• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

thomaser

Got my European game today! Played through the first world, which was very nice. Very similar to Super Mario 3D Land, with a couple of new, fun twists here and there. Fun, but not really spectacular. Then I started playing on the second world... and magic happened.

NickMitch

Ive reached world 5 and god damn this is one wonderful game! Those mystery box gauntlets and captain toad stages are magic, true magic. Im so glad that the world themes does not set the tone and theme for every stage. Cant wait to try this with some friends

The trick is in the very first super Mario bros so of course Nintendo kept it consistent.

I really don't think it is.

Mario_Bros._Gameplay.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, I discovered a new move. After a stomp attack, press A immediately and Mario fuse into the air.

I didn't know I could do that. Any specific use for it? I feel like some moves in this game are not really a necessity, they are not many moments when they are required from the player.
Is that move the same one that's triggered by a normal crouch jump? I thought they were the same thing but maybe it's slightly different. I think a charged crouch jump is higher of course, nearly as high as a spin jump.

Busaiku

Woo, Mystery House Marathon complete, final Mario stamp unlocked!
Dang, that Mystery House Marathon was a lot tougher than I thought.

In 3D Super Mario fashion, I managed to complete it with Mario in a week!
Overall playtime is about 25.5 hours, roughly 1/2 of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2, slightly more than Super Mario 3D Land.

Forget the name but the one where the Flagpole pretty much says "#NOPE" and takes off like it drunk a can of red bull. XD

Man, that was a great stage.
I knew something was up when the flagpole was just sitting there at the beginning, mothafucka shot off like he was in a starting gate. "Nah, you aint touching my flag, son Im out"

Lima

And downloaded. Hey only 1.7GB on the eShop. That is nice. And only 59,99€ too. Crazy that out of the big three Nintendo is the one that gets digital pricing right.

The Boat

In 3D Super Mario fashion, I managed to complete it with Mario in a week!
Overall playtime is about 25.5 hours, roughly 1/2 of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2, slightly more than Super Mario 3D Land.

I don't remember the Galaxy games being that long.

Davey Cakes

I don't remember the Galaxy games being that long.
Those games were both in the 20-hour range for me, if I remember correctly.

With 3D World I have no gauge at how long 100% will take. Probably not that long but I avoided spoilers and have no idea of the extent of the post-game content.

zigg

Cleared World Bowser tonight. This post-game content ain't messin' around. I have too much of a headache to deal with it right now 😄

The Boat

Those games were both in the 20-hour range for me, if I remember correctly.

With 3D World I have no gauge at how long 100% will take. Probably not that long but I avoided spoilers and have no idea of the extent of the post-game content.

Well, I'm almost at 100%, (didn't finishing each level with every character though) and I'm at about
33 hours
. Multiplayer can add a lot to that too.

Busaiku

The Perfect Run and Luigi's Purple Coins took me forever.
Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World don't have anything that come remotely close to those.

I beat the rest of the game in pretty much 2-3 days, but those 2 levels took me like 4-5 days.

Boogiepop

Got to the true final area
Crown
. Think I'm going to take a break, since I did all my clean-up on the game today. (Had about %70 of the stuff I needed, but had to go back for a good number of flag poles/green stars/stamps.) I did
the Captain Toad level and the Mystery House, but the final stage proved too intimidating to do today
. Am I looking at things correct in that you seemingly have to
beat the Mystery House and the final stage with all 5 characters for 100%? That's probably where those last few stamps are hiding, haha. Is multiplayer a good way to get it done, or does it just make things messier?

Only had 2 sittings with the game, I am currently in world 3 getting everything.

I am liking this game more than SMG but very close.

I am also playing the special worlds in SM3DL, that game is awesome but SM3DW poops all over it.

roknin

Man, now that I'm going back to get more green stars... I'm not even sure how its possible to do some of these stages with 3 or more players and leave with a positive number of lives lol. I have a feeling this is going to be extremely entertaining over the holiday if I can get family to play along.

Like how the hell would you even do the chainlink stage? Or Cakewalk Flip for that matter? The death toll would be immense...

I have to get some 3P/4P MP time in on this game soon. It just looks like it's going to be far more chaotic than even the NSMB series' MP.

Man, that was a great stage.
I knew something was up when the flagpole was just sitting there at the beginning, mothafucka shot off like he was in a starting gate. "Nah, you aint touching my flag, son Im out"

IKR?
As soon as you enter the stage, it just screams "it can't be that easy." I half expected the ground to fall away or one of the platforms to lead me to another level or... something.

When that didn't happen I made the long jump with Mario and the laughter began, I literally just watched as it flew off. XD

Davey Cakes

Luigi's Purple Coins is one of those "challenges" that makes me realize that maybe I'm just too good at Mario games. It took me a few tries but yeah, realizing you didn't have to collect every coin made it much, much easier. Now, collecting every coin would be hardcore!

The Perfect Run in Galaxy 2 is a legitimate challenge, IMO. I completed it but felt like I really used my Mario-playing chops to do so. At the time people were comparing it to oldschool ROM-hacks and I agree, it really felt that way.

Boogiepop

Oh... oh my. Just read how you get the last few stamps. Wow. Looks like I may be playing multiplayer on my main file after all, haha.

Man, now that I'm going back to get more green stars... I'm not even sure how its possible to do some of these stages with 3 or more players and leave with a positive number of lives lol. I have a feeling this is going to be extremely entertaining over the holiday if I can get family to play along.

4 players, the stages with platforms that flip every time you jump, no bubbles allowed
massacre right there

Just finished the main game, simply fantastic experience. This will certainly be a main stay when my buddies come over for 4 player insanity. Final boss fight was pretty clever, looking forward to the bonus stages.

This game is so wonderful, I really hope it winds up being the unsung savior of the Wii U like Nintendo and its fans want it to be. I know that after playing through multiplayer with my friends this Thanksgiving break, I am heavily considering buying a Wii U this upcoming summer just so I can playthrough it on my own terms as well as pick up Donkey Kong and other titles.

I don't really have any plans to buy a WiiU but I really hope this game does well in the end. We need Nintendo. And I would definitely purchase a 1080p system from them at launch.

So
Rosalina
isn't as broken as I thought they'd be, I was under the assumption
the spin attack worked like a double jump
which it does, but it's executed by using the attack button, so you can't use it in conjunction with another power up.

Gartooth

I finished the last Captain Toad level. ;__; Best mini game ever, we need to rally on Miiverse for DLC.

Mystery Houses can burn in hell, stupid last one has me pissed.

Deku Tree

The post game content is anything but easy. Anyone who says this game is too easy didn't even come anywhere near the post game worlds.

I hit my first stumbling block of the game today.
World Star-9. I just couldn't get up the wall where you had to use the cannonballs without losing my cannon head power-up. Still have to go back to get the first 2 green stars.

Question about unlocking something:

Do I need to beat the enemy blockades and mystery houses with each character to unlock the hidden stamps or just the stages with flagpoles at the end?

Top Bottom