• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

ghibli99

^^^ Congrats!

This was the first time I'd ever seen one and I've gotta admit I was kinda disappointed. It just gives you a dialog box asking if you want to skip the level! I pulled it out in S8-Crown and... yeah. Boring!
LOL... yeah, kinda defeats the purpose!

Tom_Cody

God I love this game.

I have 8-crown unlocked but I haven't beaten it yet. In between attempts at that level I have started to go back and try to beat all of the rival times that I'm presented with. The replay value for the this game is endless.

Now I just need to take a walk through Times Square in order to get some new street pass tags.

I bought a 3DS for it and have not been disappointed. Guess it depends on your budget though...

I'm not on a tight budget or anything like that so I may buy one today.

Edit:

Just ordered a 3DS, Super Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Star Fox. Time to relieve my N64 days in 3D!

Tunavi

Banned
I'm not on a tight budget or anything like that so I may buy one today.

Edit:

Just ordered a 3DS, Super Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Star Fox. Time to relieve my N64 days in 3D!
Congrats. 3D land brought me back to the days of Super Mario Bros 3
on my GBA

So I got this from a Mystery Box today.

[ig]https://p.twimg.com/Ai6p-aUCMAAdH3E.jpg[/img]

This was the first time I'd ever seen one and I've gotta admit I was kinda disappointed. It just gives you a dialog box asking if you want to skip the level! I pulled it out in S8-Crown and... yeah. Boring!

You think it has something to do with the date? Because, I got the exact same Mystery Box today. I immediately picked up two other power-ups to resist the temptation to use it in S8-Crown.

Also got a box with two coins and a whole lot of Tanooki leaves (15 or so).

Lijik

Been slowly plugging away at this. I recently got all of the Star Coins and Gold flags in the first set of worlds! Right now I'm going through the stages I've already cleared in the S worlds and getting all of the coins in those and playing just enough to have all of the stages open.

Pushmo is definitely at the top of my list of eShop games I want.
It's also the only eShop game I know of.
Mighty Switch Force and Freaky Forms (if you love creating things) are two other eshop titles to look into!

VVVVVV too. The circle pad makes some of the game easier for me (Doing Things The Hard Way especially!) so its worth a replay even if you already own it

zigg

You think it has something to do with the date? Because, I got the exact same Mystery Box today. I immediately picked up two other power-ups to resist the temptation to use it in S8-Crown.
The box I had was a gold box with two medals, fifteen leaves and the P-Wing in the corner. I'd seen it before, actually, but picked it up in the wrong order :)

I'd already cleared S8-Crown with M & L the "proper" way so I was just fooling around. It's pointless, sadly. Doesn't record my three-second clear time :lol

Woo!

Now how do I re-play the game from scratch and get them all spangly, again? Is it five or more deaths in a stage in total? Or is it no more than five or more deaths in a stage in one play session? [I know this doesn't apply to the S Worlds just the normal ones]

Clarification of this point would be appreciated before I start a new save file.

Roto13

Woo!

Now how do I re-play the game from scratch and get them all spangly, again? Is it five or more deaths in a stage in total? Or is it no more than five or more deaths in a stage in one play session? [I know this doesn't apply to the S Worlds just the normal ones]

Clarification of this point would be appreciated before I start a new save file.

Five deaths in a row. If the gold tanooki leaf appears, you've lost your shine (unless you quit without saving).

Five deaths in a row. If the gold tanooki leaf appears, you've lost your shine (unless you quit without saving).

Ah, thanks sir :).

So if I quit but save, those deaths will count towards any further deaths :/. Bugger.

However, if I quit without saving to avoid the unspanglyness then that will feel like cheating and I won't fully enjoy the achievement of the spanglyness.

Well I had best get better at the game then! :)

Just wanted to say how much I love the street pass features for this game and how much replay value it adds. There was a guy I tagged a few weeks ago who had very good level times, I spent a week beating them. So today I went to the mall to have some lunch and get more tags, I tagged him again. Now he has better scores than me on several of the levels I previously bested him on (not many of 'em though ha!) and a new guy with even better times than both of us on certain stages. It's like futuristic arcade leaderboard rivalries, I love it!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just beat the crown level (without tanoki suit). Probably one of the hardest Mario Levels I can remember playing. Amazing game, my personal favorite Mario game of all time actually.

But how does the Rival Time Attack Mode work? Whenever I streetpass people I just get items sent to me. I've never seen a Time Attack Mode selection or had someone send me their times.

I'm probably overlooking something super obvious lol, Can someone fill me in?

MooMoo

Just beat the crown level (without tanoki suit). Probably one of the hardest Mario Levels I can remember playing. Amazing game, my personal favorite Mario game of all time actually.

But how does the Rival Time Attack Mode work? Whenever I streetpass people I just get items sent to me. I've never seen a Time Attack Mode selection or had someone send me their times.

On the level select screen, take a look at the touch screen. If you've StreetPassed someone, there should be a picture of their Mii and their respective clear time and the Mii/clear time will alternate between showing your best time and their best time.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

The game only displays a rival time for a level after you earn a record time for that level. You have to beat a level without dieing for your time to be recorded.

If you used multiple lives on a level, no "best/rival" time will be displayed until you beat it without dieing.

Skiesofwonder

On the level select screen, take a look at the touch screen. If you've StreetPassed someone, there should be a picture of their Mii and their respective clear time and the Mii/clear time will alternate between showing your best time and their best time.
\

Ah ok thanks! I see it now.

Too bad everybody I have street-passed is kinda lacking in fast times....... cool feature though!

Marlowe89

After finishing the second quest and then getting that last 3D photograph, I just wanted to drop by and say this game just exceeded my expectations in spite of the lackluster challenge of the first playthrough. Skyward Sword was previously my top Nintendo GOTY choice, but I think this one pretty much surpasses that due to the amount of replayability the game offers. Now I'm trying to 100% my file, so this will definitely keep me occupied. Extremely likable and fun game.

ghibli99

It's been great to see opinion on this game shift in such a positive way since its release. So many games start off strong and then lose their luster later, but this game keeps giving until the very end, keeping quality high the whole way through.

I might be the only one saying this, but after doing all 16 worlds I can honestly say I prefer 3Dland over Galaxy 1 and 2. It's just something about the game that has a lot more charm, and also it doesn't even try for a story which cuts all the unneeded fat. None of that "cake" business.

Pure undiluted mario at it's best.

Tunavi

Banned
I might be the only one saying this, but after doing all 16 worlds I can honestly say I prefer 3Dland over Galaxy 1 and 2. It's just something about the game that has a lot more charm, and also it doesn't even try for a story which cuts all the uneeded fat. None of that "cake" business.

Its the true sequel to SMB3 that we all needed.

Dunlop

Just picked this up for my kids, could't play it at first because it said an update was required.

I wasn't at home at the time and couldn't seem to find a way to install it directly from the game (I assume the update is on the cartrige. It's fine after I got on my wifie.

For future reference to avoid upset kiddies, is there a step I missed?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dear god I finally got 100% on this game.

spoilers for 100% obviously

was stuck on a plane for 24 hours. I think I spend 5 of those hours trying to beat the last level with luigi.

I have 307 coins. is that maxed? Seems maxed. I have all levels including the crown level with both mario and luigi and yellow flags for all

Bentendo

I might be the only one saying this, but after doing all 16 worlds I can honestly say I prefer 3Dland over Galaxy 1 and 2. It's just something about the game that has a lot more charm, and also it doesn't even try for a story which cuts all the unneeded fat. None of that "cake" business.

I'm definitely starting to feel that way. I'm trying to go through the game a second time, trying to get all of the flags and trying not to get more than four deaths per stage to get all of the stars.

Tunavi

Banned
Okay, so I beat the game and I'm on my way to 100 percent coins.

This game is already one of my favorite games of all time. Worthy sequel to SMB3.

This game and the Galaxy game's feel very different. This one really does feel like 2D Mario translated into 3D
Which is a better direction for the franchise for me personally. Maybe its a nostalgia thing.

Okay, so I beat the game and I'm on my way to 100 percent coins.

This game is already one of my favorite games of all time. Worthy sequel to SMB3.

Tunavi, you replaying the special worlds as Luigi? I think you need to do that for the "true" ending or something.

Tunavi

Banned
Which is a better direction for the franchise for me personally. Maybe its a nostalgia thing.

Tunavi, you replaying the special worlds as Luigi? I think you need to do that for the "true" ending or something.
2d Sidescroller mario is best mario.

Do I have to get all the coins too? Or just play the Special levels as luigi?

2d Sidescroller mario is best mario.

Do I have to get all the coins too? Or just play the Special levels as luigi?

Probably have to get all the coins in every world too. Though replaying as Luigi when you're already familiar with the levels is a breeze.

olimpia84

Got this today and got to the second world. I'm absolutely LOVING this game. It's a bit too easy (at least so far) but that doesn't seem to be bothering me too much. The level design and the art direction is simply brilliant...I only have an hour of playtime and this has already become one of my favorite Mario games!

Got this today and got to the second world. I'm absolutely LOVING this game. It's a bit too easy (at least so far) but that doesn't seem to be bothering me too much. The level design and the art direction is simply brilliant...I only have an hour of playtime and this has already become one of my favorite Mario games!

Get to the special worlds and you won't be saying "easy" with some of the star coins. If you run through the special worlds I say it's still "average" platformer player level of difficulty; the placements of the coins are very clever though so you'll feel the pain after world 8.

I'm so hooked on this game. Nearing 200 gold medallion thingies. I didn't really fall for it until I finished the "regular" words and moved on to the specials and started working on 100% completion. It really is a great refinement of the series, it takes all the best things from not only Galaxy and NSMB, but even the classic games.

When Snug state something it is true.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm so hooked on this game. Almost got 200 gold medallion thingies. I didn't really fall for it until I finished the main set of worlds and moved on to the specials and started working towards 100% completion. It really is the perfect refinement of the series, it takes all the best things from not only Galaxy and NSMB, but even the classic games. So good.

edit - wait no, I have 225 medallions lol

Celine

Currently trying to beat the true last level.
It's kicking my ass but it doesn't seems that hard ( I'm doing it without the tanooki suit ).

Do I need to complete it with both Luigi and Mario ?

clemenx

Banned
I can't beat the last last level, it's physically impossible for me to do it. I think I'm shelving this forever. Got ~30 hours out of it.

Skiesofwonder

I can't beat the last last level, it's physically impossible for me to do it. I think I'm shelving this forever. Got ~30 hours out of it.

It really beats you up during the beginning section with its tricky platforming, but once you get pass the bosses, the second section is much easier (imo). Here are some basic tips I picked up on from trial and error:

- In the first zone you can jump through without dealing with the hammer bros. I usually just avoid them all together by taking the path to the left, then crossing over when the boomerang bro shows up. I usually never get hit.

- If you hold A after jumping you will automatically get a jump boost from the goomba/toads. I had a problem trying to time the button press perfectly with the landing, which made it a lot tougher.

- On the 6 blocks that have one space between them, if you hold the run button you will run over them without having to jump on each single one.

- I usually stay on the top platform when battling the two bosses, and then jump on the bottom one when he gets dizzy, then back to the top. Rinse and repeat.

- No matter what side on the switch platform you are, it will automatically fall all the way down once it leaves the beginning platform. so you can get a good running start to jump to next one without worrying about you movements making it fall into the pit.

- The bombs don't do any damage unless you are right next to them.

- Jump over the flames when them come towards you, try not to dodge left and right. the two layer flames alternate to where you can jump right over the bottom one while not hitting the top one.

- You can jump straight over the torch walls.

- There is a yellow platform that you can ride past the green switches.

The level is pretty hard, especially compared to the rest of the game. But don't beat yourself up, once you master the first section before the bosses, you can slowly conquer the second part by trial and error. Obviously if you are not using the Tanooki suit then you should try that because it makes it a lot easier.

It's really satisfying when you finally beat it! :)

PKrockin

- Jump over the flames when them come towards you, try not to dodge left and right. the two layer flames alternate to where you can jump right over the bottom one while not hitting the top one.

There's a spot you can stand on the left side where the flames can't reach you.

So I've rescued Luigi, nabbed all coins and yellow flags up to that point, got my first two spangly stars [woo!] with masses of lives and only 50 odd deaths.

I'm pretty chuffed with that given I only cheated at a couple of points and especially when I think of how many deaths I have on my first save file! I would say how many but I'm full of man flu and don't feel like being laughed at on the internet right now.

I think I'm going to finish off the Special Worlds on that save file and then re-start completely on the third save file slot. The spangly stars look nice but they'll look even nicer when I haven't cheated at all :).

I take it however that once a level has been cleared that wipes any failures off in respect of the gold tanooki leaf aspect, yes? So if I fail a couple of times on a level as Mario and then play the same level as Luigi, those deaths won't count towards earning the gold tanooki leaf.

If that's the case then I should be able to get five spangly stars without too much trouble as long as I don't get too complacent and make too many careless errors.

Celine

Fucking last level.
They expect you exactly know how long is your jump related to one fucking spot and with Luigi + shitty control (tm) that isn't easy ( that is it isn't easy to pull it off reliably without jump off a cliff).

Ironically I went farthest yesterday than today.

Fucking last level.
They expect you exactly know how long is your jump related to one fucking spot and with Luigi + shitty control (tm) that isn't easy ( that is it isn't easy to pull it off reliably without jump off a cliff).

Ironically I went farthest yesterday than today.

Heh, I haven't even loaded it up yet. I don't want it to kill my enthusiasm for the game until I've done everything else I want to do in the game first. If I then fail to clear it like I did with the equivalent in SMG2 then c'est la vie :).

Celine

Heh, I haven't even loaded it up yet. I don't want it to kill my enthusiasm for the game until I've done everything else I want to do in the game first. If I then fail to clear it like I did with the equivalent in SMG2 then c'est la vie :).
Don't think there is much a problem clearing it with the tanooki suit.

Top Bottom