• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Zelda, Metroid + other for E3 then I am spent and Wii U was worth it.

I was just wondering if we can agree that this Mario shows off a lot of new ideas, but also tons of moments/concepts/environments/musics/gameplay mechanics seen in various previous installments
not as a "lazy port", but as a summa of the 3D Mario brand, as it seems to me
As Land was a summa of various arcade-ish Nintendo gameplay and IPs or Kart 8 seems a summa of all previous Kart games

Dougald

Playing game tonight and this is what I'm worried about. Hell my other half was furious as I dared to pick up a power up in Pikmin on Nintendoland as "Its my favourite"

And she wonders why I don't let her play Pikmin 3!

Wish I could be
Rosalina
but I'll happily be Mario

Bloomin wife won't let me play as peach, then mocks me for dying when the only reason she made the jump is because she can hover everywhere

Great game though, my wife loves games but has issues with twin-stick controls that make many co-op games fustrating at best. Half the reason I bought a Wii U is so we could play this and NSMBU together.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My girlfriend picked Luigi and she keeps jumping all the time. And I wanted Luigi, but I had to pick Mario instead as Toad speed would be of no use when we play together.

Ansatz

3D World Get!

The first thing I noticed is the change in Mario's voice, I like it. My new favorite level: Mount Beanpole (1-3), an instant classic.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
100% with all characters through world 7.

And I just figured out on the world 7 boss you can
use the boomerang to do damage, 3x boomerang hits = one bomb.
It's a bit faster since that boss tends to be slow to leave openings for "normal" attacks, and those can miss if you're not positioned right.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on requirements for 5stars?

I'm gonna have to play every level with all four characters wont I?

LoveCake

My copy arrived saturday, it's great :D

what do people think is the best character to play with ?

I think Princess Peach is the best because she can float about for longer when jumping etc.

My copy arrived saturday, it's great :D

what do people think is the best character to play with ?

I think Princess Peach is the best because she can float about for longer when jumping etc.

Peach is definitely the easiest to play as, but I really love playing as Mario the best. Rosalina is super fun as well.

Dr.Hadji

You can appreciate it, I guess, but It just means the levels are simplified because they can account for players not having crazy agility. The real spin jump and side flip moves in their non-nerfed forms don't have to be "cure-alls" if the levels are designed properly. As it is in 3D World, there's next to no free form platforming and ninja skills. I'd say they went too far in the 2D direction with this series. I get that some people love that, but it's my one major gripe with the game.

Xtralarge already covered most of this but I'll say my peace anyway.

1. When it comes to platforming the 3d Land/World levels are no more simple than Mario64/Sunshine levels
2. IDK, what kind of different level design you think is in Mario64/Sunshine that makes you think these periphery moves dictate the fundamental level structure.
3. As mentioned by Xtralarge before, 3D World has its fair share of "ninja" free form platforming. It just comes by different means.

NotLiquid

Spoiler pertaining to unlockable character:
there's no way to use Rosalina's spin-jump once she's gotten a power-up is there?

On this note, I'd like to just mention that wall jumping in this game is criminally underutilised.

This is probably the most surprising thing about 3D World level design to me.

Wall jumping to scale an tight vertical space is so ingrained into my 3D Mario play style that I tried it on tons of areas only to be disappointed that I don't have enough kick to make it to the other side while gaining height.

It got to the point that I assumed it was an abandoned concept and didn't consider it when an actual wall jump obstacle presented itself.

Davey Cakes

nintendo is never going to top galaxy 2's soundtrack and that makes me a bit sad
I'm only in World 7 but I'd say the 3D World soundtrack is definitely up there in terms of bringing pure joy to my ears.

Galaxy 1 and 2 had phenomenal soundtracks but this game's OST is wonderful in its own right.

I'm not nearly as hard on the NSMB series music as other people are but 3D World's soundtrack absolutely destroys NSMBU's to the point where it's not even a contest.

Some of my Miiverse pics. I want to see yours!

8cvr.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6qx2K8yA

06ry.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW3i8aHqA

nimv.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW3i_AdkA

1t6g.png

(This particular level gave me an Indiana Jones/Uncharted vibe)
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEbCP1fMw

p9t2.png

And this is a spoiler for the secret character

EhoaVash

On this note, I'd like to just mention that wall jumping in this game is criminally underutilised.

this . I agree so much I tried to wall jump so many times but the game doesn't really want you to >.>..same with triple jumping, when I first played the game, triple jumping was the first thing I tried to do, damn it EAD this game could of benefited a lot from more of acrobatic Mario.

spliced

Still haven't beaten the last 2 levels but I've cleared the rest with all the characters. It was neat seeing how all the levels play with each character. I actually ended up liking Luigi more than I expected and Toad less. I like Toad's speed but I just can't handle the short jumps.

The more I played the game the more I like the cat suit, I love how it enables you to make it over big gaps using divebomb and wall climb. I was surprised to see even without beating the last 2 levels I still got 5 shiny stars on my file.

KingGondo

Banned
Four-starred it this weekend. Wonderful game.

Gonna give it a break and play through with each of the characters to five-star over the next few months.

Galaxy 2's soundtrack was a huge disappointment 2 me. Far less memorable than Galaxy's.

A Huge disappointment? those be some mighty high standards.

For my money SMG2's soundtrack is the king of Mario soundtracks but there we go.
3D World's music is good, one of the stronger soundtracks across the platforming side of the series yet I have high standards of my own and the Galaxy duo elevated Mario soundtracks to a whole different level that 3D world can't quite reach, guess I just like my grandiose Galaxy style more than the big band of this game.

EhoaVash

galaxy 1 has better music than 2. anyway I do like 3D world's soundtrack..that it's quite catchy and memorable but I just wish there was more music pieces. 3D world's soundtrack is too small. It also doesn't have enough tracks or remixes as galaxy which is disappointing.

mf luder

I don't know if this is common knowledge but if you do a spin jump and the continue spinning the analog stick and pressing jump while in the air you'll do another when you land.

Porcile

Just done
a few of the Bowser stages
and the game went from excellent tier to straight up god tier. So good.

Anbec7

Stupid question but....

We were playing this awesome game yesterday in a friends house but... how the heck do you use the stamps for a post? ):

A Huge disappointment? those be some mighty high standards.
I'm not one for exaggeration – I say what I mean. Galaxy 2's soundtrack was...well, the problem with it is one of the larger problems I had with Galaxy 2: unlike its predecessor, Galaxy 2 didn't revel in its setting. Galaxy seemed to enjoy, and had no qualms with showing, being in space. Its atmosphere, pacing, and music all seem to say, "It's Mario in space! WOOHOO!"

Galaxy 2 essentially ignored its setting, I felt. I can think of levels in Galaxy and recall the music that went with them...can't say the same for Galaxy 2.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I was messing about on a level, World 8-5 to be precise, thinking wouldn't it be funny if I could get up on a high ledge with the cat suit. This is
just by the second green star
. And what do I find? Another hidden Luigi!

Damn. If some of them are that hidden then they really could be on every level…

zoukka

A good game. Though the similarities to 3D land are heavy enough for them to have called it just 3D Land 2. The gimmick levels are pointless too. Nintendo has no idea what to do with the gamepad.

Cat suit is godmode like tanooki was in 3D land, but required for some stars so i can't just avoid using it...

Almost through world six. Looove this game. Only complaint is the timer. I think once you beat the game, you should be able to have an option to turn timer off when getting the rest of the stars.

I'm not one for exaggeration – I say what I mean. Galaxy 2's soundtrack was...well, the problem with it is one of the larger problems I had with Galaxy 2: unlike its predecessor, Galaxy 2 didn't revel in its setting. Galaxy seemed to enjoy, and had no qualms with showing, being in space. Its atmosphere, pacing, and music all seem to say, "It's Mario in space! WOOHOO!"

Galaxy 2 essentially ignored its setting, I felt. I can think of levels in Galaxy and recall the music that went with them...can't say the same for Galaxy 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6d4lxw9FYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTht2pC-9AA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmzavp3-Mxw

I can instantly recall the levels associated with these tracks just listening to them, don't know how you can say they aren't memorable.

andymcc

Banned
I'm having a lot more fun with this game than both of the Galaxy games. I'm on World Flower and I'm going back to collect stars/stamps I've missed.

Top Bottom