• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

liger05

I'm on World 5 and really this game just gets better and better.

The amount of creativity in these level designs is incredible.

OryoN

Sprawling Savannah <3

It's amazing how much love this level is getting. Although I was always on the 3D World bandwagon, I - and many others - was under the impression that this was clearly the most bland and visually unappealing level that had been revealed so far, looking a bit out-of-place, compared to the other levels. But the impressions of this level suggest it's one the better gems out of the entire spectacular lot.

Should have known better than to expect something less that magical from EAD. Can't wait till I reach that level myself!

Joei

Anyone else here think Mario runs as slow as molasses? I'm enjoying the game somewhat, a few levels into World 5, but the controls pale in comparison to the Galaxy games so much to me. Mario is slow as balls, no spin jump (other than that crappy one they have),and jumping in general for him just seems "off." Sometimes I have trouble just being able to jump and land on enemies, where as in the Galaxy games I don't remember ever having that issue. The controls are really making it harder for me to enjoy the game as much I probably could.

And my god, I can't remember the last time I was actually concerned about the timer in a Mario game and I've ran out of time on levels already or had instances where I was running out of time and had to hurry and finish the level.

Strider

So I've played co-op with my normally non gaming girlfriend all the way up to the 6th world boss and I just started my own solo file and I've 100% world 1. The amount of replay value in this game is amazing. Each level is unique and offers a different experience and is both fun playing solo and co-op (so far). Some of the stuff that happens during co-op play is hilarious.

Unless anything changes this is tied for my GOTY with The Last of Us with these two games crushing everything else. I love my PS4 but this game... THIS GAME.

radcliff

Anyone else here think Mario runs as slow as molasses? I'm enjoying the game somewhat, a few levels into World 5, but the controls pale in comparison to the Galaxy games so much to me. Mario is slow as balls, no spin jump (other than that crappy one they have),and jumping in general for him just seems "off." Sometimes I have trouble just being able to jump and land on enemies, where as in the Galaxy games I don't remember ever having that issue. The controls are really making it harder for me to enjoy the game as much I probably could.

I think they nerfed Mario's speed to highlight Toad's speed advantage.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm disappointed etc..

You know for someone that has the goddamned Mario 3 logo as their avatar, you'd think that YOU out of all people on this forum would be completely enthralled by this (basically a) masterpiece of a title and a complete love letter to much of SMB 3's design.

OmahaG8

And my god, I can't remember the last time I was actually concerned about the timer in a Mario game and I've ran out of time on levels already or had instances where I was running out of time and had to hurry and finish the level.

You sound like you haven't played 3D Land. Which is certainly not a knock. I just mean the controls for the "3D" games are a bit simplified and have their own feel.

Joei

You sound like you haven't played 3D Land. Which is certainly not a knock. I just mean the controls for the "3D" games are a bit simplified and have their own feel.

I haven't. I really don't play many handheld games. I guess I went into this thinking the controls would be like Galaxy and they're not. Galaxy Mario (and basically Luigi once you got used to him) in those two had incredibly tight and precise controls, but Mario still seemed to be able to hop around freely. Mario in this game seems so restricted and confined.

Oh yeah! this game is perfection.
I'm still in
Flower World
though...last level drives me crazy but I love it :D

I was just messing around and finally beat it. Start
with the twin histocrats and make sure to not miss a beat. Once you get them it's all down hill... but seriously you have to speed up.

I am ready to punch kittens over the last mystery box and champions road. I have gotten through 23 of the 30 mystery box and have most of it memorized but still fucking hard. Champions road can suck it.

I was just messing around and finally beat it. Start
with the twin histocrats and make sure to not miss a beat. Once you get them it's all down hill... but seriously you have to speed up.

I am ready to punch kittens over the last mystery box and champions road. I have gotten through 23 of the 30 mystery box and have most of it memorized but still fucking hard. Champions road can suck it.

I managed to beat every boss in my first attempt (without power-up). I got the last coin and....game over ...I had one second left. :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dvOysdN.jpg

There's my standing as I just unlocked the final world. Interested to see how many deaths this racks up.

I just had a REALLY bad lockup after beating the captain toad level. Made an awful noise. :\

one_kill

This game is great. Ever since I popped it in, I can't stop playing it or I can't stop thinking about playing it. I need to do work now, but since I work at home it's so tempting to turn on my Wii U and start playing. It's even worse when I tell myself just "one more level" as it ends up with me beating the whole world.

So I've played co-op with my normally non gaming girlfriend all the way up to the 6th world boss and I just started my own solo file and I've 100% world 1. The amount of replay value in this game is amazing. Each level is unique and offers a different experience and is both fun playing solo and co-op (so far). Some of the stuff that happens during co-op play is hilarious.

Unless anything changes this is tied for my GOTY with The Last of Us with these two games crushing everything else. I love my PS4 but this game... THIS GAME.

I've been playing with my (much) younger siblings, and we're having more fun with this than we did with NSMBWii.

It's stunning what they've done. Especially with the later levels and post-game stuff (
Blast Block Skyway in Flower World with 4 people. Try it. I dare you.

I think this is the perfect game to showcase why the Wii U controller is awesome and can provide a new experience. Better yet, it's almost completely optional.

One could play through 99% of 3D World and never need to use the gamepad if they didn't want to. I would say that's the least fun way to play, but there are many traditional gamers who like what they're used to.

On the other hand, the gamepad can greatly enhance the gameplay. For example, here are a few things I found out you could do with the gamepad:

1. "Ring" the bell trees
2. "Blow" certain enemies away
3. Hold enemies
4. Use the gamepad to move your camera
5. Hold platforms so that they cannot move
6. Ring the gongs
7. Kill the block enemies that reappear
8. Open doors
9. Kick the soccer balls
10. Move the arrow platforms back and forth on the tracks

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but these things really do make the game more fun and immersive. The first time you do a lot of these can be by accident since the game doesn't just flat out state what all you can do.

The biggest game changer for me was the ability to hold platforms. Playing coop with the girlfriend can be frustrating, but being able to actively help her along by manipulating the environment is rewarding for both of us. Also it made some post game worlds actually beatable.

I really wish more people were giving the Wii U a chance since it has the best 2D Mario (yes, NSMBU is awesome), Pikmin, Zelda, and possibly 3D Mario on it, and I'd really hate to see Nintendo go back to making easier, more casual games again. I'd bet the Wii U could end up having the strongest Nintendo library since the SNES.

andymcc

Banned
I think this is the perfect game to showcase why the Wii U controller is awesome and can provide a new experience. Better yet, it's almost completely optional.

One could play through 99% of 3D World and never need to use the gamepad if they didn't want to. I would say that's the least fun way to play, but there are many traditional gamers who like what they're used to.

On the other hand, the gamepad can greatly enhance the gameplay. For example, here are a few things I found out you could do with the gamepad:

1. "Ring" the bell trees
2. "Blow" certain enemies away
3. Hold enemies
4. Use the gamepad to move your camera
5. Hold platforms so that they cannot move
6. Ring the gongs
7. Kill the block enemies that reappear
8. Open doors
9. Kick the soccer balls
10. Move the arrow platforms back and forth on the tracks

you can also knock the sunglasses off the dumb ostrich creatures. they look dumbfounded when you do it. lmao

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If that's the argument you're going to make, I think NSMBU did it better.

Really, Gamepad implementation would be near perfect in this game if it wasn't for those few Gamepad-only stages. Those just scream "we have to justify this device somehow."

If that's the argument you're going to make, I think NSMBU did it better.

Really, Gamepad implementation would be near perfect in this game if it wasn't for those few Gamepad-only stages. Those just scream "we have to justify this device somehow."

The thing I think 3D World does better than NSMBU is variety. I thought it was cool and fun in NSMBU, but pretty limited.

Gsnap

I need to start experimenting with the Gamepad more. I forget that I can do things with it. It's really cool though. To be able to reach into the game world and have it react to you. The idea that the game has so many interactions that I haven't even seen them all makes it kind of mysterious and very fun. Simple, but effective.

That fucking stamp on 6-1.

My thumbs are simply NOT that fucking precise. They're just not.

Well, they are. It's just once I was up in the air I ended up doing A FUCKING ARC AROUND THE GODDAMN STAMP instead of landing on it.

And then I fell off the pipe and I was like "I'll be back for you later, you asshole. You fucking leather cheerio."

zoukka

This game also made me realise how good the 3D effect was in 3D Land. I feel crippled in 3D World for not seeing where I am going to land in stereo...

zroid

Banned
This game also made me realise how good the 3D effect was in 3D Land. I feel crippled in 3D World for not seeing where I am going to land in stereo...

Yeah, it's true. You do get used to it eventually, though. For the first few hours, I couldn't land a jump on a goomba to save my life.

Timeaisis

Just 100%ed world 1 - 8!
Haven't beaten every level with every character yet, though...because that hasn't "unlocked" on my stats page yet
!

This is one of the few games I can see myself going all the way and 100% the whole thing. It's just that entertaining to replay. I'm always finding new things on every level.

Anth0ny

Just beat the final boss (which was AWESOME), and am currently playing through
Star World

The music... the presentation... the art direction...

manlytears7zqq6.gif

Tain

end end end spoiler

So if I'm Rosalina and I'm jumping on the Champion Road piranhas how do I not get eaten by the last piranha? I'm holding A and getting maximum height. I think it's a matter of the angle I approach but I'm not sure. Should I try to delay the movement? Should I try to make it quicker? This is very unclear! I've resorted to using a catsuit to climb the rest of the way after a bounce or two, but replaying stage 1-1 so often is getting silly.

Top Bottom