• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Shinta

Banned
So I bought a Wii U(Mario and Luigi version) today for 3D World. I'm finding that I really really don't like 2D Mario games anymore. Like at all. Fortunately I also bought Zelda HD. Gonna tear that one up after 3D World. Hopefully find someone to buy Mario-Luigi off me and use the money towards Pikmin.

I'm kind of the opposite. Haven't had any interest in the NSMB series until U. Then I got Luigi U and I'll be getting NSMB 2 soon. They're great on off-TV play.

The 3D games are vastly superior though. But still, they offer some interesting platforming, and the level designs are always charming.

So I bought a Wii U(Mario and Luigi version) today for 3D World. I'm finding that I really really don't like 2D Mario games anymore. Like at all. Fortunately I also bought Zelda HD. Gonna tear that one up after 3D World. Hopefully find someone to buy Mario-Luigi off me and use the money towards Pikmin.

You should also try The Wonderful 101.

Dukey

Banned
You should also try The Wonderful 101.

I still haven't hit the store yet to see what demos there are to try. I tried to post to Miiverse from NSMBU but it won't let me. Says something about needing to go to Miiverse and set it up, but I had already done that. I can post on Miiverse, but apparently not from the game. Parental stuff is all off.

Shinta

Banned
I still haven't hit the store yet to see what demos there are to try. I tried to post to Miiverse from NSMBU but it won't let me. Says something about needing to go to Miiverse and set it up, but I had already done that. I can post on Miiverse, but apparently not from the game. Parental stuff is all off.

Yeah, that's not normal. You can post from any game, especially that one. That's the most active board on there.

Neiteio

I still don't understand why they fiddled with the physics in 2D Mario. In the original trilogy and SMW, Mario jumped on a dime, stopped on a dime, and more or less controlled with laser-like precision. I know that precise platforming is still possible in the NSMB series, and I appreciate additions like wall-jumping, but man it feels like you're slow to accelerate and slow to stop and 10 times the weight of sprite Mario when you play NSMBU.

The games are a riot in multiplayer, but you'll probably get better bang for your buck selling 'em and buying Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101, two titles I can recommend without hesitation (although play the demo to TW101 three times to learn the intricacies of the game -- it's overwhelming at first but it will click).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
We haven't seen a single image of HD snow from Nintendo. Now we know its in the game. Shows 7 worlds just in this image for the ice world.

The hell are you people talking about.

super-mario-3d-world-snow.jpg

smazwd14.jpg

smazwd3.jpg

If it's possible I'm planning on creating two save files. One to complete the game but not restart if I die, mess about on and play multiplayer and another save file to play solo and perfect with no deaths etc.

I did the same with 3D Land. Played normally first and then did it again but perfect runs so to speak. I'm I weird?

Nope, I did that too when it came out :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
yessss yesssss let the hate run through you

let it consume you

turn on mario

Linkhero1

By far, the worst level trope in the 2D(now 3D?) Mario series.

2nd worst is the auto-scrolling levels, which don't let me play at my own pace and usually go verrrrrry slooooooowly

This was the most annoying thing in NSMB. Do not want anymore auto-scrolling ghost houses.

Linkhero1

You know what? I think I actually like Ghost Houses. The only series I've ever disliked Ghost Houses was the NSMB series. Thinking back to SM64 and the Ghost Themed planets in the Galaxy games, I enjoyed them very much.

What, you don't like waiting for a door to slowly float down to you, a door that may or may not be the door you need?

Those were the worst! The sad thing is sometimes I'd go weeks without playing and I would need to return to those levels to collect a coin or two. Often times I would forget about the dummy doors.

RagnarokX

Indeed. Even though 3D World has environment-themed worlds, some levels don't follow them, similar to 3D Land. There's a grassland level in World 2 (desert), for example.

I did see a screenshot that looked like it might have been a snowy ghost level, though. Not sure what world it is in.

Darryl

Banned
The ghost house in Super Mario 64 was some grade-A gaming titty, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Who could forget the barking piano, the flying books or the eyeball in the shed?

Yea that one is fantastic.

I just don't like when they force you into them. Ideally, somewhere around mid game a whole world filled with just ghost houses would open up and have it be entirely optional. That's sort of like what happened with Mario 64. That way I could finish up the game normally and come back for them later.

Shinta

Banned
What, you don't like waiting for a door to slowly float down to you, a door that may or may not be the door you need?

I think the scrolling works in ghost levels. It's all about timing, and the anxiety involved with having to wait in a slowly moving area while invincible ghosts advance on you from both sides.

Teknoman

I don't hate em, but can be my least favorite part of the games.

I think one area that 64 did well. Actually liked that one

Ghost houses in Mario games are usually pretty cool, but NSMBU were bothersome. Except that painting background area, that was awesome.

fred

You know whats really going to be insane? Rainbow Road 8.

With antigravity F-zero tech going, I just cant even imagine...probably will be traveling through wormholes or something.

Yup, I know. Mario Kart 8 looked like the dog's bollocks when it was first revealed and it's had a fair amount of dev time since then. Can't wait to see how good it's going to look by the time it launches.

Hello.

Banned
I did see a screenshot that looked like it might have been a snowy ghost level, though. Not sure what world it is in.
Hmm, yeah, I think I saw one too. Ah well, we'll see when the day comes.
Ghost houses in Mario games are usually pretty cool, but NSMBU were bothersome. Except that painting background area, that was awesome.
Ghost Houses are usually pretty cool because they are the few levels, if not the only ones, in the mainstream Mario games that are puzzle-orientated and therefore have unique designs.

The problem with the NSMB Ghost Houses is that they're lackluster compared to other Ghost Houses. Super Mario World probably had the best kinds, and the Galaxy games had better designs even though they weren't very puzzleish.

This is just nitpicky, but I also don't like the NSMB Ghost House music, either. It was kinda annoying.

Im stuck between this and zelda and Zelda is my favorite but im gonna go ahead and buy this first my 3DS has gotten so much love. Would have money if i didnt spend to much at ps4 launch.

OryoN

HOT DAMN! That next-gen screen-shot thread is about to get a Mario makeover. It's inevitable!

The scary part is; There's absolutely nothing PS4/XB1 can offer to prevent it, for the next couple months or so.
(BF4 with it's endless "only in battlefield" moments may be a contender, but that's better seen in a gif thread. Plus, it needs some serious patching right now. Mario will dominate the console pics)

I can see a number of bans coming already from the ensuing chaos... both to the arrogant, and to the salted. A storm is coming...

TnK

DKCR spoilers:

Yes, in DKCR3D at least. Once you beat all of the K levels, you unlock the Golden Temple (in DKCR3D it's a whole new world of levels called Cloud, culminating in the Golden Temple level; in the original Wii version it's one level). When you beat this you unlock Mirror Mode, which are mirrored versions of all of the games levels, which scroll right to left. You do not get Diddy in this mode and you only get one heart. You can get up to 200% in the game beating these levels.
I finished both cloud levels and got the mirror. I am really thankful it does not add up on the wii, I would have gone for it.

Lumyst

Strange though that the Sprixie Kingdom looks an awful like the Mushroom Kingdom. ;)

I wonder if there'll be more "playing with expectations" on the Mushroom Kingdom motifs though. There's the glass blocks and the transparent pipes so maybe glass could play a role somehow, but at the very least everything gets a lovely coat of gloss.

For real, everyone knows Jesus played 3D World and ALBW!

What?

The Zelda series does seem to have biblical influences. The triforce, the trinity. Courage = Jesus, power = Father, wisdom = holy ghost.

Link is also left handed. Warriors of God are left handed in the Bible.

Top Bottom