• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

There seems to be a lot of music missing from Yoshi's VGM's youtube channel (the only one that's uploading the soundtracks in highish quality). Such as the bullet train music in the ice world, the music from bowser's bullet bill brigade, and some of the special stage themes like
world mushroom
. Anyone know where those are online?

Darryl

Banned
So, I have no Wii U friends (sad face), but on one particular level my own Ghost Mii popped up. Does this happen when you cross a certain score/time threshold, or is it random, or limited to certain levels, or what?

From what it looked like to me it was just a random save. Haven't seen any indication that it would be limited to certain levels.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I really want to go back and replay 3D Land sometime, but the 3DS itself just irritates me.

Don't like the circle pad. Can't see the 3D effect.

LudwigB

My copy of ALBWs and Mario has dispatched from Amazon and should arrive tomorrow. I cant wait! Ive taken a week off work to play these gems. Happy days.

Linkhero1

I just did the infinite life trick. That's pretty neat. I wonder how people find this stuff. Most likely by accident but still neat.

A Tokyo EAD game rushed.
Really.

Mario Kart 7 on 3DS. Its only point are online races. Solo VS mode, Time Trial mode, Battle mode, Mission/competition modes, everything else got butchered so that the game could release on the 3DS' first christmas after Nintendo realized the handheld started badly.

Robin64

There's no penalty for having the white Mario block appear this time is there? I don't want to be punished for exploring (and thus dying).

entremet

Mario Kart 7 on 3DS. Its only point are online races. Solo VS mode, Time Trial mode, Battle mode, Mission/competition modes, everything else got butchered so that the game could release on the 3DS' first christmas after Nintendo realized the handheld started badly.

Not EAD Tokyo.

Robin64

Can someone take a picture of the game disc itself? I've not seen the disc art yet and I'd like to see it without risking a google search full of spoilers.

super_mario_3d_world_disc.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's no penalty for having the white Mario block appear this time is there? I don't want to be punished for exploring (and thus dying).
You don't seem to be penalized just for it appearing. It happened a couple times for me and I still have shiny stars.

Supposedly, even if you use it, you can reverse the mark of shame by replaying the levels you used it on and clearing them normally.

Going to try and test that later.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game...

This game is glorious. Such a shame the music isn't near Galaxy levels but the fun is absolutely there. Having a blast in co op with 4 friends. A fucking riot! Just arrived at level 6

kiryogi

Banned
I don't think I've enjoyed or extensively spent this time with a platformer wanting to 100% it since Donkey Kong Country 2. . . The 3D world/land formula really is the perfect direction for 3D Mario. Mario 64 to Galaxy's gigantic worlds often overstayed it's welcome. But don't get me wrong, I'd love a Galaxy 3, but I just haven't enjoyed this kind of sensation since Christmas 1995. . .

Robin64

Am I missing something so horrible obvious and stupid for the stamp in 1-1? Just can't see it. I have everything else in the whole world, just not that.

Aeana

Am I missing something so horrible obvious and stupid for the stamp in 1-1? Just can't see it. I have everything else in the whole world, just not that.
There's a pipe after the checkpoint, in the wall in the back. It's easy to destroy with the mega Mario so you may have done that.

KHlover

Banned

Wasn't it in the pipe on the wall of the plateau where you get the Giant mushroom? Not sure if you got a Green Star or the stamp there :/
EDIT: Seems to be the stamp.

On a similar note - I spent almost an hour trying to find the third star in 1-1. How did it take me so long to stomp the bricks at the end of the bridge with Giant Mario?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wasn't it in the pipe on the wall of the plateau where you get the Giant mushroom? Not sure if you got a Green Star or the stamp there :/
EDIT: Seems to be the stamp.

On a similar note - I spent almost an hour trying to find the third star in 1-1. How did it take me so long to stomp the bricks at the end of the bridge with Giant Mario?
You could also jump down from the barrier on the right :)

Robin64

There's a pipe after the checkpoint, in the wall in the back. It's easy to destroy with the mega Mario so you may have done that.

Wow, thanks. I feel stupid. I could've sworn I'd been in that pipe before, so every time I went into the level to look for the stamp, I ignored that pipe.

World 1 at 100%, on to world 2! :D

So I finished the main game. Question about the post credits stuff,
it says there are fast mii's to beat, where are they? Is that it, we just get star road and time trials?

Berordn

So I finished the main game. Question about the post credits stuff,
it says there are fast mii's to beat, where are they? Is that it, we just get star road and time trials?

A fast Mii is just a Mii that heads to the goal quickly. Unlike other ghost Miis they'll appear in the level the same time you do and move without waiting for you to progress.

Theorymon

Welp, I dun goofed, and accidentally saved getting a coin. Gonna have to start that coinless run through all over again. Oh well, at least I only got to world 3! Going through the game without coins and adding a no death run to it is a nice challenge for sure. Can't wait till I get to the later worlds, some of those levels were tough enough on a regular run through =)

AniHawk

So my Anihawk ranking scale legit or what

yeah, i'd say it's pretty accurate.

I know that feeling man. I might replay Galaxy 2 again pretty soon (I already replayed it earlier this year cuz I replay all the mainline Marios every year, except for Super Mario Bros Special of course). Galaxy 2 was my favorite game before, but damn the pacing is just KILLER in this game. I don't know what to think anymore...

Me too. I think I've boiled it down to the music and space.

well i prefer the music in 3d world, honestly. felt more like mario to me. i think what it came down to was the type of platforming i was doing. galaxy 2 had really clever gravity platforming obstacles which had you thinking in a different way than 3d world.

3d world is the best realization of 2d mario in 3d space. it's such a much stronger attempt than 3d land, which gave you an easy game and then a more difficult game one right after the other. i appreciate having difficulty ramp up like it did in this game.

if there's one thing i felt was missing that the new super mario games got right, it's that the overworld could be more interesting. this game is already heads and shoulders above 3d land's inexcusable linear level selector, but that extra mile nsmbu and nsmb2 go with extra worlds to skip ahead and create mazes out of the world map was a lot of fun. that's not so much a negative as it is just a thing i'd like to see.

Mogwai

Dang. Will be picking the game up tomorrow but I don't have much time to play it.

The feeling of owning the game will have to suffice for a while :S

Theorymon

yeah, i'd say it's pretty accurate.

well i prefer the music in 3d world, honestly. felt more like mario to me. i think what it came down to was the type of platforming i was doing. galaxy 2 had really clever gravity platforming obstacles which had you thinking in a different way than 3d world.

3d world is the best realization of 2d mario in 3d space. it's such a much stronger attempt than 3d land, which gave you an easy game and then a more difficult game one right after the other. i appreciate having difficulty ramp up like it did in this game.

if there's one thing i felt was missing that the new super mario games got right, it's that the overworld could be more interesting. this game is already heads and shoulders above 3d land's inexcusable linear level selector, but that extra mile nsmbu and nsmb2 go with extra worlds to skip ahead and create mazes out of the world map was a lot of fun. that's not so much a negative as it is just a thing i'd like to see.

I've never really cared about world maps in Mario to be honest. I think they're a nice bonus when done right in games like Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros U, but otherwise, I don't really think much of them, so I didn't really care about 3D Land's level selector stuff (3D Land disappointed me in other ways, but that's for a different post, can't really articulate my problems with 3D Land at the moment).

The major thing I feel is missing from the game is Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode is pretty much THE reason New Super Mario Bros U is my favorite 2D Mario. Super Mario 3D World has a reasonable difficulty curve (unlike 3D Land), but man I'd love some of the crazy hardcore stuff a Challenge mode could throw at me, since New Super Mario Bros U showed that Nintendo is very willing to break your balls in secondary modes. It took me longer to get Gold on all the challenges than it took to actually beat most Mario games for me!

Sendou

So just a quick question: if I plug in headphones to GamePad while playing on big screen do I get the full sound like that? So it's not like with Wind Waker HD?

gogoud

The trick is in the very first super Mario bros so of course Nintendo kept it consistent.
Say bye bye to half of those later on in the game. There are so many little puzzles it's fantastic. I lost so many lives on a certain level trying to collect all the stars and get the warp box to appear. Ugh. But earlier in the game you find out if you do a certain task a flag pole/warp box to appear. Took a whole while for that to click back in lol.

Also beat the game but now am collecting all the stars and the stamps. So much potential for dlc it's not even funny.

A new world has appeared. So brilliant. There are a little issues in the game if you get the invincible suit... Death animations aren't as proper... But then again the invincibility suit ruins the fun.

Azure J

This game is so fucking good it makes me want to make games as good as itself. Holy fuck man. I have such an infinite fondness for the Galaxy games, 64 before it, and Super Mario Bros. 3 before that, but this game is seriously and unequivocally the best damn game in the franchise.

F-r-e-e, free.

You can hit the block, you just don't to touch the leaf.

Although hitting the block makes that much harder lol.
gameXplain said it doesnt matter if you get the block or even collect the leaf, as long as you complete the level normally as well, the shiny stars on your savefile are safe.

Top Bottom