• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

So, I have no Wii U friends (sad face), but on one particular level my own Ghost Mii popped up. Does this happen when you cross a certain score/time threshold, or is it random, or limited to certain levels, or what?

Daouzin

I'm stuck..

In the Star World, I am in the level with the canon boxes, there are two arrows pointing up but no platforms, am I supposed to jump on the canon balls to go up?

Note when bouncing, you jump once from the bottom and hold the button. Your character will auto bounce off anything it hits so you don't have to time any button presses.

Expert advice. I discovered this the hard way.

Not that difficult once you utilize this, but yeah, first time I was at the canon portion, I was like, WTF, especially because I refused to make it up the wall without the Canon power up.

roknin

Anyone else think the Tanooki suit is wasted in this game? You can't fly, the cat suit's powers are superior to it, and Peach can hover/float without it. So what's the point of including it?

Peach's float isn't nearly as long as Tanooki Suit float... and with it, she floats even longer than usual IIRC.

I wouldn't say Cat Suit is superior. They have different functions for different things - ie., Tanooki is much better for platforming segments where there's no walls nearby and you don't want to risk long dives.

Davey Cakes

cat suit definitely has some risk/reward to it... i've dived to my doom many-a-time. :(
I once missed a flagpole and fell to my doom. Haha.

Final Captain Toad level music rocks.

Then again, all the music rocks.
I know people were praising the soundtrack prior to release but now that I've played the game, yeah the soundtrack is incredible.

One of my favorites is the Double Cherry Pass theme.

rnaud

Note when bouncing, you jump once from the bottom and hold the button. Your character will auto bounce off anything it hits so you don't have to time any button presses.

That's actually super useful, I was always trying to time my next bounce and most time it failed.

Aeana

Okay, I just ran myself out of time twice looking for a way to get to the balcony at the top of Peepa's Fog Bog. Any help?

LocalE

You fucking don't fucking touch my fucking wall fucking jump !

I know, right?
I also do kinda wish they could grab edges and clamber up on platforms as well. And having the dive and triple jump back would be great.
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game, but in my mind it would be better with more of the old moves available. Triple jumping, diving, sliding on their bellies - it would just make traversing the levels more fun for me, I think.

The Boat

The last level has destroyed me. I am a broken man, my back is bent, my bones are brittle, my eyes foggy and my soul is gone, hanging in EAD Tokyo's trophy room.

I know, right?
I also do kinda wish they could grab edges and clamber up on platforms as well. And having the dive and triple jump back would be great.
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game, but in my mind it would be better with more of the old moves available. Triple jumping, diving, sliding on their bellies - it would just make traversing the levels more fun for me, I think.
My biggest complaint is no triple jump. Even NSMB kept it. The air cat attack feels similar to a dive so I'm okay with that. And the long jump attack is a nice addition in 3D Land that made it over to World.

Gartooth

The stamp in 6-3 is grade A bullshit. I found every other collectible in the game on my own except that one where I had to go online and find its location just to preserve my sanity.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you preorder on wiiU? Otherwise I'm going to have to remember to start it downloading early tomorrow, before I head off for my PS4

4cc106ba2bc9507fbe6a7b9ce204a729.jpg

It's so fluuuuuffyyyyy! Finally the wait is over in Europe

MegalonJJ

Banned
Can you preorder on wiiU? Otherwise I'm going to have to remember to start it downloading early tomorrow, before I head off for my PS4

No, but you can start download at midnight/tomorrow morning and enable standby functions, so it downloads and installs itself whilst the machine is off and you're out.

I've been taking my time with this one; clearing a world, then going back and getting all the stars/stamps/flags. Just finished up World 6, so I haven't gotten to the really hard stuff, but I just wanted to say doublefuck 3-2 (Chain-link Charge). Died there so many times.

galvatron

The stamp in 6-3 is grade A bullshit. I found every other collectible in the game on my own except that one where I had to go online and find its location just to preserve my sanity.

This is the only stamp I have left to get. Trying not to look it up...easily the hardest to find in the game for me. Maybe it's easier for people who have played 3d land?

I've been taking my time with this one; clearing a world, then going back and getting all the stars/stamps/flags. Just finished up World 6, so I haven't gotten to the really hard stuff, but I just wanted to say doublefuck 3-2 (Chain-link Charge). Died there so many times.

I died there until I figured out that it was only hard for me due to weirdness in their physics.
Once i figured out that I was leaving contact with a rising fence while climbing over it, I knocked it right out.

Vaiim

Got mine a day early too :D First time I've ordered from GameSeek.

In two minds whether to play it now though, still putting the finishing touches on my Zelda: LBW 100%, so might wait until tomorrow. Spoilt with gaming goodness.

Chain link Charge is an infamous difficult level, especially with multiplayer :p

To everyone who just got a copy, welcome to the train!!!

Gartooth

This is the only stamp I have left to get. Trying not to look it up...easily the hardest to find in the game for me. Maybe it's easier for people who have played 3d land?

No, I played 3D Land and trust me that stamp location is evil. Let me put it this way, they put a secret in a location no one will check and there isn't any visual cues to make you think to check that area.

In regards to Chain Link Charge, I managed to actually beat it with all collectables on my first run, but it definitely was one of the most difficult levels I had played that far into the game so I can see why a lot of people stumbled on it.

Jerrod

The last level has destroyed me. I am a broken man, my back is bent, my bones are brittle, my eyes foggy and my soul is gone, hanging in EAD Tokyo's trophy room.
I know right. My niece spent 3 days on her own just beating it once, and then last night her and I spent 3 hours on it playing it and couldn't even finish. Tanooki suits make the level easier, but we still couldn't beat it...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
No, I played 3D Land and trust me that stamp location is evil. Let me put it this way, they put a secret in a location no one will check and there isn't any visual cues to make you think to check that area.
I had to re-watch my playthrough to confirm it, but there actually is a visual cue. It's very subtle though.

JoeM86

My postman didn't come at all today. He has been a bit slack all week, my prescription for my inhalers was meant to come in the post on Monday, didn't come until yesterday.

I'll be surprised if I get Mario tomorrow, tbh. Bloody Royal Mail

matthwq

Banned
Playing this right meow, drunk and alone on Thanksgiving. (Live kind of far from family.)

Honestly, not as depressing as that sounds. Probably the "drunk" part helping.

Not to mention it's the best game I've played in years.

Anteo

What does this mean? haha

Beyond World 8 there is more?
I'm only at World 7 but was kind of bummed at how short the game is.

Of course. I mean why would you not expect more stages after world 8. What was the last Mario game that had no extra stages after the final boss?

afoni

Banned
Can someone take a picture of the game disc itself? I've not seen the disc art yet and I'd like to see it without risking a google search full of spoilers.

Kacho

Of course. I mean why would you not expect more stages after world 8. What was the last Mario game that had no extra stages after the final boss?

I just didn't know what to expect. Thought the game might have been rushed to market so it may have lacked content. Happy to hear there is more. :)

I died there until I figured out that it was only hard for me due to weirdness in their physics.
Once i figured out that I was leaving contact with a rising fence while climbing over it, I knocked it right out.
Yeah, my big snag was getting the hang of targeting my landing after jumping off of the fences. Plus a lot of kitty dive bombs into bottomless pits.

Top Bottom