• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Bgamer90

Banned
I know I posted it in some other thread but here's my video review of the game:

-Video Review-

Overall I enjoyed it but it didn't make a lasting impression on me. The sort of overdone 3D perspective of the game was a bit hard for me to get use to at first alongside the game's loose controls in comparison to other mario games.

Wolfe

I'm having trouble digging through the thread for info so maybe one of you guys could clue me in.

So I finished the entire game with Mario and then while beating all the levels again with Luigi I picked up the rest of the gold flags I had missed but on the save file I still only have 3 stars and no new level opened up after being the final castle in S8. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm still short on a few star coins so I don't know if that has any bearing on it but I'm at a loss to what else it might be. I double checked them twice and every level has an L for Luigi, an M for Mario and a gold flag.

Sagitario

I'm having trouble digging through the thread for info so maybe one of you guys could clue me in.

So I finished the entire game with Mario and then while beating all the levels again with Luigi I picked up the rest of the gold flags I had missed but on the save file I still only have 3 stars and no new level opened up after being the final castle in S8. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm still short on a few star coins so I don't know if that has any bearing on it but I'm at a loss to what else it might be. I double checked them twice and every level has an L for Luigi, an M for Mario and a gold flag.

Code:
Unlockable	How to Unlock
Fifth Star	[SPOILER]Have all stages cleared with both Mario and Luigi, and have gotten a Golden Flagpole on each[/SPOILER]
First Star	[SPOILER]Defeat Bowser in World 8's second Castle[/SPOILER]
Fourth Star	[SPOILER]Obtain all 285 Star Medals, not including the ones from Mystery Boxes[/SPOILER]
Second Star	[SPOILER]Clear all stages in the first 8 Worlds[/SPOILER]
Third Star	[SPOILER]Defeat Bowser in World 8's second Castle again after defeating him in Special World 8's Castle[/SPOILER]

You're probably missing some star coins and have to beat Bowser again.

Wolfe

You're probably missing some star coins and have to beat Bowser again.

You're right it was the coins, I grabbed the last of them and now have 5 stars and the exclamation point level is available now.

Does anything else happen after I finish that level? I thought I remembered someone mentioning something extra occurring with the save file.

ghibli99

-Video Review-

Overall I enjoyed it but it didn't make a lasting impression on me. The sort of overdone 3D perspective of the game was a bit hard for me to get use to at first alongside the game's loose controls in comparison to other mario games.
You're kind of hard to listen to since it's clear you're reading something, and not reading it naturally. Were you nervous/uncomfortable recording your voice? The AVGN making-of video provides some really good pointers for making sure you get all of your points across clearly while adding those moments in where it really sounds like you're playing the game at the same time.

-Video Review-

I enjoy your videos man. Good work.

ghibli99

Does anything else happen after I finish that level? I thought I remembered someone mentioning something extra occurring with the save file.
Nothing that I'm aware of. Just the pride in knowing you beat one of the hardest levels in the series. :) I really wish they could have given you a Mario crown for your Mii.

DocStar

Neo Member
Who for fucks sake, thought that it would be a good idea to put a time limit on a level AND LET THAT SHIT FUCKING BASTARD TRYING TO CATCH YOU???

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on 7-Castle?

Edit: Just beat it ... WOW those Special Levels are really challenging!

Sagitario

37Y6c.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Got this today, blazed through it for a few hours, got until world 5. So far I like everything good enough to call it a solid piece of entertainment. The 3D adds enough depth to not be shallow (for some reason it also doesn't hurt my eyes when slider is full :)). The levels have the right length for the most part (although in the end I'd prefer SMB3 style levels more).

Only complaints I have are minor technical things and some design decisions that make the game feel like it was done by a B team at Nintendo. Did Miyamoto do anything in this one? I hope that at some point Nintendo brings their top game onto the 3DS with Mario, the graphics are perfect for the Mario style and a Galaxy-like game would be amazing on it.

-Video Review-

You put a lot of work into that. Good stuff, man :)

Bgamer90

Banned
You put a lot of work into that. Good stuff, man :)

I enjoy your videos man. Good work.

Thanks guys. :)

You're kind of hard to listen to since it's clear you're reading something, and not reading it naturally. Were you nervous/uncomfortable recording your voice? The AVGN making-of video provides some really good pointers for making sure you get all of your points across clearly while adding those moments in where it really sounds like you're playing the game at the same time.

I write reviews before recording/editing the videos so I am reading from a script. What I do is more similar to how major gaming news sites do video reviews in comparison to what James does with AVGN. It's more of a reflection or a look back.

I did check out the AVGN video months ago and it's funny since me and James both use the same techniques when it comes to editing which I found to be cool since I really just started getting into editing videos about a year ago (I'm still pretty new to doing it).

But yeah, I'm going to try to make my reviews sound less scripted in the future if possible (maybe via adding blank spaces in my reviews). Thanks for the feedback :)

(And sorry for making things in this thread go a bit off topic)

ghibli99

I write reviews before recording/editing the videos so I am reading from a script. What I do is more similar to how major gaming news sites do video reviews in comparison to what James does with AVGN. It's more of a reflection or a look back.

I did check out the AVGN video months ago and it's funny since me and James both use the same techniques when it comes to editing which I found to be cool since I really just started getting into editing videos about a year ago (I'm still pretty new to doing it).

But yeah, I'm going to try to make my reviews sound less scripted in the future if possible (maybe via adding blank spaces in my reviews). Thanks for the feedback :)

(And sorry for making things in this thread go a bit off topic)
Word. Keep at it, man... they'll continue to get better as you refine your techniques. I've always wanted to try this, but time just ain't on my side! And since I didn't say it before, I thought the actual content and observations in your review were good. :)

There are some new levels, also harder than the normal worlds.
So if (lack of) difficulty is your complain you should try the special worlds although to me the special worlds is the second part of the game, not something extra.

currently in world s3 and im glad i listened to you and kept going. this is hard but fun, and there were a few new levels so far i believe :D cant wait to dig in even more.

Mzo

Record yourself just talking to your friends casually, and compare that to how you sound in the video. Finding a good balance between the two should help. It sounds like you're pausing between some random words where there normally shouldn't be any pauses. My best guess is that these are the line breaks. If you're going to read off a script, it needs to sound a lot more fluid than that.

Obviously practice makes everything better. Just having the drive and courage to make a video and post it is admirable enough; everything else will come with time.

Just finished the game. (What I consider to be "finished").

Completed all 8 worlds and all 8 special worlds with all coins collected and all golden flags. Have 4 stars on my save file. I might get around to completing the levels again with Luigi but not right now. I ended up with 330 coins. What is the highest amount? Are there coins I have missed that are not from Streetpass?

MooMoo

Finally beat the game, including S8-Crown (which was hard as crap >.<). I wasn't blown away by the game but it's definitely a clean, polished platforming experience. I almost wish this game had a way of tagging levels as favorites or maybe making up your own worlds (sort of like how in MK7 you can make your own Grand Prixs) just so that in the future I could select the levels I know I definitely enjoyed.

mutsu

Finally finished 8-Crown (took a while for me as I insisted on not using tanooki suit) with both Mario and Luigi.

I seem to have completed everything, but how do I get the Crown-Crown-Crown life?

NEO0MJ

Finally finished 8-Crown (took a while for me as I insisted on not using tanooki suit) with both Mario and Luigi.

I seem to have completed everything, but how do I get the Crown-Crown-Crown life?

You need a total of 1110 lives. Just to to level 1-2 and do the shell trick.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Now at special world 2. Still fun, although I was hoping it'd be a bit more challenging, Time Trial levels are too easy

What's the crown stuff? Levels beyond special?

Chuckpebble

Is there a simple way to keep track of which levels I've beaten with whom? I'm almost done going straight through the normal 8 world again, but I can see myself getting confused with the S-levels.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is there a simple way to keep track of which levels I've beaten with whom? I'm almost done going straight through the normal 8 world again, but I can see myself getting confused with the S-levels.

After you complete the final special world and see the credits it'll show you all completion information.

I have barely touched this recently due to Swap Note and Pushmo but I had a quick play earlier and noticed something that I had either forgotten about or just not picked up before i.e. the airships/castles have little white flags of surrender when one has completed them! :)

Little touches like that might seem inconsequential but really add to the appreciation of a game, for me.

I think once you beat normal 8 boss level with Luigi, you get icons next to the flag on the world map indicating M and L.

zigg

As far as I know some of them regenerate every day with new medals. Not sure though.
I've been at this since the game came out and it's been my experience that the regenerating boxes do not come with new medals unless they're a box you haven't seen before, but every StreetPass box (regardless of its repeat status) does.

I'm at 407 or something now with that. It'll take a loooong time to max that out, if it's possible. It would be cool if it was :D

ghibli99

Regarding Cosmic Mario, I think I had the hardest time on the music/timing-based level. I had to take a short break since I hit a mental block with that one for a while. After I took that break, it was much easier, and it only took a few tries after that.

timnich

Finally beat everything the game has to offer, at exactly 30:00 hours. Crazy!

Did anyone else not realize that you could take the platform to the end of Special 8- Crown? I died so many times trying to jump across the flipping tiles before I noticed that platform...

jkoch

I got a new 3DS and Mario 3D Land last night. I got to the first mystery box level, and missed the star coin because I didn't grab it in time since I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. I can't retry the level. Will I get another chance some time? Also, it mentioned that more mystery boxes would open up when someone walks past me. At least I think that's what it said. What is that supposed to mean?

timnich

I got a new 3DS and Mario 3D Land last night. I got to the first mystery box level, and missed the star coin because I didn't grab it in time since I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. I can't retry the level. Will I get another chance some time? Also, it mentioned that more mystery boxes would open up when someone walks past me. At least I think that's what it said. What is that supposed to mean?

Don't worry too much about missing the star coins in the mystery boxes, they respawn everyday and aren't mandatory to complete the game 100%. They're just there to provide extra coins in case you have trouble collecting the coins in real stages.

jkoch

Don't worry too much about missing the star coins in the mystery boxes, they respawn everyday and aren't mandatory to complete the game 100%. They're just there to provide extra coins in case you have trouble collecting the coins in real stages.

Great, thanks.

zigg

They're just there to provide extra coins in case you have trouble collecting the coins in real stages.
Also they're fun. I've been playing a few several days per week (particularly when StreetPassed) since I got my five sparkly stars.

zigg

So I got this from a Mystery Box today.

Ai6p-aUCMAAdH3E.jpg

This was the first time I'd ever seen one and I've gotta admit I was kinda disappointed. It just gives you a dialog box asking if you want to skip the level! I pulled it out in S8-Crown and... yeah. Boring!

Finished S8-Crown last night with both Mario and Luigi. And although I used the Tanooki suit, I'm proud to say I pushed myself to finish the level without losing it which is not easy at all, especially with Mario and
on the fire chains when using the green arrow lift
. I'm now starting on finishing it without the suit. What an amazing game, right up there with both Galaxy titles and definitely a worthy successor to SMB 3 (if only it had the Koopa kids and not just Boom Boom and Pom Pom). If they make a sequel I'd like them to figure out a way to add true flight to the suit, even if it's something simple like occasional "P Wing stages" as an idea, ie: 2D auto scrolling and you have to dodge enemies while flying.

Top Bottom