• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Linkhero1

The trick is in the very first super Mario bros so of course Nintendo kept it consistent.

I understand that the trick isn't new but finding the right place to do it is what amazes me. I tend to just think about completing the level that I never think of ways to get 1ups. I think I was always in the 40s range throughout the entire game until post game.

Gartooth

Has any Gaffer ever used the Super Guide in a game? I never have, and I don't know anyone who has either so it would be really interesting to know if Nintendo has any statistics about it.

ffdgh

Has any Gaffer ever used the Super Guide in a game? I never have, and I don't know anyone who has either so it would be really interesting to know if Nintendo has any statistics about it.

Nope...atlease not on purpose in super mario bros wii since it was the only way to play as luigi in single player.

Berordn

It's a little strange how in this game despite the world's having clear themes the levels don't really adhere to them

I'm thankful, NSMB's world tropes had worn thin by the second game. Not seeing the same backdrop in more than two levels is a refreshing change of pace.

Formless

Anyone got the menacing pre-miniboss theme? It doesnt play after you've beat the world. It's the one with some electric guitar and horns.

The Boat

My friends used the super guide when we were playing the other day, but we didn't finish the level that time. The stars on the save are still shining.

klier

I've been playing my EU version a couple of hours now. Did some two player as well.

Fantastic and brilliant. Probably worth buying a Wii U for if you like good games :D

I've done it a couple of times in DKCR (rocket barrel stages) and a couple of times in 3D World where I was either not enjoying myself or was too eager to move on to the next stage.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I finished the first two worlds and I'm kinda underwhelmed so far to be honest. It's fun I guess, but I dunno. I'm not really feeling it. Feels very....standard. Honestly this far in I was having more fun with Sonic Lost World. Of course the quality in that game went on to fall off a cliff, and I'd imagine this game is only going to get better. 3D Land took a good while to get interesting too so I'm hoping it's the same here.

Davey Cakes

Honestly this far in I was having more fun with Sonic Lost World. Of course the quality in that game went on to fall off a cliff, and I'd imagine this game is only going to get better. 3D Land took a good while to get interesting too so I'm hoping it's the same here.
You answered yourself. It does exactly as you say.

This has been the case with every post-Sunshine Mario game, honestly.

World 3 you'll start to see improvements and by World 4 you'll definitely be "feeling it."

Of course, in my opinion you really need to be going for 100% from the outset. So hopefully you're actively seeking out those green stars and stamps from the get-go.

Then again, YMMV.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
%5Cimages%5Cpages_content_archive_NEW%5C2012%5Cjayer_hk015-340.jpg

Meow

AGoodODST

Really liked this throw back to SMB3.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01une4t.jpg

Also, is anyone else slightly creeped out by the Miis in ghost mode? The way they crawl around everywhere looks so odd.

Busaiku

Finally beat Champion's Road!
Including resets, I was probably down 200 lives or so.
It was harder than Special 8 Crown, but substantially easier than The Perfect Run.

Still got the Mystery House Marathon left, and that's definitely a challenge.

Busaiku

I'm probably not gonna go through with every character though.
Still haven't even popped in The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds...

Blizzard

Banned
I want more slot machine chances! Is there any way to play them again after the game ends? :( I'm already in world 6 and have never gotten 3 symbols in a row.

I might be able to barely see the cherry go past but I don't know how to time it. If I
hit A right after the jingle ends, 16 notes apart
, I get the first two cherries every time, but using the same timing gets
two different symbols for the right two blocks, even if I wait for the same part of the music to come around again.

I would almost be fine figuring it out myself, but considering I apparently only get one chance per world, I am sad about it!

AGoodODST

I want more slot machine chances! Is there any way to play them again after the game ends? :( I'm already in world 6 and have never gotten 3 symbols in a row.

I might be able to barely see the cherry go past but I don't know how to time it. If I
hit A right after the jingle ends, 16 notes apart
, I get the first two cherries every time, but using the same timing gets
two different symbols for the right two blocks, even if I wait for the same part of the music to come around again.

I would almost be fine figuring it out myself, but considering I apparently only get one chance per world, I am sad about it!

I think if you go back and play a couple of levels in a world you have already beaten the slot machine appears again.

I manage to get cherries pretty easily, something like hitting a block on every third beat of the music (I think it's the third, only played a few of them so far) will get you a cherry.

Azure J

Easily the funniest family on the holidays and video game moment of my 2013 thus far:

Get to the "Super Galaxy" level in World Star and after admiring how much "actual fuck" EAD Tokyo could throw at 3 out of 4 of my siblings and myself, we complete the level and "holy shit, Rosalina's just watching us guys, what's happening?!!!" After hitting the flagpole and ending the level, we get the usual prompts then suddenly the bonus "You can now play as Rosalina" message pops up.

A fraction of a second later, my two sisters and I pull out batteries out of our Wiimotes in a moment of weird inspiration trying to reset our characters on the map screen to play her. My brother who's currently player one though? He just waits for everyone to de-sync then hops into a level, selects Rosalina with no one around to claim her and starts the next level.

We all fucked up. Also, putting Rosalina in this game was a wonderful decision for this moment alone. :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Next-gen just started in Europa ; )

rnaud

Hmm, I discovered a new move. After a stomp attack, press A immediately and Mario fuse into the air.

I didn't know I could do that. Any specific use for it? I feel like some moves in this game are not really a necessity, they are not many moments when they are required from the player.

zroid

Banned
Hmm, I discovered a new move. After a stomp attack, press A immediately and Mario fuse into the air.

I didn't know I could do that. Any specific use for it? I feel like some moves in this game are not really a necessity, they are not many moments when they are required from the player.

It's not a bad way to get some air quickly, but generally this move can bail you out if you try to butt stomp an enemy and miss.

japtor

Found out a new trick for
Hisstocrats and the boss rush stage. I was using Luigi and Tanooki suit, went right next to them and spin jumped. It's enough to hit one and bounce over and hit the other. Makes it go by really fast.

Done with my Luigi only run now, only got the gamepad levels and final two stages left with him. Gonna run through with Peach next I guess.
The stamp in 6-3 is grade A bullshit. I found every other collectible in the game on my own except that one where I had to go online and find its location just to preserve my sanity.
I've never had to go online for anything...any hints I need usually show up in the post level Miiverse posts.
I think you do because the audio is the exact same
Not exactly, it seems to be missing the character select voice for whatever reason. I forget if the voices are missing in normal gameplay though.
There aren't any stamps in world mushroom?
Correct iirc. There's two stamps in the final world though.
Has anyone else gotten their own Mii as a ghost in a level? Was very surreal watching it do what I had done my first time through the level.
Yeah I've gotten mine with a time on it, I guess I'm the fastest ghost it picked at the time out of my friends or something.

I finished the first two worlds and I'm kinda underwhelmed so far to be honest. It's fun I guess, but I dunno. I'm not really feeling it. Feels very....standard. Honestly this far in I was having more fun with Sonic Lost World. Of course the quality in that game went on to fall off a cliff, and I'd imagine this game is only going to get better. 3D Land took a good while to get interesting too so I'm hoping it's the same here.

The game does get substantially better. After World 3 I was being blown away on a regular basis. I'm just surprised to see anyone can like any part of Sonic Lost World over this game. What a tremendous letdown that game was.

Has anyone attempted 5-6 with 4 players? For reference that's cake walk flip the level where jumping causes the blue/red platforms to switch. The only LP I've seen attempt it with 4 people just had 3 bubble and did it solo. I played the level with a buddy and it was incredibly difficult with two people.

roknin

cat suit definitely has some risk/reward to it... i've dived to my doom many-a-time. :(

Oh definitely lol, same here. Especially agonizing when you end up watching your character dive just barely beyond 3-4 platforms and right to their death. I've facepalm'd a lot due to that. XD

World Star and 4

Best. EVER. I swear I was crying laughing for at least the first four tries.

Top Bottom