• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Teknoman

They really should use that slogan in an add campaign. I don't think there are many 1st world humans under 40 that haven't had Nintendo games in their life at some point.

I wanna see Nintendo go back to 90s level aggressive campaigns just for the hell of it.

I may be thinking too far ahead but I think we should call the next |OT| Climbing Up The Walls

Don't kill me if you hate Radiohead.

Mariolee

Dude I'm pretty occupied with my ps4 at the moment too but if I could play SM3DW right now I'd drop that dualshock in a heartbeat.

This.

379ch.gif

Hakai

And you don't see the logic flaw in that?

There isn't one. As far as we know YI it was meant to be a sequel to SMW (since it was actually named SMW 2), but it was so unique that became it is own beast and then became it's own series, with Yoshi Story.

SMgamer83

While you may not get fired, as far as I understand it, they don't take too kindly to bragging about when you get product early. Often with games they are explicit and say to not post to the net or social media about it. So while likely no biggie, I'd be careful if I were you. (and I'm not talking out my ass here.)

I want to turn my Wii U on and see if it's already up on the JPN eShop and buy it...
But I don't have time to play it right now with Tales of Symphonia I need to finish platinuming, then LRFF13 next week and FFX/X-2 HD + Bravely Default next month >_<

Timeaisis

While you may not get fired, as far as I understand it, they don't take too kindly to bragging about when you get product early. Often with games they are explicit and say to not post to the net or social media about it. So while likely no biggie, I'd be careful if I were you. (and I'm not talking out my ass here.)

Well, I figured out who you are, but won't say for anonymity reasons and such. I will say I enjoyed your last game, though. :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
..While Japan is already playing it.

Man, even I cracked a grin when I heard that music on Switchfoot Falls. An original and catchy song on one of the more interesting levels. That's what I'm talking about.

balohna

Yeah, I saw that. What I meant is they should do a series of commercials like that with different types of people, like people in their 30s/40s playing casual/fitness stuff, people in their teens/20s playing hardcore games, families playing together. Do like 5 ads where they're just talking about how awesome it is and be like "Because it's Nintendo." etc. etc.

I think it would be pretty effective. Maybe they already have that in the pipeline and the 3DS commercial was just the first step.

balohna

Yoshi's Island has nothing to do with classic Mario. It's the definition of a spin-off. Just because they threw the SMW2 in front of it does not make it a Mario game. It's like calling Wario Land a Mario game because it says Super Mario Land 3 at the beginning. That's how they tricked people into buying their new IP with different gameplay.

Yeah, but it's so good that I would consider it "required reading" for anyone interested in Mario.

Plus, it introduced the following mechanics:
  • Ground pound
  • Red coins
  • Hovering Yoshi

That have since become returning tropes in the series.

Drago

Hasn't Miyamoto gone on record saying he considers Yoshi's Island as a 2D Mario game? Let me look for it

Edit:
- Miyamoto does consider Yoshi's Island as part of the Mario series

Found it on Go Nintendo, from a Game Informer interview. :)

I can't believe I only just noticed it's going H2H against the Xbone in the US and the PS4 in Europe.

And it'll likely review better than anything on either console this year.

maxcriden

Wait, you can do that, and it adds up?

DKCR spoilers:

Yes, in DKCR3D at least. Once you beat all of the K levels, you unlock the Golden Temple (in DKCR3D it's a whole new world of levels called Cloud, culminating in the Golden Temple level; in the original Wii version it's one level). When you beat this you unlock Mirror Mode, which are mirrored versions of all of the games levels, which scroll right to left. You do not get Diddy in this mode and you only get one heart. You can get up to 200% in the game beating these levels.

They spoiled the secret playable character in the middle of it. :lol

They've done this a tonne of times; you must get 'the secret character' quite easily/early on in the game, no? No chance would they reveal end-game content in trailers?

EDIT:
Looked it up on the wiki - supposedly you do unlock her by finishing the game. Maybe end-game content is still like 50% of the game to go?

calipha

Neo Member
Found a neat trick to do. If you ground pound with ZL or ZR and continue holding one of those buttons till you reach the ground and then press jump, you'll do a bigger jump that will launch you into the air and tiny stars will fly out of your character. :D

zroid

Banned
Is there actually anyone here who doesn't know whom the secret character is yet? I mean... Nintendo has made it nigh impossible to avoid this info, unless you're on media blackout. But then you wouldn't be here.

maxcriden

Is there actually anyone here who doesn't know whom the secret character is yet? I mean... Nintendo has made it nigh impossible to avoid this info, unless you're on media blackout. But then you wouldn't be here.

Sure, I have no idea who the secret character is.

In Tropical Freeze....

Mik2121

Can't wait to go home today and back to this game. Yesterday I went all the way to W2-2 I believe, and got most of the green stars on the way there. Only missing the second green star on the first level, but I'll go and check it out later.

Anyway... this game is amazing!

Top Bottom