• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Roo

This one wasn't incredible, but you're calling SMG's bosses "complex"?
Not the fights per se but the galaxies prior to fighting Bowser represented way more challenge compared to that thing I just went trough in 3D World.

Keep playing if you want more challenge. Because holy **** does it go up afterwards.
Actually, I'm very happy with the game's difficulty as a whole and I'm sure it will be harder from now on. I was just expressing how underwhelming that Bowser fight is.

I wish the Best Times for each stage were broken down to hundredths of a second. And that there were proper friend leaderboards (especially since, for whatever reason, I've never seen anyone else's ghost Mii).

There's always posting to Miiverse I guess.

I do agree about the Bowser showdown being underwhelming; it felt odd for something in a Mario game to be almost pure spectacle over interesting gameplay. Felt more like a victory run. A pretty one.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
As a former Xbox fan, very true. Mario 3D World feels very true to how games used to be (before DLC)

I am still a pretty big fan of a lot of the games on the Xbox, but their dlc-policy, the always online stuff, and how they wont let you transfer your digital stuff over to their next console, is really bad imo - and then we havent even mentioned the paying for online stuff they do. Sony is also going in the same direction, and I am also worried Nintendo will eventually. In a way, its kinda good they are so far behind on everything, because it makes them less likely to succed with stuff like this.

Bought the game again for the limited edition sleeve, it wasn't included the store I pre-ordered it >.>

What is this?

maxcriden

What is this?

I think he's talking about this:

mGMEPLRkzJcNOrH5SEu_R_A.jpg

LE with furry sleeve.

Albo

VLTTP, Just completed 3D LAND 100%, went in with a skeptical mindset as I was fond of the more open 3D mario's while growing fatigued with 2D mario formula, but ended up loving it and its blend of the two formulas. If 3D World is any where near as good, then I'll be happy. From what I've read it surpasses it. Can't wait to dig into this game.

NeonZ

I do agree about the Bowser showdown being underwhelming; it felt odd for something in a Mario game to be almost pure spectacle over interesting gameplay. Felt more like a victory run. A pretty one.

I think the idea is to make the final boss a platforming challenge, rather than a direct combat one, since the game is focused on platforming, not combat.

Ragus

Banned
17 hours in and I still have yet to complete
13th world and unlock 14th one.

I remember that there was a thread here on gaf, where someone claimed, that is was and 8 hour long adveture. AHAHAHHA.

How can one complete this game in 8 hours? No green stars and hitting eject button after 8 worlds?

klier

I am in the 8th World (the lava world with the castle logo), how many worlds left for me?

I am kind of slowly playing because I don't want it to end...and I have enough PS4 stuff laying around..

VLTTP, Just completed 3D LAND 100%, went in with a skeptical mindset as I was fond of the more open 3D mario's while growing fatigued with 2D mario formula, but ended up loving it and its blend of the two formulas. If 3D World is any where near as good, then I'll be happy. From what I've read it surpasses it. Can't wait to dig into this game.

Easily surpasses it imo. I'm pretty sure you're gonna love it.

maxcriden

I remember that there was a thread here on gaf, where someone claimed, that is was and 8 hour long adveture. AHAHAHHA.

How can one complete this game in 8 hours? No green stars and hitting eject button after 8 worlds?

I thought there are only
12 worlds total? 8 plus 4 post-game worlds?

Or am I being trollol'd?

Robin64

Unfortunately yes, with something like this game, there are people who will rush through and stop after the 8th world is beaten, then citing that as the time needed to complete the game.

I bought one for this and wind waker, and I'm not regretting anything.

Just got a PS4, but tbh have been playing on my PS3 more!

Would love to restart Wind Waker again, but just have a nagging feeling the console will drop in price even more post Christmas. What do you think?

Mario looks so much fun though and the perfect Christmas game!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the idea is to make the final boss a platforming challenge, rather than a direct combat one, since the game is focused on platforming, not combat.

3D Land did it better, in my opinion. Probably one of the only things it does better than 3D World.

I have to say I prefer the battles though. Have a platforming challenge on the way to it for the best of both worlds. That's basically how it worked previously anyway.

Robin64

Final boss as a platform challenge? Awesome idea, 3D Land did it beautifully.
Making that platform challenge a slow auto-scrolling setup? Terrible.

Deku Tree

Thanks! Is there any difference between the gold cat bell power up
and the brown colored one that you can pickup later in the game?

I'll be honest, I've had no desire to play this game single player since my friend left after Thanksgiving. We had a blast playing through the entire game two player, but none of the stages have really called out to me mostly due to their low replay value (we easily obtained a majority of the stars and stamps). Definitely a great game that was polished to the max, but man after that new feeling passed, I'm a little disappointed with the longevity of the experience. I think I put in around 10 hours and that includes the bonus worlds after the last Bowser area.

maxcriden

So I lost quite a few lives trying to get all three stars in one run in Red Hot Run last night. My wife was exceptionally patient with me.* Thank goodness for
the green pipe with the invincibility star and a zillion goombas.

*Thankfully it wasn't like Dreadnought Galaxy's Purple Coins, I think we were up till 3:30 or 4 that night and I was starting to become delirious...one of the trickiest Mario levels ever to me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got a pro controller today, getting ready for many hours of post-game frustration :p

Initial impression: buttons and right stick should've switched places, otherwise it feels great in hands. It is really really light.

taybul

So I lost quite a few lives trying to get all three stars in one run in Red Hot Run last night. My wife was exceptionally patient with me.* Thank goodness for
the green pipe with the invincibility star and a zillion goombas.

*Thankfully it wasn't like Dreadnought Galaxy's Purple Coins, I think we were up till 3:30 or 4 that night and I was starting to become delirious...one of the trickiest Mario levels ever to me.

Green shell trick, buddy. Go to 1-2, hop on a koopa close to a wall so that when it comes back to you you hop on it again.

Deku Tree

Green shell trick, buddy. Go to 1-2, hop on a koopa close to a wall so that when it comes back to you you hop on it again.

Yeah I still have about 1000 lives. There is a video of the trick on IGN and other places. If your going for total completion it is a big help.

eXistor

The more I play (sweeping up those last stars, stamps and flags for
champions road
the more I love and appreciate the game. I loved it from the very beginning, but was ever so slightly disappointed in the game and how fast I was going through it. The further you get, you realize the insane variation the game offers (almost everything is unique from level to level, it's quite amazing). It's also ridiculously replayable, the levels are so well designed you could replay them in different ways forever (sp/exploring, sp/speedrunning, mp/explore, mp/speedrun).

It already surpassed Galaxy 2 for me, let's see if it can achieve God-Tier status, it's getting mighty close now. It just feels like this is pure, unadultered Mario goodness. As much as I love and even prefer the more open adventurous style Mario's like 64; as a pure platformer, this one probably takes the cake as being the best representation of what Mario truly is. The pure essence if you will.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah I still have about 1000 lives. There is a video of the trick on IGN and other places. If your going for total completion it is a big help.

Ah, thanks for letting me know a video is out there finally. I cant do the trick worth a damn. I could never do the trick in the original SMB1 either.

CassSept

On a technical level the sound sure is great, the variety is impressive, but I do feel like the soundtrack is forgettable for the most part. Sure, some track do stand out, but most of the rest blends together. It's hard to recreate Galaxies' soundtracks, sure, but it's still a great soundtrack!

Gsnap

Ah, thanks for letting me know a video is out there finally. I cant do the trick worth a damn. I could never do the trick in the original SMB1 either.

There are spots where you can do it without having to do anything yourself.

At the very beginning of the level, where you ground pound the purple blocks to get to the lower room, take a shell to the small doorway and do the trick in the doorway. Throw the shell then immediately jump. You'll get hit once, making you small, but then once you're small the character will bounce on their own and the counter will go up super fast because the space is so small you hit the shell at a higher rate.

Here.

Obviously don't click the link if you don't wanna know, folks. : )

JakeD

i finally something i really dislike about this game. after playing for a ton of time and going back to NSMBU, it makes the controls in NSMBU feel really bad. well, not really bad, but it feels like mario is sliding all over the place

Son Of D

Recently did
Blast Block Skyway
with Mario without the Tanooki suit. It was quite intense actually, especially that long slope.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I agree on the final boss,
should've learned from 3D land, and not gone for that auto-scroll stuff

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'll be honest, I've had no desire to play this game single player since my friend left after Thanksgiving. We had a blast playing through the entire game two player, but none of the stages have really called out to me mostly due to their low replay value (we easily obtained a majority of the stars and stamps). Definitely a great game that was polished to the max, but man after that new feeling passed, I'm a little disappointed with the longevity of the experience. I think I put in around 10 hours and that includes the bonus worlds after the last Bowser area.

10 hours to get all the stars and stamps? You're a Kamek-level wizard my friend

No one else thinks fhe music isn't good...?

saying that isn't good is a gross exaggeration imo, but it really pales in comparison of SMG's and more recently, ALBW. I definitely love the World Bowser theme and all the jazzy energetic pieces, but it's a bit on the forgettable side. The number of Gusty Garden remixes didn't really add anything, original version is still the best music Nintendo has ever produced (again, imo)

japtor

I actually went back to 3D Land recently to finish off the extra stuff I never did (i.e. every level with both guys and gold flag everything for the final level), I forgot how good it was. I noticed some concessions in World after getting back to Land, mainly that Land's levels are a lot tighter and the camera seemed to move around more. I'm not sure I'd consider the former any better or worse, just really different feeling. The camera angles in Land seemed to make make it a bit easier for platforming, along with the 3D of course. World is more strict and usually farther out, necessary for multiplayer but I think also just cause they can show more cause the bigger screen.

Now I want 3D Land levels as DLC for 3DW. And cross buy with the digital copy of the 3DS game!
Recently did
Blast Block Skyway
with Mario without the Tanooki suit. It was quite intense actually, especially that long slope.
There's a simple trick to that actually (if I'm thinking of the right level):
rotate the camera, line up with the center and run straight forward.

I figured it out from one of the Miiverse comments: half ass it.

maxcriden

Oh, I know about this. Thank you though. I enjoy the frustration of getting a game over too much to want more lives than I can naturally get playing the game without tricks. I'll do one-up rallys if I see them but that's about it. I don't think we've had more than 30 lives the whole game.... :)

(BTW, made it to
World Mushroom tonight. Cool remixes so far. Amazing how much content is in the game.
)

Also, re:
Star World's final level with the cannons. For all my attempts I could not jump on those cannonballs to get to the top of the pillars just before the checkpoint flag. I had to farm a cat suit. It's going to be pretty tricky to pull that off on a no power-up run. It also took me a while to figure out that the cannon can shoot further, I couldn't get those ! blocks at all at first....

Top Bottom