have 2 stars on my save file.

Also..

#1 I finished the game and was expecting Luigi, when does he turn up? I saw a little cutscene showing the photo landing in a level but I've not seen it yet.

#2 On starting S-1 there was a invincible pickup right at the start, is that right? I guess it could just be teasing you. Having said that, I've not seen the regular Tanooki suit yet, is it not in the S courses?

thanks!

Did most people try to get all 3 gold coins in the first go at a level? I also didn't continue on to another level until I fully completed a previous level, which made the levels feel a lot harder than they actually are because I continued to die trying to get all the coins. I hope they do a sequel for it, and have a freakin world map that rivals SMW. That would be the mind blowing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo striked gold with this 3D isometric view, I want them to revisit other franchises with that style. Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario are the next following.

I always fall in love with little details and touches on Mario games. For this one, so far it's:

-Seeing the mini ghost house vortex at the front door on the world map screen in 3D. I don't know why, it's just a cool feeling seeing down that tunnel in 3D.

-The level 6 overworld tune, and

-Hearing the musical chime and seeing rainbow notes when you bounce on a musical platform.

Seriously, this game just brings a smile to almost everyone's face. A gem in true Mario form.

Peru

There are a lot of small touches of polish, the ones where you go "will this work?" and it does, like water droplets flying when you swirl with the tanooki tail standing in shallow water, and shooting fire balls at flowers.

I always fall in love with little details and touches on Mario games. For this one, so far it's:

-Seeing the mini ghost house vortex at the front door on the world map screen in 3D. I don't know why, it's just a cool feeling seeing down that tunnel in 3D.

-The level 6 overworld tune, and

-Hearing the musical chime and seeing rainbow notes when you bounce on a musical platform.

Seriously, this game just brings a smile to almost everyone's face. A gem in true Mario form.

I love those little music platforms. They don't do anything do they? They are just white and emit a sound? I know there are other ones which take you to a bonus stage, but the regular ones do nothing, right?

It would be nice to be able to track which levels you have finished as
Mario and Luigi. I just did a couple with Luigi and there is nothing to say I did it.

Whats the deal with the Tanooki suit in S worlds? It looks like the invincible power up, its not though is it?

disco

The levels with bubbles in and the reflection on the castle on the final level are truly magnificent. Seriously this game is pretty much on a graphical par with Galaxy.

Chorazin

I love those little music platforms. They don't do anything do they? They are just white and emit a sound? I know there are other ones which take you to a bonus stage, but the regular ones do nothing, right?

It would be nice to be able to track which levels you have finished as
Mario and Luigi. I just did a couple with Luigi and there is nothing to say I did it.

Whats the deal with the Tanooki suit in S worlds? It looks like the invincible power up, its not though is it?

Do a butt stomp with the silver leaf suit on. :)

Top Bottom