• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

PusherT

alittle upset EAD Toyko did not include Mario triple jump from SMS. where you do 3 regular jumps and on the 3rd jump in a row you get a super jump. Super Mario Sunshine had the the best plat forming and jump mechanics of any 3d Mario

andymcc

Banned
alittle upset EAD Toyko did not include Mario triple jump from SMS. where you do 3 regular jumps and on the 3rd jump in a row you get a super jump. Super Mario Sunshine had the the best plat forming and jump mechanics of any 3d Mario

it also had a dreadful framerate, awful levels and the worst camera in the 3d mario games' history.

Fabrik

Banned
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the game :(
I loved 3D Land, it was perfectly suited to portable gaming and the 3D was awe-inspiring.
Here, it feels like a 3D isometric Mario mixed with NSMBU. The levels are not THAT crazy and as a single player game, it completely miss the sense of adventure of past Mario games. It's a bunch of levels packed together with no cohesiveness. Super Mario 3D World is missing the World part of its title. Small bites were OK in 3D Land not as much here. The game often feels like 3D Land 2, a lot of concepts and enemies are returning, it's not as new anymore. I wasn't challenged until the 7th World, the Galaxy games weren't the most challenging either but at least they had the sense of adventure and discovery of new galaxies to compensate, here it's not as exciting to unlock a new level. Still I'd give it a 8/10 lol but I'm comparing it to SMG 1 & 2. I haven't touched multiplayer yet, so if it works, my opinion might change since I'd consider it a new kind of 3D Mario but the next 3D Mario needs a more coherent and developed world.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OK so I take back what I said about Luigi not being in 1-1. He is! It's weird, he only appears at a certain angle. Here he is:

iiPic7I2HThwI.jpg

Halcyon

I played this over the weekend with a few other people. I sort of enjoyed it. I had to play with a wii-mote though so it felt really frustrating to control. Also I had no idea what was going on most of the time but I was somehow managing to get the high score more often than not.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
World 1-2 was pretty easy to find actually. Just rotate the camera when you start the level to see him. You'll have to see him for yourself to witness his true glory.

Pretty sure it's a reference to an odd bit of Japanese Mario humour.

So I just beat the final final level, and all I can say is Peach + Tanooki Suit + Back-up Cat suit makes that level so much more bearable.

All-in-all a good game, but I still enjoy and think the Galaxy games are better.

daakusedo

We have seen footage of 6-1 since e3 so it fared better than expected.
In fact it's a pretty technical level with all the clear pipe running on top.
An alternate way of doing it obviously but that's what I like so much.

Jerrod

This is just a general observation, and I'm not directing this statement towards anybody in this thread, but I hate the stamps and I really think they vastly reduced the quality of Miiverse posts. Miiverse posts are pretty trivial, but some of them are contain really great drawings or really witty musings, but because of these stamps 99% of the posts in SM3DW are just dumb. I think normally most of these people would never post anything but because they can use stamps to easily create a picture they flood Miiverse with this crap.

TrueBlue

This is just a general observation, and I'm not directing this statement towards anybody in this thread, but I hate the stamps and I really think they vastly reduced the quality of Miiverse posts. Miiverse posts are pretty trivial, but some of them are contain really great drawings or really witty musings, but because of these stamps 99% of the posts in SM3DW are just dumb. I think normally most of these people would never post anything but because they can use stamps to easily create a picture they flood Miiverse with this crap.

....so? Surely it's okay to let people who can't draw as well have the opportunity to put up Miiverse posts. It doesn't stop those who can draw really well from doing them.

maxcriden

Question for you 3DW-GAF:

So we've been playing through the game as Luigi and plan to replay the game with each character. At that point we plan to have pretty much all stars and stamps.

Spoilers within:

For the four remaining characters of Mario, Peach, Toad and Rosalina, I'd like to do one different run with each character: no coins, stealth (cannot hit enemies or get hit by enemies, except to hit bosses), and no power-ups, as well as a fourth run with all three conditions.

Given the above, which character would be most challenging to play each of these conditions with? I want to make it as difficult for us as possible.

Question for you 3DW-GAF:

So we've been playing through the game as Luigi and plan to replay the game with each character. At that point we plan to have pretty much all stars and stamps.

Spoilers within:

For the four remaining characters of Mario, Peach, Toad and Rosalina, I'd like to do one different run with each character: no coins, stealth (cannot hit enemies or get hit by enemies, except to hit bosses), and no power-ups, as well as a fourth run with all three conditions.

Given the above, which character would be most challenging to play each of these conditions with? I want to make it as difficult for us as possible.

Peach

are you going to stream this run?

Rosalina is a beast without power ups but her slow speed could be challenging as well though not sure if this is a weakness enough

maxcriden

Peach

are you going to stream this run?

Rosalina is a beast without power ups but her slow speed could be challenging as well though not sure if this is a weakness enough

I may not have been specific enough:

I mean, for each remaining character, who should I use for each of the four conditions:

no coins
no touching enemies
no power-ups
none of the above

As long as my wife is cool with it, I'd be happy to stream the run. How do you stream from Wii U? /noob question

So when I 100% a level, it is because:

- 3 stars (indicated by star on top of pole in the map)
- top of flagpole (indicated by gold flag)
- stamp

correct?

So when I 100% a level, it is because:

- 3 stars (indicated by star on top of pole in the map)
- top of flagpole (indicated by gold flag)
- stamp

correct?

I think you have to complete the level with all characters, but you don't have to get all the stars/stamp with all characters.

greg400

Banned
:( I've got a MacBook Air. So no streaming for me I guess.
There's tons of streaming equipment you can use on Mac and multiple routes you can take.

Generally each involve the application CamTwist (free streaming software)
http://camtwiststudio.com

If you want to stream direct gameplay you need a capture device like the Hauppauge HD PVR. Or you can just point the MBA webcam at the TV but the quality will probably be atrocious.

Andrew.

Banned
Aww, you get a little paw icon when you've truly 100%ed a world.

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01drfdi.jpg (it's a link because it contains a spoiler about the fifth character, UH OH)

And who said going through with all characters was grinding? It's too find to be grinding!

You cant get the credit for beating levels with other characters until youve unlocked
Rosalina
and played through every normal and special world as one single character though right?

Id love to get the credit for knocking out Worlds 1-8 with everyone else before I full on tackle Star, Shroom and Flower.

Robin64

You cant get the credit for beating levels with other characters until youve unlocked
Rosalina
and played through every normal and special world as one single character though right?

Id love to get the credit for knocking out Worlds 1-8 with everyone else before I full on tackle Star, Shroom and Flower.

You get the credit, it just doesn't display until a certain point in post-game stuff.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok what do you actually unlock for collecting everything? Is it just one final level like 3D Land? Is it worth it? I just beat flower world and I'm not sure if I want to bother.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's tons of streaming equipment you can use on Mac and multiple routes you can take.

If you want to stream direct gameplay you need a capture device like the Hauppauge HD PVR. Or you can just point the MBA webcam at the TV but the quality will probably be atrocious.
Hauppauge is garbage (audio desync issues are way too common), but to be fair, I don't really know what kind of options are available on a Mac.

maxcriden

Interesting, thanks for the info. As you said the MBA is my most expedient and cheapest option but the quality would be pretty poor. I appreciate the info, though!

(And I'd still really like to know which characters you all think we should use for our challenge playthroughs!)

Ragus

Banned
Just beat 1st world and got all green stars. One question - are EAD Tokio gods? How can one studio make such a masterpiece. Every tiny detail about 3DW is AMAZING. Oh, and smoke effects are the best one I have ever seen. Better than BF4 and Arkham Origins on my PC. So good. I just want to touch all that smoke.

This game really is a looker. Add great gameplay and well... we have another superb Mario game.

Oh, and I have a question. I posted this screenshot to miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEbHJDxxg

But I have no idea, how to save it to my pc. Any help?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

jarosh

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I just discovered it today:

The slot machines are in sync with the music. If you hit each block on a BEAT, you get 4 cherries (= 7 lives) every single time.

Oh, and I have a question. I posted this screenshot to miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEbHJDxxg

But I have no idea, how to save it to my pc. Any help?

In Firefox, you can rightclick on the background and select "show page information" (or something like that, I have the german version), then click on media and select like the 12th item in the list, it should be the image. Then you can save it from there.

But the better way if you really want it in high res (720p) is to upload it directly to a hosting website (abload.de eg) via the Wii U browser after you captured it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man the game is so much fun to play and I find myself switching between the characters.

Though I finding it easy to get the stars and stamp but I assume that it will get harder once I unlock the secret worlds.

muteant

I'm rather shocked by the fact that I prefer to play this game with my girlfriend. i honestly figured I'd be too OCD to play the game through with anyone else, especially a novice like her, but including peach and her floatiness was a brilliant move, imo. she's managing to hold her own for the most part (although at times she elects to sit in a bubble when i get to the really challenging platforming sections). thankfully she too refuses to move on until we collect all the green stars, stamps, and top-of-the-flagpoles!

and oh yeah: GOTY, doubtlessly. might be one of the most aesthetically-pleasing games ever, too.

between this, pikmin 3, and wonderful 101, nintendo has released three masterpieces on the wii u in 2013. it's tragic that the console isn't doing better.

Top Bottom