• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Busaiku

end end end spoiler

So if I'm Rosalina and I'm jumping on the Champion Road piranhas how do I not get eaten by the last piranha? I'm holding A and getting maximum height. I think it's a matter of the angle I approach but I'm not sure. Should I try to delay the movement? Should I try to make it quicker? This is very unclear! I've resorted to using a catsuit to climb the rest of the way after a bounce or two, but replaying stage 1-1 so often is getting silly.

Play Flower-2/3, that stage is more fun.

end end end spoiler

So if I'm Rosalina and I'm jumping on the Champion Road piranhas how do I not get eaten by the last piranha? I'm holding A and getting maximum height. I think it's a matter of the angle I approach but I'm not sure. Should I try to delay the movement? Should I try to make it quicker? This is very unclear! I've resorted to using a catsuit to climb the rest of the way after a bounce or two, but replaying stage 1-1 so often is getting silly.

You and me both.

I think it is high time for me to admit that I am jaded to anything remotely Nintendo anymore or at least to their recent first party games. Just got to world 6 and have been nothing but bored out of my mind playing this. Nothing appeals to me whatsoever. I've been actively paying more attention to the music and it doesn't do anything for me at all. I miss the epic production values and the intricate design of the galaxy games. This is just another Mario game going through the motions. I particularly do not understand how I went from fighting bowsers kids to random boss designs, all of which I can beat with my eyes close,

My biggest beef is that for some odd reason, I cannot get used to the plat forming and jump mechanics. I'm always watching my shadow. I do not have this problem with the 3d space in the galaxy games.

Having also just beaten 3d land, I can't helper think that that game was far superior in every way. It feels more of a nes Mario in 3d space.

I just have nothing positive to say about this, personally, when I look at this compared to previous entries. I am not saying it's a bad game, but it get no magician out of this and it simply isn't for me.

What?

This game is literally 3d land but with tons more polish and original ideas and all around a better game. I can't fathom how you thought 3d land was better then 3d world.

I don't understand people talking about Cat suit like a God mode. It's so different from the tanooki suit and I died many times before starting to control it properly.

The cat suit is a game changer. I think because of it, we have a much more vertical design in this game than you'll find in 3D land. My impression is that the dev here thought of a suit and said let's build design around that suit rather than have the suit compliment the design.

3D land rips ideas straight for Mario 3 and I may just prefer that end castles and bullet trains and horizontal playing fields to what's here. There are no gimmicks to its design in my opinion.

The 3D effect in 3D land also makes timing and aiming jumps easier for me. In this game I'm either watching my shadow or moving the camera (which I really find distracting).

I'll give you the 3d effect made platforming easier though 3d land had plenty of vertical platforming and the cat suit only really changes a few green star/stamp locations. 3d land always gave out waaay too much Tanooki suit which trivialized that games platforming, this game thankfully gives out the tanooki suit way less.

Though you are right, they had the idea of mario moving on all fours and climbing walls before they finalized on the cat suit according to the iwata ask.

Also you say this game doesn't have the feel of galaxy which is why it does nothin for you, and then say you liked 3d land for being more nes in design? 3d world is way more galaxy in its stage designs then 3d land especially in the post game worlds. They very easily could have called this game galaxy 3, curved things a bit more and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference until 3 more players joined in.

CassSept

OK, final level is amazing. The best level in the series and the one where SM3DW controls really shine. So fun, so exciting, most enjoyable level in the whole game.

As a matter of fact right now I'm replaying the level in my head to try to align jumps perfectly.

On my first try I got to beep blocks section and then proceeded to die 15 times before getting there again, heh. But it's so fun, I just shrug off every death (including dumb ones, like jumping into abyss the second I respawn because Mario turned weirdly just before the jump.

Though I'm not too hot on beep block implementation in Champion Road. Without musical cues it feels somewhat misguided. Not as good as SMG2, or even previous SM3DW uses

PS. SMG2 OST is the king of Mario soundtracks. Truthfact.

Gambit

I don't understand people talking about Cat suit like a God mode. It's so different from the tanooki suit and I died many times before starting to control it properly.

agreed. I share your sentiment.

zlCfzRNlwawkTzpGEu

Cat Suit is good, but Tanooki is great. Also, I think out of all the characters cat Mario looks the least interesting

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Please tell me I can somehow disable the gamepad gyro, it's annoying as shit on this toad level and keeps messing with the camera while I try to blow in the mic.

agreed. I share your sentiment.

zlCfzRNlwawkTzpGEu

Cat Suit is good, but Tanooki is great. Also, I think out of all the characters cat Mario looks the least interesting
I'm in love with both, I just don't think that we can talk about casual style or easy mode when both costumes are designed in a different way and for different levels. Cat Mario took some practice

Fabrik

Banned
You know for someone that has the goddamned Mario 3 logo as their avatar, you'd think that YOU out of all people on this forum would be completely enthralled by this (basically a) masterpiece of a title and a complete love letter to much of SMB 3's design.

I know! But I think SMB 3 had a more coherent world, the world map was new at the time (and with secrets, shorcuts and so on, the map in SM3DW is just there for show) and it felt like an adventure. It's what I miss the most. Also, the unlocking process is kind of bad in SM3DW. Only the two last worlds require green stars to unlock, it's not as progressive as SM3DL, so there's less regular rewards, you feel you have seen everything much more quicker than in SMG or even SM3DL. That said, it's still a brilliant game far above all other platforming games released this year.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I found a wonderful little nook for a koopa shell.. threw it in.. jumped in.. and now I have CrownCrownCrown lives...

no idea how many that actually is.. I wasn't watching for most of it lol. but I had been skating around 3 - 10 lives for the last several hours (worlds 8 - 9) so i had quite a lot of close calls.. what happens if you lose all your lives? I don't think i'll ever find out now...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

It takes time to get used to. On precision platform sections the air charge move can be deadly if you press run/attack button in air by mistake e.g.

CassSept

Only the two last worlds require green stars to unlock, it's not as progressive as SM3DL, so there's less regular rewards, you feel you have seen everything much more quicker than in SMG or even SM3DL.

That's a good point. I feel like the game was on the short side as far as 3D Mario games go, but I look at stats and see that I spent comparable amount of time to SMG/SMG2. Yet somehow, SM3DW feels much shorter. Dunno, maybe it's exactly that, maybe it's
too long stretch of remix levels at the end. The game peaks at Star World and then the remix levels come and come and come and come without end, and most of them aren't even that creative or challenging spins on the originals.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I died so many times with the cat suit as a result of performing the leaping jump from a great height nd flying off the edge of a stage. I just laugh.

Sendou

I died so many times with the cat suit as a result of performing the leaping jump from a great height nd flying off the edge of a stage. I just laugh.

The suit would be even more amazing in some levels (like the savannah) if that leap would continue as long as you hit something solid.

Does 2 players games count in completing the levels with all the characters or it has to be single player?

Counts with up to 4 players.

If you want to "cheat" but are alone and have 4 controllers, you can play alone until the flagpole, activate the other players, position them close around the flagpole and jump in pairs. The flagpole will draw towards it if done correctly. GameXplain has a youtube video about it

Sendou

I don't know why you would want to cheat like that. The game is good enough to warrant playing each stage four times with a different character.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
my fav level so far with the cat suit is must mount dash though :p

that leaping jump in downhill section

caligula13

Gold Member
I never had problems with the 3D space in the Galaxy games or in 3D Land.

In this game it is so hard to jump on the enemies or on platforms. what happened? is it just me?

Sendou

In this game it is so hard to jump on the enemies or on platforms. what happened? is it just me?

Well in 3D Land there was actual 3D so that made it easier. You might want to play close attention to the shadow below the characters in 3D World. It takes some time to get used to but after that you feel like a ninja.

I personally don't have this problem that much, but i told my gf to watch the shadows more and draw imaginairy lines between mario's feet and the objects.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Multiplayer counts.

Counts with up to 4 players.

If you want to "cheat" but are alone and have 4 controllers, you can play alone until the flagpole, activate the other players, position them close around the flagpole and jump in pairs. The flagpole will draw towards it if done correctly. GameXplain has a youtube video about it

Cool, thanks for the answers. So two rounds of co-op plus a new round with the unlockable character should do it. With the new missions from Pikmin 3 DLC and the limited time I have for gaming I should be covered until DKC comes.

maxcriden

Posting this again because I was hoping for more ideas.

Full game replay question, spoilers within:

For each remaining character besides Luigi, who should I use for each of the
four
conditions:

no coins
no touching enemies
no power-ups
none of the above

Thanks guys!

zigg

I think it's important to remember where Galaxy came from. Planetoids weren't just a really sweet platforming idea, but also a camera idea. They helped line up the camera with where you were going.

3D Land effectively dropped that whole idea and replaced it with lining up the camera and Mario's movement in 3D space to 8-way, and then offered stereoscopic 3D to help gauge depth. It worked pretty well.

3D World then dropped the stereoscopic element without really replacing it, so it can be a bit tricky. All you've got to rely on now is the shadows, and they're not always as visible as they ideally would be.

I haven't played very far, only got to world 3 last night, but that's because I kept going back and cleaning up on missing stars, stamps and gold flagpoles from my co-op sessions with my GF.

I've got everything so far in both worlds 1 and 2... I think.

I personally don't have this problem that much, but i told my gf to watch the shadows more and draw imaginairy lines between mario's feet and the objects.
Its just so hard to judge the depth perception. And you don't even fall deep into the abyss like older Marios, just enough to watch your character's body go "poof" over the hole

caligula13

Gold Member
I think it's important to remember where Galaxy came from. Planetoids weren't just a really sweet platforming idea, but also a camera idea. They helped line up the camera with where you were going.

3D Land effectively dropped that whole idea and replaced it with lining up the camera and Mario's movement in 3D space to 8-way, and then offered stereoscopic 3D to help gauge depth. It worked pretty well.

3D World then dropped the stereoscopic element without really replacing it, so it can be a bit tricky. All you've got to rely on now is the shadows, and they're not always as visible as they ideally would be.

that is exactly what i was thinking. it is so strange (and funny) to see nintendo removing things only to making it harder to play although they tried everything to make 3D Mario easier to handle.

Definitely not just you. I've struggled with this, especially in the beginning, despite breezing through 3D Land. It was like someone had taken away my depth perception.

Estimating the size of objects relative to my character, relying on shadows to place landings, and using floaty Peach helped out a lot. But there are still times when I find myself in mid-air with no clear idea where I'm going to land until it's too late.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
that is exactly what i was thinking. it is so strange (and funny) to see nintendo removing things only to making it harder to play although they tried everything to make 3D Mario easier to handle.

It is an anecdotical evidence, but my girlfriend who has issues playing NSMBU (speciall with timing the jump) is having less issues in Mario 3d World for whatever reason.

Zing

Banned

I have the same problem. I feel it is the pseudo analog control at fault. It forces you to the eight-way directions despite the gamepad removing the eight-way notches on the analog stick. That and the removal of the spin, which has probably saved more lives than you could count.

This is definitely the most difficult Mario game to control, with d pad or analog. Even worse than Mario Sunshine, and that was a nightmare for me with its twitchy controls and poor camera.

Pitmonkey

Anyone having problems with the massive "Dead" zone in the Wii U Pads (same on pro controller) analog sticks? Seems to be a massive amount of "nothing" than a whole lot of movement. Not the first game I've noticed it, either.

Dr.Hadji

I really wouldn't say the planetiods helped in the placement of a better camera for platforming. The spherical nature of the planets did help in creating a camera that didn't need to be micro-managed. But as far having tricky jumping angles, Galaxy has its fair share (Galaxy2 has a lot if you try and go for those green stars). Not only that, but when the camera decides to whip around the planet to give you a better view it can often jack with your controls, changing the relative directions as your still holding forward on the analog stick. The same thing happens when you're to close to multiple gravity sources. Then there are all sorts of tricky hold-ups involved when you're trying to orbit a non-spherical planet.

I loves my Galaxies but in no way is that wild beast known as planetoid gravity more tamed than what's being done in 3d World.

Rehynn

This reminds me: It's a bummer the butt stomp is not jump-cancellable in this game like in NSMB. At least you can cancel the cat claw-dive with a butt stomp.

Downhome

I've been taking my time with this one, playing it between other games. I just got to the
Japan/China
themed level. Oh man, so good, I loved that to death. The music was incredible as well. There are parts in the song, little effects, that I literally had no clue was coming from my speakers and thought it was something in the other part of the house or outside. I even had to ask my wife what it was, or if it was coming from her playing Animal Crossing on the 3DS.

If you guys aren't playing it using a surround sound system then you really should get on it. I LOVE the surround sound effects from a lot of the Wii U games, especially the first party Nintendo titles. It's amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Mystery House Marathon with every character. Was easier than I expected, it's not really difficult to get through it once you start figuring out the tricks for each room. Toad took two tries, and the unlockable character only took one. Big improvement from Mario and Luigi each taking around 20 or so.

zlCfzRNnFFs2a77gio

the amount of lives we lost in co-op lulz ._.

Co-op burns through lives so fast it's crazy. Especially when you're playing with people who like to try to kill each other. Those round transport things on the carnival themed levels always mean death, because someone always throws everyone else off to their death.

Top Bottom